1.08 News, Info and Gossip

Assuming we don't actively play 1.08 and use it only to craft stuff, how does crafting ilvl formula impact affixes available on amulets? iirc they cannot spawn +2 to class skill but can +2 to skill tab. Am I misremembering and is it worthwhile to try and forward 1.07 crafting mats to 1.08 to take a shot at those amulets?

EDIT: Also how many crafting amulets did you do to get such crazy results?

Last edited:
I've probably asked and had answered this here before, but in 1.08 is rune ilvl used in crafting? I have some 1.07 Tal runes that I might be interested in forwarding "some day", and also might try to play a bit in 1.08 myself either at trav or pindle or drifter cavern.
Yes it is. You will need "fresh runes" if you want +2 on your amulets.

Assuming we don't actively play 1.08 and use it only to craft stuff, how does crafting ilvl formula impact affixes available on amulets? iirc they cannot spawn +2 to class skill but can +2 to skill tab. Am I misremembering and is it worthwhile to try and forward 1.07 crafting mats to 1.08 to take a shot at those amulets?
Rares in 1.07 can not get +2 class skills but crafts can (because they draw from the magic affix pool), however all rares and crafts in 1.08 can get +2 class skills. Thus you need ilvl 90+ crafts to get 2/25 amulets from crafting, i.e. fresh runes.

As to forwarding:
  1. Jewels are needed in 1.07 and they are twice as likely to drop in 1.08 (okay, only 1,9 times as likely...)
  2. Perfect Amethysts are cubed faster in LK than you find Tal runes. You only need to forward them if you plan on farming Qual-Kehk runes.
  3. Amulets are no problem.
  4. Tal runes become "stale" upon forwarding, so that won't work.
If you really want to avoid playing 1.08 (which is just LK anyway) you can farm Qual-Kehk runes, which get as ilvl the clvl of the one getting the quest. In order to get ilvl 90 or higher on your craft you will not be able to use low level rushees, you will need clvl 42 (2xAncients) or clvl 52 (3xAncients). The clvl needed on the rusher who crafts in the same game the runes are obtained must be high enough as well.

Note that using the trade window to transfer runes wipes the ilvl and so does completing and act and going to the next. (and of course leaving the game wipes it too)

EDIT: Obligatory plug for the crafting guide:

@WoRG So did I understood it right, you have a route to level up for example one Normal difficulty Barb Merc? I mean faster than 7 weeks?

m4ke

@m4ke Unfortunately, no, I don't know of any way to quickly level up a 1.08 merc... I was just exploring why it takes so long, and it turns out that 1.08 not only massively raised the XP reqs for mercs to level, but ALSO clamps down HARD on how much xp they get...

At level67(both), a 1.07 rogue merc needed less than ¼ of the xp a 1.08 barb merc needed to level, AND was getting 48 times the xp/kill in hell WSK!!! :eek:

BTW, I noticed no one ever answered your question about the defense of a Gloom you made in a 1.07 eth archon plate... you got 248%Edef from the RW, +50%Edef from the eth bonus for 298%Edef... 1.07/1.08 eth armors always have max base defense+1, so [525 * 3.98 = 2089.5] = 2089 defense (lol, I got your answer in just under a year later...)

@frozzzen Art already answered mostly, but I will add: You do want a high level crafter, easy enough to get 99 in 1.07 and forward them... You DON'T need to try to get Lums for greater crafts, not for caster, Tals for lesser is sufficient... the FCR on both is 1-15, so all the greater craft gives you is 7-21% mana regen instead of 4-12%, and +15-25 mana instead of +10-20 (and if you happen to roll a +mana affix, it will OVERWRITE and not stack with the automod mana anyway...this behavior is unique to 1.08 crafting, and was probably the result of the dev's ham-handed attempt to quick-fix the stacking and overflow bugs in 1.07 crafting/cubing)

So Tals from Qual-Kehk work great if you already HF rush in 1.07 (I do, a lot)... just add rescuing the barbs and ancients to the runs (and don't talk to Qual-Kehk with the rushees until you're ready to collect the runes)... If your crafter is lvl99, 2xAncients (clvl42) will give ilvl92 crafts, 3xAncients (clvl52) will produce ilvl99 crafts... both are high enough to get +2 skills

If you don't HF rush, then, as @art_vandelay suggested, running 1.08 hell LK can provide Tals, jewels, and gems at a decent rate, plus racking is just like 1.07 but with better odds of dropping unique (and 1.08 eth weapons are still GG), and you'll probably also find some decent 5%frw SCs, too, so well worth it (IMO)

I've crafted ~70 caster amulets so far, I'll post all the details in the crafting thread Art linked to above soon, but I'd like to get to 100 first (gotta do some more 1.07 HF rushing...)

WoRG

Oops, just saw I made a huge mistake in my post above: You want ilvl 91 on the craft to guarantee 4 affixes. Just level 90 will have a very low chance of four affixes instead. Sorry for that mistake.

doesn't the Quahkek bug work anymore in 1.08?

in 1.07 you could do this:

make game with random char who has the quest still unfinished.
join game with char who has it finished (called x)

"do" the quest with x, then visit quahkek, you get runes

do this as many times you want

If your guy is already 99, is there any reason for that guy to not be a barb who can do Hell Trav with hork for better efficiency than LK? There's no players command in 1.08 right? So council should produce a lot more consumables and charms than LK.

doesn't the Quahkek bug work anymore in 1.08?

in 1.07 you could do this:

make game with random char who has the quest still unfinished.
join game with char who has it finished (called x)

"do" the quest with x, then visit quahkek, you get runes

do this as many times you want
I doubt this would be tolerated here ;)

But even if it were, the bottleneck would then just change to jewels or gems.

