[Simple+] Tournament of Tournaments!

I need a break from rune finding, so I think I might do the What's Your Poison tourney with a Plaguezon.

Reactions: Vildecor
Nineve the Spearzon has finished Act I.

Before entering the Den of Evil, I replaced my starter weapon with a 3os Spear, which saw me through the rest of the Act. Before finding any S/U items, I'm only limited to white/grey items, and the only thing I can use in sockets are emeralds/topazes/jewels with the green/gold artwork/facets. Eventually both my Spear and my rogue's bow were filled with emeralds, which dropped like crazy. My first S/U items were found in the Dark Wood, when I was still only sporting 1 topaz:

Screenshot010.png
Screenshot011.png

The quilted armor went to the mercenary to be able to increase both of our MF once I filled the rest of my helm/armor with topazes. Death's Guard was a great find! I was tempted to gamble gloves to find a 2nd piece of the set, but decided I'd be better off saving my gold in case one of my first 3 S/U weapons doesn't end up being a Spear, so I can try to gamble for Bloodthief.

After saving Cain, I was awarded with a ring with +2 Energy and 10 Fire Resist. Until S/U jewelry is found, Akara and Ormus rewards are usuable, so at least I was able to have some fire resist. I'll be stockpiling just about every resist charm I can find, as I'll definitely be needing them later.

The next S/U item came from the Cathedral:

Screenshot012.png

This went to the offhand. Nice to see the first S/U items I found were all TC 3 items though.

Rather than boosting Power Strike, I've been hoarding my skill points until I got Charged Strike. I want to be able to boost CS/LS and Valkyrie as soon as possible. I finally made my way down to the last level of the Catacombs and took on Andariel still on p8. She gifted me my 4th S/U item:

Screenshot013.png

Another nice find! FRW is very welcome, as is some more fire resist. I decided I want to try to stick with an Act I merc on this character. I'm currently using a Fire rogue, but may switch up to a cold one after level 30 for the Freezing Arrow. My final choice may change depending on what items drop on the way. It was nice seeing her throw out Exploding Arrows after level 12, which definitely helped versus boss packs. I shopped at Fara until she offered a 3os Brandistock and filled it with emeralds, ready to start plundering the sewers.

Rich (BB code):
Tournament of Tournaments Participation and Score Table
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location      S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------    ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  Bulging Biceps      Barb    28    Kurast Docks  0      HC            02
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     18    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains   0      SC            00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to ashes (aka Deeds)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this tournament is quite non-magically great. The blue jewels and only Sapphires hurt a bit, but lucky for me I'm going to be okay with minimal mods (hopefully).

Going to get Fade to at least 10 for resist and 10%PDR.
Weapon Block to I think 50% as well (10ish points)

Rest in Phoenix Strike, Dragon Claw, Claw Mastery, and Shadow Master with a few in synergies for PS (Thinking 5-10 in Fire/Lightning)

So far not much to note other than got an Amulet of the Bat which is helping immensely. I really wish they'd look at Cobra Strike, it just is a goofy skill to use effectively in the heat of combat, single targets a bit easier.

Claws of Thunder does really well with 5 points and I think I'll keep it that way while I ding 30.

A rare drops of gifts from Duriel, to bad all I wanted was some magical delicious stuff.

Screenshot233.png

Rich (BB code):
D2V    Forum Name    Tournament Name+YR  Class   Level Location      S&E    HC/SC         Score
----   ----------    -----------------   -----   ----- ----------    ----   -----         -----
D2R    HanShotFirst  Bulging Biceps      Barb    28    Kurast Docks  0      HC            02
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     26    Great Marsh   0      HC            02
D2R    Vildecor      SUWorshipper2018    Ama     20    Lut Gholein   0      HC            01
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Cattleya      12 Labors 2011      Ama     01    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2R    Kstil3227     BrotherBear2004     Druid   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    skoolbus      Naked 2007          Pally   01    Rogue Camp    0      HC            00
D2R    Babyhell      Overburdened 2019   Sorc    04    Cold Plains   0      SC            00

