[Simple+] Tournament of Tournaments!

Edit: @coju @Cattleya there is no scoring in the 12 Labors Tournament. Should we just put 1/12 or whatever to indicate completed labors in that column?
The scoring for this tourney is universal no matter what tournament was picked. One point per act completed without death or S&E:
Scoring! ....What? How is this possible Vang!! Well, you know we like to track progress.
  • 1 point for each act completed
  • No point awarded in any act that a player S&E or dies (SC only for obvious reasons)
  • 15 points maximum!

Once I get going, I just figure I'll keep track of my Labor progress in my updates part of my post.

Reactions: Vang and D2DC
Normal Duriel on P7 on a pure Bowa build without merc...
Let's just say that I prepared pretty hard.
Maxed Cold resist and 4x4 belt was equipped, cold arrow to slow the beetle and Immo arrow to fry it.

Luckily I had this fine drop with 0 MF, which improved my survivability:
Screenshot047.png

And Duriel delivered nothing really in particular...
Screenshot049.png
(Cube on floor to extract juvies...)

So now I have to decide if not A3 is worth taking on P7 and then go P3 in act 4...

Rich (BB code):
Tournament of Tournaments Participation and Score Table
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location      S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------    ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    47    N Rogue Camp  0      HC            05
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     50    Rogue Camp N  0      HC            05
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     27    Kurast dock   0      SC            02
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains   0      SC            00
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Vildecor
Got off to a rough start with Monty. The very first mob I ran into in the Blood Moor took off ~2/3 of his HP... Once he got a few levels it improved to where every zombie isn't a tense battle for life or death. Upon hitting level 6, I had the internal debate between putting a point in holy fire to improve his 1-3 punching damage against after level 18 it'll be a wasted skill point. This should not have been a debate at all. Without the point in holy fire Act I would have taken 30 hours and I'd have probably died of boredom.

Even with no weapon, holy fire steamrolls everything in Act I. That's not to say I wasn't glad when I hit level 18 and could switch to Blessed Hammer, because I certainly was. BH made quick work of everything (when I could aim it properly) including Andy. This was surprisingly one of my easiest Andy fights I can remember, since I don't need to worry about gear or AR or blocking, all his stat points go straight into vitality, so he had a lot of life compared to most characters.
Screenshot094.png

He did find several end game charms in Act I, if it keeps up, his resists will probably be positive for NM. We will see how they look in Hell. I'll post one just to showcase what qualifies as an exciting drop for him, though I probably won't post many more.
Screenshot089.png

He's currently at level 20. Next up will be getting the cube before tackling Radament.

Frealaf, HC, SP, clvl 52, Bulging Biceps Barbarian, N Lut Gholein

And as the flames climbed high into the night ...
110.png
... I saw Frealaf laughing with delight, the day the demon died.

Yes, NM Act I has been completed. It was fully cleared at players 7.

NM Act I started off slow, but in the end, resulted in some modest upgrades for both Barb and merc alike. The main holdup was IAS ... and work ... yep, if I didn't have to work I could so much more D2 stuff done ... er, anyhow ... IAS. One point Berserk with a Bonesnap War Club was working, but with 10 IAS it was painfully slow. That's a 19 frame attack, kind of slow :( . I was hoping to speed things up with three piece Sigon's (gloves, belt, and boots). I already had the belt from Act V and was hoping to find the other two. To that end, I decided that I'd save all my gold until I found one, and then try to gamble the other! It took a while, but the gloves finally dropped in the Pit Level 2:

111.png

I then started dumping my 3 million gold coins into Gheed's pockets. About half way through my savings:

112.png

Success! I don't know if this was a legitimate strategy, or if I just got lucky. But, I love it when a plan comes together! So I lost some resistances, but swapping to Sigon's gloves, belt, and boots, got me to 30 IAS, and a 16 frame attack. Yeah, not great. But 16 frames feels wildly better than 19 frames. Like, it just might be the difference between completing blows vs hitting nothing but air because the enemy has moved out of range mid swing. Whatever the difference was, it felt good. From the Outer Cloister on, play was much more enjoyable.

The merc (er, bother), also saw some improvements in gear. First, with an eth Steel Gladius:

113.png

Which gives you an idea of how bad his weapon was ... But then later, in the Catacombs Level 2, I found my second Dimensional Blade. The first one had a useless one socket. But this one was eth!

