2022 Spring RFL Sign Up and Running Thread: Round 2 (Travincal)

@Jamie after doing the first group of the council open a portal and that will take you to the Kurast docks. Once at the docks the town waypoint is right there for you to either go to Act 4 or the way point for Durance level 2. I don't think that even with Enigma it makes any sense to run the second group of council members unless the waypoint is close to the level 3 enterance.

Just shy of 3 hours in and no qualifiers. I can get my zealot's time to just under a minute using Naj's puzzler IF I don't pick up anything. Unfortunately, I always look to see if something good is lying around and pick up some gold to help defry the repair costs of the puzzler. My average time is about 1minute and 20 seconds.

I think my complaing may have worked. I'm finding a rune about every 3 runs, with the highest so far being a Lum. The S&U drops have also improved on one run a found a Reaper's Toll and a Spike Thorn. I've also found a skiller.

I'm up and running with my would-be-UT99er Lightning Sorceress!

I've run two hours and scored one qualifier. I've also looted some 7.5 million gold. I've been gambling rings with the gold and scored something interesting:

210.png

Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Ring
Required Level: 58
Fingerprint: 0x1490e4ed
Item Level: 98
Version: Resurrected
+1 to All Skills
5% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+50 Maximum Stamina

I can't recall ever gambling one of these before. Perfect life leech, and it even has cool ilvl! ... oh, and it's a Grailer for this character!

I'd say I'm off to a good start!

@Excalibur How do you pull of the Durance Council runs? Do you run Trav and that in one run? Or do you find a map with a close Level 3, kill them all in there and go through the portal and leave? What is the timing like compared to a normal Trav run?

I wonder if I'd be faster at doing it that way with the portal being so convenient. I feel like I lose a lot of time getting back to A4 doing Trav Runs.

I assume TP and going to A4 is the fastest way to do Trav? Or am I dumb and should be sticking to A3? I've done all these runs and stuff, I've just never been a speed player. So I've never spent time trying to shave seconds by checking all of this stuff.
I would like to point out that I am farming Durance Council because I can't stand saving and repeating every few seconds. It bores me to death. For that reason, I haven't invested much time figuring out the best way to do it since all I want is to stay in-game as much as possible before repeating. As you can understand it's not very efficient and I don't have high hopes for this round.

My farming route usually looks like this:
  • Run the Docks with Vigor
  • Travincal (sometimes I save here and repeat)
  • Durance of hate level 2, the entrance to level 3 is nearby
  • Kill the main Councils pack (sometimes I save here and repeat)
  • Farm the rest Two Councils and Meph
  • Take the Portal to Act4
So, sometimes I only farm Travincal, sometimes both Travincal and Durance and sometimes Travincal and the half of Durance.
I always farm at Players 8 with my Zealot Paladin which takes about 40 seconds for the Travincal Councils and nearly 1:50 minutes for the whole run. Sometimes I also farm any boss pack along the way. I may switch to my Blizzard Sorceress in D2R after the first 10 hours.

P.S. I am used to D2R so much that 1.14d feels a bit strange. Definitely miss all the new hotkeys! Below is a video with 2 fully runs done at players 8.

No particular reason. I feel like my Zealot is strong enough to quickly kill them even in P8 and I always care about the experience even though at this point the Councils don't grant much. I don't have high hopes for this round anyway so it doesn't bother me delaying to finish a run!

@Excalibur Mephisto has to take a big chunk of time off though, although a ton of CB might make it a little faster. But on P8, Zealing Mephisto seems like a pretty big waste of time for this tournament. Espeicially since you don't get to count a rune he might drop towards your qualifiers. The chest behind him would be decent too if you could actually use it for qualifiers.

But I am with you on not being a speed guy and not liking to end games quickly or to miss items that might be good and the tons of gold is hard to ignore, of course.

