[Simple+] Tournament of Tournaments!

Thanks for the condolences. It was the CI death nova that got him, so at least the archer went down also :)

I've decided to go with the Orange You Glad crafting tournament - I had a Pally through to NM A2 in that tourney but ended up retiring him because I'd mistakenly created him in SC and didn't have motivation to finish and not get a Guardian. So meet Naranja, sitting in the Rogue Camp. I have a SC character in A5 Hell and plan to finish him up, so Naranja likely won't get started until later this week.

Rich (BB code):
Tournament of Tournaments Participation and Score Table
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location       S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------     ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    86    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Kstil3227     Committed2015       Druid   83    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   48    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     36    Harrogath      0      SC            05
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     31    Harrogath      0      SC            04
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     61    NM Kurast Dock 0      SC            07
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein    0      SC            01
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains    0      SC            00
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            00
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            N/A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H   0      HC            12
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     50    NM Black Marsh 0      HC            05
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   49    NM Tower       0      HC            N/A
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Vang
@Kstil3227 Congrats on the Guardian! Finding an item like Jalal's on the class that can use it, that's the stuff there. I really enjoyed your writeups!

@PhineasB Good luck on your Orange Pally

Well, I've managed to kill off my other character that was a lot more interesting to play than Monty, so now I've no choice but to continue with him. As can be expected, even being naked, Blessed Hammer steamrolls through normal, the limiting factor is he only carries 2 easily drinkable blue potions since he is unfortunately without a belt. However, Redemption does a pretty decent job in keeping the mana bulb full. I really did not have the patience to full clear Act V, so I skipped about half of the outdoor areas and the frozen cavern type areas and all three of the red portals. Even so, he managed to get to level 47 by the end of normal. There were a couple of finds in Act V worth mentioning, the best were 2 Sol runes, an Amn, and a Shael. I do feel like Monty is finding much fewer S/U's than a normal character, to be expected with no MF. I expect it will be even more noticeable in NM. All of Act V except the Ancients was done on /p8, only Lister gave Monty any trouble. Baal went down very quickly.
Screenshot187.png

After Baal it was time to clear the Cows and kill Nihl. I did find an uncommon boss pack out of an evil urn:
Screenshot189.png

There were intense foot races between Monty and the minions that loved to flee extra fast. Good thing his Vigor is pretty high. The one nice thing about Monty being naked is all his stat points go into Vitality, and as you can see, he's shaping up to have a formidable life pool.

I did go ahead and clear out the Den on NM, just to see whether Monty really has any chance at all at reaching Hell. He certainly takes a bit of damage, but he dishes it out just as fast. His resists are hovering around 0, which I'm quite happy with. I will need to put a point into Salvation, hopefully that will shore up his resists during desperate times. I plan to try and rush through NM as much as practical, the levels aren't too terribly useful, though I probably will miss out on a couple of charm drops. I estimate Monty has a 50/50 chance of finishing Baal in NM.

Amaranta has completed normal.

She faced her last normal labor — Death in the Drifter Canyon — at level 35. I dropped to players 1, unsummoned my Valk, and took away my merc’s bow (and checked to make sure none of her other equipment added damage.) I decided to go with Nadir for extra crowd control over a wand for a few reasons.
  1. It meant I didn’t have to shop wands.
  2. Once I opened the chest, I wanted to be able to immediately kill stuff. (And the lovely D2R force move keybind meant I could run around without accidentally attacking monsters with my main weapon equipped.)
  3. The block speed penalty Amazons get with swinging weapons seemed like something best avoided in this type of challenge.

Glacial trail was quite simple. Monster density was low, so I basically just ran through. Drifter Cavern was a bit trickier. Mob density was high, and there are a lot of choke points to maneuver. Damage wasn’t really an issue (I don’t think she used and healing or rejuvs) but the fear of getting cornered and stuck was very real. Still, between Decoy and Cloak of Shadows, she was triumphant. (Poor Paige, however, did not survive. I was too busy herding monsters to watch her health and feed her potions.) She cleared her way out to go find the Glacial Trail WP (which she hadn’t come across in her initial run through) and the started a new game to go back to /players 3.

The rest of Act 5 was cleared without too much excitement. She hit 40 killing Lister’s pack, and Baal was kind enough not to clone himself.

I may do a bit of running in Act 5 for a couple levels, but I’m going to hold off on starting Nightmare until patch 2.4 lands. I really want access to the Fend changes when I start running into Immunes. Plus, an Insight Bow on the mercenary will free up the inventory space now dedicated to blue pots.

