Orange You Glad That Rune Dropped: Craft-Centric Tournament

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
As mentioned in the tourney idea thread, I was interested in a break from the standard single pass approach of pumping MF through gambling and shopping and following the merc to maximize drop potential. So I was focused on a rule-set that would reward full-clears, while also providing incentives to maximize the character’s firepower from the start. I landed on a rune-centric tournament, specifically with crafts at the center, without too many restrictions.

Given the interest and helpful feedback to refine the rule-set, I figured I'd go ahead to post it so those interested in starting can do so.

Rules
  • HC
    • SC is permitted, but a SC death disqualifies the character from further participation
  • Single pass only, full-clear not required. When you start a new game and are on the move towards the next area you haven’t played, it’s OK to Save and Exit if you get in trouble during the “transport”. Otherwise, only S&E in town or when you are sure no monsters are around.
    • This isn't a strict limitation. I will ask anyone interested in participating but wants to be able to rerun areas to note in the table via asterisk if the character will rerun areas. But no rerunning is allowed of targets for runes (Countess, LK, Trav or Cows).
  • No class, skill, stat, or merc restrictions; respecs permitted from Akara reward at any time; extended stash via GoMule is okay.
  • Gear restricted to crafted items (Blood, Hit Power, Safety, Caster, i.e., needing a rune and showing up orange in inventory screen), with rewards noted below giving some additional flexibility. Restrictions apply to merc also.
    • But crafting restriction doesn’t kick in until A2 NM due to limited ingredients.
    • But-but items are limited before A2 NM to white/grey items and throwing potions, something using a rune (e.g., item of any type socketed with a rune, upgraded item, Runeword) or reward items (as noted below).
    • In A1 Normal only, however, items can be socketed with gems or jewels (so it isn't too much of a slog).
  • Rewards: Akara ring, Charsi imbue, Ormus ring, Anya reward item, and Anya personalized item can be used throughout.
    • You may return to previous acts and difficulties to redeem rewards, but only at the start of any given Act (to avoid map resets part way through any area).
  • No restriction on charms.
  • Quest items can be equipped only as needed to complete quest.
  • There is no scoring system or prize, but major style points for anyone who finishes with a Vex+ runeword enabled via reward quest :)
I'll keep the table updated periodically in the opening post, but also update at key points in the progress. Please put an asterisk (*) by after the character's name if not playing single pass.

Updated February, 10, 2021

Active
Rich (BB code):
Forumite     Character         Class   Lvl   Progress
--------     ---------         -----   ---   --------
Skiff        ColdFever         Sorc    77    Guardian
Vang         *Spokane          Zon     81    Guardian
PhineasB     Orange            Zon     85    Guardian
OldSoldier   GaranDarkslayer   Pal     83    Guardian
Norcim       Valryka           Zon     86    Guardian
Luhkoh       Amaresu           Sorc    78    Guardian
Pb_pal       Elding            Pal     81    Guardian
skoolbus     Agni              Necro   85    Guardian
Grisu        Lugh              Barb    86    Guardian
Jocular      Cranky            Barb    71    A5 NM
Vildecor     Rowena            Sin     53    A2 NM
Dazliare     Svetlana          ***     49    A1 NM
WoRG         Hypergolic        Druid   36    A5

Deeds
Rich (BB code):
Forumite   Character   Class   Lvl   Progress
--------   ---------   -----   ---   --------
zemaj      OUGNecro    Nec     33    A3 N

Last edited:
I'm entering a Zon, and I may also end up entering a Paladin as mentioned in the feedback thread. Her name is Orange in hopes of getting lots of great crafts! We'll try to get her through A1 Normal this weekend. Good luck to all the entrants!

Active
Rich (BB code):
PhineasB   Orange      Zon     1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

Last edited:
Reactions: Babyhell
I like the name you decided on for the tourney!

I’ve been going back and forth about whether to enter, since I already have a lot on my plate, but I figured to go ahead and give it a go. I’ll just be progressing more slowly with three tournament characters running at the same time.

I think I’ll go with a Phoenix Strike assassin, and hopefully will have her first progress update posted by the end of the weekend.

My entry will be ItsATrap, a classical Trapsin, but with a strong investment in Shadow Master at the beginning to help through NM. Hard part will be on the weapon side, where it will be difficult not to personalize things to get some +skills.

Let's go!

