1.08 News, Info and Gossip

I have a whole heap of 1.07 armors that rolled max-1, but NONE that rolled max... I haven't racked/collected nearly enough armors in 1.08 to make any meaningful observations, but @ziambe is obviously racking Archon Plates in 1.08 and observing the same thing...
I also racked 1.08 Dusk Shrouds, Balrog Skins and Boneweaves but all were max-1...

@art_vandelay I'm running Trav for round 2 of RFL in 1.08, and I've noticed that the council occasionally drop higher TC items than they could in 1.07 (or maybe the items have a lower TC in 1.08...) Can you confirm if there were any changes to their TC? Also, charm and jewel affixes were changed a lot in 1.08, any chance you could provide an affix list for them like you did for 1.07?

edit: I'm definitely getting stuff from TC66&69... they capped at TC63 in 1.07

WoRG

Last edited:
Just a quick note that ATMA still errors on 'Freezes Target' items in 1.08, but doesn't crash and corrupt characters like it did in 1.07... I'm still keeping such items on a mule instead.

Axe of Fechmar and Iceblink confirmed, haven't seen Bing Sz Wang yet, but will update when I do...

WoRG

@art_vandelay I'm running Trav for round 2 of RFL in 1.08, and I've noticed that the council occasionally drop higher TC items than they could in 1.07 (or maybe the items have a lower TC in 1.08...) Can you confirm if there were any changes to their TC? Also, charm and jewel affixes were changed a lot in 1.08, any chance you could provide an affix list for them like you did for 1.07?

edit: I'm definitely getting stuff from TC66&69... they capped at TC63 in 1.07

WoRG
Council in 1.08 can drop from "Act 4 (H) Equip A" which is different from its 1.07 iteration in that it should drop up to weap78 and armo78. They changed the system dramatically, so now you don't have the same graph I showed you for 1.07 (the one with the "fins") but rather something that looks more like the distribution nowadays.

As for what is in each TC I don't know, would have to compare qlvls of every item in 1.07 and 1.08 to see if there is a difference. I attached the 1.08 armor and weapons .txt so you can compare with your drops.

As for the affix list it was a lot of work to filter all the affixes for each item type and as you may have already noticed the lists were only partially correct. For example in the "Pelt" tab you have a barbarian skill affix which technically can spawn on helms. But there is also a column saying that it is specific to barbarians, so the game will not let it spawn on Pelts, even though the item types match. So if you use these lists always make sure to remove affixes from the list that can not spawn on a class-specific item. (assuming you are looking at such an item)

I don't feel like filtering right now, but I attached the affix lists for 1.08 so you can at least browse a bit.

Attachments

• armor.txt
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
  • weapons.txt
    127.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MagicPrefix.txt
    55.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MagicSuffix.txt
    62.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: WoRG
Thanks for the affix lists... confirmed my impression that large charms really are mostly poo after 1.07 :(

Not sure if its been mentioned, but 1.08's stacking bug affects cubed resistance rings too... if you roll a resist prefix that matches the element of the formula, the affix will overwrite the automod instead of stacking, so no 66% single element resist rings in 1.08 :(

Observed this quite a bit while running Trav for round 2 of RFL... I grabbed all flawless gems to cube up and all lesser rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and topazes to roll rings (I often used flawless topazes for that too, I don't need perfect Topazes for crafting, MF isn't terribly useful in 1.08, pgem rerolling sucks, and the lightning formula uses 2 topazes), so I rolled a lot of rings... enough that I got 4 Cathan's & 1 Angelic's (the ratio of Cathan's to Angelic's seems screwy in 1.08... it should be 7/3, but it was more like 10/1 while I was checking... I eventually stopped picking up green rings, tho, it gets monotonous :p)...

I also cubed a unique ring, and had the great good fortune to get a Stone of Jordan!!! This is far more likely in 1.08 than in 1.07, but is still a real *Lightning Bolt from the blue* result!!! It even got a good roll (30%) from the lightning formula, so it's a really awesome ring! (It did make me wonder what would happen if one cubed a Raven Froat with the coldrez formula, would the cold resist stack?)

I also wonder about prismatic amulets... would an individual resist affix overwrite or stack with the automod resist? would a rez@ affix overwrite or stack? I need my pgems (at least amethyst/emerald/ruby/sapphire) for crafting, and don't really wanna spare any for checking this out... :unsure:

WoRG

Reactions: ziambe
would happen if one cubed a Raven Froat
My guess: Engaging in such sorcery will open a portal to another dimension. Be careful and better ask @zemaj for advice. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: WoRG
@WoRG how was monster immunities in the Drifter Cavern? I "kind of" want to try out some item hunting in 1.08 and wondering how other builds kill time might be able to beat items-per-minute from barb horking. Was there many physical immunes at all?