. Quickdeath’s The Twelve Labors Tournament from 2011-2012

I’ll be making 2 adjustments to the original tournament:

1. The original tournament banned RWM. While technically I won’t be using RWM, I do plan on using some of the old ladder only runewords. (I must have an Act 1 Insight merc when 2.4 lands!)
  2. I’ll be doing the Decease DeSeis Labor with an Act 1 merc. I really want to use an Act 1 merc (She can have Insight now! Er... soon!) and the thought of having to rehire a new one after using an Act 2 merc for one challenge is a bit of a showstopper for me. I get attached to my mercs. I don’t think this has a significant impact on the difficulty (at least as an Amazon with Decoy.)
Great choice Cattleya! I'll be joining the same! @D2DC join this one!

I'll be re-running areas, playing 2.4, d2r doesn't have RWM so that'll be used :D.

Great choice Cattleya! I'll be joining the same! @D2DC join this one!

I'll be re-running areas, playing 2.4, d2r doesn't have RWM so that'll be used :D.
Holy hell! That looks like quite a challenge! o_O

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     26    Great Marsh   0      HC            02
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00

@Babyhell What's the tip in keeping it all lined up? I copied the last line, lined mine up with it in notepad, then copied it over. Is that best practice? and keeping the links is noice.

Reactions: Babyhell
Rich (BB code):
D2R    coju          12 Labors 2011      Nec     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00
Oberenn (lvl 1): A1 Normal
Screenshot212.jpg
1/12 Stealth on the Moors
As the first actions of your brand new character, perform the following three actions in this order without attacking a monster:
- Find and activate the special chest in the house on Blood Moors. You may equip yourself from this chest and from any other Blood Moors’ chest or non-monster object that you find.
- Speak to Flavie and activate the Cold Plains WP.
- Sneak through the Den of Evil, and with your character’s very first blow, strike Corpsefire.

So, I guess the first task is to apparently run around the Moor, find the house with a special chest, make it to Flavie/Cold Plains WP, then make your way through the Den to Corpsfire, all without making a a single attack? FUN! :p
Not as bad as I expected it to be. Guess what? A1 Monsters are slow.. Ran around getting some chests, and was geared up with at least some plain boots, gloves, armor etc. Good thing I wasn't allowed to fight. Otherwise this boss pack was in for trouble! :LOL:
Screenshot213.jpg
Corpsefire. So it begins.
Screenshot214.jpg
Used his one TP scroll to go back to town and managed to sell enough to purchase a nice upgrade on Oberenn's starting club.
Screenshot215.jpg
Probably should have just walked out of the encampment and started off in the Moor again. Instead, Oberenn had to find a quiet corner of the Den where he could take down a couple monsters that got him up to lvl 3 for his new Deadly Scepter!
Screenshot216.jpg
That made a big difference. Used his first skill point for WW. That, paired with the Scepter made the Den and the Moor a breeze. Charsi had his second weapon improvement for sale.
Screenshot217.jpg
Stealth on the Moors: complete

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PhineasB and coju
@Babyhell What's the tip in keeping it all lined up? I copied the last line, lined mine up with it in notepad, then copied it over. Is that best practice? and keeping the links is noice.
Best practice i don't know...in fact I often just edit the post until it is correct, this it's not a Mafia game :p

Most of the work is copying a line and counting the number of characters different from one section and adapt the number of space. Then correct the final status either by updating the preview function or editing. I'm kinda lazy right...;-)

• Love
Reactions: coju
Frealaf, HC, SP, clvl 34, Bulging Biceps Barbarian, Harrogath

And the last two big demons between me and my Barbarian brother have fallen:

102.png

One went poof into a cloud of poison ...

103.png
The other died with some serious style! More on that drop later ...

Yes, Act III and Act IV have been full cleared at players 7!

