1.09 News, Info and Gossip - Make 1.09 Great Again

Did the test, looks fine. I'll start running..

Base:
Code:
Sacred Rondache 
Defense: 238 
Chance to Block: 0 
Durability: 35 of 35 
Required Level: 52 
Required Strength: 99 
Fingerprint: 0x99926d43 
Item Level: 74 
Version: Expansion 
All Resistances +5 Ethereal

Eth-bugged in 1.14d:
Code:
Sacred Rondache 
Defense: 357 
Chance to Block: 0 
Fingerprint: 0x99926d43 
Version: Expansion 
All Resistances +5 Ethereal 
2 Sockets (0 used)

I hope that my failed 50%/50% was this one =)

m4ke

Reactions: art_vandelay
Huh, is there some place / documents / etc where I could find quality levels of base items for example? I suck with google =/

Area levels are capped in 1.09 so I want to know what elite bodys can drop from racks. For that I need to know the item qlvl's..

m4ke

Edit: This is the best so far:
Code:
Sacred Rondache
Defense: 225
Chance to Block:  53%
(Paladin Only)
Item Version: Expansion
Fingerprint: 0x340d888a
All Resistances +29
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Edit2: Diablo Wiki tells "Item level". Is that qlvl? For example for Balrog Skin it is 76 which can't drop and Great Hauberk 75 the same? And Loricated Mail is the best that can drop I quess.

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe I should explore a bit deeper what's inside of those MPQ's =)

m4ke

Thanks! Maybe I should explore a bit deeper what's inside of those MPQ's =)

m4ke
It's not that hard, most of the statistics of the game are in there. They differ by version though.

Did you try muling RWs with ATMA in 1.09? Does it work without corruption?

@art_vandelay Should there be a thread for 1.10(betas) too? Now 1.10a/s stuff has been in multiple threads.

1.09 area levels are capped to 75 so I picked one RackSin from my 1.07 stash and sent her to 1.10s (I NEED muling app =) to look for a Balrog Skin / Hellforge Plate / something rack. She will start today.

My Mercs in current patch have mostly 1.07 eth Archon Plates so there is room to be better.

I'm getting closer to acceptable base:
Code:
Sacred Rondache
Defense: 220
Chance to Block:  53%
(Paladin Only)
Item Version: Expansion
Fingerprint: 0xbc9608c4
All Resistances +35
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

m4ke

I'll set up a thread in a while.

Been leveling my Paladin in the Ancient's Way/Icy Cellar and just met this:
wtf.png
I died the second I started zealing him. I have 980 life and 7% Lightning Resistance as well as 16 MDR. The bolts do 91 base damage each which is 85 (rounded up) after res and 69 after MDR. That means it takes 15 bolts to kill me.
If I was standing directly on top of him and zealed that could very well have happened within a second... this game sucks 🙃

EDIT: Sometimes stuff like that can be avoided at least:
nope.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jocular
Luckily not HC.. Think positive =) Those monsters make me remember to S&E when I see that the Council is Fanatic Might Enchanted.

m4ke

I wanted to know whether it was true that MDR applied after resistances in 1.09, so I did a bit of research and found this post by Jarulf:
The first sentence claims that MDR is "now" applied before resistances, the post was never edited and appeared on "25-Aug-01". That is five days after the release of 1.09. This means that MDR is not as good as absorb in 1.09.

However it makes me hopeful that in 1.07/1.08 it is applied after resistances.

Paladin is quite weak without good life items. 75% block chance at 2 frames wont help much when you're getting 1 hitted. Charging boss packs without chcecking their mods is a stupid idea and you were served justly. Love clearing A5 caverns as well, but I do it with my frenzier.

Oh, I scan every bosspack alright but that didn't help me there, I simply didn't think I would die that fast. :D

I think caverns are probably among the best places for XP if you can't do cows efficiently since you can get so many champion packs. I think it's detrimental to go for minions though, they don't get any XP or level bonuses in 1.09 yet they receive extra life.

I made a comparison of Zeal Weapons and took Baranar's, Fury BA, Cruel Chippy Mythical Swords, Schaefer's Hammer and 1.07 Mythical Sword Crafts into consideration:
109ZealWeaponFinalProper.png
  • range+ is rangeadder, only Fury BA has 2, all other options have 1.
  • IAS for 4fpa Zeal is given for Fana level 20 and level 23 since those are the most common levels where you get extra speed. As the table shows it doesn't make a difference except for Baranar's which can profit from level 23 more than 20.
  • IAS is the IAS found on the weapon while IAS+ is IAS needed in the level 20/23 Fana cases.
  • ED is on-weapon enhanced damage.
  • Min and Max are weapon damage after application of bonuses.
  • Weap. Avg. is the average of those two.
  • DS is Deadly Strike.
  • Weap. Avg. with DS is Weap. Avg. multiplied by (1+DS/100)
  • Off-weapon ED and max damage is not taken into account but at least the off-weapon ED can be ignored safely.

