Big Trouble in Little China Mafia Game

That's a lynch on leo.

I'm not on a computer but the lynch is locked and cannot be changed. Players still living may post freely until I formally end the day and flip Leopold Stotch.

I'll do it after dinner, 3 hours maybe.

@zemaj - I wish I could send you this privately, but ..

I specifically asked SS what would happen if I jail the same person that targeted me for NK. Which one would occur first/override?
- will not reveal until after game finishes.

Hopefully that helps you decide what to do with any powers you have left.

Ace in the hole is good. ;)

The town gathered around Leopold Stotch and dragged her off to be lynched.

Any last words, they asked?

As a noose was fitted around her head, Leopold Stotch erupted into a state of laughter befitting a maniac.

Think you can lynch me? Feeble mortals! She shrieked.

Leopold Stotch cackled even more as an unearthly light began to erupt from her eyes and then her mouth, I am Lo-Pan she cried, and I will be your undoing! You cannot Lynch **ME**

The town began to cower in shock an feat as the noose would not go around Leopold Stotch's head. Being a ghost, she know a noose would not end her.

But Leopold Stotch did not see Kurt Russell, nor did she see the dagger that had embedded itself in the center of her forehead, nor did she see Kurt Russell throw the dagger at her.

"It's all in the reflexes.", he said.

The game ends in a town win as Leopold Stotch was the last mafia left alive.

To note: The end story is just flavor, Leopold was not lynch proof. She's dead as a doornail even.

Full disclosure of mod notes and comments to come soon....

Woot woot! R.I.P. to @Caluin Graye, your research was not in vain. @Noodle keeps a clean rap sheet, escaping his night in jail.

Big thanks to @The Silver Shroud for hosting. Ive never played Mafia before, and had to ask him for a lot of explaining. Looking forward to playing again. :)

Mod Notes & setup notes, etc:

Big Trouble in Little China Mafia.

Roles:

1: Jack Burton (Town)
2: Lo-Pan (Mafia)
3: Egg Shen (Town)
4: The Three Storms (Thunder, Rain, Lightning) (Mafia)
5. Wang Chi (Town)
6. Uncle Chu
7. Eddie Lee

*8 Gracie Law (Town)
*9 Miao Yin (Town)
*10 One Ear (Mafia goon)

Game notes influencing roles.

Everyone is lynch proof Day 1

Everyone is NK proof Night 1

As to Bus Driver switching, The mafia cannot be killed via Bus Driver interference, I.E, if Mafia targets town and town ends up switched with same mafia or other mafia, mafia is immune.

Jack's investigations reveal movie type flavor items, at random out of a poll of a few per character.

Lo-Pan Investigates as innocent/town/no read if and where applicable.

The Storms can block being investigated once, returns an "inconclusive result"

Wang Chi cannot kill, no one shot Vig ability.

His investigative ability is one shot, and will return an "no result" if mafia or "not mafia" if the target is not aligned with the mafia.

