Mafia game thread

Hi, sorry for my lack of activity. Current job is quite tiresome. I haven't read all the replies / theories yet, but I'm about to go out on a few minutes, so I'll catch up later. Here's my role PM:

Harry Adams:
You are Harry Adams. You’re on this mission because you’re a young and intelligent mathematician. You are likely going to be the most important person on this expedition. However, you’re also very arrogant, unsympathetic, disdainful, and often uncooperative with the others. While very secure intellectually, you tend to be lacking emotionally due to isolation. Currently you have no abilities other than your rationale.

Just went back to check this - pharphis is a Harry. Harry entered the sphere night one. Night 2 you got the message saying you had a one-shot power useable only that night?

Sorry, somehow I must have confused people with something, so I'll reiterate.

I got the 1-shot ability last night, and only for last night, which was night 2 (with ted entering the sphere - the night after harry did).

Yea, tapatalk only has some advantages over my crappy mobile browser, and not notifying me of things like pms is just a silly oversight.

---
Not quite an edit: I just noticed this was not posted yet. It's been like 3 hours.

For my future reference:
The last claim is out and this is what we have:

Norman: (6)
Zokar
CG
Kestegs
Solar Ice
ThunderCat
OMGWTFBBQPWNED - DECEASED

Harry: (5)
pharhpis
Laarz
thefranklin
Mr. Teach - DECEASED
Valhauros

Beth: (6)
MartinLong
Gwaihir
coju
Pyro
Jcakes
pancakeman

Ted: (4)
Moar
Goryani
Malevolent
Flubbucket

I don't know if copypasting the PM is allowed, and the squid is hitting me hard, so I'll paraphrase. I am Beth Halpern, gentle and caring, but my conflicts with the male members of the team has made emotionally distant. I have no special abilities other than my gentleness.

Not what I expected here.

Precisely.

Okay, that's enough for me to continue. I'd still like to hear Val's claim, but it's no longer vital.

Assumption #3: Characters are balanced. 20 players, four roles, means five players sharing a role. 21st player is odd man out, give him anyone random, meaning there's a sixth for one role.

Tying in Assumption #3 with Assumption #2: If I were mafia with the information revealed at the end of Day 1, I'd have one or two scum fake claim. If assumption #2 is correct, then they all have access to the proper, original role PM, so trying to catch them via trick words or what have you is not going to work.

For example, if the Scum Harry claimed a Norman, and the Norman scum got lynched, it's likely that the town may just stop looking at Normans for more scum. Eventually they'll go through all the Harrys, find no scum there, and wonder if perhaps assumption #2 is wrong, or if scum Harry is hiding amongst Beths, Normans, or Teds? That's the kind of gambit I would try to run as a mafia, and I can name a quite a few people in the thread that would likely come up with a similar idea.

So, to hammer this in...

Both franklin and Flubbucket are pressing the idea that "one scum from each role". To me, this looks like they're setting up the groundwork for the above described gambit. I find that highly suspect. Anyone suggesting that we don't talk about a subject instantly gets my attention, and Flubbucket is suggesting that we simply accept assumption #2 as fact and stop talking about it.

Seems logical to me, and my guess has been that assumption 3 is correct. Which means we have a lying Beth or Norman. Of the claims, coju has been one of the most suspicious for other reasons. I assume mafia have identical PM's, but what if he didn't have/couldn't easily find the mafia Beth one with the correct word, and that was why he left out parts?

I still also find Mal suspicious for his lack of PM reading, and would be willing to go with a vote on him as well.

Which means we have a lying Beth or Norman.
I find this to be very probable and have similar concerns about coju.

I still also find Mal suspicious for his lack of PM reading, and would be willing to go with a vote on him as well.

I think I'm basically in the same boat as you. I am currently voting for Mal for that particular reason, but could be convinced to change that for something more compelling.

My only concern about voting for Mal is that he's in the Ted group which only has 4 claimed members... It seems likely that if there is a Ted mafia he probably did not claim to be such and is probably in the Norm/Beth group.

