Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

It's not so much that I need the guide (I'm about 8000 runs in since I switched to blizz from whirler), but more that I like the level of analysis that he puts into his efforts.

@Mezion - Quoi de neuf? :)
Toujours occuper avec l'université et stages. Kind of wish I made smarter choices earlier on but oooh well too late for that :p Also sorry for the late reply.

Edit: Recently tried the Broodwar remaster since I was also playing bw now and then, I kind of like the result. I wonder if we'll get a remaster for D2 as well.

I'm getting really irate at Blizzard's inept implementation of minion charges. Every time I level up, my Valkyrie (from Harmony) disappears and I expect it will also happen to my Clay Golem (from Stone) when I reach the required level. I'm Normal Baal running so I level up very quickly right now, but I can see this becoming a chore for the next 40 levels...

This is incredibly annoying...phew, needed to vent!

I respecced my Sept Necro to a traditional summoner, so I could run Pits and Cows with him. Surprised how fast leveling goes from 82 to 85 when doing a Pindle / Cows / Pits routine.

Where do I put my skill points though, besides RS/SM/CE? O yes, and what gear should I use? I'm currently at Shako, Mara's, HotA, Enigma, Spirit, Bul-Kathos' (no SoJ yet), Nagelring, Chancies, Arachnid, War Traveler. Switch CtA / Spirit. Inventory 4 Summoning skillers, Gheeds, rest mf SC. Merc with Insight, CoH, Andariel's. Reasoning for the CoH was that it boosts Might aura, and as such I will get a corpse faster, but perhaps it's better to just give him Fortitude.

I never liked Summoners at all, but with Enigma it's suddenly a very fun build. Especially at cows, where some herding makes for insane slaughtering.

I respecced my Sept Necro to a traditional summoner, so I could run Pits and Cows with him. Surprised how fast leveling goes from 82 to 85 when doing a Pindle / Cows / Pits routine.

Where do I put my skill points though, besides RS/SM/CE? O yes, and what gear should I use? I'm currently at Shako, Mara's, HotA, Enigma, Spirit, Bul-Kathos' (no SoJ yet), Nagelring, Chancies, Arachnid, War Traveler. Switch CtA / Spirit. Inventory 4 Summoning skillers, Gheeds, rest mf SC. Merc with Insight, CoH, Andariel's. Reasoning for the CoH was that it boosts Might aura, and as such I will get a corpse faster, but perhaps it's better to just give him Fortitude.

I never liked Summoners at all, but with Enigma it's suddenly a very fun build. Especially at cows, where some herding makes for insane slaughtering.

I don't think summon gc's are that great, but I might be wrong.

If you have an infinity, be sure to use it on merc. CE is 50% fire and 50% physical damage. Also infinity kills the first monster faster than insight IIRC. You can make insights in bad bases and use them on an iron golem that hopefully doesn't die. Maybe invest some points in golem mastery too.

Are there calculations about fortitude vs treachery dps on mercs? When I played on slashdiablo everyone used treacheries instead of forts.

About the skill points, pump amplify damage if you need more radius.

Because of the +crit on insight, there is no higher damage weapon for act 2 merc. Infinity does help with CE damage, but insight will allow spamming more of it. Treachery makes sense for infinity mercs; more CB. Fort makes more sense with Insight.

Infinity, lowering fire resistance, will likely be more useful as you add players to the game. In a players1 game, however, insight wins pretty easily.

Summon GCs make more sense the longer the games you play. Poison/bone makes more sense with infinity setup, for the greater radius of CE. However, only for leveling. For MF, you'd very likely be better off using MFSCs.

Skill points can be wasted anywhere. Might want a sturdier golem if you go for something crazy, like the infinity golem. Can't remember if it was @Gripphon but I think it was.

Thanks for the input :).

Hmm, I didn't think about Infinity. Might give it a try, although spamming CE without having to worry about mana is convenient. I should have plenty of Insight bases, so I can always give the IG golem a try. Like I said, I'm currently doing a Pindle / Cows / Pit routine most of the times, so games are quite long in term of mf runs. I know, probably not the most efficient, but it's fun.

The intial reason why I respecced this guy was because I wanted to do some cow runs, and mainly with finding HRs in mind, and only mf (still need 2 pieces of the cow king set) as a secondary stat (mf runs will be plenty when the MFO arrives :)). In that respect killing power and speed are most important, mf only comes second. Hence the Summon GCs. Then again merc + CE fest probably are the main reason a Necro kills fast, so in that respect, P&B might make more sense.

I already put some more points into Amp to increase it's radius, but still have plenty of points to spare. Probably going to try to make the Golems sturdier by adding to Golem Mastery.

Btw, if the IG idea doesn't work out well, would a Fire Golem make sense? Right now I'm using Attract in an attempt to herd enemies as much as possible, but iirc high level Fire Golem aggroes enemies from very far too.