Active
Rich (BB code):
Babyhell   ItsATrap    Sin     1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

Reactions: PhineasB
I very much like the idea of the tournament but don't think I will have time to participate.
Is Akaras and Ormus' reward ring based on the character level, so it would be possible to get a better ring by sacrificing talking to them and getting healed by them until then?

Woohoo! New Year Tournament motivation for the win! Great idea, @PhineasB!

I'm in with Lugh the undecided Barbarian (well, if I went for the celtic Lugh, I obviously should be going for Spears...)

Have fun everyone!

Active
Rich (BB code):
Grisu      Lugh        Barb    1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

Mmmmmm-m. I like this one. No minmax nonsense easy playthrough tourney. I should be able to kill my char well within 4 days, before my quarantine finally ends. Ill give it a shot. I think I have a plan that will work no matter what.

Q: Can we reroll the quest rewards, or are we stuck with what we first get?

Active
Rich (BB code):
Skiff      ColdFever   Sorc    1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

No minmax nonsense easy playthrough tourney.
For those that DO want to min-max, don't forget that the number of affixes on a craft is tied to clvl/ilvl:

Character Level and affixes dealing with crafts​

Clvl effect how many affixes can spawn with a craft. This chart explains what chance you have of getting what number of affixes:

• At ilvls 1-30, there's a 40% chance of 1 affix and a 20% chance each of 2, 3 or 4 affixes.
  • At ilvls 31-50, there's a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes.
  • At ilvls 51-70, there's an 80% chance of 3 affixes and a 20% chance of 4 affixes.
  • At ilvls 71+, there's a 100% chance of 4 affixes.
clvl and ilvl control alvl of crafts by controlling the final ilvl that the craft receives. It follows this formula. ilvl = int(.5 * clvl) + int(.5 * ilvl).

the int() means that you round down before pluging through the equation.

Affixes control the required level of the craft. The formula is rlvl = rlvl(of highest affix) +10 +3x (#of other affixes). So if you have a craft with 3 affixes and the highest affix has a required level (rlvl) of 12 your required level for that craft is 12 + 10 + 3*2 = 28. Since character level controls affix level and the # of affixes that can spawn it also controls the rlvl of the craft.

Also @PhineasB , I was thinking about personalization as a reward. Maybe it makes sense to limit it to only 1 inventory slot at a time? That will keep most of the items as crafts and maintain the tournament theme, but still allow the use of a very fortunate S/U drop or runeword. The same principle doesn't need to apply to other rewards, as they typically aren't good enough to use anyways.

ANYWAYS. I'm in officially with Elding the future Tesladin.

Should be fun. :)

Active
Rich (BB code):
Pb_pal     Elding      Pal     1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

@Pb_pal 's suggestion has the benefit that you don't need to separate quest rewards from normal items, because the items you equip are either orange or personalised.

Wir the current ruleset it might happen, that someone goes to town, IDs at Cain' s, collects quest reward and then doesn't know which ring is from Ormus and which dropped...

I'm fine either way though!

And I am already in the Stony Field!

And I am already in the Stony Field!
wellwell-min.png

So far exactly ZERO runes outside of the ral/tal/nef from the countess drop :( Good news is that this was probably the slowest act in normal, as I was selling absolutely everything to earn enough money for that sweet sweet +3FB staff. Luckily I snatched a superior one for 100k and now I dont have to grind Drognan for it :)

Well, things have kicked in...
ucHNzYnl.jpg

And this particular time, Coldcrow delivered..!
572z7ugl.jpg

B*tch! 0MF!

Well anyway, clvl 12, cleant everything on p8 up to Cold plains included, ended the session by grabbing Stony field waypoint.

Went for (all chipped obviously) sapphires in helm, armor, one Wrist blade has a skull, the other one sapphire + emerald.

Buildwise, hard points have opened access to Shadow warrior, 4 points in FB, 1 in WoF. Will go Fire trap/Shadow master first, let's see how it goes!

Edit: now lvl 15+, Cain saved. Akara ring:
dxuhDPIl.jpg

Meh... :-(

Last edited:
I like this one a lot. I really like (and planned to do something similar in my next tourney idea) the respec idea to improve the early game areas when all skills are not yet available. I’m in with a paladin. He’s going to blaze through to A2NM with Holy Fire before settling on his future career. He’s already rescued Cain and his Akara ring was pretty bad with +1 energy as it’s only mod. Ha!

