eBotD Archon Staff Sept - Progress and Planning Thread

Pb_pal

Mar 19, 2020
THWACK! THWACK! THWACK!

Background

As with many of the projects we see in this little corner of the internet we call the SPF, this one has its roots wayyyyyyyyyy back. Back in patch 1.09 when runes above Pul basically didn't exist (for me, anyway) and BotD was just something to look at on a webpage. I remember fighting my way through nightmare with my very first, very terribly built SP barbarian who had points spread throughout the different masteries dreaming the (at the time) impossible dream of owning one some day. For some reason, whatever it may be, I always wanted to make one in an Archon Staff.

So I did.

Code:
Breath of the Dying
Archon Staff
VexHelElEldZodEth
Two Hand Damage: 600 - 716
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 69
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x22cbe93e
Item Level: 88
Version: Expansion 1.10+
50% Chance to cast level 20 Poison Nova when you Kill an Enemy
Indestructible
+60% Increased Attack Speed
384% Enhanced Damage
-25% Target Defense
+50 to Attack Rating
+200% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
7% Mana stolen per hit
13% Life stolen per hit
Prevent Monster Heal
All Stats +30
+1 to Light Radius
Requirements -20%
Ethereal
6 Sockets (6 used)
Socketed: Vex Rune
Socketed: Hel Rune
Socketed: El Rune
Socketed: Eld Rune
Socketed: Zod Rune
Socketed: Eth Rune

The plan was originally only to make a Charger and cross that off the bucket list but, as things often do, that changed. After feeling the itch to use the staff again and complete a Barb and Druid, it seemed only logical to complete all the other classes as well. Thus, the eBotD Archon Staff Sept is officially born.

Rules:

1. All fighting to be done with the eBotD AS once available.
1. a)twinking may be done with War/Rune Staves, that's it.​

2. Characters must be melee. No casters simply holding the weapon, obviously.

3. Every character must have a unique mercenary type (or aura, at least).

Pretty simple.

Confused still? Here's a quick Q+A to hopefully alleviate any concerns.

Q: Wouldn't <insert base item here> be a better base for BotD?
A: Probably, but I'm using an Archon Staff.

Q: Wouldn't <insert item here> be a better weapon for twinking?
A: Almost certainly, but it doesn't fit the theme.

Q: What did you twink with then?
A: Envy-jeweled War Staff+Armours, 'Insight' Rune Staff, misc equipment like Sigon's Set and other mid-range twinking items on a case-by-case basis.

Q: Why those?
A: The staves for the theme, the rest out of pure laziness. I don't generally put much thought into twinking.

Q: What is with the names?
A: They are all named after cats (and one mountain lion) from one of the finest pieces of Canadian television programming out there, Trailer Park Boys.

Q: Is this fun? Should I try it?
A: Absolutely! THWACK!

--

Characters:

I'll keep this post updated with the group's progress.

Amazon: RonniePumpkin - lvl 86 - Complete (Mat Thread)
Build: Bearzon
Merc: 'Ice' Rogue (Cold)

Assassin: Snapjacks - lvl 86 - Complete (Mat Thread)
Build: Tiger Striker
Merc: Town Guard (Blessed Aim)

Barbarian: Sgt_Meowenstein - lvl 86 - Complete (Pat thread)
Build: Leap Attack/WW
Merc: Barbarian with Lawbringer

Druid: SteveFrench - lvl 86 - Complete (Pat thread)
Build: Fury Wolf with Dire Wolves
Merc: Iron Wolf (Cold)

Necromancer: VinceThePince - lvl 79 - Complete (Pat Thread)
Build: PNova-synergized Meleemancer
Merc: 'Faith' Rogue (Fire)

Paladin: Gary_Lasereyes - lvl 87 - Complete (Pat Thread)
Build: Conviction Charger
Merc: Town guard (Might)

Sorceress: OrangeThunder - lvl 1 - Complete (Mat Thread)
Build: Enchantress
Merc: Town Guard (Holy Freeze)

--

This thread will include periodic posts about the group's progress, theorycrafting, ramblings and nonsense. Feel free to share your own thoughts, suggestions, theorycrafting, and hair-brained ideas. I'd love to hear them all!

Last edited:
Truth be told I couldn't wait to start the Necro before putting this thread up, so VinceThePince has already progressed some!

