The PvP Thread

@frozzzen yeah my FB sorc got killed several times by traps and/or whirling. :D To be clear I'm not talking about objective power level or specific matchups, just wanted to make the point that she stays alive well and that's why I liked her best for starting out in PvP. Even if half your mana is wrecked after some mistake/bad engagement, it quickly regenerates and you live to fight on. Main message being it's easier to get more practice time than with less tanky builds, and practice is the prime objective when starting out. For me at least. Can only learn so much from waiting at the Blood Moor entrance. :)

I wouldn't say FB/ES Sorc is anything like my "main" char btw, won't bring her today either.... rather keep changing things up and going all melee this time. :cool:

@Gripphon I see the point of not getting better at PvP from spamming, but not sure how that's a problem with Necro and FB Sorc, both rely on namelocking and are good to practice it no? Ofc you can turtle from off-screen, but apart from very lucky random hits, to actually kill something you need to namelock with both of these builds.

Today's session when? Itching to try my new chars. :)

@ffs
I just wanted to say necro and mostly sorceress are more than just spam-from-distance type of characters, that is merely their plus. ES sorc is excellent for learning namelock and applying pressure with fast teleporting, positioning and aiming fireballs or other skills.

I don't know how to play fire sorc because I "never" play her. When I do, I go too aggressive and tend to die when not needed, but killing very fast overall. What I see is her potential to be like a wrecking machine, not the one who keeps distance and spams, but the one who is at your tail applying pressure with "1k" deathballs flying your way.

Or Blizzard sorc. I've ever seen only those who Blizzard themselves or stay off screen dropping Blizzards near them hoping you teleport in. That is a good starting point. Now how about we talk about Blizzard sorc who will stomp you with ~2k damage blasts, will namelock you and Blizzard you... I've never seen that in action. I played Orb sorceress while doing all the kills with Ice Blast. Is that Orb sorceress then? I don't know. Main weapon of Orb sorceress is Ice Blast, 1.5k damage killing stomping machine of a skill, not Orb spamming. Yet, most will say "Orb sorc is just spamming". Is she? Depends how is she played.

I just want to say interpretation of sorcs is a bit influenced by the past where everyone played the dodge game with them. They are worth exploring more deeply. I'd like to be stomped by 900 damage fireball sorc or Blizzarded from namelock. I can't guess how dangerous or strong sorc would be then. Most dangerous I recall was played by Colony just because he stomped me to kill, I had to watch carefully where he is or be "surprised". I did kill him because of this, but he also killed me too. I couldn't really relax properly. He tried to control the fight and not allow me to attack him to my liking all the time.

Reactions: d2lover
Corrupted was the best fire sorc player. Pyro's Sapphire was arguably better built, but Corr was more skillful.

Reactions: d2lover
1pt CM rule is here for a reason. Absence of Anni/Torch and Anya bug in the first place. Lack of good charms/items in the second.

Blizz sorc is perfectly viable with 1pt CM. If a new player brings his PvM sorc I don't mind. But removing the rule, absolutely not.

4k pvp damage for crying out loud. 80% of my inventory are res charms already. I have 8 tiles I can still swap for stack, which most likely wouldn't save me of being killed in one hit anyway.

In what world are 1 hit kills with Blizzard fun? It's absolutely BM. I don't stack abs so you can play your trapsins etc. In return, I expect to not be killed by Blizz in one hit, especially when I'm already stated/geared defensively.

Reactions: Miron and d2lover
@Delsy those are good points and I must admit I was a bit surprised how quickly the CM cap disappeared :) but let's see what happens when Gripphon brings his Blizzy along and whether it's manageable: Otherwise if he one-shots everything left and right, the cap can be re-included.

Speaking of which, usual time later, around 19h CET?

I just built Blizzard sorc, once I insert 3 facets in gear slots, she will have:

3k hp with Oak
105 FCR
49% DR
11594-12056 Blizzard damage
5791 Ice Blast damage average (1969 PvP)

Essentially, her kill damage is 3942-4099 aka over 4k

How are you calculating those PvP damage numbers?

