The PvP Thread

Game up at #34#34#34#34#34 Let's see if there's any bites :D

EDIT: Down. No bites. Cya tmw.

Last edited:
Sorry I thought we were starting later, but tomorrow is good.
Let us know what time.

Thanks for the games everyone and thanks again froz for hosting.

I had a lot of fun tonight. Good matches including teams. I really loved that bowbarb BvA by @Miron :D
Vegeta is so great to play on a good host. Damn I like that char.

Reactions: ffs and maxicek
Nice vid grip, I was lazy to record last night.

I agree Grip, build of the night for me was @Miron 's barb. Tell us more about him Mir - Are you keeping BO sticks in the cube or not bothering? Shows you can make an effective build without needing Ber Ber CoA and Grief.

Also froz is too good on his own host. Plz nerf.

Reactions: Gripphon
Thanks everyone, was great fun yet again! Starting to feel more comfortable with my initial PvP characters and getting a rough idea on how to handle all of your nasty stuff... :) I'm in the process of decking out some other builds I wanted to try, hope I'll get one or two ready for the next session!

Reactions: maxicek

I really don't want to type this out but I have to. I literally have higher ping on my own host than Grip has on my host. Literally. He's in 5x ms and I'm in 6x ms. I don't understand it but there it is. Cronet is still at it, even in 2022.

@Gripphon really like you incorporating WC into BvC playstyle. I tried it but it feels like you are opening yourself to counter quite badly. 65 fcr when.

Reactions: maxicek
@Gripphon really like you incorporating WC into BvC playstyle. I tried it but it feels like you are opening yourself to counter quite badly. 65 fcr when.
Seems useful on such low ping. When ping is in 150 area, warcry didn't work for me at all, there was too long pause between it and start of whirlwind, it was simply better to just whirl and hope to hit. Even now it would be almost impossible to hit someone who plays very defensively and just teleports the moment barb arrives. @ffs played along like a true gentlemen and didn't just turtle. If he did' I don't know what can barb do to actually damage ES sorc.

I did play with 65 fcr like half of PvP time since you started hosting, but in the end having Oak + 40 fcr is simply superior than having 65 and no Oak. When bowa is not around, I could use circlet and have both 65 and Oak.
Did you see him getting killed twice?! I saw it and couldn't believe it! I seriously think he was playing on a touchpad.

@ffs
Nice. Can't wait to see what will you bring

Reactions: Miron
Nice vid grip, I was lazy to record last night.

I agree Grip, build of the night for me was @Miron 's barb. Tell us more about him Mir - Are you keeping BO sticks in the cube or not bothering? Shows you can make an effective build without needing Ber Ber CoA and Grief.

Will post a bit later when I'm done with work and stuff.

EDIT:

Where to begin? This is one of my first PvP chars I made when I decided that 1 char (trapper) is not enough. I read several guides on barbs and most of them, same as today, suggested BVC and all of them had Grief as main weapon. Here and there were other options like eBoTD or eDeath Cleaver but usually as 2nd choice.

Back then all I had is Beast and Grief was out of the question since I play without RWM, I just knew that no matter what I would not be able to compete damage wise with Grief based builds so I decided to try a different approach. I began reading guides/posts about shield wielding barbs (BVA) and the consensus was that this build requires VERY good items (helms, rings, charms) and dex investment = huge loss of life (~ 1000hp).
Since I didn't have such good equipment in my stashes it was a tough decision and even after I made BVA barb I still ask myself maybe I should respec to BVC.....

Anyway, the build is based on several guides from other forums mainly: Dha's, Ling's, EuroPolita's, if naming the writers is forbidden, please edit this part @maxicek.

FHR - 48
FCR - 40 (37)

Gear:
Arreats with +9 to Energy/+7 to Dexterity/+36 to Attack Rating/Requirements -15% jewel
Enigma
Beast
HLW amulet
Eld SS
Raven
Gore
Trang's gloves & arch belt

Rune Grip
Ring
Required Level: 66
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 88
Fingerprint: 0xe3ab5f01
+16 to Strength
+9 to Dexterity
+73 to Attack Rating
Fire Resist +28%
8% Life stolen per hit

Switch - Widowmaker, based on Ling's guide:
"I now will do ANYTHING, I will sacrifice sorb, I will lose DR, I will take off FCR, in any situation where I think widow could give me an edge. At face value you lose the edge numerically, in terms of damage/life, but you gain an IMMENSE tactical advantage.

