2017 Winter RFL Signup and Running Thread: Grande Finale

Most likely skipping the grand finale. Shitty performance at Round 2 and no need for runes does not do good for your needs to run Cows.

Good luck everyone though! #TeamPharphis4Zod

Grape
Pb_pal
pharphis (1.07)
NanoMist
Burgomaster3 (1.13/1.07)
ILikeRocks
Noodle
Brak
paradisebunny
ffs
Lynchgrinch
Gripphon
maxicek
Diablo2inDC (1.07)
DaveW
----------------------------

BBQ time! Running a few chars, mainly sorcs and necros.

Last edited:
Grape
Pb_pal
pharphis (1.07)
NanoMist
Burgomaster3 (1.13/1.07)
ILikeRocks
Noodle
Brak
paradisebunny
ffs
Lynchgrinch
Gripphon
maxicek
Diablo2inDC (1.07)
DaveW
Tokerdin

im in!!!!
I need to make up for round 2 with only ~6 hours run my score doesn't look so good
ill be running with my blizz sorc unless i can come up with something else in one week lol

Not the worst idea to have another build(s) ready to carry the torch when Javazon starts to feel boring, as I suspect that might happen!
Exactly my reasoning. My biggest fear is that the Cow level gets super boring really fast.

I did few test runs, and also really liking Trapper for this one as well. Basically just Fire Blast and Death Sentry. Assassin has amazing mobility with 102 FCR and BoS and the Death Sentry is on par with the Corpse Explosion, only negative thing being that you cannot really control it as you please. But it's still more than viable, and fun to play.

Gripphon, big lol indeed! Thanks :D :D

#ZodForTeam1.07! would be an epic ending to the RFL!

It is gonna be interesting battle for the second place on RFL :D As with second round, I'll also keep RFO type of scoring for the third round as well. So far there are only two set of scores which are mine from the last Zodthon with 142.1 and 133.5. Here getting over 100 is hardish since my expected RFO score was ~115, so got lucky on both of my sets. I wonder how will things go in here too.

Here are list of characters players could test/play to keep cows somewhat interesting of a target. I'll name only those who can aim to have somewhat efficient running. Normally bowazon or rabies druid could be used too otherwise.

Blizzard sorc
Lightning sorc (you can try Crescent Moon runeword too)
Fireball sorc
Nova necro
Nova/summon necro
Summon necro
Trapper
Javazon
Hammerdin

Also, I'm really looking forward to read what players are testing and with what success as well as some theorycrafting in this thread. I kinda won't test things before actual start to not get Zod or whatever too early. I'm confident in my math skills to know how things might work even without testing for some characters :D

Here are list of characters players could test/play to keep cows somewhat interesting of a target. I'll name only those who can aim to have somewhat efficient running.

Hammerdin

Is this the part where I get all optimistic again, start considering actually running in the Grande Finale with my Hammerdin, only to see after 15 hours that this was a bad idea? ;)

Damn you. Damn you @Gripphon.

I guess someone needs to test Hammerdin as well, sigh. For academic purposes, right?

Grape
Pb_pal
pharphis (1.07)
NanoMist
Burgomaster3 (1.13/1.07)
ILikeRocks
Noodle
Brak
paradisebunny
ffs
Lynchgrinch
Gripphon
maxicek
Diablo2inDC (1.07)
DaveW
Tokerdin
Neksja

Grape
Pb_pal
pharphis (1.07)
NanoMist
Burgomaster3 (1.13/1.07)
ILikeRocks
Noodle
Brak
paradisebunny
ffs
Lynchgrinch
Gripphon
maxicek
Diablo2inDC (1.07)
DaveW
Tokerdin
Neksja
T72on1

Of course I'm in !!! Let the Zods rain from the sky.

Let's get this started. :) Don't know if I can handle playing Java for 20 hours haha.. but I'm going to start with it. After end of round 2 I tested a few cow runs, running Javazon, Sorc (Lightning & Blizzard) and Nec (PN/CE and summoner). For me, Java was quickest by significant margin, with Lightning Sorc relatively close second. However I'm also not very experienced with Necromancer, but since I've got all the necessary gear I might try to improve, I can imagine with some practice it's very strong.

As far as Java goes, for me runs look more or less like this at the moment:

Far from an optimal run, not the best density distribution a Java would like to see, also a few misclicks and screw ups, but give or take I guess it's pretty much an average run.

Any tips for improvements are always welcome! ;)

Also few points maybe worth thinking about when doing this with Java:
  • Merc: I'm going with Defiance. Didn't like HF Merc because it actually slowed herding down quite a bit, and not much safety lost either. Currently using Infinity, ebug Fortitude, Andy's with RJoF, probably not going to change this setup.
  • Shield: Assuming people don't walk around with JMoDs, it's probably either HHG or Lidless + RBF. Moser's doesn't really shine in Cow level where resists and max block are not required. Apart from 3os, HHG doesn't offer much for these runs though. Run above is with Lidless + RBF and Silkweaves which means never running into mana issues (on 40% IAS) and decent damage. Obviously that's also assuming no 1.07 hax rings :) which would of course mean things like random 4x RBF Monarchs are viable.
  • Regarding damage: Assuming Griffon's & Infinity, full skiller inventory is probably not required. Not sure yet what a good sweet spot is for /p7 as far as damage threshold. Run above is with 3400 LF damage. Tested 3000 with more inventory space and it was "kind of similar", but hard to tell because runs are always a bit different.
  • FCR: I think it's worth prebuffing CtA (runs are couple of minutes after all) and then using Wizardspike for 99% FCR on switch for the run. Running with CtA on tele switch felt surprisingly a lot more dangerous, some NDEs and in general I had to pot quite a bit.
  • CBF: Not sure whether Raven is required. When paying attention it's probably not necessary to sacrifice the ring slot. Maybe a 1-2 thawing potions in inventory are also an option.
Anyway, looking forward to this! Actually though I also kinda just want to get it over with haha. :)

Damn you. Damn you @Gripphon.

