The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

@LiquidClear

Nice runes & charms! You got a fairly even distribution there.

Very nice haul @LiquidClear. Best of luck in the search for the Infinity base!

Hiatus continued her push to 97. She’s 3/4 of the way there, and, with a Ber dropping, she is also 3/4 of the way to Infinity from this level. With the earlier Sur and Mals/Ums, she is a Sur and Mal short. She is still looking for an eth 4os Thresher or Giant Thresher.

Other finds were unique Berserker Axe and the set Colossus Blade. She’s going to make some progress on the last quarter level tomorrow, and then hopefully get 25M during the week and then finish up on Saturday.

Phaedrus also got some time, with 150 Meph runs under his belt. Not what he was looking for, but another Steelshade dropped along with a perfect poison facet. Once he finishes his 250 Meph runs, he's probably going to focus on p8 RoF runs until level 92 and then hunker down in LK for a while.

Edit: Hyperlinks fixed!

Last edited:
Hi guys... I'm officially entering this tournament... So I would like to introduce you to my javazon: Furious_Blonde.

View attachment 5468

I've been playing her for quite some time (first screenshot i found was from september last year) and she actually is my only SP char after deleting all my old characters, but I refrained from entering until I considered she was strong enough to get there eventually.

I wanted to make her really powerful, not just crawl to 99 and hope for good drops so I decided that getting Infinity + Enigma was mandatory... I used to consider them unattainable in SP even on 1.13 (that's why I used to only play on BattleNet), but I learnt a lot from your progress updates and the rest of the SP forum and decided to give LK a try after finishing hell at about lvl 83 (I wanted to Baal so didn't even consider saving Ancients Q).

Sure enough it worked, but it took so much patience...

I slapped all FRW gear I had on my Ama, made a Harmony bow (that really helped), rolled a map with 2 campfires and went to work on /p7... When i began i had an average of 70 sec/run... In the end, the average went down to 35 - 37 sec/run including muling...

First 1000 LK runs i got: Ber + 2 x Sur. Was really excited... Infinity was within reach... A high end SP RW would be mine... Then I started searching for a base in Pits/Cows and it hit me...
A good base (was dreaming of eth Thresher/Giant Thresher) could take forever... For over a month I looked at my lovely HRs and searched for a base... /P7 pits were slow due to lack of gear, cows also. I thought it was so dumb that a base took me longer than finding the HRs... But making a merc infinity in non eth polearm was dumber. Then while going in for a slow Baal run, a random mob in WSK dropped a 4 sock etheral CV... After watching the runes for so long, it was good enough for me. Did not even consider running for Enigma runes at that time... I was so sick of LK already... My java should kill mobs, not just run around...

Infinity was a game changer for her. Baal (/p1,8,3) was actually doable and pretty safe... But walking the WSK was tedious, dangerous (that's where I most frequently died) and really slow. Lack of merc control with tele was also really annoying...

So i leveled to lvl 93 and after a lucky Sur drop from the chest behing meph, she returned to LK.

1000 runs in... no HRs whatsoever... Was extremely annoyed and bored again...

Then i pushed 3000 runs (which took me 2 months): 3 Surs dropped + 1 lucky Ber from a non-superchest (a chest right in front of the north hut). I planned to make Eni in a non-sup BP (for versatilty and used to also like the look on ama), but after researching my options, decided that dusk shroud looks best. So here it is:

View attachment 5470

Another game changer. I can now safely run Baal (/p 1,8,3) and Diablo (/p8) and also enjoy them... I still have some problems with wave 3 (merc death) and LI Lister that the merc can kill by himself but takes too long...

Summary of 5000 /p7 LK runs: 2 x Ber, 5 x Sur, 1 x Lo, 2 x Ohm, 6 x Vex + about 2200 other runes (I picked almost all of them up like a madman)

Current gear:
  • Head: crap rare circlet: 1 ama, 20 frw, 5ll, 45 to life, 13 all res, 37 light res (can not bring myself to put anything other than a circlet/tiara/diadem due to how they look) - hoping for a griffon eventually ofc
  • Weapon: rare 2 ama, 2 java, replenish quantity javelins - not one titans dropped yet and i'm lvl 93... i want one so bad...
  • Gloves: 3 java gloves - i tried to shop 3/20's at charsi and anya like crazy, but still no luck
  • Armor: Enigma dusk shroud
  • Shield: Spirit Monarch 35% fcr
  • Belt: Razortail - I consider it the best java belt hands down; it made a huge difference in damage output
  • Boots: Aldur's
  • Amu: Mara 29 res
  • Rings: manald + crap rare dual leech and all res ring - a ravenfrost here would help immensely
  • Switch: CTA 5BO (first roll) + Spirit Monarch
Merc gear:
  • Weapon: eth CV infinity 315 ed
  • Armor: Fortitude 3,1k def in ebugged Boneweave
  • Head: Andy visage (cannot socket it because i already wasted 2 socket quests - i was a moron here... it was too late when i realized the importance of the larzuk reward when playing untwinked and now it's most definitely too late)
So best of luck in all your running, and i look forward to all of your updates...

