Weapons of the Commoner and the Blessing of the King Tournament

Vang

PurePremium
Staff member
Guide Author
Feb 23, 2006
Introduction

The commoner was not the most skilled and normally lived a simple quiet life that ended in an uneventful death they say, but lucky for you!!!!! The Dark Wanderer has appeared and caused panic!!! The King has decreed that a commoner such as yourself may prove their worth and be removed from the commoner status and thus become not only a Knight or Lord/Lady, but just maybe a King or Queen to protect the lands they are granted if this threat is ceased. (In our case we will become a Destroyer, Conqueror, and hopefully Guardian!)

Now being a commoner we are only familiar with some weapons and they are heavily restricted on what we may use (List will be below).

Secondly as we grow our King has determined that at certain levels we must equip certain number of allowable modifiers on an item (Magical, Rare, Set, or Unique) in order for the King to feel that he has given us ample reward. (Listed below under Modifiers)

Our King also had one more task as he is not trusty of magic to be able to keep the evil vanquished and he requires killing blows to be dealt by a ranged, throwing, or melee attack to sever the life force. (Magic maybe used such as Static Field to lower health, Glacial Spike to Freeze, but final blow should be dealt by an attack) **Note auras that add elemental damage are fine.

List of allowed weapons (Normal, Exceptional, and Elite versions are usable):

Ranged
All Crossbows
Short Bow
Hunter's Bow
Long Bow

Throwing
Throwing Knives
Throwing Axes
Glaive
Short Spear

1-handed
Cestus (Sin)
Hatchet Hands (Sin)
Short Sword
Falchion
Military Pick
Hand Axe
Club
Spiked Club
War Hammer
Grand Scepter

2-Handed
All Staves
All 2-Handed Axes
Scythe
War Scythe
Voulge
All Spears (except Pike)
Amazon Spears
Bastard Sword
Flamberge
Claymore

Note: Wands and Orbs maybe used on switch to cast a charge spell (Lower Resist for example)

The following levels require a specific number of modifiers equipped upon your character once obtained:

30: 3
35: 4
40: 6
45: 8
50: 10
60: 12
70: 18

Modifiers:

(Prefixes)

Warrior’s or higher (41+ attack rating/damage 31%+)
Any% increased damage to Demons
75%+ increased damage to Undead
80%+ Enhanced Defense
+30% to any Single Resist (if at 60% counts as two!)
+Skill level to all, a class, or a tree
Artisan mod (Magic or better required) 3 or more sockets.

(Suffixes)

+15 to a Stat or better
+30 or more life
+15 or more Max Damage
Mana or Life Leech any%
20% IAS

Examples:
  • SteelClash would provide 1 or 2 points based on the Enhanced Defense roll (60-100%)
  • The Ward would provide 5 points (1 for each resist and 1 for EnDefense)
  • Artisan’s armor of the Colossus will provide 5 points if Ort, Ral, Thul is inserted)
  • Arreat's Face provides an unbelievable 10 points

Mercenary:
Any maybe used and have the same weapon restrictions but upon obtaining level 30, all slots must have at least 1 modifier as the King has loaned the mercenary to you (though unfortunately, you must equip them and pay for them to stay around)

Last but not least:

Basic tournament rules:

1. 1.14+ and any forum accepted mods with patches
2. HC only
3. No limit to tries.
4. Single pass or rerunning, players choice (Noted non-SP will lose bragging rights if they are successful against the minions of Hell and Baal)
5. You are heavily restricted to weapons
6. No more than 4 summons allowed at a time, sorry summoners!
7. Atma/GoMule is allowed as extended stash only.
8. No save and exit to save you from an untimely death. (You may of course, but your tournament is forfeit)
9. Any player settings and maybe changed freely
10. Rewards maybe gotten at anytime including going back to a different difficulty.

Last edited:
I'm going to enter with two characters so I can play between both of them some.

A Barbarian and a Druid commoner that may or may not die a horrible death.

Reactions: Jocular
[...]
Our King also had one more task as he is not trusty of magic to be able to keep the evil vanquished and he requires killing blows to be dealt by a ranged, throwing, or melee attack to sever the life force. (Magic maybe used such as Static Field to lower health, Glacial Spike to Freeze, but final blow should be dealt by an attack) **Note auras that add elemental damage are fine.
[...]
A question that arose due to the wording coloured above; is "magical attacks" like vengance, charged strike, immolation arrow, blades of ice etc ok? They are not auras, but they are an attack (although charged with elemental magic).

A question that arose due to the wording coloured above; is "magical attacks" like vengance, charged strike, immolation arrow, blades of ice etc ok? They are not auras, but they are an attack (although charged with elemental magic).
As long as it requires an attack animation it is good to go.

