The PvP Thread

My points considering 1pt CM are valid. If you are indifferent to it, don't change it.

Blizz sorcs aren't popular not because they are weak, but because they are boring. There was a guy a few years back who played Blizz sorc, I don't remember his name. IIRC he had only average items, yet he was perfectly competitive.

With 1pt CM it's feasible to stack just to reach a comfort zone - surviving 2-4 Blizzards.

No CM limit means 10 extra inventory basically. It's already hard to cover resists, there's absolutely no reason to create extra burden.

Really wish I could do this...I got the characters, I got the gear, what I don't got is the connectivity...
Only internet available at the house is satellite, so my ping, on a good day, is >1200😭 :mad:

Hope y'all have fun, I'm very jealous :p

WoRG

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: ffs and maxicek
GGs.

Too bad I missed good chunk of evening but remainder was nice. Also we almost had a full house. Hopefully this keeps up :)

Hopefully @WoRG gets better internet given time and comes and stomps us into oblivion :D

Reactions: d2lover
Thanks for the games everyone and thanks for hosting again @frozzzen!

Highlight was @Miron mindblasting someone so incredibly hard, not only did the poor guy die, he immediately dopped out of the entire game. Respawn denied! Can't remember who the victim was but that was savage. ;)

Reactions: Miron and d2lover
Looks like my plans are changing a bit, probably will be able to join today as well!

I died a lot yesterday, especially with the new chars, really gotta be more patient and careful. Suicidal stomping and teleporting into hammer fields doesn't seem to work for some reason. :D

Really liked your fire sorc @Delsy, was that 105 FCR vita? Seemed impossible to catch that thing!

As for the new chars I tried:

BvA
Sucked.. or rather I did! Simply died 5-6 times without getting a single kill. Only played with Grief/Beast BvC setup but anti-phyiscal setup wouldn't have made a difference. Definitely requires some experience to play him properly. Think I'll give him a break for a while and will pick him up once I have a better idea of what's going on hehe...

Smite/FoH:
Surprised how well Smite did, he came out on top in many 1v1 exchanges. But those usually left me in really bad shape, losing way too much life, easy prey for others in FFA. More experienced players will know better when to engage in a (favorable) exchange and when to back off, but I don't. ;)

Also I teleported too much with him I think, should try to charge/desynch more.

I'll probably respec this guy to Hammer/Smite. I came to like Smite a lot, but for noobs like me it's probably better to hybridize with Hammers rather than FoH, and using Smite mostly vs ranged chars rather than as primary attack. At least in FFA where losing too much life from Smiting leaves you too vulnerable.

Windy:
Overall he did OK for his first time round, except he got absolutely destroyed by traps and hammers... although I understand my stupidity is more to blame for the latter. ;)

He was super fun to play though, especially with 163 FCR when going up against casters. Definitely will play him more going forward.

Also thanks @Gripphon for my Necro practice session at the end! :)

Reactions: Gripphon
Nice games last night. I’m trying to get all my PvP characters re-setup, so will try something new again tonight.

@ffs: Any hybrid Paladin is hard as there are many keys. Liberator (Charge Smite Hammers) is a good build but a steep learning curve.

Couple of questions:
GMB at 8FPA needs only 50IAS and out damages all other setups I think. Anyone ever tried it / thoughts?

Any thoughts about Mage Paladin? I know @nulio had a hax one.

@Delsy Summer was the name of the Blizzard sorc iirc, can’t remember who played her. I had 78CR and a Ravenfrost, blizzard was doing 3k damage. Agreed on 1pt CM. I think for new players turning up with a PvM sorc it is fine for a couple of nights though, I don’t want to discourage people from trying. After all the biggest barrier to getting more people into PvP seems to be getting them to try. Almost everyone who tries continues playing.

Last edited:
After all the biggest barrier to getting more people into PvP seems to be getting them to try.
Very true, wanted to try forever but always put it off. My main concern is not the lack of experience (of which I have none) but mostly that I lack good damage reduction setups, especially when it comes to the helm. I don't have CoA with 2os and didn't bother racking 1.07 Shako yet, so I am lacking there.

