Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

The longer you have to wait, the better the roll on the runeword will probably be.

When I started on SP, it took ages for me to find a monarch with 0 or 4 sockets. I found ones with 1-3 sockets, ethereal, magical, rare ones and even a Stormshield before, as well as full Tal's set and and a HR or two. Once I found one, I made Spirit out of it and it got 35% FCR on the first attempt.

Ok, so here comes a real newbee Barb question. I am playing a berzerker, with like beginner items. I am just starting act 3 NM and killing monsters pretty easily. My problem is that I have to kill them one at a time. Or do I???? Is there a crowd control skill for barb that I have not thought about?

Do you want crowd control or AoE damage? Barbs have excellent crowd control skills (howl, taunt, battlecry, grim ward, warcry, stun, even leap or leap attack at high levels), but are a bit more limited in AoE damage, only Whirlwind or Warcry.

One thing that can help is to put Berzerk on right-click and hold it down...your barb will move in the direction you're pointing and attack mobs as they come into range...still a single-target attack, but at least you don't have to point and click on each target individually;)

WoRG

Ah, Nightfish!! How could I forget the Legend!! The father of not only the famous Fishymancer but also the Fishyzon and more or less everything else worth knowing about D2.

I will get right on it! But also, the idea of Berserk on RMB is good, it is annoying to have to actually click everyone...

While going through some equations, it seems that odds of me finding an etheral or 4os etheral Balrog Blade on my clvl 93 sorc are greatly diminished, especially with Magic Find gear on. It would seem that my odds of finding one are much more likely if I just create my barb and start playing - which I did. I have not yet find when my odds will be the highest, but likely starting in NM Worldstone. I think I will run on /p1 for a while and see if I can finally find one :)

With that said, I may not. In which case, I have two options (because I have not played a WW barb much less a lance barb in well over a decade!):
207% +2 Arioc's Needle
171% Eth Hone Sundan

Questions:
With Arioc's 392 damage, 50% DS (+ my CS/DS from boots/ammy) and ITD - I should hit a lot and nearly always double damage. A shael would put me at 50%IAS which hits the last breakpoint for a Hyperion Spear.
With Hone Sundan, I'd need to up it and Shael it. My damage would be just over 600 but with massive crushing blow.

Any advice, thanks ;)

@dkn I have an eth Conquest Sword that I made an Oath in, and he is down on the list of my characters at the moment, so I'm not all too attached to it. It might not be what you are looking for though:

Oath
Conquest Sword
ShaelPulMalLum
One Hand Damage: 226 - 324
Durability: 17 of 17
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 132
Required Dexterity: 102
Fingerprint: 0x751ba074
Item Level: 83
Version: Expansion 1.10+
30% Chance to cast level 20 Bone Spirit on striking
Indestructible
+50% Increased Attack Speed
311% Enhanced Damage
+75% Damage to Demons
+100 to Attack Rating against Demons
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 to Energy
+12 Magic Absorb
Level 16 Heart of Wolverine (20/20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14/14 Charges) Ethereal
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Pul Rune
Socketed: Mal Rune
Socketed: Lum Rune

I also have this eth CS Death on the same character!:

Death
Superior Colossus Sword
HelElVexOrtGul
One Hand Damage: 179 - 484
Two Hand Damage: 419 - 834
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Level: 60
Required Strength: 138
Required Dexterity: 68
Fingerprint: 0x1128cdc8
Item Level: 85
Version: Expansion 1.10+
100% Chance to cast level 44 Chain Lightning when you Die
25% Chance to cast level 18 Glacial Spike on attack
Indestructible
361% Enhanced Damage
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+50 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
7% Mana stolen per hit
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
43% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
+1 to Light Radius
Level 22 Blood Golem (15/15 Charges)
Requirements -20% Ethereal
5 Sockets (5 used)
Socketed: Hel Rune
Socketed: El Rune
Socketed: Vex Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Gul Rune

Last edited:
I did a bunch of searches and was getting kind of sketchy information.

