[Simple+] Tournament of Tournaments!

NM Duriel is dead and 1 1/3 labors have been completed!

I was sweating the fire towers labor a bit as I’d cleared most of the Lost City and checked out the Valley of Snakes with no Fire Towers. Fortunately, there were two near Dark Elder in the last part of the map I cleared so the labor was completed without needing to reclear/reload the map.

The Ancient Kaa labor really slowed thing down. Amaranta still killed fairly quickly at /players 8, but he was of course in the 6th false tomb she checked. (So, all of the false tombs got full cleared at /p8.) Once he was spotted, I headed back to town to set up my gear for the challenge. I stole Paige’s bow (she got a Zephyr Cedar Bow in return) and put on my least sucky Blood Belt. I then filled up my cube with arrows and stuffed my inventory with pots and elemental damage charms. It went a lot better than I expected. His third mod was mana burn, which was a non-issue with regular attack, and his health went down at a steady pace. The Insight Bow is a bit OP at this level apparently. (I actually double checked the game setting after he died to make sure I really was on /players 8.) This was one of the challenges that has been worrying me, so it’s nice to have it done.

Duriel was strait forward — charge strike until dead.

The next labor is Decease DeSeis, which I need to get a 4os bow for. If I get really desperate I can Hel out the Insight and then Hel it out again to remake it, but that is really not how I want to use my 2 Hel runs. I’ve got lots of ground to cover until then, so I just have to remember to pick up all the grey bows. (As well as any white Razor/Double bows for a shot with the cube recipe.)

I’m a bit dissapointed with the merc’s Frozen Arrow. I was hoping it would cut down on the number of corpses getting ressurected, but the freeze duration is so short that it’s not very effective for that. Amaranta kills quickly enough that the greater mummies weren’t much of a problem, but I am a bit sad that the cold rogue merc doesn’t seem to have gotten the utility buff I was hoping for.

Her most interesting find was a Blade of Ali Baba from a random boss pack in the Far Oasis. It’s not really that useful to her, but it at least adds to the options for the Lister labor in Hell. She also picked up a rare amulet with +11 all resist and +2 passive and magic skills, which is nice. I’m noticing the difference especially with slow missiles. It also has a chance to cast hydra which very much freaked me out the first time in procced. Council? There aren’t any council here? (Oh, it’s not shooting at me!)

On to Act 3!

Rich (BB code):
Tournament of Tournaments Participation and Score Table
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location       S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------     ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    86    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Kstil3227     Committed2015       Druid   83    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     61    NM Kurast Dock 0      SC            07
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     59    NM Kurast Dock 0      SC            07
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   48    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     36    Harrogath      0      SC            05
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   35    Harrogath      0      HC            04
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein    0      SC            01
D2R    skoolbus      SUWorshipper2018    Sin     20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains    0      SC            00
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            N/A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H   0      HC            12
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   54    Far Oasis NM   0      HC            06
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     50    NM Black Marsh 0      HC            05
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   49    NM Tower       0      HC            N/A
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really need to find time to update the table, but RandyJohnson is up to 54, finshed Act 1 NM and has cubed the staff in Act 2. Still chugging along at P&, but will drop down for Duriel when I get there. Decent rare harpoon in one hand, but still looking to replace my war javelins in the other while also looking for better weapons for my merc.

Reactions: PhineasB and Vang
Act 3 NM has been completed. There weren’t any labors to worry about for this act so it was all about demon slaying.

She found a 4 socket razor bow in her first session in Act 3, so that will take care of the DeSeis labor. (I’ll keep picking up any grey bows, but it’s definitely nice to have that effectively out of the way.) She also got a +1 Javelin skiller right after entering the Flayer Jungle. That was a very nice unexpected surprise.

Dolls were super frustrating. Most of the time I’d block or D/A/E and take no damage, but when I did… Ouch. It was generally safest to sit back and let the Valkyrie and merc handle them. Effective, but not very exciting. (And I had dolls spawn everywhere dolls could spawn, of course.) She did have one very scary moment in Durance 2 where she got cornered by dolls that the Valk and Merc were more than happy to start popping. Fortunately, luck and potions got her through until she could find an opening to run out.

