1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Actually it's 256x the intended amount. First the game shifts the base value (2^8). This makes it 100-150 mana. Then in the final calculation it shifts it again (2^8) which makes it ~25,600-38,400 mana. This was a 1.10 bug. :D

Thanks for the insight!

Yeah I knew(read) about the *256 bug for melee, but it doesn't seem to apply to 07. At least, "my numbers" show there's no such bug going on. (So I assume you mean that it was introduced in 1.10, and non-existent before it.)

Weird that I've never seen this "aura bug" until this patch, after years of playing Diablo 2. FYI it even happens for me when teleporting straight towards an enemy, so leaving/returning is apparently not how it necessarily happens. Not really a game breaking bug obviously :p Just curious.

Also, wow, that list just showed me of how many bugs I was never even aware. It's actually pretty funny to imagine how Diablo would look if every single bug was fixed. (I always hated the Smite bug, lol.) Pretty nice that there are explanations, they do show how big a mess the code has always been :p

Mana burn was shifted one time before the 1.10 patch, then after that they broke it.

1.10+ bugs only (notice any of this when you play 1.07?)
- Unique monster packs no longer spawn purple, pink, or vivid green (they ****ed up the palette shift)
- Fireballs in the river of flame do not work right (the one's coming out of the lava)
- Baal's corpse explosion doesn't work right (there's no animation or explosion)
- Diablo's hose animation is broken
- Flayers don't cast their aura
- Fallen Shamans don't use the right resurrect animation
- Horadrim Ancient's don't use correct monster sounds
- Various other animations/sounds are broken
- New glitches in trade screen (I won't go into detail here ;))

There's a lot more but I'm to many drinks deep to type the rest xD

- Unique monster packs no longer spawn purple, pink, or vivid green (they ****ed up the palette shift)
- Flayers don't cast their aura
I'm loving the bright green, purple and pink colors on uniques :D
Never even knew about a flayer aura. Any idea what it would have done?

Just made this baby.. Still can't believe I used Fal rune on it. :p
Code:
Khalim's Will
One-Hand Damage: 1 to 22
Durability: 16 of 30
Mace Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0x78a77dec
+50% Enhanced Damage
+40 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 13
Magic Damage Reduced by 6
Adds 1-40 lightning damage
6% Life stolen per hit
6% Mana stolen per hit
50% Increased Attack Speed
150% Damage to Undead

And I came across the above post while going through the thread.
That's definitely one of the coolest thing I've seen in here :p
So what's the deal? I guess the stats are actually part of the base somehow?

Also, @pharphis I came across a few posts of yours that mentioned having a small "mule team" in your cow levels as you ran them. What kind of "builds" did you end up putting in there? You mentioned a druid with Oak Sage and a paladin with Prayer. Anything else? Just looking for ideas :)
Edit: And of course you mentioned Enchant and BO!

Last edited:

In 1.07 you can craft quest items. For some reason you can't do the viper amulet. But, you can craft Horadric Staff as well.

I'm loving the bright green, purple and pink colors on uniques :D
Never even knew about a flayer aura. Any idea what it would have done?

Also, @pharphis I came across a few posts of yours that mentioned having a small "mule team" in your cow levels as you ran them. What kind of "builds" did you end up putting in there? You mentioned a druid with Oak Sage and a paladin with Prayer. Anything else? Just looking for ideas :)
Edit: And of course you mentioned Enchant and BO!

uhh holy freeze can be useful for an added touch of safety, I guess. I usually only include drood + barb + mules I want to level + main char (usually sorc) in the level itself, with enchantress and extra mules in town. That way there's less exp sharing but number of players in the level itself seems to affect drops. The drood should ofc have a bear, too

The flayer aura. Hmm. I don't think it works even pre 1.10. Basically the aura is a call to the flayers, and I believe it's supposed to give them a temporary boost to speed. The event state proc'd is supposed to give the flayers an overlay similar to iron maiden. But as I said it's broke even in 1.09. I'll upload a screenshot later of the overlay and maybe the relevant code. I've seen a mod before which actually fixed it but I can't remember the name.