114.png

I decided to use one of my two Amn Runes to give it a roll (figuring anything but one socket would give better options than what the merc was using now). And it rolled:

Dimensional Blade
One Hand Damage: 19 - 52
Durability: 11 of 11
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 75
Required Dexterity: 50
Fingerprint: 0x1ed38dc9
Item Level: 45
Version: Resurrected
Ethereal
5 Sockets (0 used)

Okay :) . That was probably the best outcome! I can't immediately use it ... because I've only found one Sol Rune so far ... and that went to upgrading the Bonesnap ... But, when I find another Sol Rune, I'll use it and the remaining Amn Rune to create Honor. And then the merc will finally, after more than two Acts, have a legitimate weapon ...

And since we're talking about the merc, um, I don't know that he's really growing on me. The casting of Battle Cry is fine I guess ... except for when it isn't. I wanted to use Life Tap against Andariel. He wanted to use Battle Cry. I insisted. He insisted more. And then got dead (go figure). So rather than repeating that farce, I just left him for dead until it was time for the killing blow (for more mf you know ... not that it helped :rolleyes: see above). So yeah, I just don't know when you'd want a merc that insists on casting Battle Cry all the time. The fantasy aspect of it is nice, but it still doesn't really seem all that desirable from a getting-things-done standpoint. If Blizzard really wanted to make the Act V merc rival an Act II merc in terms of usefulness, I'd say pull out the big guns: Battle Orders, or War Cry. Having a merc acting in lieu of a CTA would be worth while. Or having a merc stunning foes reasonably frequently would be worth while. Having a merc override your preferred curses with Battle Cry ... it's just not super appealing.

But enough on that. Let's change gears.

Finds:

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of NM Act I at players 7.
(With 231 mf when the Barb killed, and 314 mf when the merc killed.)

Sigon's Wrap, Plated Belt (Cold Plains) <-- A rude drop when I was wanting gloves or boots :p .
Cathan's Rule, Battle Staff (Cold Plains)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Cold Plains)
Stormguild, Large Shield (Cave Level 1)
Milabrega's Orb, Kite Shield (Crypt)
Skewer of Krintiz, Sabre (Mausoleum)
Cathan's Visage, Mask (Mausoleum)
The Tannr Gorerod, Pike (Dark Wood)
Raven Claw, Long Bow (Black Marsh)
Isenhart's Parry, Gothic Shield (Tower Cellar Level 1)
Isenhart's Horns, Full Helm (Tower Cellar Level 3)
Tancred's Crowbill, Military Pick (Tower Cellar Level 4)
Gravenspine, Bone Wand (Tower Cellar Level 5)
Tearhaunch, Greaves (Tower Cellar Level 5)
Sander's Taboo, Heavy Gloves (Tower Cellar Level 5) <-- Not bad, but 30 IAS is better.
Nightsmoke, Belt (Hole Level 1)
Cleglaw's Claw, Small Shield (Pit Level 2)
Sigon's Gage, Gauntlets (Pit Level 2) <-- Woohoo!
Sigon's Sabot, Greaves (Gambled) :cool:
Spineripper, Poignard (Jail Level 1) <-- Nice damage. Lousy weapon type.
Sigon's Gage, Gauntlets (Jail Level 2) <-- Well, I didn't need a second!
Raven Claw, Long Bow (Jail Level 2) <-- Speaking of seconds ...
Venom Ward, Breast Plate (Cathedral) <-- Good timing for Andariel)
Raven Claw, Long Bow (Catacombs Level 2) <-- What is going on here?

So if you need a spare Rave Claw ... Anyhow. Not bad. I got the three piece Sigon's I was hoping to get :) . A game changing weapon would have been nice, but I think I might have that in the form of that eth, now five socket, Dimensional Blade. Now I just need a Sol Rune ...

Rich (BB code):
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location      S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------    ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    52    N Lut Gholein 0      HC            06
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     50    Rogue Camp N  0      HC            05
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     27    Kurast dock   0      SC            02
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains   0      SC            00
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01

Up next:
Let's go get that Sol Rune! And, um, if something were to drop that would reopen Frenzy as a viable possibility ... I would not be opposed ...

Last edited:
I will be also entering my first Tournament in over 10 years. Altough active at that time, I didn't catch a whiff of the 12 Labors Tournament. It seems both challenging and also at the same time leaving us with enough freedom to gear/build our characters how we want. I'd say it's a good reintroduction to tourneys for me.

