Mafia game thread

Ok, so Mal first mentions an idea about evil twins and asks about cop investigations. TC comes along and comes up with a theory that we are all main title characters, which we indeed are.

Now TC comes up with an idea to try and lynch the mod and Mal immediately jumps on board. Hmm.

@ parphis

You did not know that pms didn't show up on your app? Is there even a spot on the app for them to show up in?

And to clarify, you received your action pm last night when Norman entered the sphere, correct?

As much as I detest doing this...

Random bits of information deleted.
Only for you, Gwaihir.

The only thing that concerns me specifically about coju's deletion of items in the PM is there was one word missing from the previous three claimants (Gwaihir, Pyro and ML). That particular word was removed from Cojus "PM". It doesn't prove anything, but his "PM" could easily have been constructed from the thread.

I know we are already past the discussion of the original role pm's but I just have to Lol at coju's attempt to block out certain words. Jcakes pretty much pointed it out in an instant there, all of the words he used were already present in the thread, hilarious.

I think the only useful bit of the roles would be the very last line "You currently have no abilities".
Sath stated to look at the stories he posts and people who receive night PMs will have to act on them. These night PMs could turn people scum, or maybe just give them powers. It seems obvious though that we are all apart of the main cast.

What COULD be a possibility though, is that if anyone IS mafia, their role PM could have just stated "You currently have no abilities, but you are mafia" or something of the likes. A sentence that could VERY easily be altered when faking a claim that was already posted in full.

IIRC, anyone could have faked the last sentence of their role PM b/c only two casts altered the PM's, but noone did it to the abilities part of the line. I think we need to just move past the role claims and look for general scumminess.

Also, now that my eyes are clearing up (just under went LASIK) I can post a little bit more. As for the speculations about Town/Mafia, Sath posted this IN THE RULES.

Town: You win when once all the mafia are dead
Mafia: You win once you outnumber or equal the town's numbers

There are no win conditions in the initial role PM's. If you don't get a second PM stating that you're mafia you are town. This will be clear once the game is underway.

Can we move on from this now?!

I think moving away from the theory the original role pm's are going to tell us something is the right thing to do. The only potential thing we can get from them now is a potential mafia that was scared of being a Harry (after the entering the sphere turns you mafia debate) and picked one of the other main characters based on information already present in the thread.

Okay, I think that as a few have said that one of each character is mafia, with maybe some neutrals like potentially Mal. Whether our roles are given at random or the night following your entry (as is the case with me - and maybe the other Harry's).

I only noticed just now, after checking the thread, that I got a pm last night. Didn't mean to be unreliable, just being thrown off by no internet other than phone. Okay, here it is.

----

You always knew you would be the first to unlock the sphere’s secrets. You’re by far the smartest guy in the group. Norman is only here to analyse us smarter people. Beth thinks muscle is power; she won’t know how to handle real power. Ted is just a small child, too naïve. Nonetheless this power could make any of them rival me as long as we can’t control it. They have to be stopped; this power can never leave this place.

---

Will be back with the rest (stupid phone)

Ugh, phone messed up when trying to post. Here it is again.

---

Tonight and tonight only you can target one person and make sure that none of their manifestations will come out that night.

I feel safe posting this because given how this game is different enough already, I don't know if I always get this blocker or role or at random.

Can the other Harrys say whether they got the same or even a different ability? I think this is the town's best method of finding scum. Finding the liars.

I have to say, the wording in the first part of the pm does sound really evil, but this is really the first clue we have at how powers/abilities may be distributed. Noting that this is the first night after "Harry" has entered the sphere it would make sense that they would be the first to have a power. It does sound like a roleblock, but knowing the backstory of all the manifestations being the characters fears you would have to think this would be a good thing for us.

I can agree with this theory to an extent. All the talk regarding just one Harry, Ted, etc, being mafia isn't smart.

Curious....I'm guessing you've seen him with his shirt off??

Only having one of each being mafia would mean that there are only 4 mafia (or will be only 4 mafia) since no one seems to have any other roles. It seems like it could be possible that we only have one of each but I wouldn't count on it for the time being and we should focus on actual scum hunting rather than relying on names for the time being.

I've only managed to read until post #383 but I have to go, thus I'll post this now.

OMGUS vote much?

Actually, Normans seem to hold the majority as of now with 6 votes.