@DiabloTwoinDC you cant craft viper amulets because they are not amulets. They are there own item type and not a unique amulet. But hey, in the beta you can craft AND personalize throwing potions!

Personalizing a throwing potion, now that's hardcore.

I guess the stats are actually part of the base somehow?

Sorry, I guess I should've been clear. I meant to ask why the quest uniques get to keep their stats when crafted?
No not really important, but.. curious. :D

Popular to contrary belief, bosses can drop from Hell TC. However, the TC is incomplete in 1.07/1.08 so bosses/council only have 1/3 chance for Hell TC and 2/3 for Normal TC. Baal however, DOES only drop from his normal tc (same with Nihlathak). I just checked ATMA to be sure. Drop calc says Diablo can drop Zod Rune and Naj's Puzzler. But it is at 1/3 potential.

Came across this post. Thoughts, anyone? Has anyone killed a lot of bosses and seen any "mid-to-high" qlvl items drop? :)

And @pharphis , Oak Sage seems to get capped at level 20 in both radius as well as +%life. :( Or otherwise there's an extreme case of diminishing returns. Oak sage goes from about 1 diagonal screen (lvl1) to 2 diagonal screens (lvl20). Spirit of Wolverine goes from about half a diagonal screen to 2 diagonal screens, and Spirit of Barbs seems to have a static radius of 1 diagonal screen.

As for Travincal, some players mentioned that the entire Council is lightning immune by default, but in fact only Geleb Flamefinger plus his four minions are lightning immune, the other 6 members are fire immune.

And because pictures work better than plain text, in the next example, Geleb Flamefinger is not lightning immune! In stead, he is cold immune:
xzZSe24.jpg

I posted a little bit about this bug with Magic Resistant earlier, and the above case is an example where it shows. The damage that he sustained there was done exclusively with lightning damage. He has 75 lightning resistance and 175 cold resistance, because their values were swapped before MR applied its resistances. Don't trust descriptions, folks!

(And don't mind the paladin's lack of gear, he's just a test rat.)

Last edited:
Hmm.. I didn't realize oak sage didn't give more past lvl 20. I'll have to look at my chars to see because mine is like lvl 40 atm lol

I posted that based on the ATMA drop calc but later tested and it wasn't true. Bosses always drop from the normal TC. In 1.08 however, regular council members can drop high level items. I think maybe valor. If you keep reading I posted after that my post was incorrect.

Ah :) Well, that's a shame.
07 council minions also drop from their Hell TC (63), and they also have the 800 "monster bonus" or however I should call it. Unfortunately the uniques drop from their Normal TC (lol 07).

Hmm.. I didn't realize oak sage didn't give more past lvl 20. I'll have to look at my chars to see because mine is like lvl 40 atm lol

Yeah you mentioned it in a post I came across, which is why I brought it up. I fear your efforts to boost Oak Safe were pointless :(
I'll probably still use Oak Sage though, with a few pets. Then maybe a Thorns paladin as well if that turns out to be worth it.
Not there yet though, still need alotta rackin'!

Showoff :D

For some reason it hurts me to see unused stuff like that. Imagine how the game would look if the original team had another 10 million and a few years to work on it.

Ok here is the "keep windows active + multiple windows" dll: CLICK

Thanks so much for this! I also installed the D2Client and D2Win you posted earlier :)
Only problems I have with the D2gxf is that the window freezes whenever I click outside of it, and I can not minimize the window at all.
I'm planning on trying some self-MP soon and those features would make it so much more convenient.
Do you happen to know where to look for enabling minimizing, and/or not have the window freeze? I looked into some hex-editing, but I couldn't figure out what addresses to look at :/ It's a bit much to take in for a newb like me.

Last edited:
Info dump:

Looks like Crushing Blow takes 1/3 of a monster's current life, not 1/4 like in later patches. No wonder it rocks cow level. 1/8 for uniques and bosses like in later patches, it seems.