I will be entering with Sisyphus the Paladin, who is going the Avenger way. Seems kinda fitting the theme.
I will be playing in SC but will retire after the first death. I will be doing Single Pass, with P8 so long as I can.
Wish us luck.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    52    N Lut Gholein 0      HC            06
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2E    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00

Zwolzf made it to level 24, canyon. I looked and looked for a fire tower, but never found one. Tried to update the map, but did not succeed. Once I get through with Normal, I'm going to reset the map and go back and do it.

Since playing again, I don't do straight p8. I start often at p3/5 just for the ease of levels, then p8 for a bit, and hit bosses at p1 normally. Watching SCLlama do his runs really took the "Machoism" away from my play-style. I certainly don't mind. Here are a few screenies:

No Fire Tower...
Screenshot025.png

Let's reset that map!
Screenshot026.png

Didn't work...
Screenshot027.png
Screenshot028.png
Screenshot029.png
Guess we'll use this against Durial. Maybe it'll work
Screenshot030.png
Ah-ha! Don't have to run the Count for my Eth!
Screenshot031.png
And didn't have to shop for a 2os Breast Plate!

Rich (BB code):
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     24    Lut Gholein    0      SC            01
D2E    Oblivious     12 Labors 2011      Pally   00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00

Attachments

• Screenshot026.png
    Screenshot026.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Kenai the Bear has started his long and tedious journey of a SP, Full-Clear, P8 Fire Claw Werebear. I haven't done a full-clear P8 character in quite some time. I always start on P8 but usually rush to cain, then the countess, and then onwards. Stopping to level at various places that are quick to access through WPs. So this became a very time consuming run to start. Enough of the rambling and back to Kenai.

Kenai made his way through the Moor, Cold Plains, and everywhere else he could find to explore. Gaining level after level. Skill points going into pre-reqs and finally Werebear @ Lvl 6. Werebear does not last very long early on, so there is that pain of shapeshifting every 2 minutes (Literally 120seconds of duration time with Lycanthropy at Lvl 5 and Werebear at Lvl 2)

First notable drop comes in the Stony Field from a random fallen. Rixot's Keen.
Screenshot002.png It was a nice upgrade at the time but only lasted til the Countess. The Countess was gracious to drop 3 runes which is absolutely bonkers, Tir-El-Eld! That means Steel Runeword can be made in a Large Axe shopped from Charsi.Screenshot003.png
Screenshot004.png

That would be the main weapon for Kenai throughout Act 1. After that upgrade it was just more time consuming full clears of Act 1 all the way to Andariel. Nothing of much use, but always good to have more gems for re-rolls and upgrades.Screenshot005.png

Act 2 was nothing too note worthy besides medium upgrades with 3os Breast Plate full of Flawed Topazes. Gambling gloves and boots to get at least 15+ MF which the gloves got 18MF and the boots got 20MF. After cubing all the rings and amulets throughout the act, a 25MF amulet popped up so that was a nice boost. Along the way Kenai found 2 -15Req jewels with 1 having a +30AR boost. At the end of Act 2 before Duriel, Kenai had enough strength plus dex to equip a Deadly Battle Scythe. That helped drastically boosting the damage of Fire Claw.Screenshot007.png
Screenshot006.png
Duriel drops a nice pair of gloves with Sanders. Kenai will save those gloves to be used later, 18MF with a little fire resist is nicer to have currently than the 20IAS w/poison damage.

Decided before moving forward to gamble some circlets, and came across this beauty with a little Max damage, ton of resists. Easy upgrade but sacrificed the 18MF cap.

Screenshot008.png

So after Duriel, Kenai sits in Kurast Docks at Lvl 28 with 226-333 damage Fire Claw (240-371 with maul charges), all pre-reqs to get his brother bear at 30, 7 points into Fire Claw and 8 points into firestorm for the damage synergy. Once he unites with his brother bear in the jungle somewhere at level 30, Kenai will focus back on more damage with putting points into Fire Claw then damage Synergies after that. Survivability is great with being in Werebear, Kenai is sitting on 585 life. The only bad part is the healing pots being so little don't fill up the health pool all that fast.

Off to the jungle Kenai goes, in the quest to unite with his lost brother bear Koda. Until next time, stay safe, good luck and happy hunting.