Nice early progress everyone. Orange has cleared the Den and taken down Coldcrow, so hoping to make solid progress through the rest of A1 this weekend. And sorry for delays on responding to questions about ruleset. See below.
Q: Can we reroll the quest rewards, or are we stuck with what we first get?
No reolls allowed for those items, but rare items can be upped. Rerolls are permissible for charms, so the most likely outlet for those pDiamonds, pTopazes, and pSkulls!
Also @PhineasB , I was thinking about personalization as a reward. Maybe it makes sense to limit it to only 1 inventory slot at a time? That will keep most of the items as crafts and maintain the tournament theme, but still allow the use of a very fortunate S/U drop or runeword. The same principle doesn't need to apply to other rewards, as they typically aren't good enough to use anyways.
My thought is that only two such items for most of the playthrough (with one of those likely going to merc for many entrants) isn't too out of whack. And the third quest will allow equipping a Vex+ runeword if there's a lucky rune drop, and generally gives a potential equipment boost ahead of the Ancients fight. Kudos for anyone who imposes the additional restriction of only one-personalized item at a time!

Reactions: Pb_pal and skiffcz
destroyer.png

With that, I think at least some basic summary of the normal difficulty is in order. ColdFever is now level 48, so finishing A1NM at 51+ will be easy enough. At that point, real decisions begin. So far it was just fireball and awful lot of blue potions. I must confess though, my knowlede of this game is ... lets say, it has not aged well? :D I really dont know what Im doing :D First blunder right in the beginning, for some reason I was certain that the highest +res affixes on boots spawn with ilvl 18 (that would be actually next to highest). So my thought process was - charsi gives clvl+4 rare, I need to get malus at lvl 14 the latest so she doesnt dilute the affix pool when imbuing my reward. But .. but .. at players 8 level 14 is at like Blood Raven ... so I run like a complete idiot to get the malus, bypassing half the first act, only to burn my imbue and only AFTER THAT realizing the right level to imbue was in fact 21 .. well .. considering all this, the result is surprisingly not half bad:

charsi.png

*insert impressed Obama face* - this might even be an endgame material. Considering that the safety greaves that were planned as a main equip for this slot were chosen specifically for their fixed fire resist mod, they might even never get crafed :p I originaly had an idea of maybe PSkulling the heck out of those, but since this is not allowed ... but then again, I quite like them as they are.

Act 2, ANOTHER blunder :D Ditched the Rogue with her 3topaz bow and considering a legal weapon for desert merc. I cant use the savage polearm recipe, because it almost never comes with sockets. So I burn all my chipped diamonds for the Deadly Poleaxe of the Leech with two sockets, I fill those with ELDs, ok fine lets ... OMG like an idiot again! The savage recipe does not produce socketed weapon, but the exceptional magic weapon ofcourse CAN then be rerolled with the three-chippie-recipe to get socketed one with more powerful base. But now all my chipped diamonds are gone. So, reluctantly I start burning my flawed diamons, luckily, second try yields Bill and that is then turned with the rest of my chippies into this cheesy stick of bending-the-rules-to-max-advantage:

mercstick.png

What. It does have a rune in it, doesnt it? :D Anyways. I have RAL from countess, some random monster in one of the Tal Rashas tombs finally drops TIR, I have bought the staff from Akara way back in Act1, lets start dealing some damage ourselves, shall we:

leaf.png

After that, its just a blur of rocketlauched entrails ewerywhere, massive blue kool-aid addiction and an endless stream of kicked urns, stripped dead bodies and defiled graves. This was probably my highest "containers per minute opened" game since I stopped seriously running LK for BERs back in 1.12. Btw, Ormus outdid himself:

ormus.png

And then, after slaying Mephisto, rummaging through his pathetic drop, I picked a rare Breast Plate with intention to sell it. I almost never did this after I bought my +3 FB staff - I rarely needed gold, but this time, I used all my blue potions, so I thought, at least this will cover my expenses for resuply in Act4 ... I run it through Cain and ... it comes with a socket ... well .. why not? After all, why shouldn't I keep it:

mephdrop.png

Thank you Mephi, this will in fact come pretty handy when I play who-barbecues-who-first with your bros! Spoilers - ColdFever fried both Big D and the rest of everything in normal difficulty just fine. In fact, she managed to max all resists except for poison and with over 500 life, things were almost unfair for the rest of the enemies. Here, this is her LCS at the start of Nightmare:

