Diablo IV! [Spoiler Thread]

I just watched the live gameplay video...

- Runes! She picks up a Vex and a Dol.
- I see you can allocate points to skills. And when she hovers over her skill bar, they all have "ranks" which I'm assuming corresponds to the number of skill points invested in them. This is probably the most important thing for me. The lack of permanent skill investment made every character feel the same for me in D3. You could make every build for a class in one character. I want each character I make to feel unique!
- The talents tab is a simplified skill tree with the talents looking like the passive skills from D3
- I'm kind of bummed out that they kept that hand-holding "this item gives you more/less defense and damage" when you hover over the items. Just give me a boatload of stats like in D2's readouts and let me decide if it's a better choice.

Last edited:
Here is another live gameplay video. Dont have time to watch it all. But, looks like plenty of info to be gathered. SoJ are slightly easier to come by. LOL

Yes! I noticed the talents at the very bottom of the tree (with the thick white arrows) actually say "you can only pick 1 talent in this tier". That's what I want to see, give us some hard choices that differentiate characters.

Has anybody seen anything about release date projections?

"Not coming soon™. Not even Blizzard Soon™."

That's it, I'm afraid. I wouldn't get your hopes up for 2020.

I'd be okay with this - 2020 looks to be packed with "must play" releases: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2, Doom Eternal, System Shock (remake), Trials of Mana, Cyberpunk 2077, Carrion, Dying Light 2 and The Outer Worlds (Steam release) are just a "few" off the top of my head!

Wow, I couldn't watch her...or rather listen to her commentary.

I just watched the live gameplay video...

- Runes! She picks up a Vex and a Dol.
- I see you can allocate points to skills. And when she hovers over her skill bar, they all have "ranks" which I'm assuming corresponds to the number of skill points invested in them. This is probably the most important thing for me. The lack of permanent skill investment made every character feel the same for me in D3. You could make the every build in one character. I want each character I make to feel unique!
- The talents tab is a simplified skill tree with the talents looking like the passive skills from D3
- I'm kind of bummed out that they kept that hand-holding "this item gives you more/less defense and damage" when you hover over the items. Just give me a boatload of stats like in D2's readouts and let me decide if it's a better choice.

Please could I trouble you for the timestamp where she picks up a Dol and Vex?

Wow, I couldn't watch her...or rather listen to her commentary.
Please could I trouble you for the timestamp where she picks up a Dol and Vex?

Hah, I know, it's pretty painful listening to her.

It was easier scrubbing through DiabloTwoinDC's video. I found where he finds the Dol and Vex at 28:01

You can see what the runes do when he sockets them into an armor at about 30:26

Last edited:
I saw just one trailer on youtube. And my initial reaction was 'isnt this what they showed as a D3 trailer?'
I did think they were very similar. Even the gameplay video above looks like what I've seen in D3 (just slightly different graphics, and a couple of old features that were re-vamped/re-designed.) The part of the gameplay trailer video was where the beast picks up the 'character' and eats it. In D4 gameplay trailer, it looks like Duriel picking up a Barbarian?

Last edited:
I remember the 2008 announcement of D3 and the Jay Wilson video of him playing the Barb. I loved the way that looked, but obviously it did not stay like that. There are a great number of ARPG's out there now for sure, and each of them do have some really cool systems and options for skills/gear/character development which I'm hoping forces the D4 devs to really concentrate on depth. I want to have to think about what I'm doing, and not have every choice handed to me, and for some choices to be permanent. Honestly I wasnt really put in mind of PoE while watching the game play videos, but overall I was satisfied with graphical direction.
One thing that disappoints me is the decision to make the game for so many platforms. Looking at it from a profit perspective I can see the reason why its being done that way, but dam I wish D4 was going to be PC only. As for the micro transaction part, there is going to be something there for sure, but I dont care. I would be willing to pay a subscription fee, or if they want to charge for character xpacs, transmogs, vanity items, wings, pets, mounts or whatever its fine with me. Pay to win must be avoided completely though. The AH made the pay to win aspect front and center, which sucked so much energy from the experience.
If they are making money off the game it will get more attention from them, and these days I dont expect anything for free. Besides, I have a job, so spending money on something I enjoy is why I work in the first place.

Seems they have learned big time after the response to D3, loved the dark visuals. Going to be years until it’s released but 100% I’ll get it, 99% I’ll enjoy it for some time at least. That was the case with D3 too though. So the real question is does it have the depth to engage people long term (like D2 but unlike D3). That’s something no trailer can answer at this point, probably not even before release and actually playing the game.

@Kitteh I feel that way with a lot of modern media. Idk if there's really that much more out there or just a byproduct of growing up, probably both. But like tv shows for example, I feel like there are some many really good tv shows coming out on so many platforms, that I'm not really excited about any of them. So I agree on video games as well, I'm over here playing D2 and super metroid ;).

Anyone else bummed that there wasn't an announcement for D2 remastered? I can't possibly comprehend having enough time to learn new games at this point in life, so the D4 announcement was expected but neither exciting nor disappointing for me. A lack of D2 remastered, however, was a bit of a bummer as I would love to play with some better graphics/resolution. I've heard (somewhere on reddit, can't find the link right now) that such an operation may be difficult/tedious to the point of being impractical, but I don't know if that's reality or not.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but I don't know why people keep think d2 remastered might happen. Not only are there rumors of technical difficulties like you mentioned, but i don't understand how it makes any sense for blizzard to spend any time on that either. Seems like there's no way it would make them any money compared to most of their projects. I feel like the devoted d2 fanbase is who would appreciate it the most, but that's a tiny population, and we would probably all complain about various changes made. Would they like charge a subscription fee? I'm just not sure how a remaster could work for them. That being said, the rumors of it being in the works seem super prevalent so who knows? I also personally don't want them to touch d2, but that's another topic :p.

@Luhkoh I think a lot of people are assuming D2 is next because after various updates to other older games (SC, WC3, WoW), D2 is the logical next choice. Doesn't mean they'll do it, but most of the other classics have gotten some "remaster" love. Given the relative success they seem to have had with the other 3 games, I do think there's now some precedent that remastering D2 would be worth their time as well.

That being said, after reading a few conversations on this very topic, I saw a lot of people floating the idea of bundling any such project with that long-sought-yet-will-never-be-developed 1.15, complete with more elite uniques, runewords, etc. For about 2 minutes, the idea really intrigued me, but I quickly settled into more-or-less your thought of "don't screw with our beloved D2" (beyond a possible graphics enhancement). Sure, it's got plenty of flaws, but at this point, they're flaws that we've all come to know and, well maybe not love, but at least appreciate. They're part of what gives D2 its unique flavor (at least to me).

Anyway, sorry to derail a little bit, @Kitteh, but this seemed like a relevant enough topic to touch on here too.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High