The assumption is that the character wears HLW, Gore Riders and Guillaume's Face for 50% CB and 66% Deadly Strike at clvl 96. Furthermore I assume that a rich player with clvl 96 will easily be able to come up with the necessary AR to reach at least 90% CtH vs. level 90 monsters (needs roughly 4200 AR) at which point an "Eth" should be beaten by "Ohm", "Lo" or 40/15 jewel. I still included 5 weapons with "Eth" for the "poor man" and to see how they compare.
(How to get 4200 AR? One can get around +300% from Fanaticism and investment in Zeal. So that means about 1050 base AR which betweeen Raven Frost, dex for Max Block and AR boosts on the weapon should be doable)

I did not consider socketing Ber runes because there simply aren't enough productive opportunities to farm them (there are two patterns in 1.09 RoF) whereas Lo's can drop in 1.07 LK and RoF and there are two Ohm patterns in 1.08 LK. Furthermore 1.09 has some Ohm and Lo patterns in LK as well.

I also did not consider IAS on the weapon to be super crucial unless it's a weapon like Schaefer's which is exceptionally slow. Finally I did not take Lance Guard into consideration, maybe that's worth it? Who knows.

So to the conclusions:
  • Baranar's "Eth" is about as good as a Cruel Chippy with 220% ED and no two free sockets, disappointing.
  • Baranar's with "Lo" or "Ohm" is slightly better but ultimately beaten by Fury.
  • Next best thing by a mile is 300% Cruel Chippy with "Eth" and two naked 40% ED jewels. This is comparatively cheap when you consider what you get for a "Lo"/"Ohm" in a Baranar's or a "Jah" in Fury.
  • Another big jump to the 300% Cruel Chippies with "Ohm" and "Lo" combinations which don't take much from each other.
  • The next plateau are 300% Cruel Chippies of Evisceration (perfect) again socketed with "Ohm"/"Lo" combos.
  • Just as damaging as the last three weapons is a simple 511% ED craft from 1.07 with "Eth" and two naked 40% ED jewels.
  • Finally the top spots are taken by the most insane 1.07 craft possible. Obviously you will never get those, they are just for scale. :p
  • Schaefer's is on it's own because it's impossible to compare the Static effect properly. Again "Lo" and "Ohm" are equally good and beat a "40/15" jewel by a few points of damage while being realistically farmable. The only drawback is that they don't have IAS but the lack of Fortitude in 1.09 means a Griswold's with three IAS jewels isn't the end of the world.
In absence of insane luck the most realistic options are just using a Baranar's, a high roll Cruel Chippy with damage jewels or a high ED roll 1.07 craft with damage jewels. Fury is by far the most disappointing since despite it's Deadly Strike bonus it is so easily beaten by a Cruel Chippy which can be farmed in normal (and damage jewels which can be farmed in LK).

I would argue that Cruel Mythical Swords of Evisceration which are high roll on both are prohibitively rare and so it's better to go for a 1.07 craft if one wants to improve over the high roll Cruel Chippy with damage jewels.

Finally Schaefer's "Ohm"/"Lo" beats all the realistic weapons except the "simple" 1.07 craft in physical damage and has static to boot.

That's about it, next I'll look at barb weapons and I might include Ber and CB there since Barb can get closer to 100% CB thanks to Goblin Toes.

I'll read the whole thing later but just one question. Did you score all those Ohm's and Lo's running RFL =)

m4ke

Beautiful.

How does a MS's durability hold up? Can it do a whole cow run or caverns run? I can imagine that being an issue.

Barbarian edition would be great!

@m4ke Nope, didn't run 1.09 :p

@Delsy MS has less durability than Colossus Blade (6 points I think) and with WW Barb I have to repair about every 2-3 Ice Cave runs. He attacks about as often as Paladin (both 4fpa) so that should be a good benchmark.