Oa4K6mW.jpg

Also, good start on theorycraft in this thread. Moar!

So playing around with cows, they're pretty straightforward. One thing maybe people have more experience with, how do you decide how dense to get your herds? I've found I'm often missing drops because I'm packing too many cows in a kill zone, but it's a lot more efficient to hit them in big bunches.

I also lucked out on a great Stony Field map for fast leg gathering

Finally, I was really happy to find this during a practice run
Code:
 Serpent's Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x7de06110
Item Level: 81
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+20 to Life
+16 to Mana

What a coincidence, because I was just wondering the same. I bit the bullet and pushed my 99er Sorc forward through the game, past Ancients and Baal, and did some test runs with her. Fire Sorc kills very fast in Cowland, but my merc was using a Delirium helm, and cows would come from so far, that I had very big crowds. Easy to kill, but I had the impression I didn't even see half of the stuff on the ground. Quite easy to miss something like that. So I was thinking about changing the merc's helm to Andy's and then try to take on them in smaller groups, but I'm still wondering the same thing Brak is wondering about.

Btw, I got very lucky too, as I got a near perfect Stony Field map right off the bat, meaning I can continue LK for now as well, and already mix in more Cows if I want to.

O yes, already one nice item from the few test runs:

View attachment 4978

I'll dive in more detail with my test runs tomorrow, I'll need to kill Ancients and Baal in order to gain access to cows and see how I'm doing there with a Hammerdin.

Initially, I was planning on just keeping my current setup that standard Hammerdin uses for CS runs. Now after the post by @ffs, I'm thinking about getting a Defiance Merc instead of Holy Freeze to keep those Moos walking faster and being hit by my hammers. Hammerdin should not be in any grave danger in Moo farm anyway, so Holy Freeze doesn't bring much to the table, where as in CS it's obviously quite useful. The big problem for me is that I'd lose my map after RFL when getting my HF Merc back, which has a decent Travincal Map (screw Travincal though), awesome RoF Superchest map, awesome LK Superchest map and decent Nihlathak map, so at the moment it's pretty good for me if I need to switch things around for a bit of a break from CS runs and still keeping efficient runs together. Also, me and Zanarhi have been on this journey for closer to 50 levels now, I'd hate to fire him now.

Things are changing big time now for Round 3. I have a @Gripphon made Avatar, so if I am not finding that Zod, then I'll never find it. (and it's the only one missing from my Hammerdins rune drop grail)

I like dat avatar :D

Also, HF really might be counterproductive for cows as mentioned. On java I use might merc to have better leeches with physical part of Fury. For anything else, either might or defiance I assume. For hammer probably defiance, for sorcs and other stuff might merc. Well, might merc is obligatory for CE characters, while for sorcs it is pretty irrelevant what merc is.

Last edited:
The charms keep coming
Code:
 Shimmering Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xa91e2ad
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+2 to Dexterity
All Resistances +5

Also I'm 'stuck' with my Prayer/Insight merc. Works well for when I accidentally tele into a pack of cows.

Hammerdin, I'd say definitely too slow for competitive Rune Finding at Cows. It takes me around 5 minutes to clear the whole level (includes getting the leg), although I'm still fairly inexperienced in it, but I doubt I can drop it that much. My Hammerdin is pretty much fully decked, I can't really get better damage any more unless I play with full stash and use couple of more skillers (which I have not even found yet), but that doesn't seem to really make it or break it. The fact that they are 33% Magic resistant really shows.

With a bit more experience and practice at herding, I might be looking at 250 runs during 20 hours. I wouldn't be surprised if a godly geared Javazon with a hands of an experienced Cow runner reaches 500 runs or more. On the other hand, I got like 4 runes per run, so if that's the average, I'll need to find a qualifier every 200 runes or so to get 5 and a "complete score". And I estimated that in 20 hours, I'd gain around 5 mil in XP, so that's something at lvl98 :)

Holy Freeze Merc. At least for the practice runs, I'll be keeping him. I guess vs your typical caster type runners like Sorc and Javazon, Hammerdin is a lot more hands on, where you spend a lot of time near cows or in the middle of the pack to make sure you hit with your hammers. At least for the few runs I did, Holy Freeze seemed very helpful when there's 10 cows swinging their poleaxes at you, so it's best that they don't do that super fast. Even with Max Block and high-ish defense, Hammerdin gets hit surprisingly often there, so limiting the attack speed of cows will help. Not sure how much Defiance Merc would help in terms of not getting hit that often, but I have a feeling that Holy Freeze works better since you have more time to teleport out of the pack if things get too hot. Also slows your runs down, but I am at a point where I just can't die anymore if I want to make 99.

edit.

Might be a silly question, but everyone's running /p7 right? Or is it similar to Travincal where some lower player setting will be better for efficiency?

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High