Rich (BB code):
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location       S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------     ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    86    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Kstil3227     Committed2015       Druid   83    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   48    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     40    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     36    Harrogath      0      SC            05
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     61    NM Kurast Dock 0      SC            07
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein    0      SC            01
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains    0      SC            00
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            00
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            N/A
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H   0      HC            12
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     50    NM Black Marsh 0      HC            05
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   49    NM Tower       0      HC            N/A
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03

More progress with Monty, this time there is more excitement than previously. Once you get past the den, it turns out things get much more dangerous, especially when you're naked. My first nasty boss pack was this:
Screenshot190.png

There was a lot of zooming around with Vigor dodging arrows to do a drive-by hammer assault. If any of them started to shoot in Monty's direction, he would need to retreat. The unfortunate thing is the merc can poof at any time, which is the 0.5 second warning that Monty is at risk of going poof right behind him. Fortunately, with enough patience and merc resurrections, he could continue. I stood too close to this when it exploded, took away ~75% of his health, after that I was much more careful about death explosions.
Screenshot191.png

While Monty has had pretty awful S/U luck, he's absolutely killing it on one of the two useful drops, runes. In just the Tamoe Highland and Pits, he netted a Thul, Amn, Shael, and 2 Dol. He's found at least 3 of every rune below Dol, which is quite fantastic. All these runes allowed him to attempt socketing an eth Halberd (ilvl 39 so max 4 sockets), and he got lucky and got 4. That allowed for:
Screenshot194.png

Historically, I would wait for a decent exceptional base, but I've since learned. And since he has the runes to attempt 2 more sockets and rolls, there's really no reason to skimp, just need to remember not to try it on Lances.

The Catacombs brought some challenges. Two packs of Conviction Tainted type monsters. When your lightning resist is 3 before Conviction, that means trouble. Fortunately, I had put a point into Salvation, and it's now instinctual to swap to that as soon as I hear the Conviction sound. In areas with Beetles and Gloams, I'll have to keep it up full time I think. I will probably have to invest more points before hell or invest in Resist Lightning. +60% resist all probably won't cut it. After dispatching them and the rest of the mobs in the Catacombs, Andy was finished pretty safely, even on /p8:
Screenshot195.png

In Act II, Monty went ahead and hired a HF merc. This is likely going to be the extent of his crowd control. Conversion is really really good, but with no weapon and the steep investment to get it to reliable levels, I just don't think it's the way to go. I did go ahead and clear out the Sewers as well, which brought his closest NDE yet from some burning archers, down to I'd guess ~100 life. I didn't see before I hit the rejuv, but it was a small sliver left.

There were a lot more close calls in Act I than I am comfortable with. I'm revising my chances I give Monty to complete NM down to 33%. I may have to switch off /p8 soon just so the threat of death isn't as frequent. Unfortunately, other than runes, there weren't any usable charms/items that dropped. The best was a 6% cold resist large charm, which obviously he's using since it has any resists at all, but it's so pitiful I don't even mule those off into a typical character's stash "just incase".

Well, not that it was terribly surprising, but Monty bit the dust at level 54. This was a preventable death, a bit too slow on hitting the rejuv to save him though. I should have backed up a bit and let some of the lightning bolts clear away before spamming more hammers, but I was too impatient.

Screenshot196.png

I also should have had Salvation active for beetles (especially boss pack beetles). Oh well, I will wait for 2.4 to drop and try something new, probably with more equipment as well.

@skoolbus Valiant effort for sure!

I am going to re-enter as a fashionistas

Since I think I'm going to start prior to 2.4 launching I'll play on the PTR build until next week. I'm going to quake and shake Holy Bolts around the world with a bit of Lightning in the mix when things get out of hand!

My random rolls for the tournament were: 1,1,2,4,6,13,16,19,20,20

My Act 1 roll fashion is (20)Attack Rating! Time to get out those big attack ratings in act 1 that is for sure.

Reactions: D4di56lu3
Holy bolted down Andariel, felt really really easy.

My fashion score for Act 1 was: 162 +34 Charms=196

Rolled an 8, so I have to get Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, or Deadly Strike. This will be interesting. Not a lot of options, though Crushflange would be a solid drop for sure.

