MFO Summer 2020 Signups and Running Thread

Team Happy Three Friends
yIi334at.jpg

Flippy/Babyhell

Results sent.

Targeting final upgrades on last stretch, and targeting the 15/20hours of running. Not a bad score for now (for me I'd say...), let's see how it ends..!

Best rune so far: Ko. (Sic)

@ffs sad to hear the pit lag persists, but looking forward to your research into the blizzy sword setup.

I've got some new ideas regarding the sorc build/gear which I'll share after the MFO, trying to use the most of my time for the grind :)

I've also tested the infinity approach and I don't like it (copying this from messages with Luhkoh, who motivated me to finally try infi):

The play strategy is kinda contradictive because you want to get close to apply conviction, but don't want to be close to prevent mana burns.
It's harder to tell what's going on with so much neon green everywhere, the biggest issue is not being able to see boss auras clearly which I use as hints to figure out where a boss pack is.
Merc's damage is lower so I can't delegate kills to him. Normally I'd TP next to some boss or champ and let the merc handle it while I'm shooting at something else. W/o insight he just can't kill them in time.
Mana burn goes from minor nuisance to issue.
To kill immunes you still have to tele on them and cast blizzard so there's almost no difference between insight. If I attack from a distance the first 1-3 shards do nothing (aura delay) and they move out of the hit zone by the time I tele on them.
There are still unbreakable CIs and now the merc can't kill them fast enough, the only problematic CI bosses when using insight are stoneskin with holy freeze.

Reactions: Luhkoh
On AT Blizzy I use this gear currently:

- Shako Ist
- 6-Ist CS
- Spirit
- eth Skullder's Ist
- 2/20 FCR craft ammy
- Arach
- 40 MF magic ring
- FCR/15 MF/life/resist ring
- TO gloves
- WT

CtA/Spirit switch.

Same Merc (Might) setup as with Berserker:
- Cham'ed Andy's
- 60 IAS/ED jeweled armor
- GT Insight

Inventory is 5 skillers with life, FRW, Gheed's & various MF SCs – a dozen or so with LR and CR

It pretty much requires a 2/20 amulet and a good amount of MF SCs with resists, in particular LR and CR. But it provides higher life and generally hits more damage breakpoints than Fathom setups – see comparison here. I concluded Fathom is only downright better when casting BC and using perfect 30 CSD Fathom, whereas with 25-29 CSD Fathom it's more or less on par with 180 MF sword setup when casting BC. Without BC sword setups is better damage by default. That's assuming 5 skillers in inventory with the sword, which puts it at the same MF breakpoint as Fathom (656 in my case). Of course the sword setup provides a lot of flexibility, for example when dropping a couple of skillers one could get much higher MF etc... but downside is loss of some of those breakpoints, not sure yet which is better, depends on actual impract on run times in the end...

Reactions: Albatross
I'm definitely checkout out this setup when/if I get a 2/20 amulet.

The merc's armor has been on my mind since ResTTe and you first started using them in the pit. I even considered ditching andariel's for a similar helm to get rid of poison nova procs, but this also requires burning a cham... the lack of life leech might be an issue, but an IAS jeweled Kira's could serve as a cheaper option for the test. Or maybe even stay, gotta check the breakpoints for that.

Edit: if someone else is going crazy over d2 attack speed calculator's tendency to refresh and wipe your data on each submit you can do this:

(Chrome) Open up dev tools with ctrl + shift + i and paste berechneBreakpoints() into the console. This will run the javascript to open the breakpoints popup, but will avoid refreshing the form because you don't touch the button on which someone forgot to add event.preventDefault() making everyone suffer :D

When you change some values go back to the chrome console and hit the up arrow instead of typing or pasting the berechneBreakpoints() again and hit enter.

1599217421151.png

Edit 2:

A GT needs exactly 75 IAS to hit the second last Jab BP, the next one is at 142 (unreachable for insight).
GPA can hit the same BP with 105 IAS, but this would require 3x IAS jewel or Mav's + IAS jewel which means no CBF so it's a bust.
Good thing is you don't need anything but the 60 IAS armor and andariel's to hit 63 and 4.16 attacks per second vs GT's 4.54. Should be somewhat comparable?

Last edited:
For Berserker I was kinda surprised I never saw someone use a 60 IAS armor before I posted it... That includes myself not realizing it earlier :) At least when using Andy's it's hands down the best option IMO.

But I'm not sure it's ideal for Blizzy, I was rather lazy and just moved over the Barb Merc gear.