What boots do you guys use on a Bowzon, that has a max Strafe, level 12 Multi(13 arrows), lower level Frozen Arrow on left click. Practically max pierce with Razor+Pierce. I do good damage with Fort/bow/other items, use Atma's for Amplify Damage, shoot pretty much as fast as I can and have some decent rare bows that do decent damage and speed, until I am able to get Faith, WF or maybe a better rare. I'm almost to Hell, level 63.

I am using Gore Rider's Boots on her right now, but I understand that the ranged attacks cut CB and I think maybe OW in half? I also do ~50% Critical Strike on my shots, but don't have any added Passive Skill gear yet, so it may go up. So I don't know if the Gore's add a good assistance or not to the CS and I know the math doesn't add them straight on, so it might not add a whole lot.

Outside of Gore Rider's, I hear that War Travs get used a lot. I was wondering if a switch to War Travs, which I have a ton of extras laying around, or a switch to rare boots that add to FRW and resists, as I could use resists, although I am essentially a Glass Cannon Zon.

What I would really like, would be something like what 1.07/.08 items like Imp Shanks or other really exceptional rare boots and other items could be back then. Maybe people that time travel would have something special. I'm not completely positive on how rare those boots are on Single Player, versus the super limited boots on B.net(legit ones anyway).

I guess I would like to know what is best usage at this point in the game (NM A4/lvl 63) and when I get higher level and top gear and start using her to MF and run areas... I love using Bowzons, stemming back from the 1.09 days, when they were so good and so much fun. I think i did use Imp Shanks on her back then lol.

@Jamie wow! I appreciate the offer but I'm just gonna wait it out :)

In other news, while in Act 5 Normal I tried to pick up a socketed stag bow but my inventory was full. Then my barb got stuck in this animation and I had to leave the game:
View attachment 52430

@Jamie wow! I appreciate the offer but I'm just gonna wait it out :)

In other news, while in Act 5 Normal I tried to pick up a socketed stag bow but my inventory was full. Then my barb got stuck in this animation and I had to leave the game:
View attachment 52430

I wonder if that is similar to the Paladian getting stuck while using "Charge". Hitting the weapon swap button is the fix for that one.

I wonder if that is similar to the Paladian getting stuck while using "Charge". Hitting the weapon swap button is the fix for that one.

So I tried everything - except a weapon swap lol! I click in the item and ran over to it, a monster attacking me. The weapon didn't flip up in the air or my barb didn't say he was overburdened. Just got into a shout stance and froze ha.

So, I've got a question. After a couple hundred cows/CS runs, I still haven't found a base for my oath. That's just fine. I'm looking at other fun options. I thought I understood IAS breakpoints for WW but clearly I do not. Please help me :)

I read This for understanding WW ias. Ok, got it.

I then stumbled upon a guide someone wrote for a "budget" WW barb using dual The Redeemer Mighty Sceptors and thought, "damn I might have one, but I def have two 2os Heavens Lights'". You can find his guide Here. According to his guide, adding a shael to The Redeemer adds 20%IAS which gives you 3fpa/8.33 attacks per second! Wowza!

So I then used This ias BP calculator and confirmed it says 3fpa/8.33 attacks per second for both Heavens Light and The Redeemer. At the ias BP calculator link, I click "display ias table" and then become doubly confused. The table shows that 20ias gives me "6 ticks/4.16 attacks per second" and 34ias gives me "4 ticks/6.25 attacks per second".

In summary, the first link I posted (WW ias explained) lists One Handed weapons as "Breakpoints: 15, 10, -10, -35.
Number of frames in-between hit-checks after frame 8: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4" after the 8th frame check. A Mighty Sceptor has a base weapon speed of 0, so a shael, or the 20ias included on Heavens Light, produced -20 - which doesn't even hit the last BP?

What am I missing? I've been running all these calculations for, "what's the best base speed weapon for Death, I could live with that till I find my Oath base..." and "how much extra IAS does Ariocs need, or how much extra does my 1os Tomb Reaver need?"... I thought I had it figured out until I read this guide.

Why do dual Mighty Sceptors with 20%ias do a 3fpa/8.33aps according do the referenced ias bp calculator, but the same calculators "view ias table" link appear to show something different?

Thanks to anyone who read this and wants to educate me. :)

@dkn

The fastest breakpoint for WW is 4fpa, and depending on your weapon you will need either -34, or -60 ias.

