Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

[HIGHLIGHT]SKILL GRANTING ITEMS:[/highlight] Staffmods/Oskills/Charges/Auras/CtC
I am planning a project similar to @T72on1 Oskill sept. So, I'm wondering what are the [highlight]best[/highlight] skill granting options out there? These would be skills belonging to their native class, but certainly low-ish level (maxing around 10-15 through +skills), and mostly without synergies. So, they would be akin to "one point wonders". For example, getting Zeal on a Paladin by using 'Passion', or Vengeance by using 'Kingslayer'. Imagine a tournament where you werent allowed to assign skillpoints, and were only allowed to use skills (through items) that are native to your class. What would still be viable/useful? Here are my analyses, please let me know what you guys think?

[HIGHLIGHT]Amazon:[/HIGHLIGHT]
There aren't many Amazon skills out there to be had, being that there are no +staffmod options. What's up with that? :rolleyes:
Every class specific item has individual skills as automods (ex. +3 to Frozen Orb), EXCEPT Amazons who get +1-3 to an entire tree. Blizzard just loves Amazons or what... Not that I'm complaining, lol. :p
I guess when you put it that way...
Jav & Spear:
  • Impale - Would rather have Jab/Fend, however I think they are not available from any item?
  • Lightning Bolt - converts physical dmg, without synergies this may be the best option?
  • Plague Javelin - combined with Venom it's not too bad
Passive: many of these would be useful even at low levels, but most are not available
  • Inner Sight/Slow Missle
  • Valkyrie
  • Critical Strike - I will check, but is crit granted from 'Insight' or 'Peace' the actual Amazon skill? and could be boosted further?
Bow & Xbow:
  • Freezing Arrow
  • Guided Arrow - low dmg skill anyway, not aiming is nice though
  • Immolation Arrow - gonna be weak w/o synergy..
  • Strafe - maybe to proc CtC effects, just remembered you can get charges of MS on gloves/bows but Strafe is probably still better

[HIGHLIGHT]Assassin:[/HIGHLIGHT]
Assassins are the other class I feel got slighted in the skill granting dept. Basically, Venom/Fade and charges of CoS are the only S/U + RW options. Are there any restrictions on +staffmod skills available?
Martial Arts:
  • DTalon - still applies CB, CtC etc
  • Cobra Strike - do you need 300% LL/ML? or can you live with 100-150%? :rolleyes:
  • Blades of Ice - just for the freeze effect
  • DFlight
Shadow Disciplines: much like Zon Passives, many of these should be useful
  • BoS/Fade/Venom
  • Cloak of Shadows/MB
  • Shadow Warrior/Master
  • Weapon Block - diminishing returns anyway
Traps:
  • Death Sentry - CE still works
  • Blade Sentry/Fury

[HIGHLIGHT]Barbarian:[/HIGHLIGHT]
Barbarians have many skills that fit the bill. But, he is going to be a bit tricky, as all except 1 of his "attack" skills come from the same tree..
Combat Skills:
  • Leap/Leap Attack
  • Bash/Stun - w/o synergy they will be weak, but usable on normal
  • WW - No synergy, and can get a quick +6 WW at lvl 30 with Bloodletter
  • Berserk - PIs
  • Double Throw - perhaps you want to proc amp with Lacerators
Masteries: basically everything is useful here..
  • Natural Resist
  • Increased Speed
Warcries: again, everything would be useful here
  • War Cry - this is the only one really handicapped w/o it's synergy, but it would still be useful as some crowd control