The Six Demon Bag.

~~~~~~~Role Descriptions~~~~~~~

1 Jack Burton (Town)
Flavor Cop. Cannot Self Target.
investigation result for Wang: Not Mafia

A Flavor Cop is an investigative role that is returned a piece of information (often taking the form of an object) pertaining to the flavor of its target's role. The types of objects and the form of information vary substantially based on the theme of the game. These results tend to force players to deduce what the target's role is likely to be and are often used for verifying claims.

Flavor Cop is distinguished from Thief in that it does not TAKE anything from its target (though in practice many moderators use Thief and Flavor Cop interchangeably).

Flavor Cop is distinguished from Gunsmith and its ilk in that it does not receive a binary "Guilty/Not Guilty" (or equivalent) result.

Flavor Cop is distinguished from Role Cop in that its result is ambiguous.

Flavor Cops are usually pro-Town.

Flavor Items:

Jack: Gun, Truck, Knife, another gun
Lo-Pan: Wheel Chair, Cane, platform shoes, needle
Egg Shen: Six Demon Bag, Potion, bus
Three Storms: Knives, hats, ema-piercers, Wind and fire wheels
Wang Chi: Money: Bottle, Jian
Uncle Chu: Chop Sticks, Won Ton, Watch
Eddie Lee: chop Sticks, Won Ton, watch

2. Lo-Pan (Mafia)
Mafia Godfather
Investigation result for Wang: No Result

A Godfather is a role that investigates as Innocent (or some other favorable result) to Cops, regardless of their actual alignment.

Any cop type investigation re-directs to a random townie. (dead or alive) and produces a result as if the redirected target was alive if dead.

3. Egg Shen (Town)
Sorcerer/Shaman/Witchdoctor/Inventor Hybrid.
Investigative Result for Wang: Not Mafia
Can give a potion to one random town (random effect)
Has the Six Demon Bag.
Can Give the Six Demon Bag to one random town per night. (random effect)

Look into this before completion.

4. The Three STorms (Mafia)
Lo-Pan's Enforcers. (Rain, Thunder, Lightning)
Investigation result for Wang: No Result

Can choose to kill via one of the three elements, acting as a ninja type role and being untrackable.

A Ninja is a role or role modifier such that the Ninja will never be seen as targeting anyone by a Tracker, Watcher, or other investigative role along these lines. It has been likened to the Tracker/Watcher equivalent to Godfather.

5. Wang Chi (Town)
Friend of Jack Burton
Investigation Result: Not Mafia
Jack of All Trades. (Cannot kill)
One Shot Cop, One shot Doc, One Shot Track, One Shot Bus Driver.
Cop is a "Town-Night-Loyal-Cop" Cannot Self Target.

• Once in the game, at night, you may target a player. If you target a player that is mafia, it will act as if you were roleblocked, and you will be given a "No Result". You will be given a result of "Not Mafia" if your target is not aligned with mafia.

6. Uncle Chu (Town)
Standard Doc. Cannot Self Target.
Neighbors With Eddie (may communicate via PM through me, does not know who "Eddie" is.)
Investigative Result for Wang: No Result

7. Eddie Lee (Town)
Jail Keeper. Cannot Self Target.
Neighbors with Uncle Chu. (May communicate with Uncle Chu via PM through Me, does not know who "Uncle Chu" is.)
Investigative Result for Wang: No Result

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The Who's who:

1: Jack Burton (Caluin Graye)
2: Lo-Pan (Leopold Stotch)
3: Egg Shen (Warng286) **Dead**
4: The Three Storms (Scott BErland) **Dead**
5. Wang Chi (Zemaj)
6. Uncle Chu (Noodle)
7. Eddie Lee (DiablotwoinDC)

Role PM's:

Big Trouble in Little China Role PM's

1 Jack Burton.

You are Jack Burton. You are Town.

You are a FLavor Cop.

Each night you may target two players and investigate them. If your action is successful, you will recieve one flavor item by name. Example: Pizza. You don;t actually take anything from your target, you just recieve information by way of an item. You will not recieve a "guilty/not guilty" ot Town or mafia type result.

You may target yourself.
You may target the same person more than once.

Wincon: You are Pro Town so to speak. You win the game when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

2. Lo-Pan:

You are Lo-Pan. You are Mafia. You are The Mafia Godfather.
To Cop investigations, you return an "innocent" or equivalent result.

Your Mafia Partner is:

The Mafia Private Chat QT is:

Wincon You win when the town is eliminated or rendered unable to outvote the mafia.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

3. Egg Shen

You are Egg Shen. You are Town.
You are a sorcer/Shaman/Witchdoctor/Inventor Hybrid
You have The Six Demon Bag. You may use it on two random players per nightm producing a random effect, including yourself.
You also have "The Smokey potion", you may give the smokey potion to one player per night (through me via PM) and it will produce a random protective or beneficial effect. If you happen to give the potion to a mafia player, it does nothing.

You may potion yourself.
You may six demon bag yourself.

Wincon: You wil when all threats to the town are eliminated.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

4. the Three STorms:

You are "The Three STorms" (Rain, Thunder and Lightning) rolled into one character. You are Mafia. You are LO-Pan's enorcers and hitmen. You may choose to kill via one of the three aformentioned elements (Rain, Lightning, Thunder)

Your Mafia Partner is:
