D2R General Chat

@Jpy Surely many of his observations are really "bugs" I'd strongly assume? CM piercing CIs is generally considered a bug from what I've seen. If this was intentional that would be a rather drastic gameplay change, totally not in the spirit of what Blizzard has stated in terms of "D2R = D2L" in terms of gameplay. Same applies to changing go-to skills like Blizzard or monster resistances.

What I can imagine is that "size" of the individual Blizzard shards (and other skills) behaves differently, by that I mean the technical term. As in I wouldn't be surprised if a "size 2" D2L Blizzard shard could collide with more monsters (=better AoE) than a D2R Blizzard shard because of the much higher resolution (= smaller AoE). Pure speculation ofc.

Load times are bad.. For me at least double. It's not unbearable, definitely has a slower feel doing repeated runs. I'm at NM Meph right now trying to gear up and yeah the load times are the most annoying part. My wife is playing pokemon so I usually have a maybe 5 seconds to look completely away from the screen and watch what she's doing on the TV, or take a drink of coffee. It's not so bad. I'm sticking with it for now on this character untwinked, and will likely put myself on the board in the untwinked thread. LK runs are going to be atrocious but I just like the smooth niceness of the graphics. I'm kind of getting that folks aren't hammering D2R a whole lot right now on this forum so I feel like I want to just go for it and really dig into all the differences and the feel of it.

One more thing that's annoying right now is having to exit the game completely when muling with our new bargain brand gomule. So usually I wait until my personal stash is filled up, exit the game, mule, and get back to farming. I don't want to take any risks on having items poof or any other goofy interaction there so I'm going the completely safe method.

One of the GREATEST FEATURES of this game is ctrl+click to drop items or quick move items to stash/cube. Oh my lord is it nice I love it. Took me a while to get used to it but it's so fast and so nice.

Another feature I really like is the ability to adjust each and every sound type individually. Ambient sound is so freaking loud all the time and it's like constant static in your ears. For those of you playing, try turning that off and experience the joy of not having static in your ears constantly. I also like that I can turn off just the sound and listen to the music alone, or listen to the music full blast and turn the sound softer. Not an option in the original! Really nice, one of my favorites here.

The option "Large Font Mode" changes some things in a nice way, some things in a questionable way. I like the way it is in NPC dialogue menus - they're tiny by default. One of the things I don't understand about this option is that it changes item tooltips and dropped item labels on the ground to be completely solid colored instead of translucent, and possibly makes them slightly bigger but about the same size. Regardless, like you say @jjscud there's something weird about item labels on the ground generally. They're about the same size or slightly bigger, however it seems like they don't stack quite the same. It's too big for me, I wish they were smaller. The higher resolution would make this viable for the first time but of course no change. Item label flickering is also super obnoxious. Sometimes when you're standing completely still, an item label will just be swapping places with another item label like every frame the game renders, so it's flashing super fast at you, and this can happen with multiple item labels at the same time. Very annoying to look at.

Overall I'm having an absolute blast though. It's for sure the way I'll be playing through the game on just normal whatever characters since it's so fun to look at. Increased framerate is incredible. I'm playing at 144fps and it's mindblowing. My computer fans are quite upset but if I put on headphones I don't hear it so much and they're set to keep my temps low so I'm not worried there.

Tons of fun! I'll be through the game today most likely, we'll see though, I am farming hard at NM meph, had some really juicy drops already and I might pause for quite some time at Hell meph as well. We'll see!!! Fun times!

@Jpy Surely many of his observations are really "bugs" I'd strongly assume? CM piercing CIs is generally considered a bug from what I've seen. If this was intentional that would be a rather drastic gameplay change, totally not in the spirit of what Blizzard has stated in terms of "D2R = D2L" in terms of gameplay. Same applies to changing go-to skills like Blizzard or monster resistances.

What I can imagine is that "size" of the individual Blizzard shards (and other skills) behaves differently, by that I mean the technical term. As in I wouldn't be surprised if a "size 2" D2L Blizzard shard could collide with more monsters (=better AoE) than a D2R Blizzard shard because of the much higher resolution (= smaller AoE). Pure speculation ofc.
This was my assumption with blizzard as well. Also, Firewall and mobs with Inferno (Flayer Shamans etc) it seems like the hit interval is off causing it to deal more damage than before. Moon Lord frenzy seems dramatic too lmao.

E: for what it’s worth, my Asus Zen Book with amd ryzen 5/GeForce mx350 is getting ~5s WPs and ~12s loading screen for low end reference. I considered upgrading the PCI-e nvme ssd but I’m not sure how much it would help honestly when streamers with high end setups are still at 5s+ loading screens

Last edited:
Reactions: Miron
Slowly starting to move more chars to D2R, so far moved forward CL/orb sorc for insight and LF java (cow runner) for infinity. Planning to move MS ama for faith and Forti if I have enough runes.
Keeping all the various runners in 1.14 ATM.

