Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

@Serdash @Jamie Right. I don't want to use my BlizzSorc there because she is currently geared up for Travincal, and the setup is quite different. And the Meteorb can do Pit/Pindle, but can't do Travincal (I don't have Infinity). I also like the Fireball/Meteor combination a lot better, just got very used to it.

And still, the doubts would be the same: what's the recommended run/walk setup, how many skillers is enough, runtimes to aim for, etc.

About Halls->Nihlatak, Jamie, what exactly do you do? Kill Pindle then enter the temple and clear all areas? Or teleport straight to Nihlatak? Also, do I need Infinity for that? I don't know the immunities in those areas, I almost never do the Nihla quest tbh.

@rafquad Optimizing hdin is too big a problem to really solve because it depends on what proportion of exp/runes/mf you would prefer. But I can talk about a few ways I might choose to run him and why you might choose that. Full clearing is pretty much never worth it in d2 (unless it's just for fun of course), so that is most definitely the primary difference in your runtimes.
  1. run on p7, hit all boss packs you see, clear the 3 seal bosses, clear diablo. Should take 2:30 to 3min ish. This is my favorite chill chaos running with the hdin. Good mix of all 3 of mf, rf, and exp. And you get essences, which I am always in need of. You can ofc also skip the boss packs on the way if you don't care as much about mf'ing for the really rare tc87 items. Many variations.
  2. hit all boss packs on p1 or p3, and do none of the seal bosses or diablo. I never see anyone doing this, and for a decent reason. This is like an mf-focused CS-hdin, which would work fine, but you can pretty easily exceed the efficiency of this in the pit or by running a different pit/AT runner. But still if you like grailing in CS with hdin, it's most definitely an option.
  3. RFL-style runs. P7. Do extended tele to pentagram, but hit all packs of 3+ stormcasters (dont have to be boss packs) that you see on the way. Runs probably take a little less than a minute. Clear the vizier seal, save and exit. This is rune focused run that many have done for RFL round 3 in the past. I don't recommend it unless you are doing RFL round 3, because it leaves a lot of the table with MF/exp and the rf potential can, again, be exceed with other characters in other areas, but its a good option.
  4. 2-seal aka gripphon runs. You run on p8, extended tele to pentagram, clear vizier and infector packs as well as any boss packs you see between those 2 seals. Runs probably take around a minute. This is the best way to gain exp up until 97. While not as rune-efficient as #3, this is the second best option for runes on this list, and you do have a pretty decent rate of finding runes this way.
  5. all 3 seals on p8 as well as any boss packs you happen to see near those seals, and diablo on p7. Maybe 2 minute runs? Been a while since I've done them so don't quote me on that. This is the best way to get exp at lvl 97.
  6. p1 seals, p7 diablo. This is the best way to get exp (in CS anyways, usually nihlathak runs are a bit more efficient), at lvl 98. I don't think anyone does these "p1/p7" runs unless they are lvl 98. I see no reason to.
  7. Some people do all the seals and then do that "seal-popping" trick that is allowed but discouraged in the SPF, before hitting diablo. Honestly I don't even understand why people do this if they have an hdin powerful enough to do #1. Doesn't seem to offer much, if any, extra to me, and is definitely worse from an mf perspective. But thought it deserved a mention because a lot of people who play D2 not on the SPF seem to do this type of run a lot.
Nice. 7 types of runs. Very diabloesque.

On your sorc, theres also a lot to cover (haha I'm feeling wordy). This is absolutely not a hard and fast rule, and there are many exceptions, but as far as charms go, this is a good place to start from. If doing p1 mf-ing, usually don't use any skillers and stack max mf. If doing some p7 or p8 runs for mf/rf/exp then throw in a bunch of skillers and try and maintain like 300ish mf. I'm not sure what pindle times you should be looking for with an infinity-less meteorb. 20ish seconds sounds fairly reasonable to me, but these hybrids realllly take off (even on p1) after infinity. It basically nearly doubles the fire spells' dmg. And even then still have a tough time competing with infinity-less blizz. But ofc can be fun to play something besides blizz, and they can get the job done quite well.