Don't worry guys, I'll just test her, not actually play her after that. CM is fine with new players who can't build high damage sorc and not be completely glass cannon. I'm also not finding pleasure in playing something that in theory 1 shots most characters. But, we have to see is she actually strong or is Blizzard unreliable.

After test I'm gonna rebuild her. I was thinking like 2k Blizzard, 1k+ Blast and okay Orb to have full cold sorc on all fronts.

@maxicek
Damage * 0.17 for PvP damage, and then * influence of resistances.

If -100%, then resistances factor is *2
12k Blizzard * 0.17 * 2 = 4080 PvP damage

On full stack it would be 12000 * 0.17 * 0.25 = 510

Assuming standard setup of ES/blizzard sorc, difference between 1 point CM and 20 point is roughly using 300 CR vs 400 CR. Don't think either one is feasible without over crippling yourself unless you play Paladin.
If you think about it for a bit, does anyone even play Blizzard sorc? Only even remotely good blizzard sorc died with nulio's google drive, and he was he who was using 1 point CM in the first place. I know I won't play one. Even players that have them usually don't use them at all. So I don't think we need to discuss 1 vs 20 point thing.

Anyway, host up 4h from this post.

Reactions: ffs and Miron
1 point CM is approximately -110 cold resistance, 20 points is around -210.
Most characters have naturally around 120-150 cold resistance. Let's assume 8k Blizzard damage.

If we have 150 cold resistance, after Hell and CM we would have -60
Blizzard would do 2176 damage on lvl 1 CM
On maxed CM same Blizzard would do 2720 damage because of -100 cold resistance

If we throw additional 30 CR grand charm to get to 180 which is reasonable amount, lvl 1 CM Blizzard would do us 1760 damage, maxed CM blizzard still 2720

However, we will see how things go if new players will use Blizzard sorcs at all. If they are not around then no point in discussing CM. Still, 1 point will be auto-nerf on Blizzard skill which honestly may not be needed since only vitality sorc can actually use that, ES one will mostly have 1 point CM and much weaker Blizzard

Regarding rules, the limit on PSN charms is on? IIRC it was 1 SC only right?

I have an interesting idea for a build and would like at least to test it if his gear is against the rules.

Poison charms have no limit. I'm gonna bring few of those today. Actually I made poison barb before but never tested him properly. Now the time has come...

Anyway, host up 4h from this post.
Nice, got a bolognese cooking that should be done just in time. :)

On the topic of poison and massive - enemey resist: Any thoughts on Poison Necro? Haven't seen one yet. Maybe I'll quickly throw something together, something like DWeb with 75 FCR and max block. Sounds a bit squishy (low life) and also quite boring to play, but could kill just fine unless opponents have overstacked PR or go for high PLR amounts...

Nice, got a bolognese cooking that should be done just in time. :)

On the topic of poison and massive - enemey resist: Any thoughts on Poison Necro? Haven't seen one yet. Maybe I'll quickly throw something together, something like DWeb with 75 FCR and max block. Sounds a bit squishy (low life) and also quite boring to play, but could kill just fine unless opponents have overstacked PR or go for high PLR amounts...
I can only comment that Psn nova necro is banned in bnet GM duels.

The argument is/was, that it's just so easy to spam and tele, absolutely no skill whatsoever

then when enemy is at low health cast a couple firegolems to finish off

also I read that PSn nova against players has longer duration, but don't know really (in Hell)

Any piece of equipment offering +15% to max resistance (excluding cold possibly) exceedes the limit of 85 max resistance and therefore should not be used. I mean that armor is very weak and I wouldn't mind if some sorc uses it against melee sin xD

Poison nova necro is playable and is strong, but issue is Lower Resist which ruins ffa for everyone since it will make poison necro stronger, but it will make trapper or firesorc unbeatable without serious overstack on resistances. Poison necro without lower resist... I don't know. I plan on playing today necro hybrid so we shall see how things work.

@d2lover
I've never seen one. It is ilvl90 or something which means very few targets in the game can drop it. I do have 4x 313 poison damage ones though.

Game up.

Down

I won't be here right away but that doesn't mean you can't take front seats and start early. Have some errands to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxicek and ffs
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High