Rich (BB code):

D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   28    Kurast Dock   0      HC            02

Ok, I have strikered, :), my way to Lower Kurast. I am unsure of whether I'll farm this for a bit as I want to get a bit of better gear and maybe a jewel or two of use (4 blues total, +2max, +7max, 2x +defense ones)

I tackled most of Act 2 on players 8 except Duriel as I left at level 58. I totally whiffed on screenshots though for some reason, guess I wasn't paying attention. Duriel dropped me tons of rares:

Screenshot240.pngOverall my character looks like this:

Screenshot242.png

Skills are:

MA Tree: 20 in Phoenix Strike, 1 in Dragon Claw
Shadow Tree: 9 Fade, 13 Shadow Master, and 4 in Claw Block (+1 all skills on a claw and 2x +2 assassin for a level 17 shadow master)

Plan now is to stagger points: 1 in fade, 1 in claw mastery, 1 in fist of fire, 1 in Claws of thunder, I think.

Maybe someone has an answer on the 3x chipped (normal and flawless recipe) the qlvl of the item determines the mods available if it is on a higher level item, correct? So ideally, I Runic Talon could get +3 MA tree and IAS based on a qlvl of 81 I presume?

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     60    Lwr Kurast N  0      HC            07
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     24    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01

Last edited:
Achlys has taken down Duriel and Meph, all at P5, and ventured into Act 4 taking down Izual. One unique (Blood Crescent) and one set (Sander's RipRap) found, but only the boots are in use. Hoping to find a 2-socket shield and a Shael to make Rhyme and have a 2-socket circlet for Lore if I find the runes. No real near death experiences yet, but Meph was a lot of running in circles. Really could use an Insight for my merc, mana disappears pretty quickly.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     60    Lwr Kurast N  0      HC            07
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     24    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01
D2R    Flan          Pick Your Poison    Ama     28    Pan Fortress  0      HC            03

Reactions: coju
Kenai started Act 3 running through the jungles, all the while full clearing them. Nothing note worthy was dropping much at all through the entire act. Kenai found a Flayer Jungle skip from the Spider forest, but being a full-clear he had to find the entrance the marsh as well. Cleared the marsh and then back into the Flayer Jungle. Kenai finally found his lost Brother Bear Koda being caged up in the flayer dungeon.Screenshot011.png
Once Kenai and Koda were reunited, it was time to push through the rest of the act and take on Mephisto. Very boring and nothing to report that was out of the ordinary. Down went Mephisto and on to Act 4. Screenshot012.png

Act 4 was much the same with nothing to interesting with the drops except a Sol rune in the Plains of Despair after killing Izzy. Screenshot013.png
Then a trip down memory lane came in the City of the Damned with the appearance of the stain glass windows. Screenshot014.png
Once that trip was done, it was time to head into the River of Flame. Forgot to get a screenshot of the Forge (just a Nef), Kenai made his way into the Chaos Sanctuary. It was going great with the first 2 seals taken out with relative ease.

Then came Infector...this didn't Kenai and Koda's way, Infector spawned on top of Kenai and Koda and they could not make it out of the pile alive and their Deeds were handed to them. Failed to screenshot that was well. So at the level of 34 Kenai and his brother Koda will RIP.

Time to scroll through the Tournament list again and find 1 that peaks my interest to re-enter with. Take care, Stay-Safe and good luck.

Rich (BB code):

D2R    Flan          Pick Your Poison    Ama     28    Pan Fortress  0      HC            03

D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34   Pan Fortress    0      HC            03

Frealaf, HC, SP, clvl 59, Bulging Biceps Barbarian, N Kurast Docks

Big bug goes ker-splat!
115.png

NM Act II has been fully cleared! ... every monster, every urn, all of it.

I started at players 7, and held that into The Palace. But then a diminishing attack rating, and the desire to get out of the desert, caused me to finish things out at players 5.

Heading into NM Act II, I was most wanting to find a Sol Rune so that I could create 'Honor' (for the merc) in an eth Dimensional Blade that I'd found in Act I. I looked. And I looked. And I popped every urn. And I shouted at every corpse. But I just couldn't find one. (So far I've only found one Sol Rune, ... it was well spent upgrading Frealaf's Bonesnap ... but jeeze, you'd think I could find another). By the Palace Cellar Level 1 I'd had enough. I gathered up an Amn Rune and six Thul Runes and cubed a Sol Rune to create:

116.png

It consumed all my Thul and Amn Runes, but I think it was worth it! Here's the readouts on the merc's before and after weapons:

Steel
Gladius
TirEl
One Hand Damage: 17 - 42
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Level: 18
Required Strength: 15
Fingerprint: 0x26e74dd
Item Level: 38
+25% Increased Attack Speed
20% Enhanced Damage
Adds 3 - 3 Damage
+50 to Attack Rating
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+2 to Mana after each Kill
+1 to Light Radius
Ethereal
2 Sockets (2 used)

Honor
Dimensional Blade
AmnElIthTirSol
One Hand Damage: 49 - 135
Durability: 11 of 11
Required Level: 27
Required Strength: 75
Required Dexterity: 50
Fingerprint: 0x1ed38dc9
+1 to All Skills
160% Enhanced Damage
+250 to Attack Rating
7% Life stolen per hit
25% Deadly Strike
+10 to Strength
Replenish Life +10
+2 to Mana after each Kill
+1 to Light Radius
Ethereal
5 Sockets (5 used)

So yeah. The minimum damage on the Honor, is greater than the maximum damage on the Steel. Nice.