The Mafia Private Chat QT is:

Wincon: You win when the town is eliminated or the town is rendered unable to outvote the mafia.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

5. Wang Chi:

You are Wang Chi. You are Town.
YOu are Jack Burton's Friend.
You are a One-shot-Jack-of-All-Trades. You cannot kill via Night ACtion.

Once per night, you may use one of the following one shot night actions:

One Shot Cop**, One shot Doc, One Shot Track, One Shot Bus Driver, One Shot Post Restriction, One Shot Roleblock, One shot Bullet Proof Vest***.

**Town-Night-Loyal-Cop

*** You can't use it yourself, you must give it to someone.

• Once in the game, at night, you may target a player. If you target a player that is mafia, it will act as if you were roleblocked, and you will be given a "No Result". You will be given a result of "Not Mafia" if your target is not aligned with mafia.

Wincon: You win when all threats to the town are eliminated.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

6. Uncle Chu:

You are Uncle Chu. You are Town.
You are The Doctor.

You may target one player pre night and save them from NK if they are targeted for an NK attempt. You may not target yourself.

You are also neighbors with another player. You may communicate at anytime during the game (night included) with that player via PM through me. You do not know the name or alignment of this player. Is he or she mafia? Is he or she town?

Wincon: You win when all the threats to the town have been eliminated.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

7. Eddie Lee:
You are Eddie Lee. You are The Town Jailkeeper. You are neighbors with another player.

Once per night you may target one player and Jail them. This prevents any night actions frm reaching them and also prevents any night actions they may possibly initiate from going into play. You may not target yourself.

You are also neighbors with another player. You do not know the name of this player nor thier alignment. You may communicate with this player as often as you like via PM through me, be it day or night period of the game. Is this player town? Maybe. Are they mafia? Who knows.

Night Actions log:

*****Log of Night Actions in BTILC Mafia*****

Notes and Rules as to Night Actions:

As to Night 1: Ching Dai interferes, blocking all kill attempts.

Other notes:

Night actions resolved using : The RAR (Reasonable Action Resolution System)

Everyone is/was lynch proof Day 1

Everyone is/was NK proof Night 1

As to Bus Driver switching, The mafia cannot be killed via Bus Driver interference, I.E, if Mafia targets town and town ends up switched with same mafia or other mafia, mafia is immune.

Jack's investigations reveal movie type flavor items, at random out of a poll of a few per character.

Lo-Pan Investigates as innocent/town/no read if and where applicable.

The Storms can block being investigated once, returns an "inconclusive result"

Wang Chi cannot kill, no one shot Vig ability.

His investigative ability is one shot, and will return an "no result" if mafia or "not mafia" if the target is not aligned with the mafia.

The Six Demon Bag produces a random effect (Via random roll from Random.org) on any player it is used on. This can be either Town or Mafia Players. The player has no control over what effects are produced.

Effects:

1. Kill protection (Bullet proof vest)
2. Stun (unable to complete night actions)
3. Random Post Restriction
4. Only able to "Hammer"
5. Can't vote.
6. Banish (Banishes the target player from the next day phase, rendering them unable to talk, but they can vote.)

Smokey Potion effects:

Allows one to do things no one can do, see things no one else can see...etc etc.

1. Pick one post last day phase and see if the player was lying.
2. Target one player and see if they targeted anyone during the night.
3.Counter an NK attempt
4. Resurrection after Lynch or NK, not both

^ These may be used mulltiple times but only once per person used on.

Night 1 Night Actions:

Ching Dai Interferes:

<<< All Kill Actions Are Blocked>>>

No night action from DiabloTwoinDC
Nothing from Leopold STotch or Scott Berland (No kill action from The Mafia)
CaluinGraye tagrets both Zemaj and Noodle.
Noodle Protects Leopold STotch
Noodle PM's his "neighbor" The following:

"If you haven't been actively posting, please do so! We desperately need participation. Thanks!"

Warng1286 uses the smokey potion on himself
Warng1286 unleashes the six demon bag (no target)
(See #3 below)

Zemaj targets his one shot cop power ar DiablotwoinDC

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

1: Jack Burton (Caluin Graye)
(Was player targeted by a night action?) No.

2: Lo-Pan (Leopold Stotch)
(Was Player Targeted by a night action?) Yes.
(Did the player die?) No.
(Was there a kill attempt?) No.
(Was there a protection or some other action?) Yes.
(Player Targeted by Noodle with standard Doc proection)

3: Egg Shen (Warng286)
(Was player targeted by a night ation?) Yes.
(Was the player a target of another night action?) Yes.
(Use smokey potion and six demon bag on himself)
-Rolling for Smokey Potion and Six demon bag result:
-SMP: 3 (Counter an NK attempt tonight)
-Six Demon Bag: 1 (Kill protection, Bullet Proof vest tonight only)
- In effect, Warng made himself NK immune for one night but was not targeted.

4: The Three Storms (Scott Berland)