[HIGHLIGHT]Druid:[/HIGHLIGHT]
I think Druids have some of the most interesting options out there. Cool Uniques, charges of Spirits, and in case you're unfamiliar..
Code:
Beast
5 Socket Axes/Scepters/Hammers
Ber + Tir + Um + Mal + Lum
Level 9 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
+40% Increased Attack Speed
+240-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
20% Chance of Crushing Blow
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+3 To Werebear
+3 To Lycanthropy
Prevent Monster Heal
+25-40 To Strength (varies)
+10 To Energy
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 13 Summon Grizzly (5 Charges)
Werebear, Lycanthropy, and a decent Grizzly all on one item which doesn't even occupy the class-specific item slot. By the way, here's some free Fanaticism as well.. :rolleyes:
Elemental: these will all be hampered by a lack of synergies, but a lot of the fire skills are nice to have as CtC effects
  • Arctic Blast/Hurricane - no damage, but still has cold
  • Cyclone Armor
  • Fissure/Armageddon - will be low damage, but it's something
Shape-Shifting:
  • Werewolf/Bear - HP
  • Feral Rage/Hunger - LL + FRW
  • Shockwave - stun length
Summoning: I'd probably rate the 3x pets, then the 3x spirits, then 3x creepers

[HIGHLIGHT]Paladin:[/HIGHLIGHT]
A whopping 13x Auras when equipped are available to Paladins. But, many of those are granted by high lvl RWs, and there isn't a lot available through charges/CtC gear. So, I'm focusing more on skills that would be granted through +staffmods.
Combat Skills:
  • Zeal/Smite - even at low level would be useful to apply CB/CtC effects
  • Vengeance - PIs
  • Holy Shield - diminishing returns on blocking anyway
Defensive Auras: too bad the passive bonus to Resist Fire/Cold/Lite is only from hard points
  • Cleansing - diminishing returns on duration reduction
  • Defiance - "obtainable" with 'Exile'
  • Vigor - nice to have, available from Tearhaunch
  • Meditation - from 'Insight', perhaps on switch
  • Salvation - would need 'Phoenix', or a Scepter on switch
  • Redemption - very steep diminishing returns
Offensive Auras: NINE of these are available as Auras when equipped, but there aren't many I would choose as my primary aura having been granted through an item
  • Holy Freeze/Sanctuary - Cold/Knockback effect
  • Conviction - to break immunities

[HIGHLIGHT]Necromancer:[/HIGHLIGHT]
Basically, Necros get 2x "class-specific" items. As they can get +3 to three skills on a Wand, and +3 to three skills on a Head. Combine that with some charges items or CtC curses, and that is quite the arsenal you have at your fingertips! Also, happen to have some insane S/U options: 'White', Maelstorm, Ume's Lament, AOKL
Summoning: the skellie skills are going to be difficult to get to a decent enough level..
  • Any Golem + Golem Mastery - I've used Clay/Iron Golem through items before and it's managable
  • Revives + Skeleton Mastery - only # of monsters increases through levels, so should be effective
  • Summon Resist - diminishing returns anyway
Poison & Bone: without synergy, poison/bone attacks will be pretty weak
  • Bone Armor/Wall/Prison
  • Corpse Explosion
  • PNova - at least it would provide AoE prevent monster heal
Curses: everything is viable here, rarely do you drop more than 1 pt into a curse anyway

[HIGHLIGHT]Sorceress:[/HIGHLIGHT]
She is probably the class most reliant upon synergies. Going without could be a bit underpowered. However, she does have some nice S/U/RW options. Unfortunately many of them are on Staves instead of Orbs..
Fire Skills:
  • Warmth/Enchant - nice to have
  • Fireball - even w/o synergy it's viable early on, 'Leaf' anyone?
  • Firewall/Hydra - not too synergy dependent
  • Meteor - won't be huge damage, but can be respectable if you go Trang-oul's route
  • Mastery
Cold Skills: any of the Armor skills, just to have something
  • Frost Nova - for the AoE chill effect
  • Glacial Spike - fixed radius, that's all we need
  • Orb/Blizzard - these would be my 2 pics for viable 'attack' skills
  • Mastery
Lite Skills:
  • Telekinesis
  • Static Field
  • Teleport
  • Energy Shield
  • Nova or Tstorm + Mastery? - not sure how potent this would be..

Last edited:
I’m not sure I fully understand your plan - You are going to use oskill items on the class that already has the skill? Like Kingslayer on a Paladin?