So, that weapon, and dropping the players setting to players 5, made the last part of NM Act II go by pretty quickly. Oh. And I never found a Sol Rune :rolleyes: . So I suppose it was a good thing that I went ahead and cubed one when I did!

I did however find a new highest rune in the Arcane Sanctuary:
117.png
Cool. Not sure what I'll do with it (if anything) but, cool.

A more immediately useful item dropped in the Palace Cellar Level 1:
118.png

Stealskull
Casque
Defense: 227
Durability: 22 of 24
Required Level: 35
Required Strength: 59
Fingerprint: 0xe9a9d708
Item Level: 50
+10% Increased Attack Speed
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
5% Mana stolen per hit
5% Life stolen per hit
+211% Enhanced Defense
47% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Ooh! Nice mf roll. Frealaf is still using Berserk, so this beauty went onto the merc. Stealskull plus Honor, means that the merc instantly went from 0% life leech, to 12% life leech. Couple that with a level 21 Battle Orders, and the changes the developers made ... and he's now one beasty tank!

The Barb is pretty tanky too now. He found a couple defensive upgrades:

Amulet of Life Everlasting
Amulet
Required Level: 37
Fingerprint: 0xf4a4f46b
Item Level: 49
Damage Reduced by 23

This amulet dropped in one of Tal Rasha's False Tombs. It replaced a mf amulet. It seemed well worth it to slow potion use.

Demon Cowl
Great Helm
Defense: 35
Durability: 120 of 120
Required Level: 18
Required Strength: 63
Fingerprint: 0xa346d64e
10% Chance to cast level 3 Charged Bolt when struck
+10% Faster Hit Recovery
Cold Resist +22%
Lightning Resist +24%
48% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds
2 Sockets (2 used)

This dropped pretty early. After some consideration I decided that the resistances were worth losing 24 mf (compared to the three PTopaz Great Helm that I had been using). So, even using a two-hander, cold and lightning resistances are now topped off at 75 :) .

I also spent some skill points. I'd been waiting to see if I could get a good weapon or two for Frenzy ... but I could not. I couldn't find one. I couldn't gamble one. So with my attack rating getting worse and worse. I decided it couldn't be ignored any longer. I had to come to the realization that I'm not a Frenzy Barb. I'm a Berserk Barb. So even though I've already got nine points in Double Swing, I went ahead and put ten points into Berserk. The result was a confused looking skill tree tab, and quite a bit more damage and attack rating :D . The Bulging Biceps tournament rules allow for a single respec before entering Hell. So, I'll probably go ahead and use it at the end of NM to clean that skill tree up a bit. But, let's see what drops first. There's still three acts left to go!

Here's what dropped in NM Act II (full clear, at players 7, and some players 5):
(Ending with 205 mf when the Barb killed, and 252 mf when the merc killed.)

Hwanin's Justice, Bill (Sewers Level 1) <-- Good speed, but poor damage compared to Bonesnap.
Cleglaw's Pincers, Chain Gloves (Sewers Level 3)
Steelclash, Kite Shield (Rocky Waste)
The General's Tan Do Li Ga, Flail (Stony Tomb Level 1) <-- Could've been good for Frenzy, if I had Sol Rune to up it ...
Hawkmail, Scale Mail (Stony Tomb Level 1) <-- The merc used at Duriel ... and didn't die!
Sigon's Sabot, Greaves (Stony Tomb Level 2)
Howltusk, Great Helm (Dry Hills)
Death's Touch, War Sword (Halls of the Dead Level 2)
Hwanin's Refuge, Tigulated Mail (Halls of the Dead Level 3) <-- The merc is using this for now.
Tearhaunch, Greaves (Maggot Lair Level 1)
Crushflange, Mace (Maggot Lair Level 1)
Berserker's Headgear, Helm (Claw Viper Temple Level 2)
Stealskull, Casque (Palace Cellar Level 1) <-- As mentioned, it's on the merc.
Rogue's Bow, Composite Bow (Arcane Sanctuary)
Death's Touch, War Sword (Arcane Sanctuary)
Gravepalm, Sharkskin Gloves (Canyon of the Magi)
Sigon's Shelter, Gothic Plate (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Coif of Glory, Helm (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Isenhart's Case, Breast Plate (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Bladebuckle, Plated Belt (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
The Ward, Gothic Shield (Tal Rasha's False Tomb) <-- 47@, too bad I'm not going with a one-hander.
Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Duriel)