@LouB I've been testing out my Blizzard Sorc, not actual runs going toward the thing, but just testing some builds out to see what I want to run. I'm waiting for a Jah to drop that I won't be able to count and then rage quit the Tournament, LOL. No, but serious, do you have an Enigma and just choose to Teleport with NaJ's in order to use a different armor or do you just not have an Enigma or one for that character to use for whatever reasons you may have? Because I contemplated swapping out My Zealdin's Fort for an Enigma, instead of charging into battle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found that my Blizzard Sorc, with only a Gheed's Charm, can do Trav Runs faster than my Zealdin for probably 2/3-3/4 or so of the runs. The Zealdin may be slower on more runs, but he is completely consistent, never have to use a single potion or him or my Merc ever dying.

I use Eth Reaper's+Stealshade(ED/FR Jewel)+Treachery and max FR beofre Fade on the Zealdin. I use Eth Infinity+the same Stealshade+the same Treachery and max FR before Fade on the Blizzard's Merc. The Eth Reaper's Toll and Fade+Fanaticsm, while fighting in the thick of things, means he never dies and nor do I.

I note that I was doing P3 on Blizzer and P5 on Zealdin. Most of my time is still being wasted picking up items, gold, TPing into town and having Cain ID them and then checking them... being tempted not to sell an inventory full of tons of cash lmao. But going forward I'll only accidently click a few piles of gold and only pick up a few blue items, cut down a bit on rares which I normally check almost all of them and ANY ethereal one. That should save a ton of time.

I may go right back to my Zealdin just so my runs are always easy, casual, no having to worry about damage to her or Merc or mana issues and a much less stressful run. Maybe I'll throw an Enigma on him and see if Teleporting with him will save any valuable time? Does anyone have their opinion on Fort vs Enigma when using the Zealdin? I don't think I've ever put an Enignma on my Zealdin, lol.

@Jamie No I don't have Enigma, there has always been something to make that I think is a better use of a Jah and a Ber. I'm just not into speed farming. When I usually run Travincal I just run over from the Way point, but the puzzler does save some time. Made a Faith bow and Chains of Honor and Beast with my only Jah and Bers. My zealot is using a Death War Spike and has 100% CB and 100% DS. Mephisto, Diablo and Ball don't last long even at p8.

Reactions: PhineasB
...I think is a better use of a Jah and a Ber. I'm just not into speed farming.
And there you go... Enigma doesn't really add much combat power for its cost... what it gives, is unparalleled mobility, which is WAY WAY WAY more important once (and if) you decide you ARE interested in speed farming or really efficient MFing. At that point, Enigma becomes the very best thing you can spend Jah & Ber on, no contest... (unless you ONLY play sorcs)

WoRG

Enigma can be avoided if teleport charges are being used to position merc to have fast curse proc with Reaper's. However, Enigma does offer good damage output as well, via Strength bonus and extra skills (like 100% or something). Fortitude in comparison doesn't really add much extra damage if we include the fact our extra damage is already at like 1000% after all skills being used. Adding extra % with Fortitude on that doesn't offer faster killing if we include the fact Enigma also reduces runtimes via teleport which does significant improvement if we return to act 4 even with Zealot or any character really. We talk about like 4-5 seconds total just because we have teleport to get faster there and to return to act 4.

Enigma also offers MF% which is valuable to have for Travincal.

We can work around these with scrolls of TP and something... but, how worthy is it to use teleport charges and TP scrolls just to use Fortitude instead of Enigma? That is a question to answer. Even then Enigma would win since we don't have to rebuy portals nor repair charges.

Reactions: Jamie
Oh, I didn't say that I didn't want an Engima, just that at the time when I had a Jah and a Ber an Enigma would not have helped the builds I was working on. Now if the Council plays nice that's where my next Jah will go or maybe not. I'd love a ice bow for a rogue scout, I'd like to try Famine and then there is fury for a frenzy barb.

@Excalibur LoL, Hork is a pretty damn clear advantage :p

Dual Grief whirler/horker is pretty standard...