Assassins obviously get staffmods on claws, but you can also get +3 Martial Arts on gloves and +3 Shadow Skills on helms (not just circlets)

I’m not sure I fully understand your plan - You are going to use oskill items on the class that already has the skill? Like Kingslayer on a Paladin?

Sorry. I felt like I wasnt clear enough on that.

So, yes Paladin using Vengeance from Kingslayer or Zeal from Passion. Making use of the skill but with no hard points. Which means skill level will be limited, making many skills severely underpowered. I want to figure out which skills are still the most viable (having been granted through items).

I am gonna edit in your example for clarification..

Sounds like a fun plan. Probably underpowered at times, at least to my taste. But I'm sure you can pull it off ;).

List of skills seems accurate.

Sounds like a fun plan. Probably underpowered at times, at least to my taste. But I'm sure you can pull it off ;).

Just to be clear.. I have no intention of playing characters with NO skill points. I'm planning something more in line with your sept, utilizing skills through items. I'll leave the 'no skills' characters to the InsaneWaynes of the world. :rolleyes:

Still not clear on the skill points thing, sorry :(

So can you put points in skills if you don’t put a hard point in the skill you get from the oskill? So if you used Passion for Zeal, you can’t use Vengeance but you can use Holy Shield?

Or no points at all?
How twinkled will this be?

So if you used Passion for Zeal, you can’t use Vengeance but you can use Holy Shield?
You're correct, at least in my mind. You're using the item to "gain access" to the skill (like Zeal), which would block the use of skills further down the tree (like Vengeance). If you put points into Zeal + Vengeance already, the benefit/appeal of using the item is lost.

So can you put points in skills if you don’t put a hard point in the skill you get from the oskill? Or no points at all?
The analysis should be the same either way. If you were going to play a tournament with no skill points, which skills could you get from items that would be viable?

My plan isn't so extreme though, and very very twinked. ;)

@T72on1 - FluffyFlavius made use of Fanatacism (through 'Beast'), Holy Shock ('Dream') and Holy Freeze ('Doom'). Actual skill points went into the synergies (Resist Cold/Lite) rather than the skill granted through item.

Also, from a practical standpoint of saving skill points. For example, I just finished a LF Zon and didn't bother with anything else. Just sunk all her points into LF synergies (well, 1 pt crit/penetrate/pierce). But, if I could get the actual skill Pierce from an item, that would save me 3 skill points. Likewise, I'm considering Valk or FA for her. But, if she can gain those skills through items, it would save 7 pts/3 pts respectively.

@Luhkoh Not bad. I think my favorite character, gear wise, is my Javazon. Although I am currently leveling/questing a Bowzon, that I want to be my best character (I switched my first Bowzon to Javazon, after I found Griffon's lol). I love Amazons, particularly Bowzons. I believe it stems from my favorite days of D2, back in 1.09, when Bowzons were on top of the D2 World.

Since you posted, I will use this to brag about my Javazon ;)

Here is mine, minus the obvious Raven Frost, 34% Spirit Monarch, Razortail, CTA, Spirit Monarch. I also have only found 2x Java Skillers, but one has 7% FRW
Griffon's Eye
Diadem
Defense: 242
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0xd42c1978
Item Level: 86
Version: Expansion 1.10+
100% Chance to cast level 41 Nova when you Level-Up
+1 to All Skills
+25% Faster Cast Rate
Adds 1 - 74 Lightning Damage
-22% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+17% to Lightning Skill Damage
+192 Defense
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Rainbow Facet

Enigma
Mage Plate
JahIthBer
Defense: 1009
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Level: 65
Required Strength: 55
Fingerprint: 0x21fe2b7d
Item Level: 81
+2 to All Skills
+45% Faster Run/Walk
+1 to Teleport
+769 Defense
+66 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
Increase Maximum Life 5%
Damage Reduced by 8%
+14 Life after each Kill
15% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
89% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Jah Rune
Socketed: Ith Rune
Socketed: Ber Rune