Progress Update
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.17          Yes        2190+?      475           13         270?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      96             Yes           -        387           19           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
BKC           Meteorbin       SC      Sorc      91             Yes           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      91             Yes           -        224            10          -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      91             No            -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Me2Nik        Fugu            HC      Ama       90             Yes          80
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
Pb_pal        Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Kitteh        Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
hackedagainanda Hugo          HC      Barb      16             Yes           -          -            -           -

The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Hope I didn't screw up the table... It's my first time editing it...

Last edited:
Welcome @grim. Very nice to see an Amazon make an appearance up the table. I hope the angry maiden finds a golden diadem to match her hair soon.

One thought on your Baal runs -- my trapper started making much faster progress when she bailed immediately whenever she encountered an unbreakable LI Lister. It certainly made the runs more enjoyable, and I'm pretty sure her overall XP/min increased due to how long that spawn could take. Best of luck on the next level!

I appreciate the suggestion @PhineasB . I think I'll also skip LI Lister... It just takes too long...

Wave 3 is still a problem though. Those hydras frequently kill my merc or make me run to town to heal him...

A griffon would be amazing. But Titan's + Ravenfrost + 3/20 jav gloves are all a lot more frequent drops that I just haven't found yet. It's really weird for me to already have all the runewords i want while still needing common uniques... But i guess it's one of the challenges of playing untwinked...

Well Stevesy has reached the 3k mark, meaning I'm approaching the halfway point of the expected number of runs needed for all of my runes.

Run 2011 - Um (missed getting a screenie due to impending doom of fanat-enchanted apes)
Run 2077 - Mal
Run 2487 - Lo - Great! We'll likely need lots of these for rolling Griefs later on.
Run 2677 - Mal
Run 2792 - Vex
Run 2817 - Sur - Finally! After almost 3k runs since the last one, I was starting to get worried.
Run 2987 -
RW4kqMD.jpg

And just like that, Stevesy is only one Sur away from Enigma! (also I hope you guys appreciate that I almost killed him to get this shot :p)

Technically I could cube the last Sur now, but it's not worth it to use up all those useful lower runes especially since I'll need them for Grief/Exile/Cta etc.

Skillers found:
- Shape Shifting
- Javelin Skills

Other finds:
- Eye of Etlich
- Laying of Hands
- Ruby Jewel of Carnage (36%ED/11 max damage) Kinda fun, though I won't be using it I don't think.

Glad to see that progress at the end there, it was beginning to look a little bleak for a while. At some point I'm going to have to go scouring for bases for everything, but for now I'm going to focus on just finding those pesky rocks!

Great progress to everyone else out there!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on killing the Ancients. I sorta wish I would have waited, but at least I can do some Baal/WSK/Cow runs if I want. Stupid me decided to go for it late last night, and forgot to change the player settings to /p1. Seeing as though I could save and exit if things got too crazy on /p7 I kept going just to see how crazy it could get. Yep, I know, it's pointless to do it on anything more than /p1, but I wanted a fight, and I sure as hell got one. I managed to keep my Merc alive for 2 of the three so all I really had to face alone was one of them. It was a fun way to ding 95(need to update the table when I get home).
Now I need to find a good set of runs to make things more efficient for just pure XP grinding. AT/Pits are being stingy and XP from them is getting low at this point. Since I am not the fastest runner and don't have all the end game gear I want maybe it's time to do some time tests to see what nets me the most XP per hour.

Champion Hiatus and Zanarhi the HF Desert Merc, Lvl 97 (pic)
Hiatus continues her progress, hitting level 97. Nothing too exciting (in a good way) for the last quarter level, aside from Mal #3 (so she's now just a Sur away from Infinity) and a Pul, which allowed a very nice reroll on the Heart of the Oak.

Zanarhi was still squishy, dying too often, so we sorted through the stash shortly after the last update. OKs were the biggest problem, so we tried out Gladiator’s Bane due to integer DR and MDR and cannot be frozen. Big improvement, with only two merc deaths the last quarter level.

