1.00 News, Info and Gossip

Finally got 1.00 working again on the new laptop. Time to pick up where I left off. Barb is 85, got one sorc at 70, 3 sorcs at 67 and then a necro, barb and sorc at 57.
@helvete writing in his guide "I dare you to level this far in 1.00 though...." makes it soooo tempting to get that barb up there ^^.

@Tenecabo 85 is only the start. To guarantee that any amulet gamble are a high enough ilvl to possibly get +2 skills, 93 is the goal. It can be done especially if you self multi play with the modified dll. How is the barb and sorc geared?

They are pretty well geared. I should really get the barb a better pike at some point (is just sub 100 dam, but my highest damage pike only has 25 dura). I don't use the sorc much anymore, the barb face rolls through anything including Hephaesto (I only skip him if he's mana burn/teleport combo). Almost 86 on the barb now. Yes I self multi with 8 clients.

I'll post his gear when I get home tonight.
The main reason I want him at 91 is for the +3 skill tab crafts in 1.07. I will keep the lower barb in 1.00 and he will be my main 1.00 guy.

Last edited:
Yeah teleporting/MB/might Hephasto is dangerous and annoying for sure. I just avoided him at > 87 because a death meant he was too dangerous to retrieve your corpse.

Please don't mind my horrible paint skills.

View attachment 12646

Also, funny enough pretty much right after @helvete mentioned the champ pack I got an urdar boss pack right next to wp with a shrine in between wp and the boss pack. Too bad not a champion pack but I think I'll ran these for a bit. Unfortunately it also means no self mp or I'd lose the seed.

View attachment 12647

EDIT: Erm… so this just happened:
View attachment 12649

View attachment 12650

I got both of these on completely different runs. o_O
I play completely selffound and will never trade (can't trade 1.00 stuff anyway), but might need a mod ruling on these @maxicek

Last edited:
This is known, relatively common, and a big part of the reason for banning trade og pre-lod items.

Also the whole reason why I said tired of the same rares a few posts up.

Minions have no xp bonus, so until you get more xp from one lvl 85 unique urdar, you're much better off with four lvl 84 champion urdars. This doesn't happen until lvl 90 or so.

a big part of the reason for banning trade og pre-lod items
Ah, now it makes sense. I figured it had to do with unique items, but I can see why banking rare dupes would be a problem. :D

But yeah now I think about it, it makes sense that items keep ending up the same. Monster drops are seeded by their own seed (..is there a better way to put this?). This seed is used & updated at their AI checks, as well as when they attack (for the to_hit roll, the monster_critical roll, and the melee_damage roll), so if the monster does the same amount of random rolls as last game, he will drop the same item. By far the biggest factor of randomness would be the player's actions, as that can affect the frequency of their AI checks, and potentially get them to attack more often. I wonder how they solved this in later patches. :>

Edit: Well, I'm not sure what initially gives the monster their seed, so maybe there's another factor. Maybe that you have to take the same route every time, or something.

Last edited:
Ah, now it makes sense. I figured it had to do with unique items, but I can see why banking rare dupes would be a problem. :D

But yeah now I think about it, it makes sense that items keep ending up the same. Monster drops are seeded by their own seed (..is there a better way to put this?). This seed is used & updated at their AI checks, as well as when they attack (for the to_hit roll, the monster_critical roll, and the melee_damage roll), so if the monster does the same amount of random rolls as last game, he will drop the same item. By far the biggest factor of randomness would be the player's actions, as that can affect the frequency of their AI checks, and potentially get them to attack more often. I wonder how they solved this in later patches. :>

Edit: Well, I'm not sure what initially gives the monster their seed, so maybe there's another factor. Maybe that you have to take the same route every time, or something.

I kind of recall farming those ghostey guys in RoF, and whenever they took the same path, the same rare belt dropped. And it wasn't even good!

Go mule does not work for 1.00.
My barb is almost 87 now, I have been screening games for the spawns and if they have urdars, spawners and corpse eaters I clean the entire map, as those 3 still give good xp at this point. And with 3 shrines on my route I get to pop an xp one regularly. Also found that if you whirl back you can kill Hephasto without him hitting you, which means he won't override my xp shrine with amp.

This isn't going to be a big deal to you guys but I've been playing 1.00 for a few hours and I've gambled exactly one item. Here it is:

View attachment 12710
I like this patch.

Nice find! It's always nice to throw 2300 gold at Gheed and get a useful unique out of him.

It looks like you're working on a CE Necro?

(EDIT) One minor thing to note about the +15% max resist - Classic doesn't display resists above 75% (MAX), so you'll need to track that manually when using +max% gear.

Last edited:
Nice find! It's always nice to throw 2300 gold at Gheed and get a useful unique out of him.

It looks like you're working on a CE Necro?