Can't resist leaving this here... 0:38 is EXACTLY how travbarb feels to me :D

WoRG

• Haha
Reactions: Excalibur
WW barb from before

He is in theory as good as sorc who doesn't have godly map, but is slightly weaker than sorc who does have godly map. I'm currently doing sub 17 p5 running with sorc, aka ~15.6 s p3 running. Best I can do with barb on long periods is ~28 seconds which is like ~17.3s p3 running for sorc. By that math sorc is ~10% better and has no clutter problems, barb does have some. But, we can conclude they are comparable, especially when picking more things.

So, yeah, they are more or less equal unless we really go into best of the best territory. For some players barb may be slightly better than sorc until they roll great map.

Reactions: Excalibur
Sorc also suffers a lot from the loading times in D2R. Her efficiency comes from pure speed and the ability to run almost twice as fast as Barb. But that also means the horrible loading /menu times in D2R hit her twice as hard. Plus gold auto pickup helps a lot with Barbs’ cluttering issues. So I’d go Barb in D2R, Sorc in D2L.

@Gripphon Wouldn't Teleporting to Council and then TPing to town, going to A4, be faster than teleporting back to the WP in Trav? I legitimately don't know the answer, it just seems faster. Also the convenience of landing next to Cain incase you have a few things you want ID'd real quick.

Forgot I had one more question lol:

When I am full of gold, can I pause the timer while gambling and not doing runs in side games? Or does gambling, even if I don't do a single run in that game and only made the game during a pause in runs to gamble, count towards the time?

Last edited:
@Jamie
It isn't really faster from what I can tell, maybe small part of a second, plus saving time is longer by going from town to town.

With gambling... you could simply start a new run which isn't a part of running, gamble all, save/exit and then proceed running. That way there is no point counting gambling into running time.

Reactions: Jamie
I don't see many posts on runes found. 6 hours in and 265 runs. No qualifies and fewer good S&U items. I've been keeping track of total runes dropped per run and for my first 200 runs it was averaging a rune for just slightly more than 3 runs. For runs 201-265 it has dropped to a run everey 4 1/3 runs.

I don't see many posts on runes found.

I can fix that!

I just hit 10 hours of running with my would-be-UT99er Lightning Sorceress (D2R).

I had five qualifiers at 5 hours and 57 minutes, and have been working on improvements ever since! I'm now at nine qualifiers ... some improvements ... some not ...

So, Travincal is going much better than Cows, which is what I expected. LK has long been my go-to-place for runes (give it time, it always works). Travincal has been my second choice, mostly standing out for its Hail Mary chance for the higher high runes (Jah, Cham). Anywhere else, I just spend too much time picking up stuff ... I'm not at all efficient.

If I'm going to get any points in this thing, it's now or never!

Past runes, there hasn't been a whole lot to get excited about.

Here's my favorite charms (from a Lightning Sorceress perspective):

Garnet Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x935fe7ea
Item Level: 85
+19 to Life
Fire Resist +9%

Garnet Small Charm of Good Luck
Small Charm
Required Level: 33
Fingerprint: 0xbad2e77d
Fire Resist +8%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Snake's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xae4c7e50
+18 to Life
+10 to Mana

And since I feel the need for a screenshot,

211.png

Blood Raven's Charge
Matriarchal Bow
Two Hand Damage: 65 - 154
Durability: 29 of 48
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 87
Required Dexterity: 187
Fingerprint: 0xafb8f70f
+4 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts
228% Enhanced Damage
227% Bonus to Attack Rating
Level 5 Revive (17/30 Charges)

Pretty good rolls on the stuff that seems most important :D . Now I just need to get around to making an Amazon to actually use it ...

*Sigh.* So many D2 ideas, only so much time ...

10 hours left to go in Travincal!

No qualifiers yet after 3.5 hours of trav.

In addition to stashing away jewels and other loot, I'm transferring the gold I'm picking up into GoMule's bank as well. By the time I'm done running trav, I estimate that GoMule will have enough coins banked to fill the maximum 2,500,000 gold in a character's empty stash at least half a dozen times. That's when I'll probably indulge in at least six back-to-back gambling sessions.

Reactions: PhineasB
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High