Titan's Revenge
Matriarchal Javelin
Throw Damage: 173 - 333
One Hand Damage: 153 - 281
Quantity: 140
Required Level: 55
Required Strength: 97
Required Dexterity: 141
Fingerprint: 0x96d76413
Item Level: 94
+2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
+2 to Amazon Skill Levels
+30% Faster Run/Walk
186% Enhanced Damage
Adds 25 - 50 Damage
9% Life stolen per hit
+20 to Strength
+20 to Dexterity
Increased Stack Size
Replenishes quantity
Required Level +7
Ethereal

Doom Talisman
Amulet
Required Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0xb4dda488
Item Level: 95
+5 to Minimum Damage
6% Life stolen per hit
+25 to Strength
All Resistances +12

Doom Clutches
Battle Gauntlets
Defense: 111
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Level: 48
Required Strength: 88
Fingerprint: 0xdfc8360b
Item Level: 85
+2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
+10% Increased Attack Speed
3% Mana stolen per hit
+171% Enhanced Defense
+14 to Mana
Required Level +5

Havoc Hold
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0x27488d8f
Item Level: 94
+10% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to Minimum Damage
+117 to Attack Rating
4% Mana stolen per hit
Cold Resist +25%
8% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Soul Trample
Mesh Boots
Defense: 41
Durability: 16 of 16
Required Level: 34
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0x8d8cb555
Item Level: 85
10% Chance to cast level 3 Nova when struck
+30% Faster Run/Walk
Cold Resist +32%
Fire Resist +17%
Poison Resist +39%
63% Extra Gold from Monsters
Required Level +5

So I am working on a Bowzon, as she is probably my favorite character to play in D2, stemming from the 1.09 days. She is only 58 right now, but I have two very good bows for her right now. I use Strafe probably 70-80% of the time, occasionally use Multi Arrow in very specific situations and then I have Frozen Arrow on my left click. So Strafe is definitely the speed BP and damage that matters the most.

I have 30% IAS on Cat's Eye, 45% IAS+41%ED on a 3 Jewel'd Great Helm, 20% IAS on my Twitch and 20% IAS on my Lavagout's. This brings my off weapon IAS to 115%. It should be mentioned that I will likely move to a Fortitude here very shortly, so that will end up leaving me with 95% IAS on non-weapon gear.

Here are the two rare bows that I have available to me, until I am able to make a Faith or luck out and find a Windforce, much further down the road.

The rare Matriarchal Bow, has 10%IAS as a mod on the bow, the 2x jewels in the Mat Bow, are damage and other mods. This bow has the speed factor, although it is hard to tell much of a difference while Strafing. It's even not much of a noticeable difference when using Frozen Arrow or Multi Arrow. The bow does also have +2 to Bow Skills as a bonus.

The rare Spider Bow, has 0%(Zero)IAS and has no sockets, but I have available socket quests on other characters, so I could socket it with a Shael, a damage/IAS jewel or go for more straight up damage with a jewel or Ohm Rune. This Bow shoots very fast, especially with all of my IAS gear, plus Spider Bow has around average, maybe above average, speed. But this bow does the high damage (366%ED with base mods)

Here are the pics of the bows. I hate being annoying, but I struggle with melee/bow speed charts when using the calculators, and I would like to know which bow is dishing out more DPS and if there are speed differences between them. I would REALLY appreciate some advice from some Amazon or D2 experts. My knowledge has been lost mostly from the much earlier days of D2, lol. Knowing whether I should use the Mat Bow for speed(not much more, if any), cool looks, can always upgrade the sockets and +2Skills, but less damage, or use the Spider Bow for possibly slightly slower speed, but a lot more damage and the possibility of adding even more damage or speed by using a socket quest on it. I think it will be a long time before I get a better bow than one of these, unless I go on rune farming sprees or trade for the items I need for Faith or WF.

Pics here::::
Mat Bow
View attachment 52281
Spider Bow
View attachment 52282

Thanks for anyone who looked into this and has sound advice for me!

Finished my first 1k LK runs on my UT99 challenge Sorc tonight. Haul worth mentioning rune-wise was pul, mal, mal, ist, gul, lo.

