ROYGBIV - A Colour-Coded Sept+ Project

Quite interesting approach, and very stylish indeed. I note one the GCs is red, is it un-IDed or not quite high enough level yet?

Reactions: Luhkoh
Standard bit of charm swapping and a final respec, Black is ready to conquer Hell!

NdIrWSI.jpg

Resists could definitely be better, but I don't want to burn two more socket quests, and I can depend on his army to keep him safe. He's a slow character by nature, and I want to take full advantage of the damage increase from revive so I'm going to play him through Hell on p1.

The limiting factor for progress is the speed with which the army can walk. It's a bit frustrating, really, since Revives have a way weaker 'tether' than skeletons do and tend to go poof pretty easily if Black strays ahead too far. Obviously a non-restricted Revivomancer wouldn't have this problem, as Enigmas or Teleport charges would solve it entirely. Either way, onwards through the Den easily, and it was very satisfying to turn Blood Raven's army back against her.

Nabbed Cain and moved on quickly to Andy. One thing about such a massive army is that it's all but impossible to move stealthily, so we just kind of waltzed into her chamber and took it at full force.

MaUG59F.jpg

More free-for-all fun in the deserts, that is until we reached the Maggot Lair and my first pang of regret for playing on /p1. The merc is not high enough level for Reaper's yet, so the locusts made it quite slow. Black made it through, and was able to resurrect his army and get his revenge on Coldworm. We had a rough start to the CVT as I made a break for the entrance and poofed my whole army. Snakes make fantastic revives though, so once we had built them up we cruised to Fangskin.

Arcane sanctuary was a bit slow due to PI ghosts, but taking as many Blood Lords as we could find definitely helped. Ghosts make wonderful revives though, they stack, can travel off the path, and are both strong ad durable. We got lucky and guessed the Summoner's wing first shot, and soon were through to the tomb where we could beat the Unraveller's at their own game and confront Duriel with his own minions.

Took the army for a stroll through the jungles, and then a big brawl against Sarina and company. Through to the Council another big fight took place, and you can really see the IG making use of the Crushflange:

avJ064I.jpg

So far PIs like this guy haven't really been an issue even without Reaper's (or curses), since I have been able to make use of elemental revives like Blood Lords to help things along. Soon to Meph who fell quickly, and on to the underworld.

Izual showed up the second we hit the PoD, which is not ideal since having my army trapped on the stairs makes them utterly useless. Luckily the Golem could work his way through and the CB wore Izual down. I gotta say though, reviving Gloams is a bit tough on the nerves as you never know which lightning is yours, and which one will fry you.

pByl7i1.jpg

Painfully slow progress through there, but the rest of the act was okay. PI Hephasto took so long to kill that my entire army timed out, Black grabbed a measly Io from the forge and moved on through the seals and subsequently Diablo himself.

Out into the final act Black FINALLY hit 75 (thanks, /p1!) and the merc could equip Reaper's. mana pot use has increased significantly, but it's only for building armies so it's not a big deal. Things were ultra smooth until the Crystalline Passage where a combination of Vipers and amp-casting witches made for some tough work. The merc died a bunch, and Black as well a couple times, which makes sense since they're quite low level in terms of the mlvl of the areas and what I'm normally at through this stage. More witches in the Frozen River made for some chaotic but very cool looking moments like these while saving Anya:

2SB9KKw.jpg

the Ancients took a couple rerolls but once we got decent mods it was just a waiting game with the big army. The rest of the act was nothing memorable, so finally it was time to gather an army and head for Baal.

KJw7KR9.jpg

Easy enough with Reapers. I did go out and grab a few new sets of revives once mine timed out, though it was mostly just for fun. Ultimately it was down to the merc and Golem, and Black achieve patriarch at level 77.

Bk5ElJ0.jpg

Fun character, though sometimes quite frustrating. I'll have more thoughts in his Pat thread.

Black the Revivomancer, lvl 77 - Patriarch

Last edited:
Wow, you are really flying through. Congrats on a very stylish pat, indeed (what else would one expect with all black).

Reactions: Pb_pal and Luhkoh
Here we are at the final colour!