When you copy/paste something, I won't copy the bolds, underlines and etc. Mine isn't bold either as I copied the PM and pasted it here within quote marks.

Interesting. So there are random events in place in this game that grant players abilities.

I'm almost sure that mafia hold just 1 of each character. Simply because there are 6 Normans and 4 Harrys right now.

Vote: Sathoris

In the Saw game, I, the host, had a role. I would have died if a certain number of people voted for me (I think it was a quarter). If Sathoris is the Sphere, this might work.

So we have 6 normans now? Shouldn't we have an even number of each across the board and then an additional one or two based on numbers not in multiples of 4? Seems strange, how many of each of the other characters are we up to now?

Is the new theory that we can destroy the sphere by voting for it? This kind of seems like a distraction from voting for an actual lynch canidate. Have we finally decided if the sphere is a recruiting method or something that gives out abilities? I thought we were leaning more towards abilities now.

Your power sounds like a roleblocker to me, a role I typically associate with mafia.

I don't buy this voting for sath stuff.

here is what tapatalk looks like, So you could potentially miss a PM I suppose.

That looks terrible, I'm glad I refuse to download it everytime the notification pops up.

[YOUTUBE]ktUx57i63e0[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, that's funn ... wait, was that a giant squid claim you snuck in there? o_O

I'm not asking how many days to find mafia. I'm asking how many days to prove or disprove the recruitment theory.

At a MINIMUM, it takes two lynches to disprove the recruitment theory. Two separate Harry's or two separate Ted's have to be lynched and flip scum. Even this might prove nothing if mafia start with some number of players and recruit more.

At a MINIMUM, every single Harry and Ted must be lynched to prove that exactly 1 recruited Harry and exactly 1 recruited Ted exist (by that time, more recruitment could render impossible proving the recruitment theory). I haven't (yet) kept track of the claims but that's probably 1/3 to 1/2 the town lynched just to find 2 mafia. Mafia will win that game.

One, that wasn't clear. Your further thought process (#308) said the goal was to confirm the recruitment hypothesis.

Two, what happens if another Harry enters the sphere again before the first one is caught? What happens if no Harry's are mafia? What happens if two Harry's are mafia and we stop lynching Harry's after the first because Harry stayed away from the sphere? My point is that finding the first mafia, using this methodology, doesn't actually help us find the second, third, fourth, etc.

What I said made me realize this game won't be as simple as entering the sphere equals recruitment or 1 mafia per name.

This. In way more eloquent form than I managed with my last post.

Interesting. So there are random events in place in this game that grant players abilities.

I'm almost sure that mafia hold just 1 of each character. Simply because there are 6 Normans and 4 Harrys right now.

Vote: Sathoris

In the Saw game, I, the host, had a role. I would have died if a certain number of people voted for me (I think it was a quarter). If Sathoris is the Sphere, this might work.

There has been a game where you can lynch the host? What would it have done?

Ok, so Mal first mentions an idea about evil twins and asks about cop investigations. TC comes along and comes up with a theory that we are all main title characters, which we indeed are.

Now TC comes up with an idea to try and lynch the mod and Mal immediately jumps on board. Hmm.

Interesting coincidence, could be nothing though, but interesting none the less

Your power sounds like a roleblocker to me, a role I typically associate with mafia.

I don't buy this voting for sath stuff.

here is what tapatalk looks like, So you could potentially miss a PM I suppose.

This, it sounds like a roleblocker which is not neccessarily an anti-town role, but it could be. Coupled with the darkness implied in the PM makes me think it is a Mafia Gambit, but I am not 100% sure.

On the Sathoris thing, seems like an unnecessary distraction. I guess we could try and lock him and if nothing happens unvote and vote for someone else, but it seems like it could set us up for a misvote.

Voting for Sath will just get another no lynch day. I can somewhat reason that TC did it for a joke (like he did voting him self), but Mal voting for Sath as well? That to me looks like it tried to turn a joke into a train. I don't like that.

Outguessing the mod part two. Dangerous territory I'm treading.

Let's start with the assumption that the scum team knew they were scum from day one. Otherwise, you don't know if you're playing towards your win condition or not, and that's just bad. Recruitment is fine in theory, but that only works if there's a way to stop the recruitment. So far we haven't seen a way to do that.

Assumption number two: One of each main character is the "evil manifestation", AKA the scum.

