Awww...I missed you too, D2 - Item Find Thread April 2019

I have a level 58 Bowzon, that I am remaking because I turned my last one into a Javazon, right after I found a Griffon's :p. My favorite character to use and have used 90% of the time, has been a Sorceress.. particularly Blizzard since 1.10, But that was because she was great to start over and find gear easily. When it comes to characters geared up perfectly, Bow Amazons are by far the most fun for me. 1.09 did that for me lol.

So I have a long project ahead, in order to get a Bowzon that can clear places in Hell like CS, Pits, Baal, Cows, etc.

I just wanted to show you guys the two bows I had found, at least one needed an upgrade for sure. I know it may be awhile before I get a Faith or Windforce, unless I decide to trade. So now I have taken the two best rare bows I have found and thought I would share them and maybe ask what you guys thought about them and which is the best for a Glass Bowzon that is a 70-80% Strafer, occasionally Multi Arrow in called for situations and then Frozen Arrow on my left click. I use Cat's Eye 30%, 3x Helm 45%, Lava Gout 20% Twitch 20% (Fortitude will be coming soon though). So 115% right now and then 95% after a Fortitude gets slapped on.

Which bow makes the most sense :confused:. Keep in mind, I have socket quests available and could add an ED/IAS Jewel, an OHM, Nef, Shael or other options to the Spider Bow. I can also take out the two jewels in the MAT Bow and put in better jewels, such as ED/IAS, Damage Jewels, OHM Runes, Nef, etc. The MAT Bow has 2x Jewels that are mainly used for the ED%, so the ED rate on the base bow was more in the 250-260% range.

The 10% IAS on the Mat Bow, is obviously a stat that spawned on the bow.

Here they are:

MAT BOW
View attachment 52283

SPIDER BOW
View attachment 52284

The Spider Bow is better for sure. Socket it with an Ohm. 40 IAS from gloves and amulet is enough. There are some good utility helmets like Tal Rasha, Kiras, Vampire Gaze, even Shako. That's about it.

Yeah, that's a dope spider bow. Since you are using strafe you don't need to mind your ias as much. Also, do you have knockback at all? For a glass cannon strafer that's pretty essential. I would consider crafting some knockback/ias gloves or even socketing your bow with a nef.

Finally do you know that strafe is bugged? I think you could devote more gear towards dmg per hit rather than huge amounts of ias that will only impact your multi/FA damage. Also, once you get some knockback you won't need as much ias for FA for those difficult 'oh crap' moments.

p.s. this is really making me want to do an untwinked glass cannon strafer

@Delsy @Jocular

Thank you for input! I will definitely go for a socket on the Spider Bow then. I have lots of unique/rare bows, but the only thing I can get to out perform this, is WF or Faith, which is a ways off, unless I felt like dismantling other characters and adding the gear all to my Bowzon.

I assumed the damage was far superior, seeing how I use Strafe almost all of the time.

As far as the Strafe Bug @Jocular , are you referring to not being able to the discrepancy between the server side speed and what we see on our screen? I can't believe that is still unfixed -.-. So I can hit 3fpa, instead of the 2pfa my stats read and that my screen looks his happening? I know it was like that a long time ago, I kind of assumed it was fixed by now lol. Appreciate the heads up, as I had forgotten about it or how it even worked.

@Jocular is there any possible way you could inform me on the amount of %IAS on gear and %IAS on the Spider and Mat Bow? (Mat Bow for curious, I'm going Spider thanks to you lol. I am wondering if my screen was showing 2FPA with MAT and 3FPA with SPIDER, when in reality both were hitting 3 where it mattered lol.

So any idea on IAS would be awesome, if you have the time to hook me up with some numbers that you may have memorized or know how to get really fast. I get confused by the calculators when I go on breaks from playing. I would love the quickest possible Strafe with that Spider Bow, as I likely will have it for a long time as I continue to quest through.

Also thank you for the idea of crafting knockback gloves! This will allow me to put something far more useful in the Spider Bow, which I assume that we are on the same page when it comes to throwing hole punch into it! I have a question or two bout that as well. Will I be able to 'OHM' the bow, while still hitting top speed breakpoints with the bow? Should I use the highest ED%/15IAS% Jewel that I have? Should I use the best, rare ~30%ED/STR/DEX/???? type of Jewel? If 'OHM' allows for me to hit best BP, particularly STRAFE'S, I feel that is undoubtedly the best, once I find me another one... I am broke in the rune department ATM.

I have maybe a low 30's/15% IAS Jewel at my disposal, but I would only use it to hit the best BP and I would rather save it for a non weapon slot. I have a few decent ED/MAX Jewels, but I'm pretty sure it would do the damage bug on the Spider Bow I have (check stats again if you want). I have a 30some%ED/10 Min Damage, but am not sure if that bugs the bow that already has min damage. I have other rare jewels with ED/Elemental Damage/a Stat, Min Damage/Elemental Damage/Stats, ones with lots of elemental damage or lots of stats...