Since there are no gold attacks, it looks like it's going to be another melee character. I settled on a barb, and since I already did a Frenzy barb I thought it was time for a big 2-hander. Mang's and The Grandfather are gold, but the req. lvl is just too high so those are unfortunately out. I thought about a polearm whirler with Pierre Tombale Couant but it doesn't display very well at all. Crainte Vomir does though, and I'm intrigued by the slow on it so we're going to go for that as a Conc barb. Like his brother Violet he will have to do without BO, but as a terribly pathetic consolation prize, he CAN use Battle Command. Yay?

He will end up wearing Griswold's set (minus the weapon and shield), since it's cool and it gives me the chance to finally use a Crown that actually looks good (since the gold bits that don't transform are... well.. gold!). For the interim, it'll be a mishmash of Arctic, Isenharts, Tancreds, and some S/U thrown in along the way.

Off he goes!

--

Started out punching since there are no gold gems to use (topaz are yellow) but he only had to wait until lvl 2 to equip Arctic's armor and belt, and then one more level for the gloves. Little bit of a sad truth, but Artic Belt and Gloves are his end-game items for those slots. Unless I decide to shop for something gold, those are literally the only S/U that are available. Ouch.

He doesn't have the stats for the bow, so he punched through the den and to lvl 8 where he could switch out to Isenhart's entire Set for his first proper decent look, as well as gained a merc.

pguRVY9.jpg

Much better! He added Nokozan Relic at 10, then quickly replaced it with Eye of Etlich at 15. Soon it was through the act, picking up Concentrate at 18 and straight to Andariel.

Into A2, hired a town guard and went straight for Radament. He soon hit lvl 20 and it's gear change time!

scnM0qf.jpg

Looking more fearsome and golden now with Tancred's full set. On through the desert easily now since Conc is viable due to mana leech from the set bonuses. Quickly and uneventfully through to Duriel, before heading to the next act.

In the jungles we swapped to Boneflesh since it's got better mods and shinier shoulders, and also gave him a Rusthandle to help his killing.

bFAQ23K.jpg

Also gave the merc an Insight so we are flying now. Meph dead, Act 4 came and went, paused at Eldritch to level 34 and through act 5 without much to say all the way until Listers pack where he hit 42 where he finally got to go 2-handed:

NppIcsk.jpg

Looks good! A short while later he was Slayer, he Pindled till 45 to equip Griswold's armor and then a complete inventory of charms courtesy of his brother Violet. Well, almost. He also got to equip the one and only colourful charm in the game; Gheeds! Yes, it's gold in the transforms, awesome! On to NM.

v9dgfyY.jpg

Oof on the resists but it's nice to be able to actually contribute to killing properly now! Through to Andy and out into a2 he hit 51 and got an upgraded sword

jpEB7Gq.jpg

Between that and the new might merc(more gold!), we're cruising. Through to Duriel no problem and out into the jungles, he is starting to feel the lack of Warcries a bit now. Luckily, all remaining stats are going to vitality so that should counteract it at least somewhat. He plowed his way through Meph, Izual, and Diablo and things are smooth as butter. Out into act 5, he rescued Anya and then in the Frozen Tundra he finally hit 69 for his next (and last) gear upgrade:

bBziXx1.jpg

Nice! The gold crown looks great as the gold details add to it nicely. It's nice to get to use the item type now, since it frustrated several other characters in the sept with its golden tips, now I just have to figure out what to do with the sockets. Ancients were a cakewalk, as was the WSK. Champion at 72, and he'll be heading straight out into Hell.

Gold the Concentrate Barbarian, lvl 72 - Hell Rogue Encampment

My daughter and I were playing "name songs with colours in the title" a couple of weeks ago. Here is a cheesy gold for you :)

Isn't Might a gold aura? I thought we may see a paladin.

• Love
Reactions: Pb_pal
I considered Paladin, but having already made 2 in this project I wanted to spread the love out a little bit. I can still get Might from the merc too, so it kinda works?

It's a shame that Barb armour doesn't display as colourfully as other classes, but I think the big sword makes up for it. :)

Definitely approving of the upped Crainte, it is very underrated.

Straight into Hell for Gold, he respeced, filled his sockets with Orts/Rals, swapped out a couple skillers for Shimmering GCs and was ready enough to rock:

P5a6sE6.jpg

He set things to /p3 and off he went. Kill speed is actually quite good still (3k+ with Might active) and progress remains smooth. The only thing he has to watch out for is getting swarmed since he has no crowd-control or BO to keep him or the merc safe. Corpsefire was the first PI we encountered. Cursed as well, he had to be taken on carefully, but we (very slowly) whittled him and progressed to the Pits where he did a couple (not-so) quick runs so the merc could equip reapers. After that it was a smooth trip to Andy, and then out into Act 2 where Reapers already got some use against a PI Radament.