You have it correct that the way to count towards these breakpoints is to first use the base weapon speed (we usually call it weapon speed modifier, or WSM for short), and then subtract how much ias is on the weapon to end up with your final value.

Example: Mighty Scepter has a WSM of [0]. Heaven's Light has an inherent 20%ias, which results in [-20], or 6fpa WW. If you socket it with a shael, it will have [-40], or 4fpa WW.

If you are using a 1 handed weapon, or a 2 handed sword, you only need [-34] to have 4fpa WW. For all other weapons you will need [-60] to have 4fpa WW.

Bottom line: socket 1 shael into each Heaven's Light and you'll hit the 4fpa WW breakpoint.

@Jocular Thanks! I appreciate you reading through my long post and giving a detailed reply! This is what I figured and what I came up with. I assumed the guide was incorrect, but using the previously linked ias calculator, found at https://diablo3.ingame.de/diablo-2/calculatoren/angriffsgeschwindigkeit/, it shows this after I put in "Barbarian, 20%IAS Mighty Sceptor, 20%IAS Mighty Sceptor, Whirlwind":

When clicking "Show IAS Table", I get the same results you posted and what I figured after reading the WW IAS Breakpoint write-up that I posted.

The last question I would have is: The WW IAS Breakpoint write-up states that swords are always figured for one-hand IAS even if using two handed. From the aforementioned site:
Note: All swords are treated as one-handed weapons when calculating Whirlwind, whether the Barbarian has the weapon equipped in one or two handed mode. The above calculation for Grandfather therefore holds for any way the sword is held.
So I interpret this as meaning I have a bit more flexibility with swords and could still progress/Trav run with a slower IAS weapon if I can manage at least [-24] weapon IAS to hit 6fpa/4.16 attacks per second.

@Jocular Thanks! I appreciate you reading through my long post and giving a detailed reply! This is what I figured and what I came up with. I assumed the guide was incorrect, but using the previously linked ias calculator, found at https://diablo3.ingame.de/diablo-2/calculatoren/angriffsgeschwindigkeit/, it shows this after I put in "Barbarian, 20%IAS Mighty Sceptor, 20%IAS Mighty Sceptor, Whirlwind":

When clicking "Show IAS Table", I get the same results you posted and what I figured after reading the WW IAS Breakpoint write-up that I posted.

The last question I would have is: The WW IAS Breakpoint write-up states that swords are always figured for one-hand IAS even if using two handed. From the aforementioned site:

So I interpret this as meaning I have a bit more flexibility with swords and could still progress/Trav run with a slower IAS weapon if I can manage at least [-24] weapon IAS to hit 6fpa/4.16 attacks per second.

Basically I think the devs just like swords, like most of us. Whether or not you use a 2-handed sword while dual-wielding, or on its on, you only need [-34] to hit 4fpa WW when using a sword.

More clearly: if it's a sword of any kind, you only get to worry about the 1-handed WW breakpoints.

Basically I think the devs just like swords, like most of us. Whether or not you use a 2-handed sword while dual-wielding, or on its on, you only need [-34] to hit 4fpa WW when using a sword.

More clearly: if it's a sword of any kind, you only get to worry about the 1-handed WW breakpoints.

Perfect! Thanks so much :) now I can confidently plan my intermediate weapons!

Thinking about leveling an IK barb up. I’m planning on using bonesnap then the unique great maul. Before that though I was thinking about what weapons to use. I remember reading something about someone using a six socket great maul with -15% req/+msg or +%ed jewels. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I would prefer some ideas on weapons I can use fairly close to level one all the way up to 24.

Also looking for weapon recommendations for a fury Druid up to ribcracker

To start, 'Steel' in a large axe is nice, replaced by one in a Scythe when available. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

@MizzouFTW Pretty much as you wrote it. Whack stuff with a Great Maul stuffed with Hel runes / -req & damage / damage jewels. Then Steeldriver & upped Steeldriver.

Hel runes are better than -req if you are using plain ones. Also check if Jewels of Carnage (clvl18) give you more benefit than %ED Jewels.

Steeldriver also works for wolves, but is a bit slow iirc. Is Ribcracker the endgame weapon?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High