Allegedly 2.4 is coming out next week, so I was looking at different tournaments to reenter with. If anyone is interested (or potentially interested in the future) in participating in some together, these were some that caught my eye:

Fortune and Glory: An Indy Jones Tournament Start: Sept 2015 Host: japanzaman
Obsession Tournament start: 26-DEC-06 host: Wolron
Single Tree Tournament Start 29 Sept 2008 Host: Ohomemgrande
And I didn't go through all the variations of S/U only tournaments, I don't know if there are preferred rulesets, but any of the general S/U tournaments.

There's already a couple of S/U tourney entrants, so my plan is just do that if my interests don't align with other tournament goers :ROFLMAO: . If anyone else has their own list, please post it! That will also help coordinate amongst fellow challenge seekers.

Reactions: D4di56lu3
@skoolbus
I am looking to start two characters:
Got the blues Melee Werebear Summoner Druid (HC)
Cyberpunk Bounty Hunter Assassin (HC)

I already started the Druid and he is sitting in the Black Marsh, progress is relatively slow at p8 compared to other chars I played, but quite safe. I will add the chars once I cleared A1. The druid will be single pass and the assassin is MP (but following the rules of the tourney, rerunning only certain areas).

Reactions: skoolbus
@skoolbus I just started the Fashionitas and will make minimual progress until 2.4

I might be interested in Obsession as well.

@lizard Cyberpunk sounds good as it would be the bounty Hunter Amazon so I can finally make a character that maxes Magic Arrow.

Reactions: skoolbus
For my run in the "Weapons of the Commoner & Blessing of the King 2021" I decided to run Clawmoner until the fun part af the tournament kicked in before posting an update, namely running until lvl 30 and collecting the gear with the necessary modifiers.

The journey has been fun and levelling as a werebear with HoW until grizzly becomes unlocked has been very safe.
The tournament allows the use of all 2H axes, which is the end goal if I get far enough to actually hit anything and not only stunlock it with shockwave.

Before hitting lvl 30 (which happened in act 3) the following equipment was used to fulfill the 3 modifiers decreed by the king (the boots were gambled, thus the higher item lvl):
1649708764963.png

And before hitting lvl 35, this ring was equipped to fulfill the 4th modifier, mainly because it had the least impact on the MF%
1649709031003.png

To fulfill modifiers, my desert mercenary Jemali is equipped with the following:

Razortine trident... (has IAS and +15 strength)
Gemmed breastplate (2x flawed topaz, Ort)
Ruby (38) circlet of guarding (MDR 3)

Best present from the Jail lvl 2
Screenshot159.png
The pair of rings I wish I could still wear:
Screenshot162.png
Thanks Ormus, close but unfortunately not enough FR to provide a modifier...
Screenshot168.png

Clawmoner, lvl 35 HC werebear druid (now with grizzly), Act 5 normal

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     40    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   35    Harrogath      0      HC            04

Attachments

• 1649708701204.png
    1649708701204.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
I figured I'd post a mini-update. No forward progress for Amaranta, but I did spend some time doing Baal runs. I might have gotten a bit carried away and she's now 52. The only interesting drop was a Peasant Crown, which was a nice upgrade.

I managed to cube up a perfect Amethyst to try to roll sockets in the Razor Bow I'd picked up on the way to Nilathak, and got my 4 sockets! So, now the only thing I need for my Insight bow is the 2.4 patch.

So after a long time of not being able to play, I fired up my Plaguezon and trucked along - until I realized I had broken the tourney rules by using another source of elemental damage. It would normally be no big deal to me by removing the item, but I think it was too much of an advantage since it was Magefist gloves that gave me a substantial mana boost. I used them for a long time, so I think it is only fair to retire her and try something else. With that said, I will start a ThrowBarb and enter the Bulging Biceps tourney.

So after a long time of not being able to play, I fired up my Plaguezon and trucked along - until I realized I had broken the tourney rules by using another source of elemental damage. It would normally be no big deal to me by removing the item, but I think it was too much of an advantage since it was Magefist gloves that gave me a substantial mana boost. I used them for a long time, so I think it is only fair to retire her and try something else. With that said, I will start a ThrowBarb and enter the Bulging Biceps tourney.
I think your fine personally. It was 1-6 damage and the mana regen isn't really that much. (25% really is a small amount compared to a level 1 Meditation which is 300%)

Well Holy Bolt+pierce did the trick against a /p8 Duriel that was for sure. My mercenary never got a chance to die!

I messed up and didn't gather runes to make Malice in Act 1 and my rune drops were pitiful so I got 0 points for Act 2. Really bad for a fashionita!