So a short list of of no goes would be: Traps except (Blade Fury/Shield), Blessed Hammer/FoH/HolyBolt, Druid/Sorceress Damaging Elemental Skills other than for utility (Such as Glacial Spike to freeze as listed above), Teeth, Bone Spear/Spirit, Poison Explosion/Nova or a Barb using War Cry to damage and not just stun.

I was going to limit a few of the attack skills with elemental, but the tournament itself is going to limit their up end by allowed weapon types and hitting the modifier number (For example my recent LF Zon in the Orange You Glad Tournament ended with 13 of the required 18 points) **A big one for the high mana characters is Insight can't be used as it doesn't have an appropriate Modifier.

Incase someone looks, I removed the 2 modifiers at level 25. It would be extremely hard for most of our Single Pass people to accomplish as Act 2 doesn't have enough quality access to the modifiers requires while Act 3 will.

Last edited:
- Any merc restrictions? Act 3 use magic only...

- We must reach the required number of modifiers at various levels, right?

- Why level 25 for mercs? per instructions they will have 3 modifiers at level 25 but it's 30 for chars?

This definitely looks interesting. 18 modifier points at 70+ will likely lead to some really interesting gear choices!

I'll have to have a closer look at everything and see if a class jumps out at me to take. Early thought is an Enchantress, though I don't know what kind of weapon.
That was actually the last hitch of getting this running, I bounced around the idea a while back with @Grisu and felt it was just missing something since it was just weapons at the time being restricted. The modifier idea popped in my head yesterday and adding a "King's blessing" (I actually mean King's decree upon pain or death you shall equip a number of modifiers) Enough of a hinderance and will change a lot of gear choices. I'm actually looking forward to that odd item someone uses that sucks up a whole bunch of modifiers.

- Any merc restrictions? Act 3 use magic only...

- We must reach the required number of modifiers at various levels, right?

- Why level 25 for mercs? per instructions they will have 3 modifiers at level 25 but it's 30 for chars?

1&3: No, act 3 mercenary is allowed. Your King has blessed the Iron Wolves. Additionally to answer your last question, I forgot to change it as I adjusted the starting level modifiers went into affect from 25 to 30.

2: Yes, once you obtain each modifier threshold level you must have that many modifiers equipped going forward, increasing until finally maxing out at 70.

Reactions: Pb_pal
As long as it requires an attack animation it is good to go.

So a short list of of no goes would be: Traps except (Blade Fury/Shield), Blessed Hammer/FoH/HolyBolt, Druid/Sorceress Damaging Elemental Skills other than for utility (Such as Glacial Spike to freeze as listed above), Teeth, Bone Spear/Spirit, Poison Explosion/Nova or a Barb using War Cry to damage and not just stun.

I was going to limit a few of the attack skills with elemental, but the tournament itself is going to limit their up end by allowed weapon types and hitting the modifier number (For example my recent LF Zon in the Orange You Glad Tournament ended with 13 of the required 18 points) **A big one for the high mana characters is Insight can't be used as it doesn't have an appropriate Modifier.

Incase someone looks, I removed the 2 modifiers at level 25. It would be extremely hard for most of our Single Pass people to accomplish as Act 2 doesn't have enough quality access to the modifiers requires while Act 3 will.
I am going to assume by this that Corpse Explosion is also not allowed? I was kind of tempted to run a Curse Necro, but I don't think I really want to do it without CE for some AOE.

Does weapon switch count towards the modifiers?

I am going to assume by this that Corpse Explosion is also not allowed? I was kind of tempted to run a Curse Necro, but I don't think I really want to do it without CE for some AOE.

Does weapon switch count towards the modifiers?
That seems terribly time consuming and I did not mention CE as I was up in the air about it. Necros are going to be tough as it is, so sure why not. Your King has a fetish for corpse mutilation I imagine is the reason he would not be against that kind of magic.

No, the weapon switch doesn't count for or against if it is used for pre-buffing, if it is used as an alternate attack then you must met the modifier requirement when either switch is active.

Thinking I may join this with an xbow strafer ;3

Always wanted to make a crossbow build, nows my chance!

@Vang is there any chance you'd allow one of the dagger types? For Pdagger necros.

Last edited:
This definitely looks interesting. 18 modifier points at 70+ will likely lead to some really interesting gear choices!

I'll have to have a closer look at everything and see if a class jumps out at me to take. Early thought is an Enchantress, though I don't know what kind of weapon.

A staff might be nice, they can get IAS affixes and big elemental damage.

Reactions: Pb_pal
Thanks and just for clarity 30% Allres = 4 modifiers?

