2020 Spring RFL Sign Up and Running Thread: Round 2 (Travincal)

Welp, lots of work to be done here with my WW barb. I found a map where all the Council is on the balcony, but they're a bit scattered. I guess it makes it suboptimal. I've been practicing on it and results are very, very mediocre. Actually, they're bad. I'm stuck at 40/45s runs. I can go as low as 32 (my best), but pit stops at Cain bump up the average. I'll probably cut on them and just put everything in a GoMule file without identification to save time.

Obviously, that's my untwinked barb, so I can't optimize him as much as I'd like. For instance, I can't put my Arachnid Mesh on him, because he hasn't found one. So, no dual HotO for him (he has the runes for another one). HotO/Wiz Pike it is. Also, I stil don't have Highlord's Wrath, so I guess my offense is not as good as it could be. And the merc, even though he wears the standard GA/Kira's/Reaper's setup, dies quite often. I don't know why.

My computer is probably not helping also, because my S/E times involves about a 4s time loss. Maybe something can be done here.

I also have to practise, obviously; I'm kinda new to that optimization stuff. By the way, @ffs, absolutely fascinating stuff with your Blizz sorc video. Very informative. There are a number of things that can translate to my situation. I'll try to hunt for such vids on WW barb.

Anyway, here are the goodies I got during my map hunting/practice sessions :

Capture d’écran 2020-04-02 à 20.53.11.png
Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 16.06.24.png

My first Bartuc's !
Capture d’écran 2020-04-06 à 06.59.21.png

One of them pesky TC3 grailer I haven't had yet.
Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 14.58.36.png

But, my nicest find is this one :

Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 14.20.53.png

A perfect Fireball Ormus. That thing deserves a Fire Facet. Cool.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 14.20.53.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 14.20.53.png
    642.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 16.06.24.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-04-08 à 16.06.24.png
    975.4 KB · Views: 4
I find with WWbarb, getting them all together is less important, maybe even sub-optimal...remember that WW is NOT actually area damage like blizz... Each hit strikes one target, and you don't get to choose which! Because of this, 2 or 3 smaller groups often die alot faster than 1 big mob! I especially like it when subsequent groups tend to run up just as the initial group gets finished off, that means less chasing! Smaller groups can also mean smaller loot piles, with less clutter in any one area to obscure the drops.

WoRG

@Arctodus fwiw, i ran some trav several months ago with a ww barb with all the normal gear anyways and couldnt crack ~40s runtime average, and I pause the run counter to mule (ie no cain time). Hes a lot more difficult to get decent efficiency on that a blizz sorc. Not that 40s isn't decent efficiency, but to me feels like it takes about the same amount of skill/effort to get ~40s runs on barb as it does to get ~23s runs on blizz (we'll see if thats my long term avg though). Ofc it depends wildly on gear, just saying 40s aint bad imo.

Reactions: Arctodus
@Arctodus , also set a shortcut for no sound, "-ns" option without the quotes, if you aren't already doing so. I found it makes a huge difference in load times.

I will be running with a semi-twinked newly minted blizz sorc named Blizzness....nothing crazy gear wise....just full tal's with a 35 fcr spirit and magefists...still need to equip a merc for survivability. As usual, my placing will be more about luck than crazy fast run times .... I did find a map with all on the balcony but they are not tightly packed.

Reactions: Luhkoh and Pb_pal
@b1ur glad it helps. Merc aura is a good question – I use HF and I'd say it's a good choice for her. Never tried Defiance but could work.

@Arctodus I made a vid analyzing some of my WW Barb runs as well last year. :D If you want to check it out:

Reactions: Luhkoh and Arctodus
@ffs Thanks ! Yet again, very informative ! From what you're doing, I can see a few things I could improve :

- my whirls are not as precise as yours : I make lots of small mistakes, like the one where your barb drifted out of the balcony. My whirls in general are too long;
- my map is not as good as yours : all the Council is on the balcony, but they're split in two packs. Maybe I'll look for another one, but maybe it could help with the cluster problem ?;
- my Teleport landing spot could be improved and aimed at Toorc, since he often is sporting a Conviction aura, which is when my merc tends to die;
- I'm not as precise when I Teleport too in general, and at handling the S/E screens;
- my S/E times are also much slower.