I think Fortitude is the better choice for her along with GPA Insight + Cham'ed Andy or GFace. It provides best DPS on average, only downside is slower Might triggering. But runs are shorter (meaning Might triggering is less reliable anyway) and Might is only really felt important when facing CIs, overall IMO it seems more sensible to boost average DPS than focus too much on Might triggering.

Back when I played her last I also used Cham'ed GFace + Fortitude + GPA Insight. Judging by numbers alone, GFace in theory is better than Andy's against certain HP ranges but worse against other HP ranges... Probably no difference in practical terms. Could be a good choice if you're annoyed by the poison novas (I don't mind them much). With good damage/clear speed, Merc doesn't need leech anyway.

Kira's I never tried with her. GPA loses one FPA breakpoint when using Forti+Kira (IAS jewel) in comparison to Forti+Andy (Cham). However, whether you get 15 or 20 IAS from headpiece doesn't affect GT/Thresher nor CA/CV base breakpoints, and in particular the latter slower bases are close to the Andy setup anyway in terms of DPS. So probably a nice option indeed and without having to spend a Cham.

First 7 Days Update – Pindle+ and A85 Categories

Missing only one update in A85, but all the others are in! So I decided to post and will update if/when the last update arrives. Very close races to be decided over the weekend!

Pindle+
The order holds in the top four, and it remains very close, with the top two getting a little separation. But a big drop could shake things up at any moment, making this a race likely to come down to the wire. Current rankings (without information about point totals) is in the spoiler.
1. Kstil3227
2. m4ke
3. Hackedagainanda
4. Nano
5. CaseyJones
6. jjscud

A85
Quite a shake up of the leader board. The leader has built a little cushion, and the next 5 or so are in a pack with a chance to catch up the leader with some big drops. Quite a race shaping up as we head into the final weekend! Current rankings (without information about point totals) is in the spoiler.
1. Nagisa
2. Trim
3. LiquidClear
4. Albatross
5. frozzzen
6. Pb_pal
7. ResTTe
8. ffs
9. Luhkoh
10. Swamigoon
11. EatSleepDiablo
12. maxicek
13. QueenEm

Reactions: maxicek
But runs are shorter (meaning Might triggering is less reliable anyway) and Might is only really felt important when facing CIs

My thought exactly, but I had to give it a go. Went for a cheap 4x IAS armor with some lightning res, it's obviously slower vs CIs until might triggers.
The way it would come out on top is with 4x 40/15, but even if someone was that rich I don't think anyone is insane enough to do it.

Regarding Gface, the high CB is definitely the issue. If DS and CB % were reversed it would be great :D This way, you're sacrificing an IAS breakpoint and gambling on well timed CBs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the current Baal standings, (- Friiser, who I'll edit in once he reports).

Scores are tensing up and names are moving around in the Baal category. While there's less room for upgrades, it's still anyone's game!
1. John Remedy
2. PhineasB
3. Babyhell
4. Vildecor
5. Friiser

Edit: added friiser.

Last edited:
Reactions: Friiser
Grrrr. Can't say I'm surprised about that placement. Give me better items Diablo!!!! I've been tryharding and failharding for sure. But really, this is right where I want to be. All this poor luck means the last 3 days gonna be EPIC to balance things out. ...Right?

@ffs I still just dont understand the appeal of the 6ist setup. What am I missing here?
YUzsjfr.png

Seems to me there's no reason to consider it unless you have mf on your 2/20 amulet (which seems like too much to ask for), or a low rolled fathom. And even then, thats not mentioning the enormous res loss from no tals armor or fathom (-75ish cold and light res). You get more life if you have some op skillers for sure, but I always feel like I want more res there even while running hoto, so I just don't understand the appeal.

@ffs I still just dont understand the appeal of the 6ist setup. What am I missing here?
You're comparing raw Blizzard damage numbers, but you have to consider -ECR as well.

Sword setup provides higher CM level, with 5 skillers you get -180 ECR in comparison to -160 ECR with Fathom/Tal setup. This affects performance against bosses with certain combinations of modifiers which increase CR above 60, and changes the required Blizzard/IB damage to hit some of the breakpoints (number of Blizzard/IB hits required) favorably for the sword setup.

Comparing those breakpoints (taking into account the different -ECR amounts) is the exercise I did with table in the post I linked above.

To me the only downside is the requirement of a 2/20 amulet and then it all depends on whether you have charms to make running comfortable, in particular res/MF charms. In my case with 180 MF sword I get to 55 LR and 35 CR, for sure there's some loss of resist in comparison of Fathom/Tal's but I feel very comfortable with those amounts.

