Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Do you have a link to the TL;DR paragraph?

Ah Guaiacol, I did some unpublished research with that. TL;DR from my research: It has many many crystalline forms (polymorphs) that all form pretty randomly, some more than others... I think I discovered like 5 of them. The smell sticks on you all day, too.

For the linked article, the full thing is open on the webpage when I take the link... If you don't have access or something you can send me a pdf but it seems like it's open to anyone. The abstract is the first paragraph, here:

Whisky is distilled to around 70% alcohol by volume (vol-%) then diluted to about 40 vol-%, and often drunk after further slight dilution to enhance its taste. The taste of whisky is primarily associated with amphipathic molecules, such as guaiacol, but why and how dilution enhances the taste is not well understood. We carried out computer simulations of water-ethanol mixtures in the presence of guaiacol, providing atomistic details on the structure of the liquid mixture. We found that guaiacol is preferentially associated with ethanol, and, therefore, primarily found at the liquid-air interface in mixtures that contain up to 45 vol-% of ethanol. At ethanol concentrations of 59 vol-% or higher, guaiacol is increasingly surrounded by ethanol molecules and is driven to the bulk. This indicates that the taste of guaiacol in the whisky would be enhanced upon dilution prior to bottling. Our findings may apply to other flavour-giving amphipathic molecules and could contribute to optimising the production of spirits for desired tastes. Furthermore, it sheds light on the molecular structure of water-alcohol mixtures that contain small solutes, and reveals that interactions with the water may be negligible already at 89 vol-% of ethanol.

Kind of goes without saying, only a fool drinks anything without first doing a round of computer simulations of its atomistic details. We're not savages.

So my story got a like, anyone else read it and want to comment on it?

So depending on those things in whiskey the taste changes with added water, so adding water might be better for some whiskeys and not so good for others.

Even though i've only recently had a holiday i could use another one.

@kamap: I've made a start with that Excel thingy. Not very far yet. Was thinking i'd make some progress today at work, but somehow they actually made me work so it'll have to wait a bit.

I'm also still tinkering with it, haven't gotten it to work properly yet, the 50-30 and other down ones that still let you play at the higher level before you need to drop down again are giving me problems still.

Ah Guaiacol, I did some unpublished research with that. TL;DR from my research: It has many many crystalline forms (polymorphs) that all form pretty randomly, some more than others... I think I discovered like 5 of them. The smell sticks on you all day, too.

For the linked article, the full thing is open on the webpage when I take the link... If you don't have access or something you can send me a pdf but it seems like it's open to anyone. The abstract is the first paragraph, here:

oh look you're still an effing nerd.

Depending on what the **** stands for that might not be such a good idea especially if your using acids or other chemicals that combust when they dry out or come in contact with fluids.

You'll be in severe pain if you carry out that plan.

Don't forget radioactive elements.

Kind of sad this weekend that I have mandatory overtime when I completed today's work in 5 hours and had nothing to do for three....

*serves Dew

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*serves bourbon

*serves water

*serves long island iced tea

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High