Question 2 ...

Are you willing to do a restart to remain a fully active member of the SPF? (This covers MP/trade/t

• Yes

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • don't participate in anything other than single pass untwinked no-item exchange tournaments

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • I don't MP/trade/participate in tournaments just read stuff

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thyiad1

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
Mar 3, 2006
This isn't a "discussion" thread. I just to get a feel for the commitment from the SPF. How strongly you feel about things.

Your name won't be displayed next to your vote. You can't change your vote either. Poll will close automatically in a couple of days. Possibly sooner if it turns into a discussion and I need to sleep. :p

And before everyone loses their mind, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU TO DO A RESTART!!!!! Please grab your towel and "Don't Panic!".

EDIT by suggestion:
https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threads/points-for-consideration.960497/ - The Points for Consideration thread

Last edited:
*sobs* Won't somebody please think of the children.

I can't vote. I fall into all 4 catagories, with IF then ELSE statements. Perhaps a PM will be sent when I consider it further, but a good chance you can add +1 to all for me.

Note that I don't trade, I don't MP, but I didn't select that option. I'm not sure what "fully active member" means. I chose NO myself.

In a different place, there were "single player ladder" or SPL characters, everyone started from scratch at the same time, however with time the rich got rich again. The others kept playing, they just didn't interact.

If it means that my non restarted things cannot be discussed, shared, then I wouldn't be happy. One of the reasons, real life means I don't have the time to dedicate compared to a decade ago.

Do a restart because of what? Kind of important info. "Taint"? Taint from what specifically?

My current items are already separated from old items. They were self-found and never touched anyone else's trade pool in any way. I'd HOPED to claim tourney prizes but wasn't able to. So currently, zero interaction, zero taint. Only mods - RWM. I sure hope THAT isn't getting banned.

If my pool of items HAD been involved in trades - I'd be willing to restart mainly because I personally almost always enjoy restarting fresh in games. However, I wouldn't expect others to be happy about it. Depending on the reasons, depending on their amassed items, wouldn't expect happiness.

What I would expect would in fact be a "discussion" which you are averse to. Why is that? This is a community. Treat it badly and it will erode.

Have you read my "Points for Discussion" thread? It's there for a reason.

I started fresh with D2 in November 2016 (I played SP between 2004-2006, then Battlenet 2006-2011). I got the RWM in Feb 2017 and GoMule in April 2017.
I have never played on openBnet with any of my chars (since I know about the risks by reading here as a non forum member). Summer 2017 I decided to become member here since I was already playing according to the SPF rules and thought it would be nice to have a place where I could communicate with other players with the same honor. I only play 1.14

So, should I restart aswell?

I'm not asking anyone to restart. I actually said that in the first post. :p

I'm asking people to think about the changes they've been screaming for and consider are they important enough for them to restart if it was necessary. That's all.

I see the thread and that it is locked. No discussion possible there either.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the state of SPF in chaos, which is what your reaction seems to indicate. Again I may have honestly missed something. I did see the giant multi-page thread where people were complaining about various things and throwing out ideas, many of them IMO bad, but - so what? I don't see why it's an issue if things are discussed.

Did I read that whole thread - nope! Saw a few pages and was done with it. Why? Because seeing some of the ideas there, and the arguing, I decided it probably didn't have many good ideas to offer that I'd find interesting or that would sway me. Sorry that you have to wade through that swamp and address it. But if it was me, I'd just do it dispassionately.

I sort of agree from where you're coming from, to a point. I'd probably have a similar tack. Perhaps the problem is you're taking it personally when people want changes you don't want? And maybe you feel bad that you have to say no? I wouldn't feel bad. Things like RWM make sense as legit enhancements to SP which can be agreed upon. Things like unfortunately as-yet poor imitations of ubers don't.

They're just ideas. I wouldn't get mad at people for having them. I'd just say no to the bad ideas and move on.

Meanwhile the activity I see actually happening in SPF is legit, restrictive tournaments where no one wants extra mods or help. They want it as punishing as possible, and that's the fun of it. To me that's a big draw of the site.

@Thyiad perhaps a link in the OP for ppl unaware of the other thread

On topic; I voted Yes only because I have so little to lose.

I play untwinked and the only 'major' thing I would lose from the restart is my Amazon in the 99er thread. Sure the progression up till now would be lost; but I learned enough to know how I could do better the next time. However, this one character is such a tiny minuscule speck of progress compared to the decades of items and character that people have been building up; I can't even imagine what it would be like to be asked to dump it all. That is I think all I can say from this matter; I'd love to hear the thoughts of some of the older members who actually archived their years of play.