My gist from this thread is that D2R seems to be catering to a casual audience (nostalgic people who forgot how to enjoy the old graphics), but is absolutely horrible for speedrunners and anyone looking to do fast MF/RF runs.

Has anyone opened TreasureClassEx.txt yet and checked if Snipsnap is still bugged? Generally I'd like for someone to do a comparison of 1.14d .txts with those for 1.15 to see what was really changed.

My gist from this thread is that D2R seems to be catering to a casual audience (nostalgic people who forgot how to enjoy the old graphics), but is absolutely horrible for speedrunners and anyone looking to do fast MF/RF runs.

Has anyone opened TreasureClassEx.txt yet and checked if Snipsnap is still bugged? Generally I'd like for someone to do a comparison of 1.14d .txts with those for 1.15 to see what was really changed.
Snipsnap the Silly

Interesting observations coming out of the release and bugs. To me it like a modern 1.07 version (CM breaking CIs :rolleyes:, makes me wonder about conviction ) . Just wondering how the D2R patches are applied. I mean does the user with the PC have control over a patch being applied or is it more like an auto update process. and what does that mean for version control over all.

@teddeeboy On the PC you can choose if you want auto-updated or not. I chose not and was able to install the day 2 patch when I wanted. I didn't see any option like that on my switch.

Regardless, like you say @jjscud there's something weird about item labels on the ground generally. They're about the same size or slightly bigger, however it seems like they don't stack quite the same. It's too big for me, I wish they were smaller.

It's not just the labels, it's spreading the items out a lot more.

@ffs Here's a vid. The load times are slow but S&E is quick. I compared to my D2L on the same computer (running Nilithank) and S&E was much slower but loading was faster, even in windowed mode. Together they were about the same.

And yes, I know the map is unimpressive, I lost my better one while trying to get use to hitting enter, h. I figured I might as well since I wanted to type /players7 as soon as I entered. Since I was just going for one sample HR, I didn't care too much about a near perfect map.

@jjscud shit, my loading screens are at least twice as bad and save and exit/WPs like 3x as bad lmao

Okay so I found something out regarding load times I think. When I uncap my framerates/turn off vsync and have overall higher framerates through whatever means including turning down the resolution scale, the game loads quicker. Both new game and save & exit is faster with higher framerates. The key here is that the turning down the graphics etc won't do you any good if you have vsync enabled or your framerate capped (at least through the in-game framerate capper, haven't tested it with an outside program yet). I discovered this when I uncapped my framerate from 60 while doing mephisto runs - framerate went up to 100 or so with my graphics setting. Noticed faster load times. Then I lowered graphics settings including resolution scale and framerate shot up to 250, load times were quite fast. Then lowered framerate cap to 20, all things being the same and the load times were the slowest yet.

There seems to be some diminishing returns for me as well, the difference in load times between 144 fps and 250 fps is barely noticeable, although there absolutely is a difference in load times between the two. The difference between 60 and 144 is significant for me, and the difference between 30 and 144 is very noticeable, 3-5 seconds faster.

There are almost certainly other factors such as hardware of course but on the same piece of hardware increasing your framerate helps load times. Someone else test this for me please.

Edit: Completely uncapping your framerate might actually be better than capping it at a higher rate - I notice that with uncapped fps, at the pivotal moment when the door is fully open loading into a game where the hangup would usually be, my framerate jumps up to 400-500 very briefly before the game puts me through. It's possible that regardless of what your graphical settings are (say if they're set to high or something), it won't matter what your framerate would be while actually playing, because during these loading transitions the FPS will kick up putting you through. I'm going to do more testing.

Edit 2: The edit above appears to be the case for me. My load times are much faster even with low framerates while playing (on max settings) as long as my fps is uncapped/no vsync (at least through the game, still haven't tested with external program).

Edit 3: for a reference frame my system specs are Radeon RTX 580, playing on SSD (I imagine this is vital)

Last edited:
Omg my hero. I just tested it and it saves me 3 sec
Glad it helps!! I can say I am absolutely over the moon about it, everything is faster - transition between waypoints as well. Makes EVERYTHING feel so much better like I'm not playing underwater anymore.

The only reason I wasn't playing with uncapped frames before is because I thought my gpu was getting hot because my fans would sound like a helicopter taking off. So I checked out my temps and they were like 40-50c.. I was all like yo wtf bros. And it kept spinning up until it was getting in the 100% range regardless of temps? I'm not sure why. Anyways there's a problem with my gpu software or something that's causing my fan to spin up and stay high even when temps are low. So I installed MSI Afterburning and set my own fan speed curve and now I have low temps and a quiet fan AND faster load times.

I am just so hyped up. My meph runs are fast af.

Reactions: Pax1990 and Jpy
Personally I didn't notice any changes.

The 30GB storage of D2R scared me and I decided to install it on my HDD instead of SSD.
This may have a great effect on loading times but had I known that from the beginning I would have chosen the SSD.

omg pls install it on your ssd. it will be a difference like day and night.

For my left click throw homies, you can keep a throwing potion in inventory to set the bind

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High