With that in mind, we need to finish role claiming. So far, I have this:

CG said:
Norman:
Zokar
CG
Kestegs
Solar Ice
ThunderCat
OMGWTFBBQPWNED - DECEASED

Harry:
pharhpis
Laarz
thefranklin
Mr. Teach - DECEASED

Beth:
MartinLong
Gwaihir
coju
Pyro
Jcakes

Ted:
Moar
Goryani
Malevolent
Flubbucket

Unclaimed:
Valhauros
pancakeman

If any of that info is wrong, please correct me.

Valhauros and pancakeman: We need your role claims ASAP. Even if you have nothing else to add to the discussion at the moment, add that.

I have more thoughts about this setup that I cannot go in to until those two claim.

So then, I made a rookie mistake by posting my full role PM unaltered and so none of the Normans can be trusted to be legit?

Did you anticipate other people claiming the same role as you?

I agree with the notion that one of each title role is mafia. What I am not sure of is do they get told they are mafia when they enter the sphere, or do they acquire their power when they enter the sphere. Either way, we have a statistical lead oj the Harry's, and by far Laarz has been the most suspect.
I can agree with this theory to an extent. All the talk regarding just one Harry, Ted, etc, being mafia isn't smart.

Reminder to myself to come back to this.

Okay, I think that as a few have said that one of each character is mafia, with maybe some neutrals like potentially Mal. Whether our roles are given at random or the night following your entry (as is the case with me - and maybe the other Harry's).

I only noticed just now, after checking the thread, that I got a pm last night. Didn't mean to be unreliable, just being thrown off by no internet other than phone. Okay, here it is.

Just went back to check this - pharphis is a Harry. Harry entered the sphere night one. Night 2 you got the message saying you had a one-shot power useable only that night?

Just went back to check this - pharphis is a Harry. Harry entered the sphere night one. Night 2 you got the message saying you had a one-shot power useable only that night?

I think his other post stated it was on N1, but tapatalk app doesn't show new PM's so he missed it.

Cg, I have flubb with a soft claim of Ted, did he claim somewhere else and I missed it?

Valhauros and pancakeman: We need your role claims ASAP. Even if you have nothing else to add to the discussion at the moment, add that.
I'm sorry guys, I'm not very involved in this game at all, but if this will help I'm more than happy to contribute.

I don't know if copypasting the PM is allowed, and the squid is hitting me hard, so I'll paraphrase. I am Beth Halpern, gentle and caring, but my conflicts with the male members of the team has made emotionally distant. I have no special abilities other than my gentleness.

I was very confused by the "other than my gentleness" part, which was specifically mentioned in the PM.

I think his other post stated it was on N1, but tapatalk app doesn't show new PM's so he missed it.

I thought so to initially, but upon checking it seems that may not be true.

Interesting, I was expecting a Harry or Ted claim...

Precisely.

Okay, that's enough for me to continue. I'd still like to hear Val's claim, but it's no longer vital.

Assumption #3: Characters are balanced. 20 players, four roles, means five players sharing a role. 21st player is odd man out, give him anyone random, meaning there's a sixth for one role.

Tying in Assumption #3 with Assumption #2: If I were mafia with the information revealed at the end of Day 1, I'd have one or two scum fake claim. If assumption #2 is correct, then they all have access to the proper, original role PM, so trying to catch them via trick words or what have you is not going to work.

For example, if the Scum Harry claimed a Norman, and the Norman scum got lynched, it's likely that the town may just stop looking at Normans for more scum. Eventually they'll go through all the Harrys, find no scum there, and wonder if perhaps assumption #2 is wrong, or if scum Harry is hiding amongst Beths, Normans, or Teds? That's the kind of gambit I would try to run as a mafia, and I can name a quite a few people in the thread that would likely come up with a similar idea.

So, to hammer this in...

Flubbucket said:
thefranklin said:
I agree with the notion that one of each title role is mafia. What I am not sure of is do they get told they are mafia when they enter the sphere, or do they acquire their power when they enter the sphere. Either way, we have a statistical lead oj the Harry's, and by far Laarz has been the most suspect.

Both franklin and Flubbucket are pressing the idea that "one scum from each role". To me, this looks like they're setting up the groundwork for the above described gambit. I find that highly suspect. Anyone suggesting that we don't talk about a subject instantly gets my attention, and Flubbucket is suggesting that we simply accept assumption #2 as fact and stop talking about it.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High