Not having BO is starting to become a bit of an issue, and potion use is through the roof for both Gold and the merc but he plodded his way through the Maggot Lair, and then the CVT where he had to be super careful with Fangskin. Arcane was a slog due to ghosts, but at least Reapers can break their PI so it was doable. Gold's damage has (predicatably) started dropping off, but he's still able to contribute decently by chipping away from behind the merc.9ss0 For sanity's sake I popped it down to /p1 for the tomb, which ended up being a smart idea as it was absolutely riddled with Unravellers. Duriel fell easily, and it was back to /p3 for the jungles.

Thankful for the lower-hp monsters in the third act, it was a relatively smooth trip through Sszark and Endugu. He hit a minor stair-trap in Sarina's temple but it was easily dealt with, as was she since she got nicely caught in the doorway.

yoZXXld.jpg

With all synergies but berserk maxed, hes been able to spend a point or two into NR, and man has it helped! He feels way sturdier now, even if a bit on the weak side damage-wise. Still cruising at p3 he finished the sewers, took out the council, and then Meph with ease.

Act 4 we rolled spawners, which is not ideal with a lower damage, single-target char, but that's okay. The duo worked their way through to the PoD (with accompanying gloams - not so bad though with 75 LR) and then Izual. Popped his points into NR again and he's almost maxed on fire and maxed on light. Feels great and progress has quickened up because of it. The Forge produced a Hel, and it was off to the CS.

Vizier was (breakable) PI, so that took a while. De Seis was a sitting duck once we got rid of his cronies, and the Infector was once again PI (but once again breakable). Slow but sure, he was through to Diablo who was his usual benign self with Gold and the merc snugged in front of the hose.

6ZoNIsJ.jpg

Up through act 5 things started getting quite hairy in the CP and I was beginning to think about dialing it down to /p1. Gold persevered through anyways, struggling with his ever-lowering damage until I realized something:

I'm an idiot.

For some reason I was thinking this whole time that The Grandfather had a clvl requirement of 85. I was just trying to figure out if it was going to be worth it to level him to 85 to get it when I went to go look at the stats one more time. Lo and behold: clvl required is 81. *facepalm* So anyways, Gold has a shiny new weapon! :D

L8yG1iP.jpg

Now THAT is a gold sword! Basically doubled his damage as well, which is always nice. I'm going to keep Crainte Vomir on switch for the slow, since that might come in handy for the home stretch, but I'm happy that I get to keep it on /p3 for the remainder.

The ancients were....tough. A few quick deaths to them before we could get a roll that was fightable. It took almost all of Gold's pots, but in the end he prevailed. The waves were slow as molasses, but relatively easy as Gold took the precaution to lead them out in groups to avoid being swarmed. The Baal fight itself was also slow, but simple at least. With Reapers it was simply a waiting game, and Gold hacked away at his leisure.

ftv5OkU.jpg

There we have it, the final colour of the sept is officially complete! He was a fun char (moreso than I thought he'd be), I'll have more thoughts on him in his Pat thread.

Gold the Concentrate Barbarian, lvl 82 - Patriarch

Last edited:
One last time! This one's a little different, though. I know what you're thinking:

"Didn't you already do one character of each colour?"

Very astute, I certainly did! This time around instead of one single colour, the character has every single colour on it all at once. Think of it as a celebration of the project, the prism through which all the colours of light come back together to form one brilliant, multi-coloured abomination.

In planning this character, I also wanted to incorporate every single colour in his skills as well. This left me with basically a single option, the Zookeeper/Overlord. I'll get to the decisions on the colours in a minute, but first let me formally introduce: ROYGBIV, the Zookeeper Necromancer.

2KqsH9o.jpg

That's a lot of colour! Now, the fun stuff.