As far as pits go, I assume you have cta? If not, definitely get one for her. And then I would think you can shoot for runs in the 70-80ish seconds range on p1 with high mf. Just a rough estimate, but you get better and better at focusing on the bosses only and learning where they'll be. And then infinity will take a significant time off that too. I wouldn't recommend doing higher psettings in pits with her till after infinity.

There you go, just some thoughts. You may find other stuff you like more or that works for you, and if you do, definitely post about it for us!

Last edited:
I have a lvl 22 untwinked Paladin Zealot in Act II and can't get past Duriel

Best strategies I've seen are for Hammerdins. Duriel (normal) 3,995 HP
I'll list the base stats of most of what I have. Wondering if I should respec or keep looking for gear

Stats:

Str: 75/77
Dex: 30/40
Vital: 70/70
Zeal Damage: 55-110

HP: 240
Def: 163
MF: 50%
Zeal AR - 538
Block Rate: 23%

Weapon: Gleamscythe
Boots: 10% FHR, 25% poison reduct.
Ring: Half Freeze
Shield: low resists, 25% poison reduct. (I have a spare empty 2 socket shield saving in case I come across a decent jewel)

Resists: Fire 29%/Cold 10%/Light 38%/Poison 3%

Merc;
Weapon: Beast Song (actual damage) 34-109
Def: 332
300 HP
Resists: 42% all

Last edited:
What's your block % looking like? Maybe go back and hit some more monsters until you can get holy shield and block his hits better. Open up a safety TP to run back and heal when needed.

You could also find something to make a low level runeword in that gives chance for open wounds and wait him out (I think Steel or Malice gives this modifier)

EDIT: Also if I remember, a Falchion isn't exactly a fast weapon by any means. Not that you need to be hitting a 4 frame zeal at level 22 or anything, but Duriel hits hard and fast, so I'm my experience being able to dish out more hits in less time is a sufficient help as well

EDIT 2: This was something I shopped in Act 2 Normal long ago. Base block chance for a paladin is 50% IIRC, plus the 27% from Deflecting/Eld Rune. With your stats this would come out to ~43% chance to block if my calculations are right. Better than zero, not quite 75%, but you're looking at blocking half the hits Duriel throws at you. If you happen to grind to level 24 and drop a point in holy shield and your stat points in dex it should pull you around ~66% chance to block with HS up.

Lots of options to get high block and handle duriel.

Mechanic's Bone Shield of Deflecting
Bone Shield
Defense: 25
Chance to Block: 27
Durability: 38 of 40
Required Level: 11
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x581da82e
Item Level: 20
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+30% Faster Block Rate
27% Increased Chance of Blocking
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Eld Rune

Last edited:
Reactions: McGruber08
@McGruber08 Your cold resist is way too low, most of Duriel's damage is cold so you would do well to add about 25% or so cold resist and drink thawing potions before going for Duriel (each potion gives 30s duration) since they give +50% Cold Res. and +10% max. Cold Res.

A good portion of normal Duriel's damage comes from holy freeze and resists will help mitigate some of it. You can use a few thawing potions to boost the paladin's cold resist. The resistance does not stack, but the duration does.

I'll second Serdash on the weapon, Gleamscythe is quite subpar. You probably have runes for Steel (Tir + El) which you can make in 2 Socket Swords/Axes/Maces. Look for a Military Pick, Scimitar, Long Sword or Flail because all of those have good base weapon speed.

Edit: rekt by art.

What's your block % looking like? Maybe go back and hit some more monsters until you can get holy shield and block his hits better. Open up a safety TP to run back and heal when needed.

You could also find something to make a low level runeword in that gives chance for open wounds and wait him out (I think Steel or Malice gives this modifier)

EDIT: Also if I remember, a Falchion isn't exactly a fast weapon by any means. Not that you need to be hitting a 4 frame zeal at level 22 or anything, but Duriel hits hard and fast, so I'm my experience being able to dish out more hits in less time is a sufficient help as well

Block is 23% I'll add that into the stats
Yeah the falchion is the only unique I have, I need to upgrade it, I need FR/W speed to.

Reactions: Serdash
Block is 23% I'll add that into the stats
Yeah the falchion is the only unique I have, I need to upgrade it, I need FR/W speed to.
I made a second edit to my post including a budget blocking shield that can be shopped in act 2 normal.