I was thinking FB would be a good start and since I have +11 Beta CtA and 1.07 Arkaine's I could comfortably go for vita setup. Which would be better overall: 1.07 Shako or 1.13 Shako? The former could take a while though, seeing how long racking can take.

@art_vandelay do join the fun! While %DR gear is important in general, based on my experience I wouldn’t worry too much about it either... I can honestly say the chars of mine who used good DR items such as BerBer CoA still can die rather quickly.. including to physical damage. :D In some situations it certainly makes a difference, but to me it seems like most of my noob deaths occur from bad decisions in which 50% DR can’t save me anyway. :)

Also if you’re leaning towards FB Sorc, as mentioned with ES you can practically ignore %DR altogether.

Reactions: art_vandelay
My guess is that if you decide to go for full vita setup, 1.07 Shako will be better than 1.10+ one. If you would accept items from others, I have couple spares. Also couple 2os CoAs but they aren't exactly top rolls on %DR. Idk if there's someone with good ones around, but good CoA is probably best helmet long term.

But yeah, %DR shouldn't scare you off trying PvP. Just get your feet wet. Firesorc is really good character to start with. If you like PvP enough to decide to stick around then you can think of *proper* builds and such. I sure know how my first PvP characters looked like, and it was bad :D

Reactions: art_vandelay
Good games.
Some fun from tonight, Smite/Bow pala in action. By far the most confusing character I played :ROFLMAO:

@Gripphon nice gameplay vid... and here I thought in 1v1 with Windy I did OK against that guy, seems I was sorely mistaken!

I only have two CoAs with 2os and kinda need both socketings (BerBer & BerCham), so can't help with donations there sadly... Luckily mine rolled well overall, but in fact I could use even more with 2os, even if just to stuff them with -req/resist or something.

But when it comes to PvP headgear I'm mostly hoping go get some nice circlets. I do have 2/20s for all classes but Assassin is the only really GG one, and even there I could use a 2os one... Plus I haven't even made a PvP Sin so far. :p That's why I'm still running Travincal with GF Sorc as if RFL was happening right now ;) hoping for a miracle and some extra Bers along the way.

@art_vandelay
Stormshield + fcr circlet is a solid alternative which you could rock. Or 1.07 Shako with Ber + Verdungo leading to 31 DR. Ber Shako is okay endgame option for assassins and paladins so such slot is never wasted. And then you simply wait for that elusive CoA or trade for one.

@maxicek
Mage is strong, but somewhat confusing to play since good aura management is needed. It is mostly 95% Hammerdin with random FoH spamming for extra damage on range and randomly you catch someone with Conviction. He is certainly not one dimensional like pure hammer is ;)

@ffs
You are doing fine. Smiter is easy to underestimate but hits very hard. It isn't shocking he can kill windy. I'm not sure anymore how strong windy actually is. He is hard to play.

Hammer can spam hammers and kill. Bonenec has range and can kill with spam. Sorceress has range and kills with spam mostly. Trapper has traps to kill. Even bowa can kill by just spamming. Windy just in theory could kill with spam, in reality needs to stomp. You have to earn your kills with him. Yesterday you played very hard to play characters who are not forgiving. But, this way you will learn faster even if it means being killed a lot. Even now Delsy could like 8-2 my barb with his bowa and I'm solid player and in theory barb should 8-2 bowa instead. And I don't care, I'll still take barb and whack.

Harder to play characters are rewarding in more ways than just counting kills :D
When I take barb or smiter, I expect to have many troublesome, even impossible matchups. So, there I am, standing with BvC, and @Miron is there with his BvA. What am I supposed to do? Oh I know. Let's whirl! Half hp lost, he lost 10%. Okay, where is that bowa? Bam, invisible hammer, dead.

Last edited:
For the mage I’m wondering about the merits of a 1.07 Ber Shako + Spirit vs Griffons and HoZ. FoH damage will be much more significant with the Griffons but lacks FHR and any %DR.

I will be there a bit later tonight. Need to do a respec and cook some food.

I'll come after 7 pm.
As for Mage, better option is to go with Spirit. I did Griffon's + HoZ just because no other paladin uses HoZ

Game up. I'll be here around 7pm or so, but getting the game up early if someone wants to play earlier.

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High