Newbie here

Arctodus

Oct 27, 2019
Hi everyone ! I'm new here. I've been lurking around for a while and I decided to jump in !

So, here's my short story; I played Diablo 2 way back in the days, but never all that seriously; I just didn't want to go beyond Normal, because I thought it was lame that I could find leather armors on the ground in Act 1 nightmare with stats roughly equivalent to my "awesome" gothic plate. I was mainly playing barbs and paladins with a lot of points in strength and even some points in energy... You get the point; I was a total noob. The game nonetheless made quite an impression on me, as a 18/19 yo boy; I just loved the mayhem it brought.

A few years ago (maybe 3, I think), I decided to play it again; I started with *that* mod - you know, the one that finish with a -y - and had a blast with the game for a while. However, before long, the free respecs ans some other things it gave became a turn off; I had the feeling I was cheating and it was getting in the way of my enjoyment. So, after a few months, I stopped playing again.

But the itch was there. I fired it up yet again a few months ago, deciding to forego *that* mod. However, yet again, I was dissatisfied; all those tasty ladder runewords seemed so delicious that it was a bit of a crime to let them on the shelf. So, eventually, I found my way here and discovered a bunch of people playing the game in line with my taste, aka Single Player with RWM and GoMule. That was it, I was hooked.

So, as you can see, I pretty much agree with this community approach to the game, which is the reason I decided to jump in. I read the forum rules and not only have no problems abiding by them, I pretty much agree with them; I only play Single Player with RWM and GoMule, nothing else. I also read that moving items from HC to SC is permitted, but discouraged, so I'll come clean right now; I had a pvm Smiter in HC a while ago (died while farming Meph in Nightmare) that found a few grailers for me. However, I don't exactly remember which one; my Grail is in a single file in GoMule. So, I'll leave things as-is now, but won't feed the Grail with HC characters anymore (maybe I'll eventually start an HC grail, but it's not in my future plans).

I'm mainly looking to have good fun with the game. I'm strongly leaning toward the Untwinked 99 Challenge right now, but, eventually, I'd like to complete a Grail and also maybe having a few Guardians. You know, the usual D2 stuff. I won't post everyday, because I'm a single dad with two kids in a shared custody and I'm not playing games when they're here. However, I invest enough time in D2 when they're not here to make it interesting to get into the community. It's also the only game I play, so my progress should be consistent enough.

So, that's pretty much it ! One last question : since I believe that this community is largely based on trust, can I jump in right away in the UT 99 Challenge or the Item Find threads and post images or do I have to gain a bit of traction before ? Just asking how things are around here.

Anyway, have a great day, everyone !

Welcome! Feel free to jump right into the fray and get started on that untwinked 99er . Its always great to get new blood around here, and I hope you enjoy your stay. May your drops be green, gold, and orange:)

Yes, welcome to the community. Its always a pleasure to see a fellow legit diablo player.

Last edited:
Welcome to the SPF, and thanks for such a thorough intro thread. I echo the strong encouragement to join the Untwinked 99er fun. It’s a great way to enjoy the game, even for experienced hands!

Welcome! *kicks shins* You should definitely jump right in to anything you want! I will add though I think you have to have posted a dozen or so times total (posts in any threads count) before you can start posting links and pictures. But join right in! Untwinked 99er's is a ton of fun and definitely one of the most active threads here currently. Do you have a particular class in mind for the challenge?

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome !
Untwinked 99er's is a ton of fun and definitely one of the most active threads here currently. Do you have a particular class in mind for the challenge?
I do actually. I have a few characters in Hell (or juuuust outside of it), but I’m having a lot of fun with a frenzy barb right now. He feels real good and he just had a godly drop yesterday. I took it as a sign from RNJesus that he wanted me to take him all the way. He’s softcore; I’m not ready to take a melee character to 99 without death yet, believe me.

The plan would be to let him be a frenzy barb until the end, as I don’t like to use respecs. However, I’m not sure how realistic it is to balance kill speed and safety with this build to make it reasonably possible. It’s the type of things that I’ll figure along the way. I know it’s been done with Concentrate barb slaying Nilhatak over and over, so, if it ends up being how he gets to gold, I’ll probably do it. We’ll see !

Edit : What’s with the shin kicking ? :p

Last edited:
You not going to tell us what the godly drop is? :p But sounds great!. I steadily went more and more cookie cutter with my entry in the challenge, and it it's still loads of fun. But that being said, if Strijdje can take a wolfbarb to 99, I see no reason a frenzy barb wouldn't be 100% viable.
Edit : What’s with the shin kicking ? :p
Just a standard SPF introduction thread rite of passage. Guard your wallet and pants.

Welcome, my name is CaseyJones and I am a D2 addict. Oh wait, wrong thread....or is it? ;) Welcome aboard! Fairly new here myself, well, a bit over 6 months now anyway, and 2 untwinked 99ers in progress, though I still need to make them official ;)
Got side tracked with a twinked novamancer after my awesome dweb drop in the summer MFO :)

Welcome! Great intro thread, and it's nice to see how well you prepared yourself with forum rules and all (there are a lot of 'false start' intro threads). I think you'll enjoy the near-endless amount of guides, FAQs, mat/pat/guardian posts, etc, and will certainly appreciate how helpful this community is when you have questions.

Edit: As @Luhkoh mentions, what's the godly drop? I think there's some rule around here about not sharing such things. :p

Well, ok, I can tell about it, but I just wanted to show it with a picture. I’ll post it later when I’ll be able to add images.
I was grinding xp by doing Pindle runs in Nightmare at level 61 when bam! a unique Slayer Guard dropped. Arreat’s Face, right there. Getting this drop that early on Pindle was pure awesomeness. I had next to no mf, was on player1 (just to get a feel with this character before upping the number) and on my 5th run or something like that. Not something I was expecting !
I know it’s not the rarest item in the game and its stats are good but not perfect (182/6), so saying godly drop is probably and overstatement, but still, finding this on an untwinked barb (and not another class that has no use for it) is what I call a sign from RNJesus. Let just say that I’m quite happy with my helm. :)

Definitely godly for that stage in the game! Can't wait to see pics. One thing for the UT99er challenge to consider is to be VERY stingy with your socket rewards because you only get 3. I only highlight that point because although Arreat's is pretty GG for most barbs, it still may not be end-game for you if you're going all the way to 99.

Well, that is a nice drop, especially so early in the game for sure. Welcome!

Man, after reading your play history, it is now redundant for me to make my own separate introduction thread :D. So, in this case, nice to meet you and good luck!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High