Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

fEwS3N1.jpg

It seems I've lost my mojo :(

Congratulations on the RIP :D

It has occurred to me that even though I play HC, I still always stash my gold, just incase I die and 'lose it' o_O

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that does this :) I started playing HC in ~2014, and still haven't broken the habit of stashing all my gold just in case I die.

What is the history of the term "twinking" in the context of Diablo II? I recall seeing it used as far back as the original Lurker Lounge (1999-2001). Was it a carryover from the Diablo 1 bnet lingo?

Also side question? What diablo 1 terms DID carry over to Diablo II?

You shouldn't feel bad for not being around lately. RL comes first. It's quite possible you feel bad because you haven't been around much lately though. Rehab from the SPF isn't easy ;).

@necrolemming I can cure that:

If I admonish you and say "You should feel bad", you'll be like "Who is this guy to tell me how I should feel?" and then you'll not feel bad anymore...though feeling bad may now be replaced with feeling angry...but you won't be feeling bad and that's all that I promised!

You shouldn't feel bad for not being around lately. RL comes first. It's quite possible you feel bad because you haven't been around much lately though. Rehab from the SPF isn't easy ;).
na it's because I've been playing a different timesink
I still have a lot of stuff I'd like to do in D2, it's just that motivation to take time off from grinding in one game to grind in a different one is not very high right now (especially with the summer heat and spending time working out and such), which correspondingly leads me to not check in here quite as often

Hmm..

For those who have run some maps hundreds and thousands of times...

Do you feel like your map goes in "waves" of boss density? For my current map it seemed like a bosspack would spawn in one area at least 20% of the time but tonight it seems to be less than 5% of the time. It's very weird.

@pharphis I had that happen in the area round of RFL. At first my CS map was incredibly good. Afterwards nothing anymore.

For Nihl, which I have done over 6000 times now with my Sorc, things also go in waves. Yesterday for example he spawned LI almost every single time. I also had almost no runs with Vipers and overall very easy runs. That's sometimes very different.

@pharphis absolutely. My CS map seems to have quite clear patterns of boss pack spawning. And not just boss pack spawning, normal monsters too. Sometimes I have an hour of superfast runs because there's no one around, but only to be followed by 2 hours of absolutely packed CS and runs take longer.

I've noticed certain patterns in boss spawning, but I think that's quite common? For example in my current CS map, if a boss pack spawns at a specific spot between RoF and CS, I know with roughly 75% accuracy where the next 4 boss packs will be, 2 in RoF and 2 in CS. If that boss pack does not spawn, I can predict only two pack spawns, 1 in RoF and 1 in CS, rest are bit more random.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that teleport/walking from certain direction might have an impact on this. Similar to how Weapon/Armor racks (I think?) have that pattern of dropping a certain type of item when you "open" them from certain direction? I tried to look it up but it's been years since I recall reading about it that it might as well been a dream. So take this last bit with a huge box of table salt if you will.

@pharphis - I've often gotten that sense, yes. My logical side tells my it's simply a massive case of Apophenia, but I can't quite shake the feeling that there's something to it.

The following will apply to spawn locations/densities only, as things like mods on bosses can either almost certainly be attributed to "luck", or straight percentages based on the inherent mods the boss has and the combination of mods he can spawn. Also, as always, bring along a bucket full of salt for this since it is not tested and I am no code master bringing secrets from the depths.

--

As @Neksja suggests, there is a possibility that the pathing you take could factor in to this. We know that pathing affects rack drops, and the infamous magical line that directly affects Trav spawn locations. Gripp has even mentioned there might be other 'magical lines' for Trav, they just aren't efficient routes so nobody cares. Council members are a hard-coded spawn, sure, but it doesn't seem too far of a leap that there would be some sort of algorithm in the code that has magical lines all over the place that could affect spawn locations of "random" boss packs. Another not-so-far leap would dictate that the magical lines could go so far as to affect whether or not certain boss packs will spawn at all (or rather, if they spawn "out of bounds" - like in a wall, or fiery river - they get dropped, or something along those lines). Maybe this makes sense as to why some maps have such higher densities (check the Hall of Records if you want examples). Maybe some maps have better layouts of magical lines simply due to topography of the map, giving the map more options of locations to have a successful spawn.

This becomes tricky since we all tend to take a near-exact route on our runs, meaning we *should* hit very similar combinations of magical lines pretty consistently, but it could also mean that when we see these 'trends' of lower density we have subconsciously altered our route in a small way, and once we break that habit and return to our regular route we get back to our 'normal' densities.

I'll just finish this by saying that I don't think this is actually the case. Confirmation bias is a helluva thing, and I'm sure logical fallacies abound in my reasoning above. In a game like this where so much is dependent on RNG the likely explanation is that things are, well, random. However, if someone can figure out a way to test this in a substantial way, I'm all ears.

I was wondering about this quite often, and have caught myself trying to find out whether different teleport paths actually lead to different spawning similar to Trav.

But yeah, I also believe it's truly random and not dependent on teleport paths. For example on Pit maps there are often boss spawning locations so close to the entrance that they're spawning before any movement is made after entering the Pit level 1. So it can't be down to the teleporting in Pits. Yet they're not stable either. And I really have trouble entertaining the idea that different teleporting paths in Tamoe Highland have an effect on spawning in the Pit. ;)

However, I do buy into the notion that map topography has an impact on density. Bosses spawn in "sort of" the same area, but still always in slightly different exact positions. If there is e.g. a small wall/obstacle near an approximate spawning location, you can often observe how a boss pack sometimes spawns on one side of it and sometimes on another. Now if a boss pack spawns near a wall behind which there is no playable area, it seems only logical to assume that you can "lose" boss packs because they spawn there. Then the map may be trying to spawn bosses constantly in some voids so you never get to see them, leading to lower density. In other words, a big part of density randomness may be more about a favourable alignment of boss spawning locations and map layout (as opposed to number of bosses the map is "trying" to spawn).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High