From a shieldless melee char, you become a dangerous force of defensive barb playing to be reckoned with. You can get life tap, you can get lots of open wounds/psn damage, you can force someone into a teleport that you have already predicted and have started WWing at, you can even beat trappers with it."

Stash - never really used, probably should master this aspect more...
CoA with +7 to Dexterity/+40 to Attack Rating & +9 to Dexterity/+46 to Attack Rating jewels
Kira
Dracs & Blood Fist
Metalgrid
Angelic amu&rings
Raven/Wisp/Dwarf/Nature
GFace + 15@ all
Wizzy
Dual leech ring
Tri-res boots

Crafted amulets (to use with GFace)
Entropy Beads
Amulet
Required Level: 72
Item Level: 95
Fingerprint: 0x80f74f15
+19 to Strength
+7% Increased Chance of Blocking
Damage Reduced by 4
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
All Resistances +18
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)

Plague Eye
Amulet
Required Level: 53
Item Level: 94
Fingerprint: 0xe4c89ad5
+33 to Life
+78 to Mana
+8% Increased Chance of Blocking
Damage Reduced by 1
Magic Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +16%
Lightning Resist +26%
Cold Resist +16%
Poison Resist +16%

All in all, I get:
~4000HP
~550 mana
max block
43% DR
10k def
9k AR
30-50% of CB, OW, DS

I should get few more levels, a bit more mana and somehow improve HP, any suggestions? :)

Last edited:
@Miron
That is an excellent idea for a barb having bow backup. In fact you inspired me to do something bow based of my own for next PvP. Shameless copycat ;)

Instant improvement is to replace rare ring with Oak based ring (Nature's peace or Wisp). Having Oak out is much more beneficial than a bit more hp via stats.

Widowmaker with Um rune for more OW making his arrows do more damage making him more dangerous if you don't have that. As for IAS, according to calculator 54 is needed for the breakpoint, 32 is reached with HLW and IAS in helmet instead of in bow (Um for OW) or relying on switching into Beast to have OW on arrows (does like 250 damage or something like that which is not so little considering how easy those arrows hit) and going for 54 IAS breakpoint. I can't think of anything else unless you have some godly fcr circlet.

Great character overall. It is tough to beat him with physical builds and that is without you using Oak.

Ah yes. For stash perhaps having another Axe there to transform yourself into BvC when shield isn't needed to deal with casters easier.

EDITED due to forgetting switching to Beast we can't stack open wounds from Widowmaker :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Miron
Hi, is a +2 traps/15 fc amulet enough?

I would be interested in 3 v 3 and me being a Hoto+Spirit trapsin, because I have no claws that beat that.

How many players are we?

Edit: my 1.14d trapsin is I believe not even 89, so I couldn't wear +2 anyway.

Let me know what else to run, can of course spam mindblast if that's ok :)

@Miron that's a cool character indeed! :)

@d2lover I did bring a normal PvM Hoto/Spirit Trapper once and it didn't end well... not having claw block is a problem for sure. :D I'm paying regular visits to Anya myself these days, no luck so far but once I get at least one decent claw I'll build my PvP Trapper as well.

--

Here's two characters I'm building, curious if you guys had any tips or suggestiosn. Note I don't like swapping around items too much, I'm the kind of guy who's made 8 Enigmas and 6 Infinities. ;) So with that in mind, these characters use worse charms, non-6 BO CtAs etc and are made for fun, to get an idea of the play style, rather than having the best possible setup I could muster for them.

Still, any input or ideas, let me know!