Unvote: Malevolent

Him voting Sath - turning TC's joke vote around to an attempt to make a vote train (?) - made it seem like an attempt at misdirection. For that misdirection attempt, I am very willing to vote him. The lack of PM reading, also, is very suspect - to me, makes it seem like he was waiting to copy someone elses claim.

Holy votes, guys!

I love CG's theory and it seems the most plausible thing so far.

I don't understand what coju was saying about spy so he might be getting my vote.

Can none of the other harrys say whethwer they had the same ability last night. We need this info.

Remember that game: Out think the Mod? Yeah, I don't like that theory simply because it's too easy to figure out. . Sure, it's a comforting theory that gives us a leg on on figuring out who is who in terms of role, but you really think Sath would give that to us? I don't.

Not what I expected here.

Seems logical to me, and my guess has been that assumption 3 is correct. Which means we have a lying Beth or Norman. Of the claims, coju has been one of the most suspicious for other reasons. I assume mafia have identical PM's, but what if he didn't have/couldn't easily find the mafia Beth one with the correct word, and that was why he left out parts?

Hm, it seems to be starting to come together now. But then again outsmarting the mod that easily would be way to simple. If coju didn't think he would be called out on it he might not have asked to see the other team member's pm. But you would think that the entire mafia team would share their pms in the thread the first night. I thought that was pretty standard for them.

I theorize that Kestegs is lying about being Norman and is actually a Ted.

My reasoning:

I'm a little reluctant to claim this early, but it seems like more than 4 have already claimed to be one of the 4, so I think there may be something there.

I am also one of the 4.

If you think something is there, then why not contribute?

I see your point, but disagree on those grounds. I still really believe that we are facing some sort of recruiting element. It's entirety possible that you are both town right now at least. I also believe that you both got the same pm, mine is not Harry, but the wording and style are very close, just with a different subject.

Claiming he is not Harry, fine...

Oh, I totally missed Zokar's pm post. I thought cg was talking about pharphis.

I am also Norman, with a verbatim pm.

claiming Norman but never actually posts his role PM

No, that's 4 Normans.

I think we should either lynch an unclaimed or a Harry. There is good indication from the story that Harry may have turned evil. If we lynch any of the other 3 we may not even realize if we lynch a mafia if they aren't activated yet. Theoretically of course...

If the mafia decided to move to the Beth/Norm groups, then they would know that anything in the Harry/Ted/unclaimed would be fair game as they would all be townies. Yes he does not explicitly mention the Ted group... why? perhaps to stave off suspicion?

Wow, I'm thoroughly confused now.

vote: malevolent

This is interesting though!

Wasn't there someone else who already claimed to not be part of the 4? I thought I remembered that, but it's too hard to look on my phone.

then he procedes to votes for mal (while I agree the whole PM thing is bad, perhaps this was just a lucky break) who happens to be in the Ted group and he knows for sure that no mafia exist in that group.

Why the vote on pyro ? Because he didn't claim while everyone else was?
Coming to save pyro who as it happens is in the Beth group...

Perhaps this is all just a coincidence. I don't like how he didn't actually post his PM but rather just says that it's identical to mine.

All of this makes me feel kestegs is Ted, mafia and he is protecting Pyro, mafia.
(I admit the pyro angle is rather thin)

Feel free to prove me wrong, I know I'm new to the game and maybe I'm missing something obvious, but that's what my gut feeling is for today.

So...

Vote: kestegs

There has been a game where you can lynch the host? What would it have done?

In the saw game that I hosted, I was John Kramer. I would influence the mafia team slightly, but nothing major that would give them a huge advantage over the town. One might call it an ability for the entire team. Anyway, my help would have stopped once a few votes were cast on myself or of Amanda Young would be killed.

On the Sathoris thing, seems like an unnecessary distraction. I guess we could try and lock him and if nothing happens unvote and vote for someone else, but it seems like it could set us up for a misvote.

I didn't plan it to be a distraction. All I was looking for were a few votes to see where that got us. Not waste the entire lynch opportunity of such a far fetched theory.