Pretty good. Nothing too game changing. But some stuff that's getting some use. At least for a while ...

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    59    N KurastDocks 0      HC            07
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress  0      HC            03
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34   Pan Fortress   0      HC            03

Up next:
It's nice not urgently needing anything (I'm looking at you Sol Rune). But, some additional attack rating would help. Even with more points into Berserk, I'm still only operating at the 70% - 80% chance to hit range. My empire for an Angelic Amulet and Ring ...

Last edited:
Nineve and Klaudia have finished with Act II. Our first new S/U find came from the Far Oasis:

Screenshot001.png

When combined with the Arctic Furs, this gives 40% MF, but I wanted to keep CBF from Death's Guard. Due to a mishap when cubing topazes, instead of putting 3 flawed topazes in a new Breast Plate, I cubed then into a normal topaz. I soon was able to gather 2 more flawed topazes, so it all worked out and gave me an armor piece with 42% MF.

The next S/U was found in the Arcane Sanctuary, and was a portent of coming doom:

Screenshot002.png

My 2nd shield. This forced me to get rid of my Brandistock. I had stockpiled over 500k in gold, so I spent it all gambling Brandistocks hoping to find a Bloodthief. I was not lucky, so I bought a superior small spear from Fara and combined it with Hsaru's Shield. I already had Hsaru's boots, so I benefitted from some additional AR and defense. From this point on, whenever I scraped together 100k gold, I spent it gambling Brandistocks.

Clearing out the false tombs, our doom became more and more certain with the next S/U find:

Screenshot003.png

Any more 1-handed S/U items, and I will be forced to play as a passivezon until I find a S/U spear/javelin. As this was only the 2nd false tomb, I felt sure that this would happen before I got to Duriel.

Screenshot004.png

The last false tomb housed Kaa, who is always fun. He's even more fun when you only have 6% lightning resist from a small charm. I just had to find a gap in his bolts and I was fine.

I managed to make it to Duriel without finding any more S/U items, so I was definitely relieved. Since Duriel's Holy Freeze will negate the benefit of CBF, I swapped my armor with Klaudia to boost my cold resistance at only a 2% MF loss. The MF would essentially be the same anyway if Klaudia got the last shot in (which she did).

Screenshot005.png

A parting gift of Cathan's Seal was definitely welcome. We are now at level 28, chilling at the docks in Kurast, hoping to find a Bloodthief before another S/U 1-hander drops. If not, at least I'm only 2 levels away from getting a Valkyrie.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    59    N KurastDocks 0      HC            07
D2R    Flan          WhatsYourPoison2004 Ama     28    Pan Fortress  0      HC            03
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     28    Kurast Docks  0      HC            02
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   34   Pan Fortress   0      HC            03

Edit: To help with keeping the table aligned when making updates, I changed the font to Courier New. This will make it super easy to keep the columns lined up without having to copy/paste over to a text editor (and thus losing all the links).

I was luckier than Vildecor and found a Sol in Act 5, so made Lore for myself. Baal has been poisoned to death at P5, but it was not for lack of trying to kill me, but dropped all useless yellows like his brother Diablo. Lister and Co were tough to get through, but got them separated so my merc was useful. Also found a pair of Frostburns, so those and the Lore help a lot with my mana issues, though still want Insight for my merc. Made it to level 40, but will probably do a little leveling before taking on NM. Will update table later.

Okay big update: I am sitting in Act 3 Hell at the low level of 74.

I thought this tournament would be a little easier to get good magical items, but nope. Can't gamble anything, because you can't upgrade, so circlets/jewelry get all the dough. The hardest part is the socket requirement, blue jewel or a sapphire. I've found few of those and the inability to use a rune has really made a good magical weapon particularly hard to find and I've had to settle. (Shael in particular for this character, would have made my entire existence easier.)