She picked up a Goldwrap belt in Durance 2, which got upgraded and is now her new belt bringing her magic find to 103. (Half way there for the Lister labor in Hell!)
Rich (BB code):
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location       S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------     ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    86    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Kstil3227     Committed2015       Druid   83    Guardian       0      HC            15
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     63    NM Pandemonium 0      SC            08
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     61    NM Kurast Dock 0      SC            07
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   48    NM Rogue Camp  0      SC            05
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     36    Harrogath      0      SC            05
D2R    D4di56lu3     WotC & BotK 2021    Druid   35    Harrogath      0      HC            04
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein    0      SC            01
D2R    skoolbus      SUWorshipper2018    Sin     20    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains    0      SC            00
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   01    Rogue Camp     0      HC            N/A
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H   0      HC            12
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   54    Far Oasis NM   0      HC            06
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     50    NM Black Marsh 0      HC            05
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   49    NM Tower       0      HC            N/A
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34    Pan Fortress   0      HC            03

Just a quick update on Sisyphus: NM Act 1 is done with no real scares. 2 Notable drops: a Hexfire Shamshir which replaced the slower Hammer and a Goldwrap, bringing my effective MF up to 245%.
The challenge through the Underground passage was easy, I didn't really have to use Teleport or other charges. On to Act 2.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     63    NM Pandemonium 0      SC            08
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   53    NM Lut Gholein 0      SC            06

Reactions: D4di56lu3 and Vang
I am saddened to report that Sisyphus has perished in NM Act 2. That was entirely due to bad playing on my part and I am sure to learn something from that in the future.
It happened in the Halls of the Dead where I recklessly charged in a room with a pack of champion Ancients, where I proceded to get mobbed on all sides and quickly run out potions.
Sadly I dind't have a teleprt charge on switch and the Terror charges I had equipped where not hotkeyed...
Anyway as I declared on enlisting this character is out from the tourney. I will be considering entering a new one some time in the future. It was fun while it lasted.

Screenshot006.png

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   54    NM  Halls otD  0      SC            06

Naranja, Frost Zealot, Orange You Glad Tourney, Level 52 (A2 NM)

Bumping this thread back up, with solid progress over the last week for my Orange You Glad Paladin, hoping to finish off my HC Tourney Sept. He was sitting at Cold Plains WP in Normal when I picked him back a month or so ago. During that session, he rescued Cain and got this useless Akara reward that was promptly sold:
N A1 Akara reward.jpg
Countess dropped a Tal and made it to Outer Cloister.

Picked him back up this last weekend, and Andy fell. I had a point in HF at that point, which is what has been pumped and remained the main aura since. After grabbing the cube, we rolled Savage polearms, netting a Halberd and Partizan in the first three rolls, which then got chippie rerolls to 2os damage modifiers. An El went into the Halberd, and it was equipped, while the Partizan couldn't be equipped until late A3 due to strength requirements.

But it was smooth progress. The chill/slow from HF was quite nice for smooth progress, and we had Stealth, Steel Flail, and these nice imbue boots once he hit lvl 23:
N A2 Imbue Boots.jpg
So smooth sailing through A2 and A3, with a mostly unhelpful Ormus ring along the way:
N A3 Ormus ring.jpg
The AR actually ended up being useful, I guess, but resists would have been nice. The HF provided some decent crafting gems:
N A4 HF.jpg
Diablo was taken on p3, with much worry, but the boots gave maxed LR with charms, so he could actually tank lightning hose, and FR was ~50 at that point. So only some health potions were needed. A5 was similarly smooth, with some care needed with Yetis and Frenzied Death Lord types, but otherwise not too tough. The Anya reward was useless, with lower resist than the grey pally shield I had socketed with rune, pDiamond, and jewel with FR:
N A5 Anya Reward.jpg
I sold it because I was annoyed, but in retrospect I should have kept it for A2 NM because crafting shields is hit or miss for sure (and it was a miss). But it's just 5@ with a little extra fire, so not a huge loss. Naranja picked up two solid GCs in A5 and Cows as he prepared for resist penalty of NM:
N A5 LR GC of Balance.jpg
N A5 Cows CR GC of Sust.jpg
I quested through A1 NM over the last three days, with another mostly useless Akara reward, finally getting a Sol to drop in Catacombs, so at least the A2 Merc can get a weapon for A2 :rolleyes:, and Andy dropping without too much trouble (for Naranja, the merc not so much):
NM A1 Akara reward.jpg
NM A1 first Sol.jpg
NM A1 Andy down.jpg
I have done some crafting and will finish that up tomorrow, so I'll post again later this weekend with gear as he transitions to craft-only phase. He has still not picked up a Shael (and only the one Sol), which is pretty unlucky I think, but he also hasn't seen a pally shield with more than 10@. Rhyme is a big priority, using the Normal personalization to get him for CBF and hopefully solid boost to resists. He also has the NM imbue and Normal socket rewards available.