Yea, tapatalk only has some advantages over my crappy mobile browser, and not notifying me of things like pms is just a silly oversight.

You should set it so that you receive emails when you receive a PM. That way you get notified and you can read your PM in the email.

Hm, it seems to be starting to come together now. But then again outsmarting the mod that easily would be way to simple. If coju didn't think he would be called out on it he might not have asked to see the other team member's pm. But you would think that the entire mafia team would share their pms in the thread the first night. I thought that was pretty standard for them.

My take is that the mafia Harry opted for either a Beth or Norman. Be it because people were suspicious of Harry yesterday, or as CG pointed it out, it might allow him to blend in and disprove the theory that there's 1 mafia per name.

Anyway, regarding the Sathoris vote, it did have a little joke in it, but I thought it wouldn't hurt a few votes, just to see what happens. I would obviously use my proper vote on someone else I found scummy or to ensure a lynch.

I did forget to point this out, but remembered after Zokar mentioned it.

It would have been very easy for a mafia to get into the Norman list after Zokar posted his full PM. Not blaming you Zokar, you are doing a good job so far for your first game.

All of this makes me feel kestegs is Ted, mafia and he is protecting Pyro, mafia.

Rather thin indeed, please note the following conversation after kegs said we should lynch an unclaimed or a Harry.

Hm, so we should lynch anyone that does not have your name, how convienent.

No, I said we should either lynch Harry or a neutral. That leaves (likely) 12 people I'm not wanting to lynch right now.

But you didn't say neutral, you said uncliamed, and at that point the only claims were Harrys, Normans, and Mal's "other".

Zokar, why do you consider flubb a Ted? he hasn't claimed, other than a soft claim, sort of, yet. If flubb has I must have missed it.

I did forget to point this out, but remembered after Zokar mentioned it.

It would have been very easy for a mafia to get into the Norman list after Zokar posted his full PM. Not blaming you Zokar, you are doing a good job so far for your first game.

Yeah, that's why I started to look at my group a little bit more, hence the kestegs vote.

We have an hour. I can triangulate the "Teds" if need be.

Zokar, why do you consider flubb a Ted? he hasn't claimed, other than a soft claim, sort of, yet. If flubb has I must have missed it.

It's a soft implication yes. However, he only has 8 posts, most of which don't actually contribute anything. I guess it's possible that he's not townie and just lurking hoping to not draw attention, but at this point kestegs is giving me a lot more ammunition to use.

My theory such as it is, 5 of each main character= 20
1- jerry, makes 21 at the start of the game

The reason for 2 groups with 6 people in them, one is jerry and one is someone who felt the need to move out of their group for some reason.
May be nothing to it, but coju peaked my interest when he talked about a spy because thats what jerry does in the movie it seems.

I theorize that Kestegs is lying about being Norman and is actually a Ted.

My reasoning:

If you think something is there, then why not contribute?

Claiming he is not Harry, fine...

claiming Norman but never actually posts his role PM

If the mafia decided to move to the Beth/Norm groups, then they would know that anything in the Harry/Ted/unclaimed would be fair game as they would all be townies. Yes he does not explicitly mention the Ted group... why? perhaps to stave off suspicion?

then he procedes to votes for mal (while I agree the whole PM thing is bad, perhaps this was just a lucky break) who happens to be in the Ted group and he knows for sure that no mafia exist in that group.

Coming to save pyro who as it happens is in the Beth group...

Perhaps this is all just a coincidence. I don't like how he didn't actually post his PM but rather just says that it's identical to mine.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I know I'm new to the game and maybe I'm missing something obvious, but that's what my gut feeling is for today.

So...

Vote: kestegs

Its easy to make someone look bad when you ignore all the posts in between.

I didn't post my role pm because:
1. Didn't seem necessary
2. It. Doesn't. Prove. Anything.
3. I'm lazy and on my phone

I called him out for his statement, he changed is story, and then he never responded to my next statement.

Next time you want a response ask a question, not make a statement.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High