Regeneration seems to be [DR*life/8192]. (DR = DamageRegen value from monstats.txt, range is [0-6], excluding 1.) Dunno yet if it scales with players.
(Also not sure what the deal is with unique monsters; they don't seem to regenerate at all..?)
For example a regular Urdar can have 1993 life, and has a DR of 6, which would mean ~1.46 life per frame, or ~36.5 life per second.

Some more random stuff:

Aura Enchanted slvl = [mlvl/4], rounded down.
So mlvl93 monsters have slvl23 auras, which means Conviction applies -140. So if you want to try and stack resistances to counter Conviction, you have a long way to go :p

It doesn't seem like you can counter Conviction by supplying your own Conviction as a paladin (like in later patches). In stead, you both apply Conviction, and you both are affected by it. (Don't be fooled by the lack of aura graphics!)

Fanaticism in particular is also very dangerous, giving +424% damage to the mlvl93 unique, and +212% to its minions. Imagine a unique Hell Bovine with Extra Strong and Fanaticism, critting you with a high damage roll of 183:
183*2*2*5,24=3835,36 physical damage. (And what if you were cursed!? Only pharphis would survive that hit.)

Random example of how lowering magic find lowers odds of getting a unique:
With 548 magic find, there's a 1:1 chance to get a unique if Andariel drops a ring or amulet.
With 535, it's 1:2.
With 491, it's 1:5.
With 420, it's 1:10.
With 278, it's 1:20.

So it's not really like magic find is useless when you're somewhere between breakpoints, but as you can see the odds will drop relatively rapidly.

@pharphis Magic Arrow / Blade Fury / "glitchwielding":
Dunno if you're still interested, or if you already had your answers, but Blade Fury is terrible. It does not import anything. Blade Sentinel and Blade Fury both seem to function like spells; they just do the listed damage, and that's it. They do physical damage. BF doesn't pierce either, but it wouldn't matter if it did. :p
What's funny though is that when a BS "dies", it scares Fallen as if you killed a monster. Another silly bug.

As for Magic Arrow, it's actually pure physical damage. Not sure if it was intended to be like that, but that's how it is.
It doesn't seem like the damage gets enhanced by anything. For example strength, dexterity, Fanaticism and Concentration didn't increase the damage. +% Damage from items (like the unique Hat) also didn't do anything.
And since you mentioned Attack Rating for MA; if you have an open socket free somewhere, an Eth rune might be an option? It works when put in the off-hand weapon when you're glitchwielding. It might not be necessary though.
You do leech from the damage, but since it's only +19 damage at slvl20, I would just keep it at level 1.

Fun fact: If you use javelins as off-hand when using a (cross)bow, the quantity of the javelin will be used as bolts/arrows. I couldn't really think of a way to exploit this however, because javelins are a poor option for glitchwielding, compared to some of the unique items.
The main pro is that you're not forced to use MA, but on the other hand, javelins don't really get stats that synergize particularly well with Bow Skills, at least not compared to what unique items have to offer. Another downside is that javelins can't have sockets. On top of that, the quantity goes down very rapidly when using (cross)bows..

Lastly, you posted that the IAS from off-hand gets "added" to the weapon you're using, but it does not seem to work like that. Or at least, there's more to it.
I'm under the impression that your base speed will be the average of both weapons (or something along those lines).
For example I compared using a Great Bow, to using a GB bow with a Thunder Maul as off-hand, and my attack speed dropped drastically. Therefore, I bet that you would end up ditching Cranium Basher to Coldsteel Eye because of the crippling slow speed.
I also tried the GB with a Chu-Ko-Nu (-60) as secondary, and it gave a very nice boost in attack speed.

So if you plan on trying out MA with your Buriza, then you could try using a very fast base as off-hand.
Maybe that a regular or magic weapon with a bunch of runes could actually be quite good?
Something like a 4 or 5 socketed bow with some Shaes, maybe an Eth, maybe some Emeralds..

It's probably worth it to figure out how exactly the attack speed thing works for glitchwielding.. :)

It doesn't seem like you can counter Conviction by supplying your own Conviction as a paladin (like in later patches). In stead, you both apply Conviction, and you both are affected by it. (Don't be fooled by the lack of aura graphics!)
oh.....