Shopping is possible and I've had some decent hits (+2MA/20ias gloves) a few +30/40ias greater talons but getting both mods is a bit to mind numbing for me to do.

I do have 2x staff of teleport to help me get where I'm at, but Act 2 I just skated by.

A screenshot of my current stats is enough to cover it:
Screenshot248.png

Screenshot245.png

Haven't had a Crown of Thieves drop in since I've switched to D2R and I found 2. One Ethereal dropped off the zombie hobos hanging outside around the red portal.

I think my plan is to get to Lower Kurast and find a runic claw rack and then use all my chipped, normal, and flawless on it to roll something possibly. Or head back to NM to gain a few levels.

I also am leaving on vacation tomorrow and I would like to finish this character before I jet so I have some risky endeavors ahead of me.

Sorry for lack of screenshots I've been pretty discombobulated when playing and it is an afterthought for some reason. (Like clicking through the Conqueror screen)

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H  0      HC            12
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     28    Kurast Docks  0      HC            02

Attachments

• Screenshot247.png
    Screenshot247.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Well, I was hoping it would at least happen in Act 5, but alas:

Screenshot249.png

Running with minimal equipment and trying to rush is never a good idea in HC, let alone Hell difficulty. I obviously should have not run when I saw the might aura but figured maybe I'd sneak through. Other than the fun I had I lost nothing at all. But alas I was on a mission and my mission was to succeed or die trying before I take off.

I'll update chart when I figure out what I am going to make next. I know I'm not going with socket restrictions as that was literally the hardest part.

Last edited:
I have some catching up to do in reading through the posts more carefully, but adding my entrant, a Pally in Morathi's 2013 Envious of Green and Gold tourney. I hope Auric will net me my seventh HC tourney character, completing one of each class for a HC Sept.

I went with the 2013 edition instead of 2018 because it allows respecs, and I planned to start as a holy frost build, with ability to respec to hammerdin if drops and the mood strike me. Auric has been a nice break from Nihl runs with my Druid, and sits at the Dock in A3 Normal with smooth sailing so far and without crippling drops :)

Auric had full chippie compliment when the first S/U dropped, eliminating MF from merc's body armor:
N A1 (Set Quilted Armor).jpg
The only other S/U drop in A1 was Cleglaw's shield, which was actually really nice for A2 with poison duration reduction. He tanked Andariel with poison potion buff and without needing a town trip.
N A1 (Andy Down).jpg
On to Act 2! The merc lost his helmet in Far Oasis when Berserker's helm dropped, followed almost immediately by Isenhart's helm to knock out Auric's MF from helm. He had only two flawed topazes at this point. Then we got a fun little drop in AT:
N A2 (Hotspur).jpg
This might end up being end game, especially if he ends up going Hammerdin, although hoping to find better MF option for N-NM stretch. Smooth sailing to the Canyon, and we went straight for Duriel in case he dropped S/U body armor and hoping to get lucky with his drop:
N A2 (Duriel Down).jpg
Nope. We then cleared Canyon, netting our first S/U jewelry, and Angelic's ring:
N A2 (Angelic Ring).jpg
Nice! The first building block of MF rig hopefully. Another Isenhart's helm dropped before we headed into the false tombs, and then Isenhart's sword dropped in one of the false tombs, which was an upgrade for faster IAS:
N A2 (Isenharts Sword).jpg
So he's had 8 S/Us drop so far, with 7 equipped. Merc still has a Volge with flawless emerald, jewel, chipped emerald, and Auric's body is 3 flawed topaz, plus a white belt. I've gambled 200k gold on skull caps since he hit 25. It was a little tedious, so I will likely hold off until he's 36 and allow him to pick chain gloves or the skull caps.

I will be focusing on my Druid during the week, but may move Auric through A3 next weekend for breaks if the mood strikes.

Rich (BB code):
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   28    Kurast Dock   0      HC            N/A
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     74    Lwr Kurast H  0      HC            12

Frealaf, HC, SP, clvl 67, Bulging Biceps Barbarian, N Harrogath

Brutish, Berserking, Bulging Biceps Barb, (and brother), Bashes, batters, and bludgeons, Baal's beleaguered brethren. Ba-boom:

119.png

120.png

NM Act III and Act IV have been fully cleared at players 7!