I guess I mainly want to know if the 366ED Spider Bow is worth the socket quest, worth an Ohm or high quality Jewel, what the bug Is plus how to avoid wasting resources without realizing it and how to max out my speeds on mainly Strafe, a quick FA/MA would be cool, but doesn't have to be highest BP. I want the speed to matchup with the nice damage :)

Sorry for long pots. Thanks for helping me out, as I took a little break from D2 for a few months or longer. But you have always been one the few people who has jumped through hoops and gone above and behind, just to help me out with some questions and confusions I have had about the game. You are a wonderful person.

I just got into LK running for my barb 99er. Spent a while getting a decent map, then started running. Then, that happened, roughly 200 runs in.

View attachment 52285

Ber pattern #2. 1/3 of Enigma done. I'm backing-up my data tonight.

@Jamie

Yep, that's exactly the strafe bug I'm talking about. As far as I'm aware it's still buggy, I haven't read anything that says anything to the contrary.

It's hard to say if the spider bow is worth a socket. It's a nice bow, and won't be outmatched except by the big guns (wf, faith, really lucky rare). If it was me, I'd probably socket it. But I wouldn't put an ohm or a fancy jewel in it unless you have some extra that you want to use up. Just any 30+% enhanced dmg jewel you've got will work. Also, the enhanced dmg/max/min dmg jewel bug is only for armor, they work fine for weapons. Basically, don't socket armor pieces with jewels that have both ed% and +min or +max dmg.

I played around with the German weapon speed calc, and you could either go for 75% ias for 9fpa normal attacks and 5/3/7fpa strafe (first arrow/interim arrows/final arrow). Or 50%ias for 10fpa normal attacks and 5/3/8 strafe. Try playing around with both. Once you have knockback you may find the slower breakpoint to be fine.

For Matriarchal bows, you only need 45ias to get 9fpa normal attacks and 5/3/7fpa strafe.

For gear, you could try:

Amulet: 20ias, cats eye
Helm: 45ias
Gloves: 20ias, kb gloves
Bow: enhanced dmg jewel

What I personally would advocate for would be atma's amulet if at all possible, and then doing:

Belt: 10ias (nosferatu, or goldwrap)
Gloves: 20ias
Helm: 45ias

However, have you thought about using Buriza? It probably will do more dps than the spider bow once you're higher level (above level 75ish) if you have one with high ed%. And you only need 60%ias to hit 7/3/4/4/10fpa strafe and 12fpa normal attacks. Or only 25%ias if you don't mind having 13fpa normal attacks. I used one for a while, they do fantastic damage. It can be difficult getting used to the slow attack speed, though.

The Spider Bow is better for sure. Socket it with an Ohm. 40 IAS from gloves and amulet is enough. There are some good utility helmets like Tal Rasha, Kiras, Vampire Gaze, even Shako. That's about it.
As long as you don't have knockback yet, I would socket it with Nef. Regarding knockback, I would try getting a Giant Skull (which also combines nicely with Faith). Hitpower gloves are an option, too, but I think LoH's 350% vs. demons are too good for a bowazon to be given up for any other gloves imaginable.

Welp, a few more nice goodies came up. Still grinding LK for runes, but none that matters appaered. However, popping racks have proven to be efficient.

First, I got an eth Balrog Skin. Ebugged it and got :

Pretty solid base for my future merc's Fortitude.

Then, I popped another rack and, well, the game got generous :

A twinked paladin will be happy down the road.

Finally, I decided to do some Pit runs, just to see if I could get good bases for myself; I'm looking for an armor for Enigma and at least two Phase Blades. And, after three runs, waddaya know :

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good !

So, the highlights of my last two sittings is : 1 Ber, 1 eth 4os Balrog Skin, 1HoZ and 1 3os Archon Plate. Not bad.

@Arctodus congrats those are some great finds! I will suggest you consider a different base for your eventual enigma. I'm not sure what your end game build is and if you've already considered this then ignore me completely :). But for me, archon plate is too high a str req for enigma. Will you plan to use your enigma on multiple characters? If so, I would suggest not using an armor with str req > ~84 (wyrmhide), since you need 156 for monarch and enigma grants a max of 74. Mage plate is probably the most common choice and what I chose myself since it looks ok, is a decent compromise between def and str req, and saves SOME stat points on non-monarch characters. But you can make a good argument for breast plate, mage plate, and dusk shroud all being best choices. Or even light plate or ring mail if you want lower str req but hate the looks of breast plate.