I wish I knew that before I tried using it to defend myself against toorc in my HC pally. woooo.................

edit: good to know for those other skills, too. When I was testing I tried razor bow with a bunch of shae runes or something to check if it helped.

Cranium Basher has other nice things to add to it but attack speed is a good point... pretty sure my coldsteel eye already has an eth in it...

So the +dmg from magic arrow itself is ALSO physical dmg?

I still have these chars but I'm doubting I'll ever use them, now. Seems pretty useless, but it was a fun idea.

Yea, even the added damage from MA is physical.
I'm fairly sure that in later patches, MA does benefit from +% damage from gear and auras, before it gets converted to magic damage. I was hoping MA would work similarly in 07, but alas, it's nothing alike. (In fact, I was hoping the skill would be bugged in our favor :p)
I expected MA's damage to get added to your bow or something, as if it was +damage that was on the weapon itself, but as-is, MA is just lame. I'm actually surprised that you leech from the damage.

Ah, I remember the post of yours mentioning something about your paladin dying even with Conviction on, I didn't understand what you meant at the time.
But non. I made sure to test different slvl situations: [monster > player], [monster = player], and [monster < player]. In all cases, both the paladin and the monster would suffer the resistance penalty.

+IAS from off-hand does work when glitchwielding, but it's still a mystery to me what (base speed) it exactly gets applied to. I suggested weapon speeds get averaged, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried a Chu-Ko-Nu (-60) with Great Bow (-10) and my speed went up, rather than down.
Coldsteel Eye should be awesome, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out being the best option for LF.

Edit: I haven't even gotten to Travincal runs yet, but to be honest I will most likely just S&E when I even see Conviction. I mean.. -140! :p

Hello SPF,

since i am browsing diabloii for a couple of weeks now (especially the SPF), i'd like to participate and therefore introduce myself:

This is Chris (33) from Germany. I play Diablo 2 and D2 LoD since release and played Diablo 1 before. Early this year i started to play Singleplayer the first time (P8 HC 1.13). The last time i played before this, was Classic Ladder in 2009.

For a week or two now, i play 1.07 HC because ive read about the possibility of 1.07 item forwarding. Therefore ive read myself through most of the stickies one can find easily when entering this forum.

A few questions remained, so i hope someone in here can answer them:

1) Where can i find FCR/FHR/IAS tables for 1.07 ?

2) Ive read that LvL 8 is optimal for cubing Triumphant Apprentice rings. Can anyone link me the explanation or the formular, so i can understand which are the optimal LvLs for cubing stuff ?

3) Which is the lowest LvL and Location, where i can shop BO-Sticks ?

4) Are Dual-Leech-Rings a thing in 1.07 (as they were in 1.08) ?

5) Is it wise to put at least one point in ES on every sorce ?

6) Can characters enter the Cowlvl who didnt finish the Baalquest ? Edit: No they cant =(

Thank you very much in advance, GL & HF !

Last edited:
The reason lvl 8 is optimal is because it's the earliest level you can craft "of apprentice". The reason itis the most optimal is simply because there are fewer possible affixes than later levels.

1) Don't know but most things should be the same as 1.09
2) Now, if you have a few already and unless you really really want 37mpk w/ 10% fcr, my recommendation would be to craft them at higher levels for possibly useful rares/uniques :D
5) IMO as a HC player yes.
6) I've had problems with this so I think your edit is correct.

Love that forum name :D

1) Breakpoints are the same from 1.07 to present patch. They were different before LoD.
2) lvl 8 gives the best odds, by eliminating as many other affixes as possible. That recipe produces a ring with item level 5 (and because rings are qlvl 1, this gives affix level 5) which is the minimum required to get "of the Apprentice".
3) Assuming you mean +3 BO, you're probably looking at anywhere in nightmare or hell, with a lvl 55+ character. Probably. Haven't checked.
4) Dual leech can't spawn in 1.07 - even crafts bug out to be one or the other. The only way of getting these in 1.07 is to forward them from 1.06b or earlier.
5) Yes. I believe resistances modify damage before ES in 1.07, so that would be a good idea.
6) No, as you have discovered.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High