Rich (BB code):
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   52    NM Lut Gholein 0      HC            N/A
D2R    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   54    NM  Halls otD  0      SC            06

Last edited:
Reactions: Vang
Alright, time for the rundown of the crafts and summary of gear as Naranja prepares to set forth in A2 NM subject to the craft-only tourney rules. I had actually crafted a pair of blood gloves when he picked up his first pRuby because I thought the CB and little bit of life leech would be helpful. I forgot about ilvl cap in Normal from vendors, so was only in the first band of possible modifiers, but still ended up with three:
Code:
Hailstone Hand
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 11
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0x45e9a0cd
Item Level: 28
Version: Expansion 1.10+
3% Life stolen per hit
10% Chance of Crushing Blow
+61% Enhanced Defense
+1 to Strength
+13 to Life
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
We then saved up gems and runes til the start of A2 NM. I had 3 pRubies, 4 each of pEmerald and pSapphire, and 2 pAmethysts. First up was shopping a mesh belt, which took a little while and was not great, but still nice to have the extra row of potions:
Craft Belt.jpg
We then used the last two pRubies on merc armor:
Craft Armor Blood.jpg
Craft Helm Blood.jpg
At least he has good FHR . . . The Blood helm may actually find its way to Naranja because that AR bonus may be handy and allow him to go with Might merc instead of Blessed Aim merc that he hired prior to the crafting session to help his cth problem.

Next up was weapon, armor and shield for Naranja (and regretting that I sold off the quest reward shield from Normal, even though it was pretty bad, as it would have freed up another roll for the other slots). I expect to use NM personalization on his weapon, but needed a solution in the meantime. I figured I should shop exceptional scepters, so hitpower (with innate +damage% mod) was a no-brainer:
Craft Scepter.jpg
The monster flee is terrible for a zealer's main weapon, I think, but potentially handy on switch as makeshift crowd control, so we had to try again:
Craft Scepter 2.jpg
Better, but still not great. Mechanics mod would have been awesome, although the first Shael would go to Rhyme anyhow. Armor and shield:
Craft Armor Saftey.jpg
Craft Armor Hitpower.jpg
Craft Shield.jpg
Ugh. I had to reroll the armor because the first was pretty bad, and the FR on second were very welcome. I'm hoping the Shael drops quickly so we can replace the shield :)

That left amulet and merc weapon as only unfilled slots, but both rings were lame. So:
Craft Amulet.jpg
Craft Ring Safety.jpg
Craft Ring Caster.jpg
Craft Ring Hitpower.jpg
Amulet was awesome, but rings were a bit rough, with only the last one particularly good. I went with the first (Dim Vision could be handy) and third. I had one pEmerald and the Sol left, but without a WP in A2, shopping for Lances was very slow. After 15 minutes, I took a break and remembered I had picked up an eth Partizan. Well, an imbued Exceptional polearm could be solid and it was:
NM A1 Imbue Weapon.jpg
If he gets the right runes, it might even warrant up'ing. I still plan to shop a Lance once a WP opens up, but I can now tackle Sewers without leaving the merc weaponless (which is what I would have done rather than continuing to hope for Lances without a WP). Resists are 51/-17/69/40, so the cold is definitely dicey and will need care around CE death explosions. But the Merc should be able to sort those!