Also Lk is great place to find one of these bases since you can repair low quality versions of any of them (these drop a lot from random poppables, though i dont remember if any of the elite versions do) in the cube (this will reroll the defense), and then they should have 50% chance to roll 3os when socketed in cube afterwards. Happy hunting! Especially jealous of that hoz.

@Arctodus nice finds! Though you are not be able to use HoZ on your UT barb ;)

I also cast my vote on Mage Plate for Enigma btw, at least for your first and if you wanna use it on multiple/diverse chars/builds later on :)

@Luhkoh @drmalawi Thanks for the suggestion, guys ! What you’re saying is quite true, even more when you consider the fact that Enigma is adding integral defense, not percentage defense. With it’s strength bonus, I’ll be able to wear everything else on my build, even my eventual G Face at my level. And it just so happen that I already have a 3os Mage Plate. :p The newbie is learning !

@Arctodus glad it was helpful! Archon plate is more common choice on bnet or elsewhere where torch and anni are available, but for sp it's not the best "general" use choice anyways. I remember @Babyhell made one in AP and turned around and made a second enigma days later :p

@Jocular great advice. Much appreciated. I do have a Ballista, but it is pretty low ED I believe. Even with the extra DPS, I just absolutely hate using crossbows and shooting like a sloth. One of my favorite part about Bowzons, is the mad arrows flying everywhere. The faster the arrows shoot, the more fun I'm having lol.

I have been hoping to find a Giant Skull for quite a long time now, to no avail, unfortunately. Since I am in A3 NM right now, I will probably just throw a 'Nef' in the Spider Bow for now, knowing the damage and speed is plenty good enough to get through Nightmare.

I wasn't sure if Razortail was a must for a bowzon, like it seems to be for a Javazon. I do have 7 raw points into Pierce though, so over half of my arrows are piercing and when I use Frozen Arrow, it seems like it almost always penetrates in and freezes the entire pack, even before I put Razortail on her. I do have a Nosferatu's.

I actually do have an Atma's waiting in my stash. I do love the amplify damage. I am only level 58 at the moment though, so couple more levels until I can use it.

As far as gloves, I have Lavagout's on her right now. They add 20%IAS and the enchant is nice. I see one person mentioned that LoH are too good to give up for 20IAS/KB Gloves, although I think a pair of KB Gloves with some good extra mods is hard to top. I guess I can have both on hand and depending on what area I am running, I can swap between the two. The only issue is that it could be ages until I get a Giant Skull, which I would really enjoy.

So right now I have 105% IAS (Cat's Eye/Twitch/ed-45IAS Hat/Lava Gout). So if I am reading you correctly, I can drop my IAS by quite a bit, down to 75%? This will allow me to put on Atma's for now and throw a Nef Rune in my Spider Bow, allowing me to hit the lowest, non-bugged BP and also having the coveted Knockback? Am I understanding this correctly?

My helm only has 41%ED/45%IAS/28 LIFE, as I didn't want to necessarily waste my best ED/IAS Jewels on that Helmet. So that could be swapped out down the road as well. I also plan on switching out Twitch for Fort and the Spider Bow for a Faith or WF, but much further down the road. I only have one Fort, which will become hers when I get a new one for my Zealdin. I have 3x Sur Runes and 1x Vex and then way down to tons of Ums/Puls/etc. I spent all of my HRs on things like Enigma/Infinity/Fortitude/Death/Grief/etc. So I will probably have to go on an LK or Trav sprint and hope to get one more Sur, a Vex or an Ohm, or even better a Ber.

But one last thing, is dropping the 105% IAS down to something 75%IAS or above, the proper move here, once I hit level 60 and can use Atma's? And then adding the 'Nef' into the Spider Bow for KB? Thanks again for being patient with me and my shoddy knowledge of the current state of D2, lol.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't drop too low on the IAS or that I go way too overboard on the IAS and that the 75% BP is the highest I should be at, according to your research, that I am very gracious for!

Last edited:
@Jamie

I sorta assumed you didn't have LoH since you were using Lavagout instead. LoH is definitely a better slot, especially considering that the best crafted knockback gloves won't offer more than 30 total stats (15dex/15str), equivalent to 30 dex, or 30%enhanced damage. Compared to the 350% enhanced to demons...LoH are the best, @krischan is right.

You're correct that 75% ias while using the spider bow would let you have the best IAS breakpoint, and that you could achieve this by either using Nosferatu or Cats Eye, and your 45% ias helm, as well as LoH.

I would recommend this gearing for the moment:

Helm: 45%ias
Amulet: Atma's
Weapon: Spider bow w/ Nef
Belt: Nosferatu/Razortail
Gloves: LoH

Swap between Nosferatu and Razortail to see which one is more beneficial. Both help with survivability/damage in different ways. Nosferatu helps you fire off FA faster, and strafe faster (barely, just by 1 frame per entire strafe cast), but Razortail helps your FA/strafe pierce everything, increasing damage or freezing. It will probably feel nicer to use Nosferatu simply for the faster FA/multi (and be safer for those 'oh crap' moments when you need to throw some FA), but I would bet you'll do more damage with Razortail, even if you lose a breakpoint.

