Sorc Damage Optimization Spreadsheet

ffs

Feb 7, 2017
Reposted from my old thread on the SPF:

_____

Over the last couple of weeks I played around with damage optimization stuff for Sorc builds and targets from time to time. Basically wanting to check which damage range to aim for to hit sensible breakpoints against various monster types. I started to compile maximum HP and resist numbers for a few areas/monsters in order to calculate how many hits she needs to kill them. The initial product was a spreadsheet for Fire Sorc (posted here).

In the meantime I've expanded it to the main Sorc builds and added more details and functionality, such as the various boss modifiers that affect resist, Static Field casts, factoring in - enemy resist and + elemental damage stats and so on. It took me a while as I'm not well versed with spreadsheets (iudex non calculat). :rolleyes: But I played around with it quite a bit now, ironing out some inaccuracies along the way, and by now it seems to provide the right numbers and to properly reflect in-game mechanics as far as I could tell. All monster stats and damage formulas were taken form Amazon Basin, which tends to be correct. I lack the expertise to double-check them, but it seems to check out.

Link to spreadsheet

What it does:
  • Damage calculation for Sorc skills: Blizzard, Ice Blast, Fire Ball, Meteor, Lightning, Chain Lightning, Nova, Static Field.
    Calculations take into account skill points from build and gear as well as any other factors that affect damage and performance, such as -enemey res, +elemental dmg, Infinity etc. (Reason I started this in the first place was that the other skill calculation options I've used in the past didn't account for these, and to me it was very annoying to run the numbers all over again just because of small gear changes regarding these factors.)
  • Damage breakpoints for each of the above skills, namely maximum number of hits needed to kill a max HP target.
  • Targets included are monster types in popular areas (AT, Pit, Travincal, Cows...), as well as some other areas I was interested in. This can easily be expanded to further targets of course.
Details on how to use it and further explanations in spoiler below:

To use the spreadsheet, click “File” and then “Make a copy” in Google Sheets.

General:
  • Inputs, color code: The light magenta colored fields require input. Light green fields include key results. Everything else is either interim calculations or information for convenience purposes
  • Structure: On the bottom of the spreadsheet you will find tabs for these builds: Blizzard/Ice Blast, Fire Ball/Meteor, Lightning/CL and Nova. These include the main content and functionality. The other two tabs (Static Field and Target) mostly serve to provide additional functionality in the main build tabs, though they can be edited (see below).

Build tabs
These include the following main sections:
  • Equipment section: Here you can specify the items in use as well as any stats on them that affect damage performance, including + all/tree skills, - enemy resist to the relevant element and relevant + elemental damage.
  • Skill levels section: Here you can fill in the build, in particular hard skill points as well as + skill levels to individual skills. As a result, the skill dmg section spits out the raw min and max damage (or average in case of Lightning/CL), taking into account all skill points and stats from gear that increase damage.
  • Target section: Allows you to choose a target from the “Targets” tab and modify it, such as champion or unique monster type or adding modifiers that affect damage performance (Cold/Fire/Lightning Enchanted, Magic Resist, Spectral Hit). The easiest way to find a specific monster or area is to just click the field once and start typing, such as "AT" or "Meph".
  • Max hits section: Based on all of the above information, this section provides the number of hits the respective skill needs to land in order to kill a monster, for the various player settings (P1, P3, P5, P7), factoring in target resist modifiers. The Static casts input allows you to adjust target HP, simulating a certain number of preceding Static Field casts. I found this helpful to include when looking at builds that run higher player settings in particular.
  • Next BP numbers: This shows the increase of raw damage you need to get in order to hit the next min dmg breakpoint (except for Lightning/CL as the range is too huge for this to make sense). It goes from higher to lower player settings, so for example if the next P7 Fire Ball breakpoint is 13.5k and the next P1 one at 13.7k, it will show 13.5k. The numbers given here are relating to base max HP, i.e. they do not take into account reduction from possible Static casts.
Other stats are included for convenience, such as MF and uMF numbers, FCR or 1-hit and 2-hit damage numbers.

Static Field tab
Its main purpose is to calculate life reduction from Static Field casts in the scenarios specified in the respective main build tabs. Input here is only needed for cold and fire builds if wanting to adjust lightning resist factors (because enemy lightning resist matters on top of those elements). It shows some additional information on Static Field damage.

Target tab
Includes the list of target monster types, their maximum HP and base resist against cold, fire and lightning. In general this should not be edited per se, but it can be expanded to include additional targets.

I hope others find this useful. For me I found it makes exploring gearing alternatives much easier in comparison to running new calculations every time you change just a few items around.

Please feel free to check it out and I'd be happy to get feedback, in particular if you see any additions or improvements that could be made or mistakes that I didn’t catch.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High