If your guy is already 99, is there any reason for that guy to not be a barb who can do Hell Trav with hork for better efficiency than LK? There's no players command in 1.08 right? So council should produce a lot more consumables and charms than LK.
That should work, although I am not sure how WW works in 1.08 and how to optimize such a barb. But I recall you ran 1.08 Meph with a WW barb, so you probably have a better idea of it than me.

In LK there are 134 Tal runes over all 65534 patterns, so assuming they each occur alone that means about a 1 in 82 chance for a Tal per 6 chests, which is not exactly motivating. The chances for council should not be much better.

In any case LK has the advantage of 2 Mal, 2 Ist and 2 Ohm patterns and I doubt you get such a good chance for these particular runes in travincal.

EDIT: No players command in 1.08, yes.

I doubt this would be tolerated here ;)

But even if it were, the bottleneck would then just change to jewels or gems.

That should work, although I am not sure how WW works in 1.08 and how to optimize such a barb. But I recall you ran 1.08 Meph with a WW barb, so you probably have a better idea of it than me.

In LK there are 134 Tal runes over all 65534 patterns, so assuming they each occur alone that means about a 1 in 82 chance for a Tal per 6 chests, which is not exactly motivating. The chances for council should not be much better.

In any case LK has the advantage of 2 Mal, 2 Ist and 2 Ohm patterns and I doubt you get such a good chance for these particular runes in travincal.

EDIT: No players command in 1.08, yes.
I asked about it and @maxicek said iirc it is allowed, but useless in 1.07.

If it works in 1.08 that would be great.

So if Rusher gets reward too in 1.08 is it FAM to use those Tal's?

m4ke

Well I disagree. You Don't collect those runes with anybody except your Rusher!
I mean that you do lots of HF rushes and collect the runes in normal(useless) and in NM.
Is it FAM?

m4ke

Not really... the highest lvl & number of charges on several charge suffixes is >92, but that's about it... (nice to get 27 charges of Teleport instead of 24, though)

@d2lover I'm not sure if the Qual-Kehk bug is present in 1.08 or not... I rush characters in 1.07, and I rescue the barbs along the way (they won't get quest completion and the reward runes until they talk to Q-K, but that's all they have to do, even after you forward them). It's much faster that way, and provides plenty of runes for crafting.

@jimsfriend I haven't tried a WW barb in 1.08 yet... I know in 1.08 he's actually supposed to hit with both weapons, do you recall if CtC works while whirling like in 1.07?

WoRG

Reactions: d2lover
Not sure if this is discussed anywhere already, but I wonder if there is a n-1 bug (similar to 1.00) in 1.08 which prevents base items from rolling their max armor?

I loaded the stats from Atma V's 1.08 armor.txt and it says that an Archon Plate should get 524 but I have a heap of anecdotal evidence that suggests 523 is the max :D

1646686824916.png

Not sure if this is discussed anywhere already, but I wonder if there is a n-1 bug (similar to 1.00) in 1.08 which prevents base items from rolling their max armor?

I loaded the stats from Atma V's 1.08 armor.txt and it says that an Archon Plate should get 524 but I have a heap of anecdotal evidence that suggests 523 is the max :D

just look at superior and calc it out

Doesn't work that way... if armor has +%Edef from any source (affix, superior mod, 1.07/1.08 eth bonus) it gets max+1 base defense, skipping the random min - max defense roll (confirmed this looking through my 1.08 stashes)

I also failed to find any max def elite armors in my 1.08 stashes, though admittedly I haven't done that much armor racking in 1.08 (I've been much more interested in weapon racks, particularly elite claws, as they have proper durability and can get 3sox in 1.08)...

Much more telling, I also don't have any max def elite armors in 1.07 (without +%Edef)... and I have racked heaps in 1.07!! After all, it doesn't seem likely that they would introduce a n-1 bug in 1.08, but if it was still there on armor defense rolls in 1.07...

WoRG

Reactions: ziambe
(1.07)

Superior Balrog Skin
Defense: 595
Durability: 26 of 35
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 69
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0xb66d650
+15% Enhanced Defense
Increase Maximum Durability 15%

if there was a n-1 bug, 15% def would be impossible

We're NOT saying that there is a general n-1 bug (like in Classic), but rather a VERY specific holdover of it that ONLY affects the random defense roll on armors WITHOUT +%EDef (because +%EDef skips the random roll and makes base Defense = Max+1... that Balrog Skin you posted shows this: 517 * 1.15 = 594.55, 518 * 1.15 =595.7 [remember D2 rounds to zero])

Also, this doesn't seem to affect set or unique items... they CAN roll max Defense. But white or blue armors (without +%EDef) never seem to get max defense...

If you want to prove this wrong (please do, I'd LOVE to be wrong here...), then you need to show us a white or blue armor (without +%EDef) that got the max roll on defense: Dusk 467, Wyrmhide 470, SHusk 474, WF 481, Diamond Mail 489, Loricated 496, GH 501, Boneweave 505, Balrog Skin 517, AP 524, Kracken 523, Hellforge 530, Lacquered 541, Shadow 557, Sacred 600.

I have a whole heap of 1.07 armors that rolled max-1, but NONE that rolled max... I haven't racked/collected nearly enough armors in 1.08 to make any meaningful observations, but @ziambe is obviously racking Archon Plates in 1.08 and observing the same thing...

WoRG

Reactions: d2lover
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High