So, all in all, lots of small mistakes that add up. I don't think my gear is the problem, because I got virtually two perfect Griefs and went with Gores and G Face. They make up for the lack of Highlord. However, my barb is a less efficient horker; he's untwinked and he doesn't have Arach yet. So, no dual HotO, which means lower FI (I'm stuck at 53% right now). So yeah, still a lot to improve gear wise. Anyway, thanks for these vids, excellent food for thoughts !

@Luhkoh It's nice to know that others share similar troubles at having super efficient time. Also because I might have overestimated my own efficiency... I was timing myself on short batch of five runs and got to an average of 42s on the first two batches. However, after 5 more of these small batches, I got an higher average of 49s... I guess I got lucky in the first few runs, because, when ''troubles'' appear (Stoneskin, Immune to Physical, Conviction, ...), my times take a hit. So yeah, still a lot of work to do to get at a stabilized 40s average. Cutting 9s on average seems a lot to me right now.

Also, I should have tried to run with my Frenzy barb a few times. It's just that he didn't had any points into FI, so he couldn't hork without Heart Carver, which meant very long Teleport times. So, he was transformed into a WW barb. I'll probably try to respec him into a Frenzy Trav barb down the road, because I have the feeling he could be decent at it. My feeling is that he could be as fast as a Zeal paladin, but probably less safe (no Holy Shield :rolleyes:). Something I wanna try out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luhkoh
@Arctodus does Holy Shield really matters? In my mind council is all about light/fire, so I don't see the use of HS there...maybe am I mistaking?

Anyway did perform a few tests, my timings with the Grief as Conviction zealer (no respec left sadly) is around 1.30 per run, somehow the only issue is with Ismail when he pops Physical immune. My maps has separate groups, so not the best, but in HC it isn't a bad news anyway to take them in smaller groups.

Another big point towards efficiency is that my merc... isn't living anyway, he just dies, so I will run without him. He will need a full pack of gearing to survive there (no reaper's for example), I'll see on the run if I find something.

Regarding survivability, well I went hard on it... Vamp gaze, SoE, dwarf star, my amulet got some magic damage reduction too, so it's a lot removed and a bit of fire absorb.

Hoping to get a Gheed's on that round, maybe facets too, but he won't hold a lot of MF, so i'll take what will be given.

The runes are also hoped for as qualifiers, but not only, as I have some other HC characters to make, and they may need some helpful stuff. Already a CoH, a CtA and a Hoto to share - alongside with the Grief, but a Beast for my skellimancer, an eth Fortitude for the mercs and even an Infinity brings any rock dropped useful. Maybe lowers too to trade for unique pieces for my builds? ;)

GL to everyone (running already in your country?), I will miss the mass start tonight due to early working hours tomorrow - it happens some days here or then.

May the Cham drop be with you! (Go go 1.07 runners, after a Zod on the previous run, get the Cham to connect to Jo! And a Sur to be connected with a Ber on the next round! Go go for the community RFL 1.07 HR grail!)

Reactions: entwilighter
Started the first set with a batch of 100 runs before bed. They were clumsy as was to be expected but I still got 20,948s avg with 10 council members skipped, so CAT of 21,140s. Last year I had times around 25s!