Progress continued to be slow but steady. Berserk continued to get additional skill points. The damage coming from an upped Bonesnap continued to be good, though Frealaf's attack rating could use some help. Frealaf continued to be operating in the 70% - 80% chance to hit range according to the character screen. Though, he did seem to be doing a bit better than that thanks to his use, and his brother's use, of Battle Cry. In the interest of improving AR, I found a couple of Angelic Rings, but the Angelic Amulet continues to elude me. However, late in NM Act III, a source of attack rating that I had not considered, presented itself to me:

121.png

When coupled with the Sigon's gloves, belt, and boots, I got a bonus of about 500 to Attack Rating! ... And I could make substitutions for the resistances that I stood to lose! ... But I couldn't make up for the 48 mf that I'd lose ... Given that that's about a quarter of my mf, I decided against making that change ... An 85% chance to hit would be great, but I'm still at the stage where I want to be finding stuff!

And find stuff I did!

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a full clear of NM Act III at players 7:
(With 205 mf when the Barb killed, and 252 mf when the merc killed.) <-- No change in gear since NM Act II

The Chieftain, Battle Axe (Spider Forest)
Bladebuckle, Plated Belt (Spider Forest)
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Great Marsh)
Ironstone, War Hammer (Swampy Pit Level 2)
Lycander's Aim, Ceremonial Bow (Flayer Jungle) <-- Wow! Too bad it wasn't Arreat's ... or that I'm not playing an Amazon
Magefist, Light Gauntlets (Flayer Jungle)
Heavenly Garb, Light Plate (Flayer Jungle)
Sigon's Sabot, Greaves (Flayer Jungle)
Naj's Circlet, Circlet (Flayer Dungeon Level 2)
Butcher's Pupil, Cleaver (Flayer Dungeon Level 3) <-- More on this later ...
Bloodthief, Brandistock (Lower Kurast)
Kinemil's Awl, Giant Sword (Ruined Temple)
Langer Briser, Arbalest (Kurast Bazaar) <-- 59 mf :cool: . Again, too bad I'm not playing a ranged character ...
Goldwrap, Heavy Belt (Forgotten Reliquary) <-- Ooh. A potenial new source of IAS.
Sigon's Visor, Great Helm (Forgotten Reliquary) <-- On standby, should AR issues get worse.
Wormskull, Bone Helm (Travinical) <-- Not bad, but Stealskull is better.
Griswold's Edge, Broad Sword (Durance of Hate Level 1)
Sigon's Wrap, Plated Belt (Durance of Hate Level 1)
Angelic Halo, Ring (Durance of Hate Level 2)
Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Durance of Hate Level 3)
The Spirit Shroud, Ghost Armor (Mephisto) <-- Cool. But the merc already has Hawkmail ...
Doomslinger, Repeating Crossbow (Mephisto)

And from Act IV:

Tancred's Crowbill, Military Pick (Outer Steppes)
Bloodletter, Gladius (Plains of Despair) <-- I would have loved this, 30 clvls ago ...
Gorefoot, Heavy Boots (Plains of Despair)
Swordback Hold, Spiked Shield (Plains of Despair)
Duskdeep, Full Helm (City of the Damned)
Hellplague, Long Sword (City of the Damned)
Angelic Halo, Ring (City of the Damned)
Tancred's Crowbill, Military Pick (City of the Damned)
Ginther's Rift, Dimensional Blade (River of Flame) <-- 107 ED, non-eth :( . I love Ginther's Rift, but this one is not ready to tackle Hell.
Darksight Helm, Basinet (Diablo) <-- Ooh. A new potential source of CBF :unsure: .
The Tannr Gorerod, Pike (Diablo)

That's a pretty good haul! The Butcher's Pupil came from the Witch Doctor Endugu and rolled 183% ED. So, that's by far the most interesting weapon I've found ... other than the Bonesnap.

I also found some new highest runes to further complicate my options:

Matching my Ko Rune from the Arcane Sanctuary:
122.png

And we have a new winner:
123.png

But wait, we have a new winner:
124.png

The Hellforge dropped an Io Rune, but I suppose I can't complain based on how NM Act III turned out :D . So, there's some interesting options there ... But before I do too much pondering, I suppose I'd better do NM Act V and see what else I can find!

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    67    N Harrogath   0      HC            09
D2L    PhineasB      Env of G&G 2013     Pally   28    Kurast Dock   0      HC            N/A
@Vildecor - You are a genius! Courier New FTW!
Grr. Now how come it doesn't appear to be Courrier New when I hit post ... Oh well. Watch out next person!

Up next:
NM Act V. One last chance for goodies before things could get messy ... I'd like mid runes please :p . An Angelic Amulet would be nice too though. Ah, what the heck, you've been doing great so far RNG. Surprise me!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High