Steel or Malice are by far my favorite low level runewords. Steel is nice dinner it gives you enhanced damage, attack speed, and open wounds. You can still shop reasonable speed socketed items from Charsi and Fara at this point.

Best of luck!

I forgot about easy runewords! And the thawing potions for that matter. I'll look for charms and items that increase my cold resistance. What''s a good normal base for Steel runeword?

Maybe I could make Stealth or a budget shield like Ancient's Pledge

I forgot about easy runewords! And the thawing potions for that matter. I'll look for charms and items that increase my cold resistance. What''s a good normal base for Steel runeword?

Maybe I could make Stealth or Ancient's Pledge to
Stealth is always good IMO, gives some FHR and other nice stuff. For Steel I use whatever is available. Flails are nice if you can find one, they just have really low minimum damage, but they're relatively fast. I agree that a Longsword or Military Pick would also be sufficient.

I just realized I can't make Ancient's Pledge yet because of the ORT rune (22), Duriel is the only one who could drop it. Thanks, I'm going to make Stealth and Steel.

I just realized I can't make Ancient's Pledge yet because of the ORT rune (22), Duriel is the only one who could drop it. Thanks, I'm going to make Stealth and Steel.
Yeah that's why I was recommending that Mechanics Bone Shield of Deflecting. No resists but helps tank those nasty physical hits

@Luhkoh thanks a bunch for the in-depth response! I am mainly looking for Runes and XP, but since CS is a lvl85 area and I do have over 270% MF, can't hurt to take that into consideration as well. But as far as picking a "run option" I'd definitely favor runes and XP, for precisely the reason you mentioned: if I'm just looking for uniques it's best to just go to the Pit, and I do have 522% MF in my Meteorb and also a Pit Zerker to farm there at p1. I have already done a few hundred runs with each of them, to get the "gist" of focusing only in bosses. Got the unique zerker axe a few days ago with the barb!

So, looking at your suggestions, the "chill run" and options #3 and #4 are what I will try. Don't know what the seal trick is, but sounds cheesy and unfun, haha.

Infinity for the Meteorb is one of my goals, yes. I'm a Sur short of cubing the last Ber for Infinity, which is why I was looking to do CS with the Hammerdin. As soon as I get Infinity I'll try her in lots of places, and also start doing Arcane Sanctuary with either her or my LF/Strafe zon (which I will be able to respec to pure lit).

Thanks again for the response :)

Reactions: PhineasB
Steel and Stealth ruled the day with a 3 chipped sapphire shield and a few thawing potions.

I settled for a sabre as a base, got impatient looking for a 2 socket flail or longsword.

Thanks again everyone! On to Act 3!

@rafquad absolutely! Was fun to type them out. Had never really thought about how many different ways you might run one. Good luck on your runs!

Ewww Saber. :p

GG on the progress though. The rest should be smooth sailing from here.
I got a flail now with 2 sockets so things are going smoother ;-)

My merc almost survived the fight but i went to try to go through the door to Tyreal (saw an odd YouTube video where I guess at one point you could) and he died bravely!

I'm using a Phoenix Striker, she's now at lvl 78. Normally I hot key Pheonix Strike, Claws of Thunder, Fists of Fire and Blades of Ice on F1-F4 respectively, and on F6 Dragon Claw for my finisher.

I've read on a guide that "Phoenix strike works well with Fists of Fire, but not with Claws of Thunder. Wondering what hotkeys & combos other use.

I also (when I remember) use death sentry on the bodies for extra effect, but often forget in the heat of things. Recently just added Mind Blast to make her even more effective when hordes come in

I'm thinking about Zod-bugging eth Scissor Suwayas from 1.07 for a nice WWsin, but those have to be eth 15%ed to be worth it and I just racked a Berserkeraxe with 15ed eth and know how unlikely that is.

And then She would have to wear another one to be frankly because I don't think I want to wait for a godly eth rare claw.

Expensive? For sure, but I like WWsin even without atmabugged claws this build is nice.

@McGruber08
I don't have much advice for you, but I know that the shadow warrior can cast CoS and CoS causes crashes at ancients and other places so you need to consider that.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High