Before you socket that spider bow, you could also try using an upped Witchwild String. It's a solid strafing bow, and only needs 70%ias for 9fpa normal attack and 9/3 strafe.

With a shael/nef in the bow, you could use your 45%ias helm, LoH, razortail, and Atma's to hit this breakpoint easily. Due to its somewhat lower damage, you will find yourself basically waiting to see amp proc. This is in contrast to the spider bow's much higher average damage that can kill un-amped monsters much more easily. But, with WWS having 95% deadly strike (after a minor investment into the skill critical strike) and a higher amp proc %, who knows which will be better.

But, I have a feeling the Spider bow will do more damage. 366% ed is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
@Jocular I have quite a few LoHs, I just need to level a bit more before I can use one. I also upp'd my highest Witchwild String Bow at the same time I was swapping around equipment and upgrading/working on the rare bows. The damage difference is just so high, although I of course realize Deadly Strike is loaded on that bow. I just prefer the rare, one of kind rare bows, with far more damage, than the WWS. I upgraded one of my WWS just to see what the damage looked like and it is significantly lower than the two rare bows I have at my disposal. I also have Ballista, Eaglehorn and I believe every unique bow or crossbow, outside of Windforce, of course lol. I find it will be a tall task to get a bow better than the Spider Bow, before I muster up the runes for Faith or find, or MAYBE trade for, a Windforce.

As far as LoH versus a sick pair of KB gloves, I have an idea. I can use LoH when I am running areas where the massive ED% is applicable, while I can use crafted gloves in areas where most of the monsters aren't taking the massive ED boost. This will give me some versatility. How many monsters actually are demons and take the extra damage, in the main areas of running for the Bowzon I am making? Places like Cows, Worldstone-Baal, CS-Diablo, Trav, Pits, AT maybe, Crypt/Mausoleum, Eldritch/Shenk/Threshsocket/Pindle and the levels leading to Nithlaak(sp?)(I found my Death's Fathom, Griffon's and a Unique Sacred Armor in the very first level down the stairs after Pindle, most underrated place in the game IMO).

I will use LoH when I get to a high enough level, but I am also going to go on a crafting spree for 20%IAS/KB gloves and hopefully they have at least 20 or 25+ stats. It has been a minute, but are the mods of LL/ML, +Amazon Tree Skills, Life, %CtC or other desirable mods, possible on crafting KB gloves? I am not sure if I can get better additional mods than just STR/DEX or if those mods can be swapped out for other mods that are very good, since the IAS/KB/STR/DEX takes up the mods. I thought some of the ones I listed could be nice, but since I only remember people only ever looking for 15/15, I'm guessing I am fishing for something impossible.

The 75% IAS on the Spider Bow was such Huuuuuge information for me, though. All of this advice is priceless, as I haven't had a super strong Bowzon since 1.09 and a mediocre one in 1.10. When 1.10 came out and Bowzons went from destructive, to leech hardly working(since improved, although not 1.09 LL/ML) and a strong Bowzon requiring massive wealth, I shied away from them and played far more Sorceresses, Dins, Nado Druids, etc.

@Jamie

Rare bows are my weakness too, I usually spend all my gold gambling for bows :D

As far as LoH vs KB gloves, I get the feeling you'd like to use the crafted gloves for L33Tness, which is fair! But given the number of demons you'll run into, LoH is impossible to replace. The best offensive mods you could hope for on some gloves would be +15str/+15dex/20ias/mana or life leech. You could also get +2passive or +2bow, but I would think mana leech or life leech would be more useful, considering you'll only have one ring slot available. With those mods, you're basically getting less than 10% of the benefit that LoH gives. Sure, your crafted gloves' benefits affects all monsters, but demons are quite common. You'll find a bunch in Worldstone, CS, Pits, Eldritch/Shenk/Thresh. Pit running really is where a bowa shines for mfing in my opinion, and there's demons galore there.

Though, if you use knockback gloves with ias you would be able to use razortail instead of nosferatu or goldwrap since your bow's socket wouldn't be used up with a nef.

And I know your heart is set on the faster ias breakpoint, but I do recommend trying out the 50% ias breakpoint in order to make use of razortail. Atma's+strafe+100% pierce with the right Pits map (lots of tight passageways) makes for quick runs.

@Shuffleblast not sure what you mean. Str bugging it on there? That is certainly an option, just one I find tedious, a bit cheesy, and having very little benefit. Always afraid ill die and not be able to pick up the gear, but I suppose one can work around that too.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High