Vince got geared up with Envy jeweled gear and some Angelic jewelery for what will no doubt be a much different experience from the three previous powerhouses. There is something just a bit... off about necros swinging staves, it looks like it weighs more than he does!

q25RyUb.jpg

Gameplay is a bit different too since he can't just brute force his way through all situations. That said, with a bit of care (and some help from the rogue) he cruised fairly easily and harmlessly through to Andy and Duriel, and once the Rogue got some better bows it was off to the races (with a quick clay golem graveyard session at Diablo) and he soon hit Slayer at 41.

More of the same in NM, but with more levels came more gear upgrades and things got smoother. Andy and Duriel were soon dispatched, and it was to the jungles. I didn't really like having to chase down quick little buggers with a slow-swinging necro but I'm hoping this is remedied once the big staff is introduced, both by attack speed and the PNovas helping. Through to Meph, and Diablo, Act 5 is where things got interesting (at lest equipment-wise). The group plowed through to Anya and got Gwinni her new toy:

1bv8oMm.jpg

That certainly helped, and made things feel much smoother. Before he knew it Vince had made it to the Throne and gotten his final piece of gear

ODKwwMP.jpg

He's now sporting Bramble, Gwinni gets the Fortitude, and Vicne could finally put all his skill-points into actually useful stuff! From there it was a quick jaunt to Baal, becoming Champion at 70. Next up, some quick gear changes and finalizations, and then we'll see if his PNova-proccing plan can actually come to fruition!

RonniePumkin is gonna kick some ass!

Reactions: Pb_pal
Looking forward to find out where the skill points go after the 40 in synergies..

Bone armor and synergies, no? Awesome to see this thread. Very excited to follow along!

Quick little update here for VinceThePince. No actual gameplay as that time has been devoted to the RFL, but I've gone ahead and gotten him ready for Hell.

I've made the choice to finally break from the '/p8 all the way' trend from the original 3 characters. The whole point of Vince is to use the ctc PNova from his staff, and I've made some gear choices (Bramble, Trangs gloves) to directly reflect that. That said, Hell will be done on /p1 for him to maximize the damage from PNova, as it doesn't scale super well. A final respec to minmax everything and put his extra non-poison-related skillpoints to use. On that note, one last piece of hardware was needed:

1os0LuI.jpg

Perfect aura roll, great! Now just one more step.

ZAHpVOS.jpg

There we have officially the most expensive Iron Golem I've ever created (and likely ever will). Hopefully 20 hard points in GM (and a bunch in FG for the extra life) are enough to keep him around...

Pride Golem... That means you HAVE to swap the Bramble out for an Enigma right?

Reactions: Luhkoh
yeah I second what @saracen85 says. I'm gonna be crying for you if this guys poofs from walking too far away (not tough to do in normal gameplay, you gonna follow him everywhere?). But assuming you somehow avoid that...awesommmme. You taking vids of these guys in action?

TBH, I really don't understand how aura-providing golems work, but they poof way more easily than "normal" items, at least for me. I can keep 6x Insight in stash and use them all just for 1 act.

yeah I second what @saracen85 says. I'm gonna be crying for you if this guys poofs from walking too far away (not tough to do in normal gameplay, you gonna follow him everywhere?). But assuming you somehow avoid that...awesommmme. You taking vids of these guys in action?
I have another 'Pride's worth if runes set aside just in case, but I think having him there will be motivation enough to stay close. :p

As for vids, I'll probably take one of Vince at some point for a look at the gameplay since he's using an unusual mechanic. Not so sure with the others, since they are more cookie-cutter, maybe the bearzon though since that's kinda interesting.

@Pb_pal fwiw i think its a fun thing to add to the sept regardless of originality. Just another way to document the character. Could always get an action vid of one fun area or something. But thats just my 2c, no pressure! Now dont lose that golem!

To we get a sweepstake for how & when the IG dies?
I'm going Ghosts & Archers in A1.

I can't even keep a Pride merc alive that long normally.

Holy flaunt Batman, that is quite the irongolem. Reading about the week rubberband of IG makes me anxious about it, and it's not even my pride on the line.

In the interest of continuing @maxicek's pool, I put my pgems on temple stairtrap in A3.

[...]
There we have officially the most expensive Iron Golem I've ever created (and likely ever will). Hopefully 20 hard points in GM (and a bunch in FG for the extra life) are enough to keep him around...
Also, I do hope you mean "extra points in bloodgolem for the extra life".

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High