I fall into the following categories:
  1. TRADING: I don't trade; I play self-found - my primary goal is the Grail.
  2. MULTI-PLAYER: I have only briefly MPed with a family member (which had the exact same setup as me since I organised the installation). I briefly tested some 1.09 MP many years ago (but these characters & items were deleted and kept seperate from all other stashes).
  3. TIME TRAVELLING: I started in 1.09 so I do have some items from then (several Raven Claws) and intervening patches until the present patch 1.14d, but I also did dip my toe into time travelling to get a few more Raven Claws from 1.09, a short lived 1.07 character and an extremely short lived Classic 1.00(?) character (1.00 & 1.07 stuff isolated from all other stashes/characters).
  4. MULING SOFTWARE: I historically used ATMA and then switched to GoMule several years ago when Essences arrived.
  5. HOT-MULING: I have & do hot-mule for Gheed's Fortune.
  6. RED RUNE MOD & COLOURED RUNE MOD: I historically used both of these but stopped in 1.13.
  7. RUNE WORD MOD: Still using this from 1.10/1.11 days.
  8. MULTI-INSTANCES: I started using this in earnest around June 2017 to enchant boost my twinked characters as an alternative to Raven Claw cheese. It works from level 1 and gives gear freedom so that characters can remain on theme.
  9. OTHER SOFTWARE: I used Trenshadow's version switcher (no longer used), Bliss Version Switcher (no longer used as I've not time travelled for several months) and Singling (1.8.2 - no longer used until I solve an issue I'm having).
[HIGHLIGHT]I voted 'No':[/HIGHLIGHT]
It took me many hours distributed over more than a decade to gather my wealth and grail (I went years/months without playing during this time). I'm not willing to restart since I have neither the time nor patience to regain the wealth. I participate in untwinked tournaments and keep characters/stashes separate for those, although I use GoMule/RWM for the Tournaments.

I'm quite organised, so if there was a restart, I'd just isolate characters and not post about characters that were deemed tainted by new standards. I would just post about new characters that follow the new FAM. However, I would not want to play without:
  • GoMule
  • RWM
  • Self-MP via multi-instances

Last edited:
Voted yes, but it's easy for me since I restarted less than a year ago.

However, being this close to the grail (-4), I'd keep all of that stuff separate for myself. It's difficult to explain, but just having found all of the items at least once isn't enough, I feel like I need to have them all :D

I don't trade (too much hassle), I do not MP (I prefer to play alone) and I time travel for the experience of it (not with the deliberate intention to bring items forward). The only interaction I have with the forum is the occasional post and, on very rare occasions, join the MFO. I generally restart with every new patch I play, but under extreme circumstances I will bring an item or two item forward and then only the for low level twinking rather than end game items. Would I do a restate to remain a full member of the SPF (whatever that means!)? Yes, I would; I've done it before!!

No. I’m Grail -3, I’m assuming I wouldn’t be allowed to post my finds or play on MFOs etc if I didn’t restart. It would also kill all my hard built PvP characters. At this stage, I would probably just give up rather than start from scratch.

Agreed with @Locohead . We are all grown-ups. Discussing stuff is what those people do. Things aren't black or white. It's not a matter of 'what the community wants' vs 'mods decide all'. There is a whole spectrum in between. This community isn't in a bad state, but it could become if treated that way.

And yes I read the 'points for consideration' thread.

I haven't voted as of now because I'm not sure any option reflects my position.

That's mainly because it's not clear to me what the term "SPF" in the question is referring to. The natural conclusion would be that it refers to a "different" SPF. Because it would be kind of pointless to say "Let's restart -- and then do everything exactly the same way again so we're back here in 15 years".

But different how? Saying "Yes I would restart" means talking about a big sacrifice for most. I cannot decide whether I would make such a radical sacrifice if I don't know what it's being made for. Even if it's just a theoretical scenario. ;)

I tend to vote "No", but I'm not entirely comfortable with that either, as I don't know how that will be interpreted.
  • Does it mean "No -- but I think a couple of things could be improved"? I could fully identify with that.
  • Does it mean "No -- because I don't want to change the way I play the game"? I could fully identify with that as well, because I can absolutely play the game the way I want as of now and I'm perfectly happy with that.
  • Does it mean "No -- and let's leave everything as is because that's the best we can do"? That wouldn't reflect my personal opinions, so in that case I'm not sure there's a voting option that applies to me.
So... don't know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High