There's not a whole lot to tell about the journey ... I'm still using the same gear that I had at the end of Act II (Steel Flails on the Barb, Fine Partizan on the merc, etc). In terms of skills, Natural Resistance was nice at clvl 30 ... otherwise I've just been putting points into Battle Orders. As you can see, that's starting to result in some pretty respectable life ... though mostly I was just looking for a greater duration ... needing to recast it every 35 seconds at skill level 1 just wasn't going work. So, since there's not much to say about game play, let's talk drops!

Finds:

Here's what dropped in Act III:
(With 218 mf when the merc killed, and 161 mf when the Barb killed)
So that's right, I did upgrade my equipment ... with better topazes!

Vidala's Fetlock, Light Plated Boots (Spider Forest)
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (Spider Forest)
Vidala's Snare, Amulet (Great Marsh)
Berserker's Hatchet, Double Axe (Great Marsh)
Cathan's Mesh, Chain Mail (Great Marsh)
Gorefoot, Heavy Boots (Flayer Jungle)
Cathan's Mesh, Chain Mail (Lower Kurast)
Sander's Riprap, Heavy Boots (Gambled :p )
Cathan's Seal, Ring (Sewers Level 1)
Arcanna's Sign, Amulet (Forgotten Reliquary) <-- My UT99er has a Griffon's, but not this ...
Tal Rasha's Adjudication, Amulet (Durance of Hate Level 3) <-- How crazy is that?!
Bloodthief, Brandistock (Mephisto)
Angelic Mantle, Ring Mail (Mephisto) <-- Cool! Now where's the amulet and ring!

and from Act IV:

Angelic Mantle, Ring Mail (Plains of Despair) <-- Hmm, not sure I needed two ...
Angelic Mantle, Ring Mail (Plains of Despair) <-- Well I know I don't need three :D
Bonesnap, Maul (Diablo) <-- Well that was unexpected!

Bonesnap
Maul
Two Hand Damage: 99 - 142
Durability: 59 of 60
Required Level: 24
Required Strength: 69
Fingerprint: 0x986464f
Item Level: 40
Version: Resurrected
232% Enhanced Damage
+200% Damage to Undead
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Cold Resist +30%
Fire Resist +30%

Not the best roll, but I'm thinking I'll use it ... at least for a while. My Steel Flails are getting to be a bit under powered for players 7, so I think I might try going with 1 point Berserk for a while (I already had a skill point there before the drop). I'm guessing that attack speed with Bonesnap/Berserk will be painfully slow ... but I think the damage will make up for it!

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    34    Harrogath     0      HC            04
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     00    Rogue Camp    0      SC            00

Up next:
It's the moment I've been waiting for! Time to team up with my Barbarian brother! Word is that he was captured while defending Harrogath and is being held in the hills outside of town. The tournament has an odd requirement that any previous merc that's been used needs to be disposed of (er, dismissed) upon reaching Harrogath. So, it'll be up to me to rescue my brother solo! Hmm, that Bonesnap drop could prove to have been super timely ... Also, I'll switching to the PTR. I can't wait to see how the new Act V merc plays!

So Harp committed to playing at P7 for act 1, expecting to run around the pool with andy at her tails for a while. When she reached the countess P7 seemed like an annoying move, though the countess was kind and rewarded Harp with a tal, making an early stealth that much more likely.

With a quite exceptional countess map, I decided to run her a bit, netting an eth on second run and then (in order) (tal, eth), tal, ith, eth, ral, tir, ral, nef, tal, tal, ith, tal, tir, tal, eth, eth, tal...

Enough for a stealth upgrade or two in the future.
Being a pure bowazon without Merc until act 5, I put two ral's in a hunting bow, which made exploding arrow quite enjoyable and sped up the progress of act 1. It also allowed Harp to tank Andarial while pummeling her with explosions.

Screenshot040.png

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    34    Harrogath     0      HC            04
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     22    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01

Edit: continued on to get the cube and took on radament, forgot to lower the player settings to 3 or 5 as planned, so I will have to meet Duriel at P7 :eek::LOL:

Last edited:
I'll update table later, but Achlys (goddess of poison) has reached level 13 and rescued Cain. No finds worth noting and poison javelin is still pretty effective on P5, which I've done the whole way. I accidentally made her softcore, so deleted and restarted as HC.