Screenshot260.png

I think your fine personally. It was 1-6 damage and the mana regen isn't really that much. (25% really is a small amount compared to a level 1 Meditation which is 300%)
I accidentally wrote Magefist when I meant Frostburn, so got a 40% mana bump through later parts of Normal. It's all good, I'll go back to her later.

RandyJohnson has entered and is now level 19 and just killed Radament. Gambled a couple of rare javs to get things moving, but not sure if I want to try for balanced axes or wait until throwing spears.

ETA: Forgot to add that I found a Biggin's Bonnet very early with RJ, so great help and hard to find TC3.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhineasB
Interesting reading through some of the tournaments others are interested in, but for my next entrant I wanted a super simple character, so I went with a S/U worshipper tournament. Enter Nox, who will be a Blade Sentinel/Fury/Shield assassin. I've never used any of these skills, but so far Blade Sentinel and Fury are a lot of fun. She's like a lawn mower 😛 . She's just cleared Act I, I did make a conscious effort to try and avoid finding S/U's, since I was slightly worried I might be stuck with items worse than whites/greys potentially. It's odd socketing topazes in weapons though. She did spend a lot of money attempting to gamble a Gull dagger, but then I realized that would quickly become a handicap if forced to use it for damage, so I stopped (didn't get one anyway). She did find a couple of failed S/U's, but in the end, only Andy provided her with any S/U items:

Screenshot198.png

It's actually quite a decent belt, and I fully plan on taking advantage of the fact that now set items can be upped.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   35    Harrogath      0      HC            04
D2R    skoolbus      SUWorshipper2018    Sin     20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   54    Far Oasis NM   0      HC            06

Act 1 NM is done!

Because she had over leveled on Baal waiting for the 2.4 patch, there wasn’t a lot of excitement in Act 1. The Dark Passage Labor wasn’t too hard, although I did leave it on /players 5 because she’d been mowing through stuff. While this Labor allowed the use of teleport and town portals, I wanted to try to get through it without them — and then I got trapped by tainted in a narrow corridor. I couldn’t get them to swap to my Decoy (there wasn’t really a place to put it where it wasn’t further from the monsters than I was) and I’d left the Nadir helm in the stash (oops!). The merc was hung up on some wall far away. As I emptied my belt looking for an escape, I finally swallowed my pride and made use of my teleport staff. Challenge completed! (Even if it wasn't with style.)

She spent a fair amount of time running countess to get a stockpile of runes. I’ve also started planning for the next major Labor, going after Kaa on /players 8. Most of her gear already fits the criteria, which simplifies things. The main exceptions are her plate belt and her Javelins. For the weapon, the plan is to steal the merc’s Insight bow and just autoattack him down. From reading the old thread, it looked like one major issue was his regen on /players 8, so I’ve been funneling all my rubies into blood belt crafts — which will also solve the plate belt issue. I got lucky with a shrine right next to the countess tower, so I managed to upgrade several flawless rubies for craft chances during my runs. That is where the luck ended, though, as I keep getting crap. My best one so far had 10% OW and a decent chunk of life, but nothing else.

Her most interesting finds while running Countess were a Lum rune (actually off a random mob on her first clear of the tower) a second Peasant Crown (so Paige now has one too!) and Goblin Toe boots which might see some use for boss fights. (Right now, I like her rare boots with Fire Resist and FHR.)

The Tainted mobs in Catacombs proved to be the biggest challenge. Their natural lighting resist makes them slower to kill, and they just hit hard. (And slow missiles doesn’t seem as potent at low levels, but maybe I’m imagining things.) Andariel didn’t pose too much of a problem. (The tainted pack that added with her was more of an issue, honestly.)

I’ll probably go through my charms and see if I can improve her resists going forward. They’re not terrible (in the 40s) but after my experience with the tainted, I’m thinking I need to at least up the lightning resist before I face beetles in the desert.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     54    NM Lut Gholein 0      SC            06
D2R    skoolbus      SUWorshipper2018    Sin     20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   54    Far Oasis NM   0      HC            06

So RandyJohnson is level 43 and finished Normal with his recently acquired merc brother Bors the frenzier. Oddly enough, both Diablo and Baal dropped rare war javelins that were improvements over my throwing spears. Did entire Act 1 on P& except Ancients and bosses at P3. No major issues, but killing speed is pretty low right now.

Reactions: Zyr and Vang
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High