Hiatus is also starting to run low on gold, due ~$250K per repair (I guess from the superior base for her CoH). So she is probably going to switch up to GF gear for council and then hit Meph for a bit in hopes of scoring Arachnid’s (there is a theme with my 99ers in the difficulty finding that key piece of gear :rolleyes:).

Once that's finished, she’s going to test out a different gear set up for CS, with Ormus’ Robes. That will mean a few Shimmering GCs swapped in for SCs of Vita, but that will also allow her to go back to SoJ x2 due to the FCR from the armor (BKWB would be better for the +life, but no luck there yet). I’m curious if the loss of one +skill will be worth the +skill damage.

Progress Update
Code:
Name          (C)            SC/HC    Class  Level/exp   Extended Stash  #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths  # of Hours
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy      Perkele         SC      Barb      99             No            -          -            -           -
Pb_pal        Eleanor         SC      Sorc      99             No         3068        437            5           -
NanoMist      Izuna           SC      Sin       99             No         5109        470            4         360
PhineasB      Mercy           SC      Sin       99             Yes           -        475           11           -
Neksja        Aura            SC      Paladin   98.50          Yes        8606        464            -           -
T72on1        Neverland       SC      Sorc      98.17          Yes        2190+?      475           13         270?
hasuprotoss   Reina           SC      Sorc      97             Yes        1751        384            -           -
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -        394           19           -
Tarantella    Tarasha         HC      Sorc      96             Yes           -          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol  Fishie          HC      Sorc      95             No            -          -            -           -
ThomasJohnsen xInTheBuffx     HC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      94             Yes           -          -            -           -
Reyz          Qty             SC      Sorc      93             No            -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Chaostar      Prairie         SC      Sorc      91             Yes         659        261           12         126
OldSoldier    Battleforge     HC      Pala      91             Yes           -        236            -           -
tokerdin      tokeress        SC      Sorc      91             yes           -          -            -           -
BKC           Meteorbin       SC      Sorc      91             Yes           -          -            -           -
PhineasB      Phaedrus        SC      Pala      91             Yes           -        224            10          -
Zenigma       Ayura           SC      Barb      91             No            -          -            -           -
Southpaw      Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
Qwernt        CanbeOnlyBlizz  SC      Sorc      90             Yes           ?          -        Dont want to know
MercMan       Este            SC      Ama       90             Yes        1212        278            2  Classified
Lynchgrinch   Tattersail      SC      Sorc      89             Yes           ?        321         too many    lots
LiquidClear   Sally           SC      Assn      **             Yes         225          -            1           -
liquid_mage   zDadColdSorc    SC      Sorc      **             Yes           -        160            -           -
Neksja        Turirao         SC      Druid     87             Yes         191        124            5           -
Gladstone     Socrates        HC      Druid     86             ?             -          -            -           -
Zenigma       Gnosis          SC      Druid     86             No            -          -            -           -
Lord Molyb    Cruise_Control  SC      Necro     86             No          115         94           19         idk
Naturallog    Athos           HC      Barb      84             No          159        105            0           -
Lord Molyb    Verisimilitude  SC      Ama       83             No           28         25            0         idk
Qwernt        AmaAgainstAll   SC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          -            -           -
Gambit        Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
Lord Molyb    But_Why         SC      Sin       81             Never        55         51           53
Jean Avila    SpeedAdict      SC      Ama       77             No            -          -            -          50
Pb_pal        Stevesy         HC      Paladin   76             Yes           -          -            0           -
logo          Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
TwentyMule    Rayne           SC      Sorc      76             Yes         195        140            ?           ?
Gripphon      Ryu             SC      Sorc      76             Yes           -          -         over 9k       13
Darke Rahl    Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0
Vildecor      Celia           SC      Ama       59             Yes          52         43            0           -
ioupainmax    Durnik          SC      Paladin   52             Yes          50         42            -           -
Kitteh        Darozzo         HC      Druid     45             No            -          -            -           -
TrU           Henryk          SC      Barb      41             Yes           -          -           22          12
Gambit        Colossus        SC      Pal       39             Yes           0          0            0           0
Smancer       Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
Ergroilnin    Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
hackedagainanda Hugo          HC      Barb      16             Yes           -          -            -           -

The Fallen
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
TwentyMule  Valus           HC      Barb      76             Yes           -          -            1           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     49             Yes           -          0            1           -
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Ok so I've played and levelled an untwinked char as well recently..

Progress Update
Code:
PhineasB      Hiatus          SC      Sorc      97             Yes           -        394           19           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      76             No            -          -          many          ?