(EDIT) One minor thing to note about the +15% max resist - Classic doesn't display resists above 75% (MAX), so you'll need to track that manually when using +max% gear.
I'm doing the 'ol blood golem with iron maiden (the build of my very first character); CE is just to speed things along. I'm doing such a cheesy build because the specific purpose of this character is to get a character I've got stuck in an awkward spot on 1.09... out of the awkward spot (I'm playing on hardcore). I will probably do some gambling/cow king along the way - I could always use more sojs - but I've actually played a fair amount of 1.00 in the past and once I kill hell Diablo with this character I'll probably be moving along.

Speaking of which, doing act bosses on this character has been... interesting. Duriel was a breeze (as is to be expected with a character seemingly specifically designed to take the challenge out of Duriel), but I had to kill Mephisto by putting iron maiden on him and summoning clay golems next to him in hopes that he'd whack them, which, to be fair, did eventually work. Does anyone know if bone spirit scales well enough to get me through nightmare act bosses at least?

I Does anyone know if bone spirit scales well enough to get me through nightmare act bosses at least?

I have a hybrid Necro in 1.00 with a maxed spirit, lvl 25 after +skills doing about 400 dmg per spirit. It would take quite a few spirits on their own. But with 30 FCR it will put a small dent on Big D life but you will need something else for you kill him on a regular basis

Big D is the necro's nemesis for sure.

But if some decrep 9+ after +skills,IM and 6 revives with decent Skeleton Mastery synergy you can clear the 3 seals and chaos wearing with decent MF with the bone spirit and CE

revives with decent Skeleton Mastery synergy
No no, don't waste your skill points. Skeleton Mastery does not help Revive. The description's lying (what's new).

Revive does take some value from SM (from skills.txt), but then it uses its own skill level. Someone was sleepy, I guess. :) Revives are kind of incredible in 1.00, but the AI makes you cry.

No no, don't waste your skill points. Skeleton Mastery does not help Revive. The description's lying (what's new).

Revive does take some value from SM (from skills.txt), but then it uses its own skill level. Someone was sleepy, I guess. :) Revives are kind of incredible in 1.00, but the AI makes you cry.
This is fixed in later versions correct?

I have a hybrid Necro in 1.00 with a maxed spirit, lvl 25 after +skills doing about 400 dmg per spirit. It would take quite a few spirits on their own. But with 30 FCR it will put a small dent on Big D life but you will need something else for you kill him on a regular basis

Big D is the necro's nemesis for sure.

But if some decrep 9+ after +skills,IM and 6 revives with decent Skeleton Mastery synergy you can clear the 3 seals and chaos wearing with decent MF with the bone spirit and CE
I killed Diablo on normal with level 3 bone spear. It took a long time, but it was very easy (I was never in any particular danger; meph was definitely harder). I honestly don't intend to kill Diablo more than once per difficulty. My only requirement is that I can kill him at a remotely reasonable speed.

It sure does. I love when I'm getting chased by a herd of cows and my golem gets hopelessly distracted by a shiny object. Only thing to do is summon a new one (or TP) since if you try to use the tether to get it to come to you there's a good chance it'll just unsummon anyway.

Great tip.

Ah well, too late to save my toon although he does also use some skeleton mages and on rare occasions skeletons. Given the number of bugs in 1.00 I expect Skeleton mastery to not even work on mages elemental damage though. It is good to know for new players . Wasting those points did not cripple my character as I levelled him lots but could cripple a low lvl finisher

I killed Diablo on normal with level 3 bone spear. It took a long time, but it was very easy (I was never in any particular danger; meph was definitely harder). I honestly don't intend to kill Diablo more than once per difficulty. My only requirement is that I can kill him at a remotely reasonable speed.

It sure does. I love when I'm getting chased by a herd of cows and my golem gets hopelessly distracted by a shiny object. Only thing to do is summon a new one (or TP) since if you try to use the tether to get it to come to you there's a good chance it'll just unsummon anyway.

Cows are slow, but tank well. I found the AI curses, terror and attract help. Best revives are from act4 doom and abyss knights, urdars and balrogs. Others are useless. 6+ revives, decrepify with one max Bone spell and CE are crucial for killing Hell DeSeis "safely".

If you have some spare points, bone spirit or spear is a decent choice . You can plan to have +3 skills on the necro at end game with a bit of shopping and one SoJ.

I'm doing the 'ol blood golem with iron maiden (the build of my very first character); CE is just to speed things along. I'm doing such a cheesy build because the specific purpose of this character is to get a character I've got stuck in an awkward spot on 1.09... out of the awkward spot (I'm playing on hardcore).

Be aware that the interaction between blood golem and iron maiden was reported as being fixed in 1.07.

That always irked me because this

1.07 patch notes said:
Fixed Iron Maiden+Blood Golem bug and increased the Blood Golem's Life stealing.

seems at odds with the fact that the 'official strategy guide' on Battle.net encouraged its use:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000816000018/http://www.battle.net/diablo2/skills/n1.shtml said:
The Curse Iron Maiden works very well with the Blood Golem in that allows you to heal yourself and your Blood Golem when attacked by Melee Attackers.

Seems like the team didn't communicate well. So if you forward your necro to 1.09, you should have a backup plan.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High