Yes! (and anything that is over 60 gets another point, a Paladin with a 4os Shield and 18 or better base resistance gets 12 points if they go down that rabbit hole and plunk 4 P.Diamonds in it!)
Thinking I may join this with an xbow strafer ;3

Always wanted to make a crossbow build, nows my chance!

@Vang is there any chance you'd allow one of the dagger types? For Pdagger necros.

Your in Luck! Throwing Knife is allowed!

And yes, an Xbow strafer is on my to-do-list with this tournament hopefully as well!

Reactions: Jocular
Yes! (and anything that is over 60 gets another point, a Paladin with a 4os Shield and 18 or better base resistance gets 12 points if they go down that rabbit hole!)

Your in Luck! Throwing Knife is allowed!

And yes, an Xbow strafer is on my to-do-list with this tournament hopefully as well!
Hohoho, you thought of everything ;)

Hohoho, you thought of everything ;)
That is because knives are nice backup weapons for the ruling class that us commoners don't mingle with, but we love playing The Dart game of old with our trusty stack of badly rusted throwing knives, you might want to visit Charsi, so might be able to brush those up for you!

All the daggers would have been nice seeing as they are rarely used and would make interesting builds, but I can probably work with throwing knives for poison dagger

Will get a table in here at some point, but first update!

About to Head into The Chaos Sanctuary and face Diablo at level 31 (32 when defeated I imagine).

BobtheSlob (one of my affectionate names for my children, since you know kids by default are slobs :) )

Dual Wielding War Hammers and utilizing a 9 point Double Swing to bash skulls in forever. 3 points in some Find Item to hork, as all commoners are looking to make a buck when they can.

One NDE with the council, but I survived that brief scare.

So I need 3 Modifiers and they are as such: Sander's Gloves for (2) 40life and 20IAS, and War Hammer with 158% ED to undead

Sander's Taboo
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 26
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 28
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0xa53bcb71
+40 to Life
+20 Defense
Adds 8-10 poison damage over 3 seconds
20% Increased Attack Speed

Storm Mallet
War Hammer
One-Hand Damage: 22 to 37
Durability: 53 of 55
Required Strength: 53
Required Level: 12
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 30
Fingerprint: 0x1da9c7e5
+91 to Attack Rating
+3 to Minimum Damage
+8 to Maximum Damage
258% Damage to Undead
+77 to Attack Rating against Undead
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Ice Bolt on attack

War Hammer of the Leech
One-Hand Damage: 19 to 29
Durability: 54 of 55
Required Strength: 53
Required Level: 4
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xbc3f2c59
5% Life stolen per hit
150% Damage to Undead

Starting off though, I knew I was in for a good run!

Screenshot260.jpg

Then this little thing dropped that I could use for a bit on my mercenary:

Screenshot262.jpg

Maybe good from Duriel (nope trash mods for me)

Screenshot263.jpg

LK running paid off:

Screenshot264.jpg

And all the gambled gold: Best pair

Screenshot265.jpg

Solo tournament boys and ladies!

Smashing through and will attempt to finally start NM at level 46.

I gambled this beautyish thing and found a gem shrine to get a P.Sapphire to make it cool:Screenshot273.jpg

(Also my LCS at the start of NM, total Life with BO, +2 from switch, Sigons/+1 Club, is 1748)

Suck up 4 Modifiers too! (40AR/11ED, 102% to Undead, LL/ML) Score!

45: 8 Modifiers,

(4) Battle Hammer!
(2) Sander's Gloves
(2) +1 Warcries and 37 life Helm
(1) 47 Life Belt
(1) Boots previous post with 30%LR
(2) Second Weapon gambled 43AR/87ED + 20IAS

Total Modifiers: 12! Good to go for 50 wo0t! (Unless of course things change)

(Mercenary, a Cold Rogue utilizing Ripshook, Wormskull, and Boneflesh for an amazing 19%LL)

Last edited:
@Vang - Ribcracker whirler sounds AWESOME, that's got my vote.

--

Well I was going to do an Enchantress, but I didn't want to have to rely entirely on my merc for additional damage sources so I went the other way. Introducing Scatha the future Phoenix Striker!

Screenshot024.jpg

Original thought is to use either assassin weapons or throwing knives (melee though), but anything fast that is allowed is fair game for her. Off she goes!

First things first, Katar's are not allowed so she ditched her starting weapon and punched her way out into the Moor until she found a suitable set of knives. Her first couple points went to TS+DTalon, and that held her handily through the Den

Screenshot025.jpg

That's it for now, just a quick one to let @Vang know he's not alone. ;) Progress might be slow with RFL and other projects, but she'll be moving along as best I can.

Scatha the future Phoenix Striker, lvl 6 - Cold Plains

• Haha
Reactions: Vang
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High