Btw, if the IG idea doesn't work out well, would a Fire Golem make sense? Right now I'm using Attract in an attempt to herd enemies as much as possible, but iirc high level Fire Golem aggroes enemies from very far too.

If you want to herd cows, I think some people used bone wall for it.

Because of the +crit on insight, there is no higher damage weapon for act 2 merc. Infinity does help with CE damage, but insight will allow spamming more of it. Treachery makes sense for infinity mercs; more CB. Fort makes more sense with Insight.

You can still have insights meditation if you make an iron golem out of the insight

Edit:

IDK what the forum accepted rule is about double posting, so I'll just insert my post here as an edit.

I finally got my second ber to make an infinity (still lacking Ist though lmao and a base). I don't want to make it in a CV because the base is so bad and I haven't cubed any 4 socket good bases.
I don't know how I feel about using time traveled 1.07 eth bases for it. I forgot how the formula works, so how much better are 1.07 eth weapons than 1.13? Also would oyu guys feel cheesy using one?

Last edited:
1.07 is 50% max damage (of base eth only) added compared to 1.09+

Example:
Base item (1.09 or later) has a damage of 50-100
Ethereal base item (1.09 or later) has a damage of 75-150
Runeword with 200% enhanced damage is used, giving 225-450 damage

Now, we're going to get that same base item in 1.07

Base item (1.07) has a damage of 20-70
Ethereal base item (1.07) has a damage of 20-105 <-- 50% enhanced, but only the max
Forwarded ethereal base item gets base damage updated to 75-150 BUT! The 50% enhanced max stays, listing as 75-225
Runeword with 200% enhanced damage is used, giving 225-525 damage.

Just to brag, here's my 1.07 infinity which still hasn't seen any use:
View attachment 6503

I tried out Infinity on the merc. Definitely seems to make my runs quite some faster. So I figured I'd put my remaining skill points in Golem Mastery, to have a very sturdy IG out of Insight ... only to find out I haven't got points into IG :p . Lol at my own sillyness.

Luckily enough leveling goes fast enough, so I already got to 87.4 . A bit more than half a level of chugging blues.

Btw, blowing up lots and lots of cows at the same time is very funny, but how on earth am I supposed not to miss any drops? Even when holding down alt, I have the impression I'm missing a lot.

If you're on players 7, you could turn it down to players 5 for less clutter and possibly gain running efficiency. Gripphon went this route in round 3 of the RFL tournament. Otherwise, reposition your character to scan the items better, just like in LK. Sometimes I'll hear a rune drop that isn't visible when I hold down alt, and I'll reposition until I can see it.

Reached level 88, so I could finally get an Insight Iron Golem. Works very well :).

For Cows, I tuned down to /p5, which helps, but at times it's still a gigantic flood of items. I also made a habit of positioning to the right, which helps as well. Still, I'm not 100% sure I'm not missing anything. Ah well ..

@Tatterson Agreed. Or a special sound like in PoE. And for HRs as well please !!

My untwinked, self-found Barb has been struggling through Hell Countess runs with crappy gear, but I finally farmed the runes for Oath (and Lawbringer, since I'm Frenzy for now). Buuuut when I tried to socket my 2 potential Oath options (Small Crescents) they both rolled 2 sockets. :(

Where does the Barb who struggles killing in A1 Hell go to farm socketables? If I can get an Oath quickly here, I *might* be able to get some gear set up in time for MFO. Of course this could lead to burning myself out in preparation for MFO before it even starts, but hey, it's a forum tradition unlike any other, so I will still try.

Where's @Gripphon been at? I'm still waiting on his blizzsorc trav writeup!

I actually want to do it sometime but it is quite a job to do... I can offer you this thread and these posts about it. Simply read a bit and you get pretty much everything you need to know about sorc in Travincal.

2017 Winter RFL Signup and Running Thread: 2nd Round

And also this video with gear showdown. Only improvement I made is I made eth Forti for merc and put Cham into eth Steel Shade for merc. Also you can use facet or Ist in 1.07 Shako, I changed between that and Cham. Cham is to make you walk faster when you collect items while minions are still alive, but that is of no use unless you go for sub 20s running.

While doing some reading about ipdr I had an idea all of a sudden : hey, this can be the solution I was looking for an old rabis druid (aldur's set) I have!

Baisically the druid is built around CtC LR upon being struck but I had some problems keeping his HP recovery (damge reduction/LL) high enough.

So far 1-2 test runs seem to work well enough, need to test him on higher setting (P3).

War Travelers or Gore's, when talking pure damage? I'm running CS, or at least trying to. Whacking Big D If I feel like going all out.

Bonus info: I am such a giant smuck...I sold my 50% WT's by accident, was supposed to sell the Waterwalks, or whatever they're called. Just asking in case I find a new pair :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High