Lo was not from a super chest but a random chest on the way.

Was hoping for more useful runes for her but I’m not that tired of it yet so I’ll continue for a while longer before going back to the AT (plan was to weave in 1k batches of LK with other runs to keep from going mad). Would like to have runes for CtA and hoto (which I could cube now) before starting exp runs ideally.

Stop posting sick rare bows! I'm already too much addicted to picking up yellow stuff, it must not get worse!

@Jamie very nice. And sick rare bows. I see you got some more responses on the IFT. With regard to the javazon, you gotta get that girl some ias! :p I'm using the 35 breakpoint and liking it. But nice gear you have one her. Also sounds like you may be shifting your focus to the bowa, but if you're still interested in java skillers, I may have a couple of plain ones I could send your way.

@Luhkoh very generous of you sir! I do need more IAS. The issue is that it's kind of hard to find the spots for it. I suppose I could use a Monarch Shield and either add 2x 15IAS Jewels and try to get 2x Lightning Facets to go in it or could try for some better Java gloves with 20 IAS and use a Monarch with 1x 15IAS and 3x Facets. I don't know why I failed to pay attention to the IAS. I think always forgetting that Titan's have the 30% R/W and NOT IAS, throws me off lol. I haven't actually played a Javazon before this one, maybe ever or possibly once in early 1.10.

@krischan I always pick up rare items, whether normal, exceptional or elite, as long as they are at a point in the game where that particular item can spawn some insane mods. It's just too hard to pass up, because in my mind, the perfect items and characters are ones that have rare items that you know not a single other person has!

I have been trying to find the bow I found on B.net several years back, in Trav, but for some reason I can't find it in any of my screenshots and it saddens me. It was a GMB, 2 sockets, upper 300/low 400% ED, CTC Amplify Damage, 20 IAS, +3 Bow Skills, Black Bow. I may be off on some of those, I may have overestimated it or underestimated it in my memory. All I know, is that it was something of pure beauty and I know I will never find something like that again, unless I want to be a cheater, which I will never do. I wish I still had it, even though I only play SP anymore.

If I find the screenshot, I will throw it on here. I know I posted it before, I just can't figure out how to find it on this new forum. Maybe someone who understands how to find old pictures, will be able to find my old screenshots and find the bow.

I guess rare bows are my lucky thing. But I still check probably 70-80% of rare items, hoping for some Godly ethereal/repairing items with mad damage+mods or mad defense+mods. They are my favorite items. I even check some of the blue/magical items that have shots of spawning some crazy mods. For example, I found a +5 BO/+6 Item Find/+5 Taunt Barbarian Helm, not too long ago.

@Jamie the typical javazon build uses a 15ias jewel in griffons (hopefully with nice second mod), highlords, and 20ias on glvoes to reach 55 (but 35 works well too). Assuming you don't want to remove the facet from yours, you can do what I did and make a monarch with 1ias jewel and 3 facets (or just put however many you have in there and leave the rest blank till you find them). Then you have to tele on CTA swap and swap to kill, but I haven't found this to be annoying. Much easier to manage than on a pitzerker for example. Also note I personally wouldn't use any -5 facets on such a shield. But as for you, I think you should just slap on highlords (cat's eye would work too), and then either use gloves with 20ias, or use that jeweled shield (and then you could swap to gloves with 3 java skills and zero ias if desired). With titans, 35 is the minimum goal i would say, and 55 is very nice. Best of luck! I'm really enjoying the character.

@Luhkoh I have been very unlucky and have not landed a Highlord's up to this point, although I suppose Cat's Eye could fill that role. I have a hard time not using the beautiful rare amulet I found thought:

Doom Talisman
Amulet
Required Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0xb4dda488
Item Level: 95
+5 to Minimum Damage
6% Life stolen per hit
+25 to Strength
All Resistances +12

I have a few decent 15%IAS Jewels, none with all resists though. I have one with 28% LR, +3 Mana Per Kill, +2 MPK, 9 Max Damage and a couple decent Enhanced Damage ones. The 28LR and +3MPK or +2MPK ones would be pretty decent on a Javazon though, I believe. I have a bunch of other ones, but those are the only good ones that aren't plain or have weak secondary mods.