I forgot to update the table.

Progress Update

Code:
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      76             No            -          -          many          ?

The Fallen
Code:

Javazon reached lvl 94 this weekend, replacing @darkstarhub 's place on the table...

Best drop this level came from wave 1 Baal:
View attachment 5557

Other notable drops: Mara 21 (I'm already wearing a 29) and Lo from the big guy himself (Baal)
Did not find any items that i'm searching for.

Current wishlist: Titans's, 3/20 java gloves, Ravenfrost, BK ring/SOJ, vampire gaze, griffon's

Changes i made:
  • Replaced unsocketed andy visage with peasant's crown. That improved merc's survivability to wave 3 hydras.
  • Dropped valk+decoy after respecking. They were a tremendous help while leveling but not so much now and i got tired of casting them
Deaths this level: 1.
I tried to drop D/A/E because I read somewhere about that. I guess I need a lot more fhr, chance to block and life for this to work. First run i did, I teleported straight into a huge group of mobs in CS and instantly died... No chance of corpse recovery. That sucked so much I immediately changed back...

What do you guys do with gems found on your untwinked chars?
I've started rolling a Baal GC. It saves me the hassle of muling them off constantly and I still need about 4 java skillers... No luck so far...
Also, although I'never experimented with crafting, I'm thinking about crafting a caster amulet after I reach the next level. Chances to get something useful are extremely slim I know, but I've seen some awesome amulets...
Suggestions are more that welcomed...

Progress Update
Code:
darkstarhub   Neptune         SC      Sorc      95             Yes           -          -            -           -
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       94             Yes           -          -            -           -

The Fallen
Code:

Thanks @T72on1. I had thought about it part way into level 96, but Hiatus was having a hard time using those Rals for repairs rather than caster ammys. It's probably worth it for now to avoid spending time GFing though, so thanks for the reminder. I'll save the GFing at Council for when she needs a break from CS!

@grim -- I'd definitely focus on rerolling Baal charms, although you may eventually find it faster to start leaving flawless gems on the ground to focus on the XP. The odds of getting your class tree of skiller aren't super high, in any event (although Mercy did get one, so it paid off for her!).

Last edited:
So, after having started as pure Blizzard Sorc through normal and nightmare and leveling to the mid 70s, I respec'ed her to Meteorb once I was ready for some hell action. Then I realized this is just awful without decent gear and respec'ed to Blizzballer. Then I realized that when aiming for 99 it might make sense not to kill the ancients any time soon. Then I realized... this means no Baaling, which means no essences. Great. So no more respecs for me until level 99 or what... Super great, cause I had planned to go back to pure Blizzard for leveling and MF, which is now out of the question. However, I'm surprised how well Blizzballing works without top notch gear. At least I didn't use any Larzuk quests. ;)

Speaking of gear, my sorc "HelpYourself" truly lived up to her name so far. She was relatively quickly able to assemble two Spirits, Lore, and Stealth, found Magefist and two Nagelrings (25 and 30 mf). Upon entering A3 hell, she spend a couple of hours in LK - and was up to a very quick start there: Sur and Vex dropped within the first 2 hours. Since I had already picked up a Ko on the way, all of a sudden I was only a base and a Pul away from Hoto. The next decent rune that dropped was indeed Pul, and after rolling sockets into 5 flails she finally got a 4os one and made a beautiful +38 all res Hoto. About 3-4 hrs of further LK runs in, Mal and Ist dropped, now putting her an Ohm and Um + Sur away from CtA and CoH, respectively. So no complaints regarding LK so far. :)

A few Meph and Pindle runs then netted Naj's Light Plate and Skullder's Ire, meaning she can run Mephisto and Pindle with around 200% mf on low player settings. Still looking for a lot of stuff like Harle, Viper, +2 amu and SoJ/BK, but overall of course super happy with the drops so far.

Still pissed about my respec fail though as levelling on high /p settings will be difficult without synergized Blizzard. :(

Progress Update
Code:
Grim          Furious_Blonde  SC      Ama       94             Yes           -          -            -           -
ffs           HelpYourself    SC      Sorc      85             No            -          -          many          ?

The Fallen
Code:

Last edited:
Thinking about it actually, I think I might still use my last quest respec and go for pure blizzard until lvl 98 anyway. When hitting the ancients at level 98 I guess I should have enough gear assembled to finish them off at /p1 nonetheless with a (hopefully) decently geared Merc, right? Killing Baal to then get essences for any later respecs is going to be a pain as well though... oh my..

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High