Of course any 20 FCR amulet will do. It's just that +2 skills on it are needed to stay on same MF breakpoint. (Edit: ...while getting those damage advantages.) But honestly MF amount is the least important factor in all this, losing 1-2 breakpoints has close to no impact.

Last edited:
I would say that seeing my positioning and the results are both surprising and unsurprising. I had some upgrades immediately after sending in the update last time; here's hoping the same will happen this time.

I'm running a lot more than I would have expected going in; I have plenty of stuff to do, which makes D2 more appealing. I have actually had some decent luck! The game has rewarded me on occasion for putting in so much effort, but with people of questionable sanity like Nagisa running between 5 and 40 hours each day, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up. I suspect the lead might already be insurmountable.

That being said, I really feel like my luck has been on the poor side given how much I've played. The average number of bosspacks on my map has gradually gotten lower throughout the MFO, and the rate of qualifiers is very discouraging. I haven't had an increase in score since ~12 hours after the first results were posted. I'd like to think if I keep smashing and horking for hours at a time, something nice will drop... but this is D2, so I'm not optimistic.

But really, thinking about it, it would only take a couple of good drops for me to have great shot at this! I've mostly just been taking it easy this MFO, so being able to be this close to the top without really trying or investing time means that if I make a strong push, and my luck continues to be as good as it has been, I should be in amazing shape! My top 5 is pretty good for someone who has barely played. I've also gotten some good advice from maareek that I think is going to help me finish strong, so look out!

Good luck to all the competitors as we race to the finish. Hopefully none of you have to encounter the rotten luck I've been having 😞

Reactions: Trim and PhineasB
Team Happy Three Friends
yIi334at.jpg

Flippy/@Babyhell

r5UGv4Bt.jpg

Sniffles/@LiquidClear

QyKsBgkt.jpg

Lumpy/@Kstil3227

Time to make a statement on teams too!

Team Happy Three Friends is
1st, 3rd and 3rd

Team Lazybones is
4th, 6th and 2nd

Team Filthy Casuals is
5th, 9th and 4th

Well... you'd just better give up Lazybones and Filthy casuals...it's pretty clear that we are dismembering... your hopes (to be polite).

So get yourself a happy week-end, take a rest, play other video games, maybe even take some time with your family, but hey, at least it would be more useful than trying to make anything happen!

@PhineasB @Pb_pal @Nano @Luhkoh @Vildecor @CaseyJones

Grrrr. Can't say I'm surprised about that placement. Give me better items Diablo!!!!
If I may, running Diablo when you signed up for a85 might be your problem. No, it's okay, you don't have to thank me, I'll just take credit for your victory and we can call it even.

On a related note, I'm now firmly on team TheReadMenace. My support is subject to change based on final placement and/or bribes.

@ffs fair enough, glossed over the link when reading your post. But now I remember it a bit from back when you first posted it. Makes sense. Who knows, maybe ill have a boatload of 7mf + cold or light res charms before a stupid fathom drops :p.

I've also gotten some good advice from maareek that I think is going to help me finish strong, so look out!
I'd just like to point out that this advice is available for purchase. It's also available for free, but payments are absolutely accepted.

Looking at the rankings so far, I can't help but feel bad for the coat. He tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it frozzzen even matter.

Interesting races all around, and the top 5 of a85 right now has two croatian gods, an insane amount of MFO victories and the goodoldtimesgisa going full tilt at the AT windmill. What a time to be around for! Oh, and behind those 5 are still insane-tier contenders who can definitely come back and take the podium once they reach the finish line? I'll be making a big tub of popcorn, cause dis gone b gud! And I'll keep the ketchup handy, cause you can never count froz out, *especially* when he says you should.

This continues to suitably represent my A85 luck so far:
E2NQ1.png

I went to eat some leftover curry with rice, but after a week or so in the fridge it had started to grow green and fuzzy, so I threw it out. Also, I changed the cats' litter box, and I tossed an empty shampoo bottle into the garbage.

There. I have engaged in some "trash talk." Perhaps now my drops will improve this weekend?

Shame @Gripphon isn't in or would that be one too many? :D
I think the shame would be if grip was in, cause this seems like a nice competitive event and I'd hate for everyone in the category to be in 11th place behind the one true d2 god.

There. I have engaged in some "trash talk." Perhaps now my drops will improve this weekend?
Flawless. I think that deserves some significant upgrades.

Reactions: Swamigoon
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High