Naranja, Frost Zealot, Orange You Glad Tourney, Level 74 (A1 H)
After leaving off after the crafting session at the start of A2 NM, the craft-only Pally made it through the rest of NM without too much trouble. Not really much to tell in A2, Darksight dropping in A3 (which is interesting, but already getting CBF through using personalization on Rhyme really, not worth it), and a fairly unhelpful Ormus ring that was nonetheless equipped for AR:
NM A3 (Darksight).jpgNM A3 (Ormus reward).jpg
We then got two nice GCs to aid with poison resist which was low and the aforementioned AR (former was a pgem reroll):
NM A3 (PR GC Reroll).jpg
NM A3 (Sharp GC).jpg
Onto to A4, Hephasto was Spectral CE with Fanaticism, but managed while pulling him out from the Forge area. HF was a Fal, which was a bummer, as this was key option to give a great weapon personalization option. But he picked up a Lion Branded Skiller in CS:
NM A4 (Lion Branded GC).jpg
Hags were the worst, but thankfully only rolled in RoF (both phases) and level 2 for Nihl.

Speaking of which, A5 was also fine, with the Skeleton Archers in Abaddon (and their cold and poison damage) the only real challenges. He was slow but safe at p7 in the later Acts, with strategic retreats a key part of his approach. He was also aided by a nice crafting session once he hit level 69 (post to follow to summarize the three crafting different sessions). Actually, this guy was a bit of an adrenaline rush, but not too tough in the end (and so-so Anya reward that is on switch):
NM A5 (Convicted Gloam).jpg
NM A5 (Anya reward).jpg
Ancients were taken on p1 and Baal on p3, but otherwise p7 for all of NM:
Conqueror.jpg
Until Cows. I had forgotten to switch to lower p-setting when entering the red portal. I recalled that melee characters are generally too weak to take on Cows at p7/8 unless twinked, but forgot to act on that knowledge. And I nearly got Naranja smoked by a Champ and Boss pack right by the protal, but ran away, downgraded to p3, cleared other areas, and went back to carefully string out packs in the original spawn-and-flee area.

Phew. Crafting session yielded some nice upgrades, including (finally, after none the first Orange You Glad playthrough) socketed crafts. So he has positive resists for all, maxed lightning, and 40+ fire and poison, with some extra charm flexibility, and up to 4 open sockets. AR may be a challenge, but we'll do some testing with Might merc in A1, but likely switching back to Blessed Aim for later acts.

Both socket quests and NM personalization remain available. I just don't see any weapon upgrade yet, so I will likely shop more scepters, hoping for Elite option to craft, but generally plan to play through A1 with current options if we don't get an upgrdade.

Rich (BB code):
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   74    H A1           0      HC            N/A

Last edited:
Here are the crafting results for Naranja that were interesting or keepers, and just a quick note on crafts that were sold rather than posting those pics.

Session 1 (After Hitting Level 69)
Craft Helm Safety 2os.jpg
Craft Scepter 3.jpg
Craft Belt Blood 2.jpg
Craft Gloves Blood 3.jpg
Craft Belt Blood 3.jpg
Craft Armor Blood 4 2os.jpg
Craft Armor Caster 2os.jpg
Craft Scepter 4.jpg
A lot of really nice rolls for this stretch, including 2os for a helm and two armors, lots of good FHR options for the Pally and some really solid resists, plus a much-needed weapon upgrade with ED roll and supplemental elemental damage on the last scepter. Also rolled and sold were two Blood armors, a Safety armor, 3 Safety helms, and a Caster helm.

Session 2 (Break at the Frozen Tundra WP)
Craft Ring Blood.jpg
Craft Ring Safety 2.jpg
Two upgrades on rings, with aid to resists and enough dext to offset the AR lost from prior rings. There were also a caster and safety amulet crafted and sold.

Session 3 (After Beating Baal)
He rolled 4 more amulets, but nothing that came close to displacing the current +2 combat skills and 25FR option.