(Was the player targeted by a night action?) No.

5. Wang Chi (Zemaj)
(Was the player Targeted By a Night Action?) Yes.
(Was the player targeted by an investigative or protective action?) Yes.- Targeted by Caluin Graye
Result to Caluin: Money, Bottle.

6. Uncle Chu (Noodle)
(Was player targeted by a night action?) yes.
(Was the player targeted by an investigative or protective action?) Yes. - Targeted by By Caluin Graye
Result to Caluin: Chop Sticks, Noodles

7. Eddie Lee (DiablotwoinDC)
(Was the player targeted by a night action?) Yes.
(Was night action a protective or investigative one?) No.
-Targeted by Noodle for communication at night.
"If you haven't been actively posting, please do so! We desperately need participation. Thanks!"

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Day two.

Leopold Stotch slaps DiablotwoinDc with a post restriction.

He can only post in images related to the movie in some way and cannot vote.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Night 2.

Leopold Stotch Post Restricts Zemaj (Blocked)

Caluin Graye targets Leopold Stotch and Scott Berland, Scott was modkilled so Caluin switched his target from Scott to DiablotwoinDC

zemaj Tracks Caluin Graye.

DiablotwoinDC jails Leopold Stotch (preventing her from performing a mafia NK and preventing her post restriction action targeted at zemaj

Leopold STotch targets Noodle for Mafia NK.
(Blocked by DiablotwoinDC's jailkeeper action.

Night 2 ends with no deaths.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Night 3:

DiablotwoinDC Jails Leopold Stotch.

Zemaj uses one shot bus driver on DiablotwoinCD and Noodle.
Noodle is D2inDC, D2inDC is Noodle.

Leopold Stotch targets Zemaj for the Mafia NK (Blocked by D2's Jailkeeper action.)

Leopold Stotch targets D2inDC (redirected from Noodle) for next day's post restricyion (Blocked by D2inDC)

Nothing from Noodle yet.

*End*

Thoughts and ramblings, things that were in idea but never made it into the game, commentary and stuffs:

Game setup:

Originally, Lo-Pan was going to be lynch proof. Lo-Pan would have been killable if Lo-Pan targeted the player who was Jack Burton for an NK. (As per the thrown knife in Lo-Pan's death scene) Jack would have counter-attacked Lo-Pan and Lo-Pan would have turned up dead one morning.

The Three Storms were meant to be played by three players. This did not happen due to the size of the game, they were rolled into one Role with flavor abilities from all three, which means that Mafia NK's performed by the Storms would have ended up like..so and so was found drowned in a puddle of water or so and so was found electrocuted. Since Scott Berland never submitted any NK attempts, this never happened, also his mod kill changed things. Also this would have made it so that there were five mafia players, but with the town also stacked with power roles...who knows what would have happened.

There was ever only one bus driver power and it was a one shot ability by Wang Chi. Egg Shen was not a/the bus driver as thought.

Egg Shen: I wanted to include the Six Demon Bag and the potion that Egg gives to Jack and the rest in the game, so after researching a bit I came up with a way to include them both. Since Warng1286 got himself modkilled, the effects of the potion and the bag did not really turn up in game. Warng used the potion and bag on himself first night and effectively made himself double NK immune. Though he was not targeted that night and then was modkilled the next day.

I wanted to make sure that the full flavor and "confusion" took effect properly, hence, I made everyone Lynch proof day one and NK proof night one. I did not want someone getting an investigative result and then ending up dead the next morning.

I would have included One ear as a mafia good and possibly The Lords of Death from the start of the movie. The Storms replaced The Lords and along with Gracie Law and Mao Yin, One Ear never made it into the game due to the number of players.

I had a thought of a one shot resurrection being possible from the use of the potion, but it never happened.

I also tried to be a bit vague while being truthful on the flavor items for the characters that Jack Burton got during his investigation, some people had specific items, some had the same item on purpose.

Thoughts and comments on the game:

I've thought of a strategy for day 1 (assuming I'm understanding all the rules correctly):

• From reading about mafia games, there are probably 2/7 of us that are mafia?
  • Typically a townsperaon dies on day 1 (even pure random chance is 5/7)
  • From the rules, a lynch would require 4/7 votes on day 1. But, only 3/6 votes on day 2?
[highlight]So, my idea is to try and prevent any lynch on day 1, keeping the 4 vote requirement intact as long as possible. Everyone can vote in a circle. That way each person gets 1 vote. Even if the 2 mafia deviate, they would only mount 3 votes, not enough for a lynch.[/highlight]

I've never played this game before, so I don't know what kind of night abilities might be out there to disrupt this plan? But, I hope this would keep us all alive to at least find out what some of those abilities are.

What do you guys think?

This is bad.