Gear:
The only caveat here was that he had to incorporate something from each of the 11 haracters in this project, and he had to use only end-game equipment of theirs. Here's how it shook out in the end:

Head: Trangs (Yellow)
Body: Heavenly Garb (Blue) - The cool thing about this one is since it's a light armour, it doesn't have the full-body colour transformation of the heavier stuff. It actually displays the boots as blue, but leaves the Neromancer in red pants. Nice way to get an extra colour in to the character display.
Weapon: Gravenspine (Green) - An actual Necromancer item, nice!
Shield: Chromatic Gothic Shield of Razors (Orange)
Gloves: Sander's Taboo (Violet)
Belt: String of Ears (Red) - Since his pants display red, naturally his belt should be too.
Boots: Gorefoot (Indigo) - The armour displays blue boots too, so it made sense to use the second "blue" slot for these even if they don't technically display themselves. Consistency is key!

It made sense to use the miscellanous slots for the non-rainbow colours, as they were an addendum to the original sept.

Rings: Stone of Jordan (White)/Dwarf Star (Grey)
Amulet: Vidala's Snare (Black)
Charms: Gheeds (Gold)

Now that is a wild set of equipment! Okay, on to the skills.

As stated above, I wanted to find a way to incorporate every colour in the skills as well. There are a couple slight reaches in there, but I think I got it:

Red: Corpse Explosion
Orange: Fire Mages
Yellow: Clay Golem
Green: Poison Mages/Conviction(from the merc - Infinity)
Blue: Cold Mages
Indigo: Decrep
Violet: Lower Resist

White: Lightning Mages/Bone armour
Black: Revives
Grey: Skellies - bit of a stretch, but I'm counting it.
Gold: Might(from the merc) - I could have used a curse for this, but realistically I'm not going to be casting anything other than Decrep/LR so that felt a bit cheesy. Might will be underfoot the entire way, so that felt more appropriate.

Close enough!

I didn't feel it necessary to take you through his journey in normal/NM since you've all seen all the interim gear on the other characters. Instead I thought we'd pick him up at the beginning of Hell for his big introductory post and go through the last difficulty together from there. More on that next time!

Officially out into Hell on /p3, Roy got to really flex his colourful muscles to their fullest:

wTvfo5O.jpg

The only thing that sort of slows them down are PIs such as this fine gentleman (though being breakable by Decrep sure makes it easier). The army forged forward and grabbed Cain before heading down to Andariel. There really isn't much to say about gameplay as it's just 'follow the army', though I am making an effort to include mages/lower resist and revives since it's easy to fall into the trap of leaning on skellies too much. Roy overwhelmed Radament, dismissed his army so the merc could take the Maggot Lair, and then re-summoned them all to go visit Fangskin. Duriel soon fell, and it was off to the jungles.

A bit more fun out there since the jungles are open enough to not be restrictive, but the rivers keep the army contained to more easily focus their attacks.

O0j650D.jpg

Sszark, Endugu, Sarina all fell with ease. And then the army had a fight I like to call "Chaos at the Council"

0oCOrBX.jpg

That's a good example of how wide-open spaces can be trouble for this build. Too many different fighting points for the army to focus, there is just a LOT happening here. They did of course prevail and it was into the Durance (where things got a bit crowded at times) before knocking off Meph and heading on.

Easily through Izual, some of the perks of having a massive army became obvious when dealing with guys like these became a walk in the park. Then of course those very same Urdars made short work of Hephasto before Roy grabbed a Lum and worked his way to Diablo. Act 5 was quite simple, though things in the Frozen River got a bit... hectic:

JKusEBx.jpg

You can see that the army has gotten split in a few directions, but a sharp eye kept Roy safe and they slowly they made their way though, saved Anya, easily flattened the Ancients, and worked through to the Throne. The waves were no problem with such a massive group, and Baal was, well, anti-climactic. Clay Golem + Decrep = bye bye Baal.

ZhBy49T.jpg

ROYGBIV the Zookeeper Necromancer, lvl 83 - Patriarch

I'll have more thoughts on Roy in his Pat thread.

--

So that's that for the project! Overall it was quite fun, and it was honestly a blast to organize and theorycraft the whole thing. It was fun looking at the game through an almost purely aesthetic lens, even if some of the builds were a bit trying at times.

I had a blast doing this, and I'd like to thank you all for following along and giving feedback, as well as being patient with me while I indulged on this silly project. I definitely recommend trying something like this yourself, even if it's not a full-fledged sept but just a character or two for fun.

Such an epic themed sept+ (almost double sept!). That council screenie is truly epic, and makes me want to give a version of this build a go! Quite a lot going on there, and in this project in general. Congrats, thanks for doing it, and thanks for sharing such great write ups :)

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High