Already got the obligatory hat as well:
Code:
Sander's Paragon
Cap
Defense: 78
Durability: 11 of 12
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0x13982c81
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+75 Defense (Based on Character Level)
Attacker Takes Damage of 8
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Adding @Locohead, who assures me he will be signing up at the new forum shortly :)

Please state IF you are running 1.07.
-------------------------
PhineasB
Hutton
Babyhell
Nano
art_vandelay
b1ur
Arctodus
Gripphon
Kstil3227
entwilighter
ffs
CaseyJones
Ghonn
D2DC (1.07)
Peytron
Luhkoh
MrBlonde
Pb_pal
zemaj
WoRG (1.07)
maxicek
Locohead
-------------------------

I've settled on sub 30s average runs. I can easily maintain 22s average over a short period but in the long run I prefer the comfort of not worrying how much time I'll lose when I light up a cigarette and drink coffee and whatnot. Still not picking up gems as with the limited open space I'm running with it skyrockets my runtimes.

How do you guys manage identifying stuff and muling? If I were to run with 6x4 open spaces I'd definitely just make a stash and dump everything there but 3x4 fills up way too quickly. And I really don't want to drop any more vita SC's for the sake of actually surviving the round 😁

Reactions: Peytron
I think easiest is to just not ID and use stash in game but only GoMule. I only ID with scrolls in belt if I happen to want to pick up more than I can carry in a single run.

Then again I didn’t even start yet. Bad time to be drawn to fighting games again... ;)

Reactions: entwilighter
@Babyhell I too have points :p

@b1ur I really can't imagine identifying ingame anymore, it's just so grating having to make decisions on what to keep at high speed during a run. Now I just throw everything in a stash and worry about it later.

And I would definitely go for more stash space, 4x4 at least if you like to pick stuff up. Even that seems too little to me now, especially when I pick 2x2 and 1x3 stuff at the same time (GCs and Boots/Gloves are not friends). And if you have to reduce damage to do that, then so what? You probably won't be losing as much time from that as you would trying to make space in your inventory during a run or having to identify ingame all the time. But I understand that in HC making room in the inventory is a bit more tricky... ;)

For the sake of comfort of not dying and relatively quick run times I pick up - GCs, SCs, Jewels, Rare Rings, Rare Amulets, Rare Circlets, Blue Monarchs, Ral, Sol, HR's (obviously) and S/U stuff I need. If I were to run without a timer to push me I would also pick up - Gloves, Belts, Boots, Orbs, Claws, Ama Javs, Shields (Twinking...), Bows, Good Weapon types (War Axe, Crystal Sword, Flail etc.). If I start doing that my runtimes will go well into the 40s range even with a bigger inventory :D

I have points too! :p

I run with cube in inventory and 2x4 space empty. Picking rare circlets, ammies,rings,nice uniques,all runes,all jewels, many flawless gems. If I see gloves and gc, I will toss one of them in cube, etc and then gomule between games. I always create a special tourney stash for each character and round and jusy dump everything there...makes it easy to keep track of qualifiers and such.

I don't have the best map, they are all on balcony but too spread out...some runs they will bunch around me and I hit sub 35 sec...other times they scatter instead...runs closer to 55...have a 48 sec avg. Wearing full tals with no skillers and no merc (fool just won't keep himself alive and since I dont have infinity he really isn't needed) so it isn't quite the killing powerhouse as others run with.

Got points too! :)

All those spoilers... :giggle:(y)

I pick almost everything as I have kinda nothing in HC. Well few uniques but some nice/useful ones, the first facet has been dropped (4/5 cold), a Gheed's also so it helps building up MF (200+ with it, some scs, the ptopaz in the Vamp, the CoH+Rhyme mf, 43 from WTravs), some skillers (one entrapping lifer which is nice), and the ring in the IFT with 34MF, gold find and all res (that I will wear on next level, the one I use has 2 dex... that I have to replace if I want to be able the hold the Grief. Not sure it is worth losing 1 paladin skill, but i'll give it a try).

3 hours in. Not bad for non qualifiers results!

