Mafia game thread

PCM was blocked on Night 8 hence he did not protect anyone? Or chose not to?

Pyro did not protect anyone at all on N9? Or since Laarz was blocked/did not submit NK, it shows up that way?

@ Laarz: Did you intentionally not submit a kill last Night, to cause some Town confusion? :p

Yes Solar, Thats the reason for no kill, I was sure if I didn't get the block last night too, that franklin or Ph would block me and that would lead to my lynch, I had thought to try the kill and see if I could push the theory that the person that blocked could also do the kill, but I didn't think I could pull it off.

Yes Solar, Thats the reason for no kill, I was sure if I didn't get the block last night too, that franklin or Ph would block me and that would lead to my lynch, I had thought to try the kill and see if I could push the theory that the person that blocked could also do the kill, but I didn't think I could pull it off.

Really one of the best options you had, if you had killed you would have been auto lynch unless you said you blocked phar, and you would then be dead the next day. Although the chance of you making it more than a day was pretty small in any case.

Thanks for hosting the game Sathoris. I had a great time playing (while living and in the dead thread). A well executed, unique setup.

Stories:
The stories were entertaining but my eyes started glossing over while looking for clues. Sooooooooo many players with the same 4 names made things difficult for me. On one day, I think I saw Norman perform three separate tracks on three separate characters. I had to wait for the Norman ability holder to specify which was the actual one. As I mentioned in the dead thread, the ability for ignorant townies to see things that aren't really there can never be underestimated (and sometimes that goes for mafia as well).

Generally, I prefer hints to be a little less random than they turned out to be. "Ted watches <character name>" was the only consistent message I saw in the stories. The tracker keyword and sentence structure varied from day to day. Some days had a block story and others didn't. Some days had a doc save story and others didn't. The existence of absence didn't always correlate with a successful/unsuccessful action.

I'm not sure if the uncertain stories were meant as a balancing aspect (give mafia opportunity to posit multiple conflicting theories) but I think they had that effect. Too bad mafia played a lurker strategy and didn't take advantage of the overall general confusion of the town.

Setup:
You said you wanted a game where scumhunting is prevalent and I think you got it. At the same time, I think town outguessed the mod more than you intended.

Phat dope gansta props to hosting a game with zero cops!!!!

"No results" for watcher and tracker were surprising yet a critical piece of the game. Seeing Harry perform a NK plays out very differently than seeing Mafioso_02 perform a NK. At the same time, it became apparent that mafia were worried they could be caught by detailed result info. Simply asking the tracker/watcher for clarification instead of outright denial became a HUGE tell.

Rotating abilities turned out to be a very nice game mechanic. No one was a VT yet the game wasn't chock full of power roles.

Killing a character with an ability kills that ability. I don't think any player ever thought this. Not in game. Not in the mafia thread. Not in the dead thread. If that was a balancing mechanism then I think mafia needed some type of hint. Maybe everyone should have been given that hint as it would have created delicious WIFOM fun for everyone. I can guarantee that idea would have altered several night decisions.

I don't think any power role ever directly detected mafia. On one day, mafia were detected by process of elimination. In other words, looking for townies helps town win as easily as looking for mafia.

Kill flavors had enormous impact this game. I'm pretty sure town could have won simply by following the hitman. Lynch Harrys untill a mafia Harry is found. When another hitman appears, lynch that character until mafia appears. And so on.

Balance:
I thought the game was a bit town sided, but not massively so.

It's hard to say what would have happened if mafia eliminated a power role or two.

Without a doc save N4 and with a successful kill on N9, the last day would have been 4 townies vs 1 mafia. Two mislynches or a mislynch + nolynch are required for a win. That's a really tall order especially given the existence of kill flavors, power roles, and outguessing the mod. The "at least one of each name is mafia" recruitment theory exonerated townies who really had no business being confirmed townie at the end.

I think a setup where mafia consisted of 2 of one name, 2 of another name, 1 of a third name and 0 of the fourth name would have been a very balanced game. I think at least one extra mislynch would occur. That creates a D10 LYLO scenario with 2 townies vs 1 mafia. A setup where you tell us the number of mafia per name is random achieves the same goals. That uncertainty really helps mafia.

I was still playing at the end like PCM or Pharphis was still mafia. It would have been nice to have two characters have more than one mafia.

Also, I thought Flub handed them the game. Can't believe I wasn't lynched right after he was. I figured mafia were going nuts laughing about two townies wasting the day fighting each other. And according to their qt, they were.

Too bad mafia played a lurker strategy and didn't take advantage of the overall general confusion of the town.

Lynch all Lurkers !

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High