I did the Stealth on the Moor. Decided to go the route @Kestegs went with a bonermancer, Zwofls. I started one named "TheTwelveTales" that I started as a fishy, but remembered I was going to level teeth first...
I found a small shack, and forgot to take any other screenshots. Farah (or whoever) killed some baddies at the Cold Plains WP, so I raised a skele as it wasn't strickly against the rules. He soon died in the Den of Evil.

Played the first bit at p1, up to p5 after I got out of the den. Now, on to rescue Raven, I hear she went to the Crypt.

Attachments

• image_2022-02-15_204046.png
    image_2022-02-15_204046.png
    202.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: PhineasB and Vang
@coju Necro is a bold choice. I read all the "run around without attacking monsters" feats and was like, "ok need to be a beefy Barb/Druid."
I thought the same. Looking back at the original thread, Keggers was the first guardian. Necro's do have Dim Vision and other crowd control skills for those sections.

Frealaf, HC, SP, clvl 47, Bulging Biceps Barbarian, N Rogue Encampment

Defeating demons has never looked so good!
104.png

Frealaf has rescued his brother Folcwald and cleared Act V at players 7!

As expected, Frealaf's Steel Flails (w/Frenzy) were not stacking up well against players 7 foes in Act V. Fortunately, Diablo had supplied a solution in the form of a 232% ED Bonesnap! Alright, when you're a character that depends on weapon based damage you work with what you've got. 1 Point Berserk shall be our path forward! And it worked ... but as expected, the attack speed was slow ... painfully slow. With my only source of IAS being 10% on my rare gloves, that got me a 19 frame attack with the Bonesnap. But, the raw damage was pretty good ... and would have been much better if I could have gotten my hands on a Sol Rune and upgraded the Bonesnap :rolleyes: . Oh well. All's well that ends well. We got through Act V and got our Sol Rune from the cows.

In terms of the journey, there's not much to tell. Just lots of very slow swinging by Frealaf. Folcwald the merc (er, brother), was a bit more interesting. This was my first encounter with the new Act V merc, and I'd have to rate him a solid: 'meh'. I'll agree that granting Battle Cry to the Act V merc helps with his fantasy concept, but I'm not sure that it makes him a better companion. My swing speed was so slow that I was using Taunt, a lot, to keep foes from moving out of range in the time that it took my swing to complete. The merc tossing out Battle Cry could get in the way of that. Also, I wanted to use Life Tap at the Ancients ... the merc kept overriding it with Battle Cry. Not a big deal in Normal ... but I can see issues arising as things get harder. Perhaps I would have been more impressed if I wasn't playing a Barbarian and already could cast Battle Cry anytime I wanted ... but probably not. If having an Act V merc wasn't part of the tournament that I chose, I would have dropped him after a few minutes for a good old trusty Act II merc. I suppose the real test as to whether of not he's been improved will be if I get the chance to equip him with a decent and (previously) popular weapon like Lawbringer. I suspect that he chooses to cast Battle Cry often enough to make the ctc Decrepify moot ... but there's only one way to find out for sure ... perhaps I'll get the chance!

But for now,

Finds:

Here's the set/uniques that resulted from a players 7 full clear of Act V:
(With 198 mf when the Barb killed, and 272 mf when the merc killed.)

Sigon's Guard, Tower Shield (Bloody Foothills)
Milabrega's Diadem, Crown (Frigid Highlands)
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (Pit of Acheron)
Isenhart's Horns, Full Helm (Pit of Acheron)
Cleglaw's Tooth, Long Sword (Crystalline Passage)
Isenhart's Parry, Gothic Shield (Frozen River)
Berserker's Hatchet, Double Axe (Frozen River)
Sigon's Wrap, Plated Belt (Glacial Trail) <-- Now if I could just get the gloves and greaves ...
Stormstrike, Short Battle Bow (Nihlathak's Temple)
Tearhaunch, Greaves (Gambled) <-- I was trying for Sigon's. I got close :p .
Milabrega's Diadem, Crown (Frozen Tundra)
Angelic Sickle, Sabre (The Ancients' Way)
Lance of Yaggai, Spetum (Throne of Destruction)
Death's Touch, War Sword (Baal)
Sparking Mail, Chain Mail (Baal)

So nothing too interesting there, past the Sigon's ... I'm always game for three piece Sigon's ;) ...