Ok, did Barb now. I didn't feel like looking at Frenzy since I don't know how how weapon speed is factored into it in 1.09 whereas WW is the same as in modern. I considered the Grandfather, Doombringer, "Fury", Cruel Chippy Colossus Blades and 1.07 Colossus Blade Crafts:
109WWFinal.png
  • range+ is rangeadder, it's 2 on every weapon considered.
  • WSM is Weapon Speed Modifier of the weapon in question.
  • IAS is Increased Attack Speed ON the weapon itself (after socketing).
  • fpa is frames per attack for this weapon, best is 4, all weapons here are below 10. Only Grandfather get's 8 sometimes.
  • ED is on-weapon Enhanced Damage.
  • Min and Max are weapon damage after application of bonuses.
  • Weap. Avg. is the average of those two.
  • dps is what the damage per second would be if we ignore off-weapon ED and Min/Max. (But I multiply by 2 for DS so the differences between the weapons are more pronounced)
  • CB is Crushing Blow with Guillaume and Goblin Toe while CB (1.07) assumes an additional 15% from 1.07 Greater Blood Crafts.
  • Finally CB/s and CB/s (1.07) are the average amount of Crushing Blows per second with this weapon.
All of this is assumed to be with 2 weapons and the dps / CB columns reflect the weapon under consideration but not the second one.

First off the assumptions are that the character wears Goblin Toe and Guillaumes and is at level 96 (Important for the damage on Grandfather). Of course we abuse the mastery bug for 100% Critical Strike and so I don't look at Deadly Strike on equipment at all.

Another thing I just take for granted is that all weapons have range 2, anything below that throws away damage because of targets that are out of range during a whirl. Baranar's is out because of that.

This base setup has 60% Crushing Blow and since CB scales with players in 1.09 my assumption is that dual-wield WW is always better than using a 2H weapon because you get twice the amount of Crushing Blow procs. For the CB columns at the end I also considered 1.07 Blood Crafts for gloves which can get another 15% CB. These are probably best for Cows or Ice Caves because so few monsters are Demons or Undead there.

Again I assumed that one can get enough AR somehow to reach 90% CtH. For reference I made these tables of AR needed for 95% CtH against every monster in act 5 and another table to show what CtH you have at 4k AR. I forgot to add Cows but they have the same Defense as a Siege Beast so you can still use this table for them.
ARfor95CtH.png
CtHat4kAR.png
For some weapons I considered "Eth" as a cheap option but whenever I did I kept the other sockets filled with cheap stuff as well, so no "EthOhmOhm" combo. If you have two Ohms you can get enough AR somehow.

I avoided weapons/socketings which result in 8fpa WW except for Grandfather to have an example to point to why speed always beats more weapon damage.

Conclusions:
I included a 235% ED Chippy CB with "EthShaelShael" as a baseline to compare against. Everything that is at least as good is green while everything that is worse is yellow. If a direct comparison isn't possible I used Orange.
  • Doombringer and "Fury" straight up lose against the baseline sword which you can easily farm in Normal. Note that Doombringer can't be made to reach a higher fpa in any way. Also look at how "Fury" CS is much worse than CB or BA just because it doesn't reach 4fpa.
  • Grandfather without speed up is worse than the baseline sword and in fact Grandfather "Ohm" is why I chose 235% ED on the baseline sword at all. Both "Shael" and (40/15) are better than the baseline sword in damage but have way less CB procs. If you compare them to a perfect 300% ED Chippy sword they don't look so hot anymore though.
  • The Chippy swords range quite a bit in damage. The peaks are "Readiness" with two 40/15s and "Ohm", "Swiftness" with 40/15 and two "Ohm" as well as "Quickness" with three "Ohm". These three don't take much from each other in terms of damage but obviously the more IAS you have on the weapon the easier it is to actually get the necessary socketfillers. (Ohm is much easier to find than 40/15, german affix calc is down but this is hardly a close call)
  • I included a "Ber" option for "Swiftness" and "Quickness" because it really bumps up the CB/s figures but I stopped at one Ber because with 1.07 Craft Gloves you would only get 5% CB from the second Ber. The damage on these two is not much worse than the top three but still noticeably lower. I guess this would have to be playtested (good luck with that)
  • Finally an "Alacrity" with "Eth", "Shael" and (40/0) is the next best thing for a poor man after the perfect 300% ED one without IAS.
  • The CCBoEvisceration is socketed with two "Shael" simply because you can't make up a loss in speed with damage jewels/runes. All in all it does quite well and although it is much harder to find then the big three ("Readiness", "Swiftness", "Quickness") it is by far the easiest to socket.
  • For 1.07 Crafts I again included a plain 511% ED sword for the "poor man" (who is rich without knowing it yet) to compare against. As expected it beats every single sword we looked at so far by miles, just ridiculous.
  • Again I believe the last two 1.07 Crafts to be the best swords possible for a 1.09 WW barb but of course they're unattainable.
Unlike Zeal there's no good nobrainer like Baranar's for a unique/RW option, all the uniques/RWs eventually do less damage or apply less CB than a high roll Cruel Chippy, really disappointing to say the least.

The three top Cruel Chippies "Readiness", "Swiftness" and "Quickness" are the absolute best you're going to get in 1.09 but the "Alacrity" and "plain" Chippies can be very powerful options on the cheap.