lcs.png

So, I have now 3 Pamys, 3 Pemeralds, 2 Prubies, and a single Psapphire and an assorted stash of runes to boot:
  • 6x El
  • 1x Eld (+2 used)
  • 13x Nef
  • 6x Tir (+1 used)
  • 11x Eth
  • 7x Ith (+1 used)
  • 8x Tal
  • 12x Ral (+2 used)
  • 4x Ort
  • 3x Thul
  • 2x Amn
  • 1x Shael
So, whats next. I really, really want Insight. Me picking Sorceress as an entrant should have sufficiently telegraphed my intention to cheeze through this tourney an make it fun, rather than challenging. The goal is to finish it before my quarantine ends (for you interested, yeah, I have "it", no real isues though, except for very light cold-like symptoms and I lost my sense of smell for like two days - but Im stuck indoors for a few days, nothing to do really, so Diablo time oh yeah!). Anyways, back to those decisions - I was almost certain that ColdFever will want to self-weild Insight in a staff (provided I find any with 4os in A1NM) and get HF merc. I want her to be some Fire/Cold build, depending on the staff. Something safe, Hydra/FO maybe, with a pinch of static? FW/GlacialSpike/FO? Something along those lines. But then - Anya gave me this:

anyawow.png

Well, now Im seriously considering it. It will make things easier, Insight with Prayer merc has double the effeciency, I dont have to rely on finding the SOL for mercs weapon, which I dont currently have and would have to cube it using all my THULs and AMNs and then missing those instead (fingers crossed for countess) ... plus I get potentialy 19+ res all if I craft and socket a shield. But ofcourse, merc is probably going to be stuck with exceptional polearm for the rest of the game this way. We will see tomorrow. Before that, Im in a dark:

WHA.png

So thats it for today! I shall update the table next time, this post is long enough even without it :) GL guys, and may your drops be Orange&Orange!

Last edited:
First blunder right in the beginning, for some reason I was certain that the highest +res affixes on boots spawn with ilvl 18 (that would be actually next to highest). So my thought process was - charsi gives clvl+4 rare, I need to get malus at lvl 14 the latest so she doesnt dilute the affix pool when imbuing my reward. But .. but .. at players 8 level 14 is at like Blood Raven ... so I run like a complete idiot to get the malus, bypassing half the first act, only to burn my imbue and only AFTER THAT realizing the right level to imbue was in fact 21
Just a small correction, to get the highest single res affixes on imbued boots, you'll want to wait until level 23, since the item's quality level / 2 is subtracted from the ilvl to determine affixes. I plan on doing the same thing to see if I can get some nice early double res boots (probably not).

I started Rowena, the future Phoenix Strike assassin last night, and in two very quick sessions, have finished Act I. I really love how powerful PS assassins are, getting huge firepower right at level 6. I quickly purchased a bunch of white/grey items to fill out my item slots, and ended up socketing a katar with 2 chipped rubies, a helm with 2 chipped topazes, and a large shield with 3 chipped diamonds. A Fire Rogue was hired and equipped with the standard Hunter's Bow with chipped emerald/ruby/sapphire. Rowena blazed her way through all enemies with no struggles whatsoever.

On her way to Andariel, she found Arctic Furs, The Gnasher, and Cleglaw's Claw. The countess dropped her first, of hopefully many, runes -- an Eth. As usual, I forgot to take her on on p1 to increase the multiple rune drop chances...oh well. Soon enough, it was time to take on Andariel.

51iTosN.jpg

Still p8 and a very easy fight. You'd think with how bad her fire resistance is, she'd work on putting out the flames around her throne.... Her large gem drop was an Emerald, which I guess gets her a bit of an early lead towards a safety craft. I'd have preferred a diamond to throw in a shield along with an Ort or Ral after upgrading it to perfect.

As mentioned above, I plan to head back to Charsi at level 23 to see what kind of imbue I can get on a pair of boots. Until then, since we're out of Act I, I've sold all the gemmed gear and are re-equipped with all white/grey items, waiting for more runes to come my way!

Active
Rich (BB code):
Vildecor   Rowena      Sin     20    A2 N
Pb_pal     Elding      Pal     1     A1 N
Deeds
Rich (BB code):

I really don't need another project on my plate, but I love this idea, and nobody has made a druid yet, so Taliesin enters the fray!

I've never played a hunter druid before, and I think it's probably bad, but I want to give it a shot! I tend to play pet builds in arpgs, but I hate skeletons, and nothing else really has pets, so we're going for it!

Reactions: Luhkoh and PhineasB
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High