Smite/FoH Paladin: Trying to get some melee action for change!
Shako (Cham)
Enigma
Grief BA (for better range) or Grief PB (for 75 FCR)
Spirit ST
2/10/all res craft ammy
Verdungo's
20 IAS, 10 CB, CR, PR, life blood craft gloves (TO for 75 FCR)
Gore Rider
FCR/resist/life ring
Nature's Peace

Inventory: 3x PComb, rest life/res, some FHR for 86 BP

Stashed gear: TO gloves, Cham'ed Griffon's, Arach, Aldur's boots, various alternative rings

With BA Grief (better Smite range) I need the blood craft gloves for IAS to maintain fastest smiting, but drop to 48 FCR BP rather than 75 FCR. But when messing around with the build it seemed to me that FCR is not that important actually, given how FoH works, and in particular because I think I want to use Charge and desynch frequently anyway. So FCR is really only properly utilized when namelocking and tele-smiting. I'm planning to use Grief PB with TO gloves for 75 FCR only against overly defensive/evasive characters... seems reasonable or bad idea? :)

A downside is somewhat mediocre %PDR. Normally at 33%, and I don't want to swap my BerBer CoA around too much like I said. I could make Ber Shako but would then need to use Raven (rather than Oak or FCR ring), thinking Oak is better than an additional 8% PDR. I feel (or hope) that with maxblock and Smiting it's maybe OK to have low-ish PDR, as I expect I'm normally the aggressor in situations where physical damage gets traded.

On the other hand in case physical damage is less of a threat, I plan to use Cham'ed Griffon's along with Grief BA and craft gloves.

Bowazon: Honestly mostly so that you guys can show me how to not get wrecked by @Delsy all the time. :D
Faith DB (I have GMB but prefer DB with my gearing options)
Fortitude AP
2 P&M, 20 FRW, iDR circlet socketed with 2x IAS/dmg jewels
Cat's Eye
Raven
Rare stat/res/AR ring
Knockback gloves (just 20 IAS nothing else on those, only started crafting those now)
Bloodcraft belt with FHR, OW, life, dual resist
War Traveler

Titan's/SS switch, CtA from cube in inventory

Stashed gear TBD

For this build I've checked some online guides that all seemed to be written by complete idiots. I have a couple of questions actually:
  • Resists: To which degree do I care about these? Should they be maxxed including Anya bug, and if so on both switches? Currently I have them max but at the expense of a lot of damage.
  • AR: How important is it, do I care about it for Multishot? If so what's a good number to aim for?
  • What kind of life/mana amounts should I aim for? Currently I'm at 2.2k and 300 post-BO.
  • %PDR: Currently I'm not including any apart from SS on switch, but could use e.g. Verdungo's again.

What is your stash like with ES Blizz sorc, that's probably then a better idea for me, don't have a 2/20 amulet for that either, but maybe not necessary?

how you reach 95% ES without bloating the stash with 10 lightcharms and a +3 Memory in a 4*1 staff?

We can't really control if we have 2v2s or 3v3s or ffa because number of players fluctuates. Hoto Spirit trappers can work decently but if/when you face bow Amazon you will have absolutely no chance, double that because of 1.07 maxers in SPF. Physical threats in general will be nasty.

It's possible to go for 174 fcr setup but you'd be stretching yourself. 102 fcr Hoto Spirit would be very easy to build and proper way if you are new.

Ber+req CoA (Shako if you on budget)
Mara's Kaleidoscope
Hoto + Spirit / CtA + Spirit
Enigma
Dungo
10fcr ring
Flexible ring
20fcr gloves
Resist boots

Asuming CoA, you'd have ~44% DR and setup actually has lots of resistances built in it. BoS would allow you to hit fastest trap laying speed with Hoto (I think), decent fcr and fhr, Oak charges from Hoto and ability to slap some absorb on flexible ring slot.

In terms of skills you get Shadow Master, BoS (optionally Fade and WoF), Mindblast and pump LS and its synergies. Leftover points should go into Mindblast. Inventory should be enough for you to get 175 allresists. In general good double modded charms are better than plain skillers (life+resists, life+mana). I think your mana should be okay with Spirit and couple charms too. I haven't made trapper without claws but @Gripphon says 6.5k LS is enough for trapper to kill a target. This setup can give you~7.2k with 3-4 skillers.

That being said, this build will struggle against physical damage dealers and there's no way around it, especially bowazon.

2x Witchunters's magic claws or even Bartuc's is perfectly viable for a 65FCR C/C trapper.

FCR
20 Arachnid Mesh
20 Trangs Claws / Magefist

Then:
10 Ring & 15FCR Amulet
20 Circlet & 10 Ring
20 Circlet & any FCR amulet

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High