While in this particular game, it did not hurt much...in a regular mafia game, this gives the mafia a free pass into the night phase. Where a town player will die for sure (not counting a Doc save or other night action in play). The town should ideally always lynch, at least for information. If you're not sure on who you want to lynch, there's RVS (random voting for any reason), just to provoke a reaction and generate some discussion.

Hmm.. Is anybody going to vote? I guess if nobody votes nobody gets lynched? ..

My suggestion is the alphabetical circular vote, everyone voting the person below them: (and Zemaj voting Caluin Graye)
1. Caluin Graye
2. DiablotwoinDC
3. Leopold STotch
4. Noodle
5. Scott Berland
6. Warng1286
7. Zemaj

This is also bad for the same reason as the above quote. The Mafia Still gets a free pass.

I'm not really sure why we have 48hr days... No one posts until the last twelve hours...

And to address a topic raised "yesterday": lynching is the way town gets solid confirmation of anything that anyone says. Typically, I would argue that because of this, it's in towns interest to lynch daily. Recently though, meta has changed. Now, with games so small (<10 players is TINY), coupled with how little posting actually occurs, lynching at every opportunity has less positive effect. When no one has really posted much of anything, seeing the result of a lynch gives virtually no information, as there is nothing to compare for inconsistencies. Paired with that, in recent games we have been getting flip info from nk's and even mod-kills, so when we get that info anyway, it gives us as much as blindly firing from the hip, which is what we'd be doing to lynch anyone at this point. We lose the chance at lynching a scum, but without a clear lead, we would run the risk of lynching a townie and basically accelerating the game in the scums favor.

So to summarize: lynching daily is better in big, complex games. For our purposes now, biding our time is better, even if it does basically make the game crawl for the first bit.

I went with 48 hour days because that's how games have always been here, if it's thought that longer day periods might be in order, bring it up for discussion.

This is bad.
While in this particular game, it did not hurt much...in a regular mafia game, this gives the mafia a free pass into the night phase. Where a town player will die for sure (not counting a Doc save or other night action in play). The town should ideally always lynch, at least for information. If you're not sure on who you want to lynch, there's RVS (random voting for any reason), just to provoke a reaction and generate some discussion.

Yea, I see.. I had no idea about all these NK and special powers. I initially thought the ONLY way people died was through lynching. :oops:

edit: Haha. I knew it! @Leopold Stotch "Kurt Russell" post restriction was BS! :p

I tend to agree on the early game lynching. Although this is only my 3rd game, from what I've seen people hold grudges when they are arbitrarily targeted for a lynch-- for no other reason than to "shake things up." I will stipulate that a "shaken" game is better than one infested by "crickets" --but I'm more in favor of requiring everyone to post SOMETHING (as opposed to lurking in the shadows) than to play "eeeny meenie miney moe" and voting to lynch someone with little or no evidence.

Beyond that, I'll leave you with some inspirational weekend tune-age:

Every game is different Scott.

By holding a grudge, if you mean Noodle and Bad Ash...that's an old Forum Tradition here. Its a given.

Though your [highlight]-but I'm more in favor of requiring everyone to post SOMETHING (as opposed to lurking in the shadows) than to play "eeeny meenie miney moe" and voting to lynch someone with little or no evidence."[/highlight]

is also bad for the same reasons that I pointed out for D2inDC's two earlier posts. You're essentially giving the mafia a free pass. If you don't have someone to vote for because of some concrete reason, then vote randomly just for a reaction and to try and get some discussion going. That's the way this game works. I feel you still have to learn a bit.

Don't know about anyone else, but I do find the youtube vids distracting - just saying.

Interesting... So, barring the possibility that mod forgot to PM/didn't hit send, we have a daytime post restricter. That is different, but then I suppose we were warned this game would be different.

Really makes me wonder if perhaps it wasn't just SS pulling mod-magic for D2inDC tolling him, as I don't see what anyone would gain from a post restriction on the newbie... Or it was another newbie going "Cool! I have a button, what does it do?"

I alllowed Leo to daytime post restrict one time, since Lo-Pan acted in broad daylight when he blinded jack Burton at the end of the Alley fight scene.

I'm taking Pre-Ins for my next mafia game here, to start at some point after Calun Graye's finishes, and possibly even later.

I'm The Silver Shroud, so the theme will be....FALLOUT 4!

Leave me contact info (phone number to text or email) if you are not around regularly and want to /in!

I'm taking Pre-Ins for my next mafia game here, to start at some point after Calun Graye's finishes, and possibly even later.

I'm The Silver Shroud, so the theme will be....FALLOUT 4!

Leave me contact info (phone number to text or email) if you are not around regularly and want to /in!

I'm obviously in. Love these games.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High