Does multishot zon work similarly effective as in 1.07 with cb on every arrow and 100% effectiveness in hell? If not, how about strafe or LF? Would a 2 or 3 tree sorc be viable in drifter cavern without lower resist charges do you think?

Do monsters hit as hard in 1.08 as they do in 1.07? I can go from full bulb to almost dead in one or two hits with fan+amp damage on my 1.07 trav barb at p1.

I'll look through the thread a bit more later, just wanted to get some targeted questions posted before I start trying to read up on general understanding for the patch and how it works.

Nothing in 1.08 Glacial Trail, Drifter Cavern, Ancient's Way, or Icy Cellar is innately Physical Immune... (I was really worried when I first checked them out and saw lots of Mauler types (which are PI in the Bloody Foothills & Frigid Highlands), but it turns out Death Slashers and Death Brigadiers (the Mauler types in these areas) are CI, instead)... The occasional Boss or Ghostly Champ was PI, but zerk fixed that...

I didn't pay as much attention to elemental immunities, but I just did a few runs to get a quick list for ya:
Code:
Glacial Trail
   Frozen Terror - CI
   Death Slasher - CI
   Abominable - CI
   Reanimated Horde - CI
Drifter Cavern
   Frozen Scourge - CI
   Snow Drifter(Yeti) - CI
   Vile Temptress - PoiI
   Stygian Harlot - LI
Ancients Way
   Frozen Scourge - CI
   Death Slasher - CI
   Moon Lord(Frenzytaur)- FI
   Succubus - FI
Icy Cellar
   Frozen Abyss(Yeti)- CI
   Prowling Dead - CI
   Death Brigadier - CI
   Stygian Harlot - LI
   Frozen Creeper(Snapchip) - CI

Haven't tried a zon yet in 1.08, I suspect that Multishot works the same as in 1.07, but Crushing Blow does NOT: ½ effectiveness on missiles and it IS affected by Physical Resistance :( The jav damage was removed from Lightning Fury, but it shouldn't glitch the graphics as bad as 1.07

A Fire/Light sorc could certainly work... but Lower Resist charges won't break immunity in 1.08 (nor will conviction or Cold Mastery) so a cold sorc is pretty much a no-go. Magic Resistant bosses will be a pain, though (it adds 75% resist all, rather than 40% like modern), and LR charges would help by lowering their resistance to whichever element they aren't immune to...

Monsters can still hit very hard with the right mods + Amp/Auras, but it seems to happen less than in 1.07... On the other hand, my Barb kills stuff faster than 1.07... not sure if that's because he now hits with both weapons while whirling, or just because of the base damage increase most elite weapons get compared to 1.07, but its noticeable and he takes less damage because they die faster :D

WoRG

Thanks this is really good info. All I had to go by in my bookmarks was Amazon Basin which is 1.10+ and apparently a lot of resists and monster placements have changed.

Were you running all 4 of these areas in RFL? I just yesterday started a new sword guy that I want to take up through time starting in 1.00 so I guess I have a bit of time before I will be using this information after all.

Based on what you have said about CB and monster res (+75% on resist magic wow) whirly barb really does seem the best way to go.

@WoRG good tip regarding cold mastery and immunities. what do you think would be the best route for a sorc to farm meph?

Hi - Is there a repository for 1.08 builds? I saw the Firewall/Nova build from the 1st post and was hoping to find some others. Aslo with regards to the Sorc, is Frozen Orb a good skill from 1.08? Thanks!

What are your goals? 1.08 is not great for actually playing the game...depending on what you hope to achieve, you might be better off playing 1.07 and forwarding any necessary characters to 1.08

What are your goals? 1.08 is not great for actually playing the game...depending on what you hope to achieve, you might be better off playing 1.07 and forwarding any necessary characters to 1.08
Mostly item collecting. It seems like runes and runewords are very difficult in both 1.07/1.08 and also not a lot of active runewords to use. I'm interested in crafting and rares. It also looks like MF'ing for Sets/Uniques is a bit broken, with some items impossible to drop in 1.07. Although it also looks like even if they can drop in 1.08, they would be incredibly rare. If there isn't too much of a difference regarding the items, I could use 1.07 instead and try out rack running.