Found a perfect 60 def Twitchtroe :cool:

Im running no cube and 5x4 empty space. Gonna try running cham shako or trangs belt and see if that improves my times, but i doubt it will. I was picking all rare glove and rare boots, but I'm mostly ignoring them now since they just take up too much inventory space. 1 facet and 1 unique ring so far. Neither what I'm looking for. About 400 runs in so far and the run avg is just under 22s. Nothing amazing, but I'm pleased with that. I probably leave a lot of stragglers though. Often have a hard time even seeing who's left with all the hydras and such. Recorded a video, tips are welcome :)

100 runs in. I know that doesn't sound impressive.. but, Trav in 1.07 is like 2+ mins. Add in my combined LK runs and I am at nearly 3 mins per run. I'm giving the S/U racks a break, and going for some good magic items. Goal is to complete 1000 runs during RFL, scoring 1 qualifier, hopefully at least 1 HR from LK chests, nabbing some haxxor charms, plenty of pgs for crafting some +3 ammys, and some cool Claws/Circlets:
Code:
Rack #1 - Greater Claws (8/10 drops)
Rack #2 - Balrog Plate (3/10) or Barb Helm (6/10)
Rack #3 - Devil Star (4/10)
Rack #4 - Circlet (8/10) or Russet Armor (2/10)

Here are the highlights from 1-100 (plus a couple drops from warmup):
Runes:
Code:
Dol - 1
Ko - 1

Circlets:
Code:
Prefix 1122 Circlet of Luck
Defense: 29
Durability: 23 of 35
Required Level: 19
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x121c3288
34% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+3 to Fire Skills (Sorceress Only)

Prefix 1236 Circlet of the Vampire
Defense: 29
Durability: 25 of 35
Required Level: 66
Item Level: 88
Fingerprint: 0x54fae50b
8% Mana stolen per hit
+2 to Amazon Skill Levels

Prefix 1250 Circlet of the Squid
Defense: 28
Durability: 23 of 35
Required Level: 30
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x5dfdf837
+73 to Life
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels

Shadow Veil
Circlet
Defense: 59
Durability: 28 of 35
Required Level: 34
Fingerprint: 0x4ff2ad8e
+19 to Strength
+93% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +12
30% Faster Run/Walk
+2 to Shadow Discipline Skills (Assassin Only)

Class-Specific: (I p/u and ID a lot of these..)
Code:
Prefix 1128 Crystalline Globe of Lightning
One-Hand Damage: 10 to 26
Durability: 23 of 30
(Sorceress Only)
Required Dexterity: 20
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 24
Orb Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 93
Fingerprint: 0x40b756d
+21 to Mana
+2 to Chilling Armor (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Enchant (Sorceress Only)
+1 to Blizzard (Sorceress Only)
+3 to Cold Skills (Sorceress Only)
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Lightning on attack

Prefix 1164 Lion Helm
Defense: 69
Durability: 19 of 35
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 73
Required Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x65b93460
+3 to War Cry (Barbarian Only)
+1 to Whirlwind (Barbarian Only)
+2 to Battle Command (Barbarian Only)
+3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)

Misc:
Code:
The Minotaur
Ancient Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 103 to 204
Durability: 39 of 50
Required Strength: 125
Required Level: 45
Axe Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x7d3d4c2
+15 to Strength
+140% Enhanced Damage
+45 to Minimum Damage
+90 to Maximum Damage
Hit Blinds Target +7
Half Freeze Duration
30% Chance of Crushing Blow
Slows Target by 50%

Last edited:
@D2DC You know you're going to have to socket the godly WC helm and let us know, right? :p

Just did my best segment yet:
bestyet.png
The first few segments are worse than the pick numbers (# of picked stuff) indicate since they include some potions and an ID scroll. The last segment is the first one with 5x4 free squares instead of 4x4.

I'm really loving this Tal's setup combined with Griffon's:
Fathom '28 LRes + 9@ jewel'
Tal's Armor 'Ist'
Tal's Belt
Tal's Amu
Spirit
Griffon's 'Cham'
Hellmouth
War Traveler
10% fcr, 89 Mana, 9@ rare ring
29 Life, 27% CR, 20% MF rare ring
3xCold Skiller