As he prepares to start A1 Hell, we put two Thuls in the caster armor, and his resists are 75/77/74/60. But AR is just too low to swap out Blessed Aim merc. I may just drop to p1 to avoid making the going too slow, given limited damage output, especially against CIs. Merc will get jewels or runes to top off his resists in the 4 open sockets he has :) And as noted, I will be on the lookout for elite scepters (and any spears) to try to craft for weapon improvements for the pair.

Reactions: Zyr
@ Vang yes, the rolls this time are much better than the playthrough with my Zon, who often hid behind her Valk anyhow. The socketed options, which even had useful mods other than sockets for the most part, are quite welcome. Even so:
Screenshot001.jpg
Screenshot002.jpg
Welcome to Hell :rolleyes: Even with the nice armor and jewelry in particular for this playthrough, p1 has been tough to clear the Moor and Den. I'm planning to try to powershop for weapon upgrades for Naranja and the Merc. I'm not 100% if Elite weapons appear at this level, but I have a few rolls available with Exceptional in hopes for higher ED or sockets to improve, while still holding one craft recipe back in case an Elite option drops.

My bear summoner Druid Sylla has reached Lut Gholein and is on its way to the Arcane Sanctuary. Only notable find was a Knellstriker, which I can't use of course, but will be a great addition to the grail. I am relying mostly on ravens right now for the damage but the wolves are quite good at keeping the monsters busy and dealing damage themselves. I'll report again, once I am further in the journey and there is more to report. I plan to do some shopping in A5 for 3soc shield, armor and helm to prepare for NM. So long.
There will probably be some slowdown on this char during MFO, but until then I will mainly play Sylla.

It feels a bit like cheating using summons in this melee challenge, doubly so if I ever find a good bow to use as weapon in bear form. Hope to find a good weapon with amp damage on striking to deal with PI, otherwise will have to use the cold damage of the wolves.

Rich (BB code):
D2L    PhineasB      OrangeYouGlad 2021  Pally   74    H A1           0      HC            N/A
D2R    lizard        IgottheBlues2005    Druid   25    Lut Gholein    0      HC            01

Last edited:
Well Holy Bolt+pierce did the trick against a /p8 Duriel that was for sure. My mercenary never got a chance to die!

I messed up and didn't gather runes to make Malice in Act 1 and my rune drops were pitiful so I got 0 points for Act 2. Really bad for a fashionita!
My fashion score:

Act 1: 162 +34 Charms=196
Act 2: 0
Act 3: 15% FBR, 10% ICoBlocking, 76% FHR, total: 101, score: 202

Total Score: 398

Fashion for Act 4 is: Life.

Reactions: Swamigoon
Diablo dies pretty quickly on /p8 with Holy Bolt.

My fashion score:

Act 4: +126 Life (base 422 total: 548) score: 252
Total Score: 650

Fashion for Act 5 is: Attack rating.

Holy bolt is still doing the trick and I've rolled through the rest of normal.

My fashion score:

Act 5: +521 Attack Rating score: 521
Total Score: 1171

Fashion for Act 1 NM is F/I Block and FHR

Andariel was rather easy to vanquish and Holy Bolt got much better once I was able to make a Spirit sword.

My fashion score:

Act 1 NM: 149 FHR, 30% ICoBlocking, 20% FBR: 199, score 398

Total Score: 1569

Fashion for Act 2 NM is Goldfind

Reactions: Swamigoon
I found an Ali Baba so off went my trusty spirit and onto more riches, well not really, as Act 2 provided minimal items. Overall had to drop to p1 for the animal areas (maggot lair, basically everything but Arcane and the tomb.

My fashion score:

Act 2 NM: 254% Gold find: score 254
Total Score: 1823

Fashion for Act 3 NM is Life

Act 3 was rather uneventful, but provided a Stealskull via Mephisto. I may re-run some Travincal a bit though.

My fashion score:

Act 2 NM: 254% Gold find: score 254
Act 3 NM: 242 +life: Score 242
Total Score: 2065

Fashion for Act 4 NM is Mana

Diablo 4 Interactive Map