The Evisceration option is weaker than the top three and much less likely to occur (needs two perfect rolls) so it's more of a theoretical thing at this point.

Again 1.07 Crafts win and a low one is not that far out of reach while giving you better damage than any 1.09 sword.

Hard to believe that people considered the Grandfather a good weapon once upon a time. This is another unique down on the list of "rarest items" (and not findable by running Mephisto) in the game you can either beat with an easy alternative or rack in 1.07/1.08.
Only things I considered in TC81+ are Messerschmidt's (no IAS, so no Fury weapon), Schaefer's (actually contender for best Zeal weapon), Tal's Armor (rackable in 1.07/1.08), Grandfather (see above), BK Swords (rackable in 1.07/1.08 and weak in 1.09), Windforce (best bow) and Nat's Mark (rackable in 1.07/1.08).

So for a time traveler (1.07+) running 1.09 Act 5 SUs the only good things you can hope for you couldn't get from Mephisto or a rack are Schaefer's and Windforce. Depressing to say the least. :LOL:

I wanted to post on the old forum after a long time of inactivity, and I noticed they're pretty much dead, and found this one here.

I'm happy to find there's still a 1.09 thread around here! It's the only patch that I play heh.

Anyways, I have a question. Is there a list of all the affixes that can spawn on rare items in 1.09? Both LoD and Classic if possible?

I know the list of possible affixes for rares aren't the same as in 1.10+. But I could not find any info on the internet about this. And with all the years I've spent playing 1.09 SP, I don't think I've ever found a usable rare item. So either I'm really unlucky, or the rares are terrible in 1.09 lol

Also I suspect that the rare and magic affixes spawn is biased towards low level affixes. Whenever I identify an item, I seem to get a lot more stuff like +13% ED, or 1-4 fire damage, or +1 life than higher level affixes. Even when rolling a Balrog blade I bought at Larzuk with 3 chipped gems in hopes of getting Cruel.

Reactions: art_vandelay
Usually you could use the german affix calculator, but that one is currently down. So the next best thing are the actual pre- and suffix lists the game uses. I added those as an attachment. You have to open them with excel/libreoffice.

Now first on the chippy recipe, a Balrog Blade can't get Cruel. The only six elite swords which can get Cruel from the chippy recipe are:
  • Conquest Sword
  • Cryptic Sword
  • Mythical Sword
  • Champion Sword
  • Colossus Sword
  • Colossus Blade
It's easy to remember: an elite sword can get Cruel from the chippy recipe if and only if its name starts with "C" or "M" :D

Secondly I already looked at the differences in affixes from 1.09 to 1.10a. In 1.09:
  • "Ferocious" (+(100-200)% ED), "Strange" (+(151-300) AR), Master's" (+151-250) AR/+(101-150%) ED), "Cruel" (+(201-300)% ED), "Godly" (+(101-200)% Enhanced Defense), "Great Wyrm's" (+(61-90) to Mana) can't spawn on rares.
  • "Chromatic" only gives +(21-25)% to all resists instead of +(21-30)%.
  • Supposedly "Mechanist's" gives only 1os instead of 1-2. (Not 100% sure on this)
  • "of Atlas" (+(21-30) Strength), "of the Giant" (+(10-15) Strength) can't spawn on rares.
  • Life leech can't spawn on amulets and mana leech can't spawn on rings (only dual leech rings in 1.09 are forwarded items from 1.00-1.06b)
  • "of Intertia" on small charms has it's value of +3% FRW set to +5% FRW upon item creation.
Finally in 1.10 final the modifier "of the Titan" (+(16-20) Strength) can now also spawn on rares.

So yeah, rares in 1.09 are a good deal worse than in 1.10+: no Cruel, no Master's to stack with Cruel, no 2os and no huge stats (Strength). And of course no dual leech rings/amulets. (except for Crescent Moon unique amulet and forwards from Classic 1.00-1.06b)

Attachments

• MagicPrefix.txt
    56 KB · Views: 3
  • MagicSuffix.txt
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Erayz
Now first on the chippy recipe, a Balrog Blade can't get Cruel.
Oh my that's embarrassing! I've probably wasted hundreds of chipped gem on that sword ! Glad I asked then hehe

Thanks a lot for the information, and the quick response! I'll keep those files for reference.

BTW, how did you get those files?

How would one play this patch? I tried copying my 1.00 folder, then did a fresh install of LoD on top of that (from CD-images). Tried applying the patch via the patch executable, but it gives me error "This patch cannot be applied because it is for a different version of the game." I guess I could just try a fresh install of the whole thing from 1.00. Is there a way to manually patch it somehow? I have the files in TrenShadow's version switcher.

Edit: got it manually working (or at least it started.)

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High