Catapults are Objects.
Catapults are turret-like objects that hurl poison, fire, lightning, and cold bombs high into the sky. Catapult fire is only loosely related to the presence of catapults. Catapults can be seen firing, but that animation is not directly connected to the catapult bombs that rain down from above; multiple bombs may land at once when only a single catapult is operational.
Catapult shots are most often encountered when approaching a catapult from the front. They chiefly fire at targets 2-3 screens away, in front of them. Catapults will not fire to the sides or backwards, and will not shoot at targets within visual range of themselves. (Though a second catapult off the screen may fire at you when you are destroying the first one.)
Destroying all of the catapults decreases the number of shots coming in, but passing through certain areas, most notably the center of the fortified areas in the Arreat Foothills, other 2, will always trigger a volley of catapult shots, even when there are no catapults left in the area or on the entire level.
Damage from catapult shots, especially poison, was much higher in earlier verisons of D2X. Deaths from the poison drain were not uncommon for new characters just entering Act Five, after the negligible importance of poison resistance over the first four acts. Mercs were especially prone to poison deaths, and expert players took to carrying antidotes for their mercs, or even using special equipment, such as Venom Ward just for the Bloody Foothills.
Catapults are worth experience and can drop items, but they can not be leeched from or chilled. They do not regenerate hit points.
- All values are listed by difficulty level: Normal / Nightmare / Hell.
Catapults drop items at the level of chests or barrels on the same level. Only a single item will ever be found from a catapult.
|Type||Level||Experience||Hit Points||Speed 1||Max TC/Rune|
|Catapult||34 / 60 / 80||1123 / 23928 / 88800||317-629 / 4032-4704 / 12615-19624||--||Chest|
Damage from catapult projectiles varies wildly between the damage types, so much so that it seems likely the designers simply didn't finish inputting the stats. Cold bombs don't actually do any damage at all; simply chill the target for an instant.
- Fire bombs from Catapults do damage on impact, and scatter Fire Traps that erupt into a ground flame after a few seconds, damaging anything in the area.
Norm: 65-105 over 10.3s (6.3-10.2/sec)
|3-8 / 3-8 / 3-8||0 / 0 / 0|
Catapults can not be leeched from or chilled/frozen. They do not regenerate hit points.
- Regen Rate tells what % of a monster's hit points are recovered per second. Standard is 1.2/sec.
- Blocking tells what % of successful, blockable attacks will not damage the monster. Monsters need not carry a shield to block.
- Drain Effectiveness tells what % of a character's mana and life steal apply to that monster. 100 is all, 0 is none.
- Chill Effectiveness tells what % of a character's cold length applies to the monster. 100 is all, 0 is no freeze/chill at all.
|Type||Defense||Blocking||Regen Rate||Drain Effectiveness||Chill Effectiveness|
|Catapult||38 / 285 / 547||0%||None||0 / 0 / 0||0 / 0 / 0|
- Resistances over 99% are listed as immunities and monsters will take no damage from that type of attack.
- Immunities can be "broken" by skills that lower resistance, if the value drops below 99%. See the Resistances page for more details.
|Catapult||0% / 0% / 33%||0% / 0% / 0%||0% / 0% / 0%||0% / 0% / 0%||1000% / 1000% / 1000%||0% / 0% / 20%|
Catapults are found in the same locations in all difficulty levels and patch versions.
|Catapult||Act 5: Bloody Foothills, Frigid Highlands, Arreat Plateau, Frozen Tundra|