I've never been a huge fan of firewall and was hoping to find some other builds for the sorc. If it looks like 1.07 is the way to go here, I'd be interested in some possible 1.07 builds for the sorc or any other class.

Thanks for your help!

Mostly item collecting. It seems like runes and runewords are very difficult in both 1.07/1.08 and also not a lot of active runewords to use. I'm interested in crafting and rares. It also looks like MF'ing for Sets/Uniques is a bit broken, with some items impossible to drop in 1.07. Although it also looks like even if they can drop in 1.08, they would be incredibly rare. If there isn't too much of a difference regarding the items, I could use 1.07 instead and try out rack running.

I've never been a huge fan of firewall and was hoping to find some other builds for the sorc. If it looks like 1.07 is the way to go here, I'd be interested in some possible 1.07 builds for the sorc or any other class.

Thanks for your help!
So much to discuss here, i dont really know where to begin >.<

• There are only 4 items which cant be found in 1.07 but can be found in 1.08 (m'avina's bow, eaglehorn, windforce and stormspire)
  • Magic find is broken in both 1.07 and 1.08 but both patches have ways to 'take advantage' or 'deal with' it
  • 'Item finding' is therefore nothing like the current patches (1.14d and d2r)
  • Most* character skills work poorly in 1.07 and even worse in 1.08
  • Skills that work ok or even well often have a condition:
    • Lightning Fury (and any missile) - applies crushing blow at 100% effectiveness
    • Whirlwind - uses only mainhand but ctc effects work (amp!!) and some stats on offhand such as DtD% do apply - requires pretty good crafts to be effective
    • Static field - takes monsters to 1% even on hell. Basically all sorc builds are a combination of static + X skill to actually kill. Unfortunately most of the options for X skill are bad or bugged
    • Cold mastery - ignores immunities!
  • Rack running has its advantages and disadvantages in both patches
  • Rack running remains however a very significant time investment in either patch
  • Charms are generally much better in 1.07 except for movement speed charms (which are better in 1.08)
  • Crafting has its advantages and disadvantages in both patches
  • Larzuk socketing is much better in 1.07 because magic items can get up to 4 (yes 4) sockets if allowed and crafted items 3 (yes 3)
  • Unique and set item stats are 99% identical in both patches and when there is a difference, the 1.07 version is usually better (1.07 wizardspike for example)
  • The stats of unique items are mostly much worse than their 1.09 or 1.10+ versions except for about 10-20 notable exceptions
  • In both patches, rare items are worse than in current patches (except rare jewels in 1.08 are the all-time best)
  • Runewords are absolute garbage in both patches and a waste of runes
  • Superchests and hellforge are the only reliable ways to get runes above Lum and because of this high rune-farming (Pul+) is not a very fruitful activity
Let me know if/where you need further clarification :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rush
Wow! Thank you for the detailed response Ziambe! I started reviewing the 1.07 thread, and found it contains a TON of information in it. As you mentioned, static plus another skill seems to work well, so I think I will try Static, Frozen Orb and Cold Mastery. I think my first steps will be to level a Sorceress and then I can look into MF, Racking, and Crafting.

Has cold mastery always reduced cold resistances? I thought at an early enough patch it did something else.

Thanks again for giving me some things to look into further!

Has cold mastery always reduced cold resistances? I thought at an early enough patch it did something else.
I dont remember which patch (could very well be 1.07), but there was a point that it worked multiplicatively instead of just +/-.

So if a monster had 90% cold res and your cold mastery read that it reduces enemy resistances by 50%, the monster's resistance would end up at 45% instead of 40%

Beyond that, its always been about enemy cold resistance

Am I understanding correctly that in 1.07 a whirlwind barb's off hand DtD% (this is damage to demons?) gets applied to the attack of the main weapon? So I could get 4os Celestial weapon of Amplify Damage and put 4 pul runes in it to get 500%+ damage to demons?

And this stays true in 1.08?

Am I understanding correctly that in 1.07 a whirlwind barb's off hand DtD% (this is damage to demons?) gets applied to the attack of the main weapon? So I could get 4os Celestial weapon of Amplify Damage and put 4 pul runes in it to get 500%+ damage to demons?
Exactly! Ideally no +pala skills because that will just increase repairs. Currently ive shopped a 250 dtd with amp but always hoping for better!

Only works in 1.07 though

Reactions: jimsfriend
I've tested the Damage to Demons on off hand multiple times and it doesn't work.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High