The good stuff came from the cows:

105.png

Hotspur, Boots (The Secret Cow Level) <-- A TC 3 off a pop-able! Useful too!
Arcanna's Head, Skull Cap (The Cow King)
Dimoak's Hew, Bardiche (The Cow King)

But more importantly, I found a couple helpful runes! (Act V didn't result in anything higher than an Ort.)

106.png
A new highest rune!
and moments later in the same spot ...

107.png
The Sol Rune I needed to upgrade the Bonesnap!

Which I did moments later:
108.png
Woohoo! That's a lot of magic damage for one hard point :cool: . It was dropping cows in a single swing ... a single very slow swing. It's very tempting to take the Shael and socket it ... but I'm hoping to find better before Hell. And if I could get back to Frenzy that'd be great too! I have nine points in Double Swing that currently aren't doing me any good. Per tournament rules, I could respec once (before setting foot in Hell) ... but I'd rather avoid respecing if possible. Still, if NM comes to a close and this is all I've got ... but that's a long way off ... let's wait and see what happens!

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    47    N Rogue Camp  0      HC            05
D2R    D4di56lu3     Committed2015       Ama     22    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01

Up next:
Time to see what a Bonesnap War Club can do against the forces of NM. And perhaps I can find some additional IAS ...

Last edited:
Still need to update table, just a little busy. Achlys made level 17 and Andy is down without too much trouble and still P5 the whole way. Actually had really nice poison resist facing her, so it was a bit easier when my antidote potion would wear off. One more level until plague jav, but should be set before Radament.

Ira has defeated Baal and farmed herself to 50!

Act 3 and Act 4 yielded no real challenges, but this was a nasty entrance for sure.

Screenshot234.png

Everyone dropped lots of rares!
Screenshot235.png

Screenshot236.png

Diablo wins!

Screenshot237.png

Nothing really of note, got two IAS weapons and one with +1 assassin skills.

Per the tournament rules I have to either use a reward or forgo it. Decided 50 was the level to give me best chance for an everlasting circlet. I got an 11pdr. Not good enough to socket, but did get this and was rewarded with 2 sockets:

Screenshot239.png

So far so good. Nothing good to socket it with as I only have 2 blue jewels and one is +max damage. Tempted to place 2 sapphires for mana reserves though and unsocket it once I find a blue (rare hopefully) jewel.

Rich (BB code):
D2R    HanShotFirst  BulgingBiceps2020   Barb    47    N Rogue Camp  0      HC            05
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     50    Rogue Camp N  0      HC            05

Rich (BB code):
D2R    Vang          IgottheBlues2005    Asn     50    Rogue Camp N  0      HC            05
D2L    D2DC          12 Labors 2011      Dru     20    Lut Gholein   0      SC            01
Oberenn (lvl 20): A2 Normal
Screenshot234.jpg
Pretty straightforward in A1, no difficulties. Probably spent too much time gathering up every single chippie, and selling items for gambling gold. Next Labor: Kill (1) Fire Tower.
Countess battle.
Screenshot222.jpg
Very nice 1st drop. I know where that's going..
Screenshot223.jpg
Ran Countess enough times for 3x Ral. Death's Sash on the way. (the first of two)
Screenshot224.jpg
Ready to rock now!
Screenshot226.jpg
I've been doing meh-full clears, meaning I don't run back to every corner, but I make an effort to get most of the monsters. Found every WP except Jail Level 2, which apparently didn't exist.
Screenshot232.jpg
Rabies & 3x Ral weapon vs Andy.
Screenshot233.jpg

Edit: @coju @Cattleya there is no scoring in the 12 Labors Tournament. Should we just put 1/12 or whatever to indicate completed labors in that column?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High