I like the gloves, because of the ML, +2 Java, 10% IAS and massive defensive bonus of 171% Enhanced Defense.. although I only upgraded them to exceptional due to elite STR reqs going up to 151. Although with the Titans, 25 STR rare amulet and Enigma, I have no problem hitting the 151 STR req and would have some really high defense Crusader Gauntlets. I just didn't upgrade it once more, because I thought it would kind of lower their usefulness on a lot of Javazons, because of Strength. But I guess if I keep them and are only for her, I might as well take the defense bonus. She has a healthy amount of defense.

I think that maybe taking out the Spirit Shield, which will be a little disappointing due to even slower teleport, which Zons already struggle with. But her run speed is super high and the fast teleport isn't nearly as important as on other characters. It seems using the 4os Monarch Shield is going to be the best option for my particular Javazon, if I want to throw faster. I have had awful luck with Facets as well. I have the Lightning Facet I have in my Griffon's and my only other two are a +5/-3 Lightning and a +3/-5 Fire one.

So I guess I could go with 3 of my best 15% IAS Jewels(28LR/+2MPK/+3MPK) and the +5/-3 Facet in a Monarch, allowing me to hit the 55% BP. Or I could go with the 2x 15% IAS Jewels(+2 MPK/+3MPK), the Lightning Facet and then perhaps an Um, as hitting decent resists on her is very difficult. Or I could leave one slot blank and wait around for another Lightning Facet or a really nice 15%IAS.

I also have the options of 20%IAS Gloves and the Cat's Eye or Highlord's(down the road) option, for IAS. But I really, really like the rare amulet and I am fond of the gloves, unless I could find some better ones.

The Shield seems kind of like a weird usage, slows my teleport and sort of wastes jewels. But the great part is that the combined +5MPK, from the 2x 15%IAS Jewels, I assume would diminish any need for Mana Leech, although the gloves I keep mentioning, have 3% and I have a ring on with 4%. So I'm not sure which of all of the options would be the best. Maybe since I have enough ML, saving the 15ias/MPK jewels is smarter, or getting rid of the gloves and using the MPK would be good. I know Javazons are one of the best for MPK usage. The ring is really good for me, but the gloves are lacking 10 IAS and an extra skill.

Thank you for advice. Tough decisions ahead..

Someone was complaining about lack of leech in an Ice Mat bow, but I can’t remember who.

I think if I make it in a GMB I will need too much IAS. Mana leech I can make up for with a 1.07 MPK ring maybe? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Mind you I’m not sure I will ever use it anyway.

Edit:
In the end I didn’t have a +3 4os GMB, so the decision was easy.

Last edited:
@DiabloTwoinDC For the Assassin:

main
‘Strength’ with +3 Dragon Talon
+2 Assassin claw off hand / + anything Dragon Flight

switch
2x +3 Death Sentry Claws

Treachery / Duress
Guillaume’s Face
Upped Gores
20IAS 10 Crushing Blow gloves

That way you could only put points in the Shadow tree.

is this the kind of thing you are thinking?

Edit: *You need to re-roll low quality claws with the Eld + Chippie recipe.

Last edited:
@Luhkoh I was having the same issues with search. Was a little frustrating.

D2 is killing me. I've been searching for an eth BB or CS/CB for MONTHS to make an Oath. Want to make a WW barb, Wolfbarb, or Fury Druid. I've leveled my source from 88-93 just running AT/Chaos/Cows on /p1 looking for one. I've never had luck with runes but I've found 6xPul, 3xIst, 3xOhm, 1xSur just grinding for this sword lol, so that's good. By now I'm contemplating making a Grief Zealer to run Trav.

I keep saying, "just one more run.." for hours. I assume when I eventually find my base I'll be pretty happy.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High