1.09 News, Info and Gossip - Make 1.09 Great Again

@silospen this is awesome wow! I didn't think you would have time to go back to 1.09 with the committment to d2r :)

Would there ever be a chance for gomule to work with 1.00 or 1.07? Asking for an obsessive collector... :D

Reactions: BBS_Agonistes
I'm pretty sure the only one that has the 1.07/1.08 save file figured out is the creator of ATMA.

I do have the format for 1.00-1.03 (and basically for 1.04-1.06b as well) thanks to @Fruit and some investigation on my own based on the work of Trevin who figured out 1.09 save files. The only problem is that you need the game's actual item generation code in order to display items because guess what: 1.00-1.06 only save the seed that was used to generate the item's stats but not the stats themselves :D

I've got a question about rare items generation in 1.09, specifically for Classic, I haven't found the answer on Google or anywhere here in this thread.

How are affixes chosen on rares? Are they weighed in a way that you get mostly low level affixes, or do all affixes have equal chances of spawning on rares? And what about the number of affixes that spawn, I know it's always between 3 and 6, but are the chances of getting 3 affixes the same as getting 6 ?

I ask because I've played some D2R Classic HC and I've found that good rares seem much more common than in 1.09. Most of what I get in 1.09 seem to have some useless affix, such as "+1 life", or very low ED% on armors and weapons, if any, and rarely 6 affixes.

Note that I'm aware 1.09 had some restriction of what affixes could spawn on rares, but it only applies to LoD rares as far as I know, since all restricted affixes are exclusive to LoD.

Also, it seemed to me that 1.06 rares were more consistently good than in 1.09.

I don't know if all I'm saying is just confirmation bias, bad luck with rolls, or a combination of both, I kinda want to know if I'm wasting my time farming rares in 1.09 classic when I could do so in 1.06.

Was leveling my Necro in the cow level today, and found this:

1637888079707.png

This is the 3rd HR I've ever found in all the time I've played 1.09. The other two being Ohm and Jah.

If I could find an Ist, I'd be able to make Silence. Though I'm not sure what build would use it best.
If I could find a Gul, I'd make a Fury.

If I could make both, then probably I'd build a frenzy barb using both, though I don't know which weapon base I should use haha.

Reactions: Ghonn and ziambe
Rares in 1.07 and 1.09 LoD suck. I don't know why, but that's my experience as well.

Finally finished leveling my Necromancer! Now at 5/7 classes done in LoD SC!
1639347499098.png

Next up is the barb, who will be a lot faster than the necro.

Also, I think I figured out why rare items are bad in 1.09 LoD compared to 1.10+ and why they also suck in classic, compared to 1.06b.

In classic, the affix pools for rare items are mostly similar in 1.06 than they are in 1.09, but 1.09 adds a "frequency" attribute to each affix in a group, which made it so that higher level affixes were less frequent than low level ones. I'm not 100% sure, but in my experience and from what little information I could find online, 1.06b's affixes all have an equal chance of spawning (given they are in the level range, and item type). This means you're more likely to see a combination of high level affixes on rare items.

In LoD, 1.09 rares cannot get most of the high level affixes, such as "Cruel" or "Grandmaster's", and are stuck with a very poor, but still reltaively large pool of affixes, combined with the "frequency" which makes it so you'll have low level or straight up useless affixes on most rare items you find.

Then I read this in the 1.10 patch notes:
"Increased the chances that dropped items have the magic properties of Enhanced damage, Life-stealing, Mana-stealing, and + to all Resistances."

It doesn't explicitly state that it applies to rare items, but I think it's safe to assume it does.

All this combined kind of explain why I never found a superb rare item in 1.09 despite playing a lot. I found a few decent ones in Classic, but now I'm considering MFing in 1.06b for my classic characters. I'm not sure if it's worth it though, or if there's another better patch for rare items.

@Erayz what skilling you have on your necro?

And what players count did you set?

My skill points distribution is like so:

Summoning:
1 (14) Skeleton Master
1 (10) Raise Skeleton
1 (10) Clay Golem
20 (29) Golem Mastery
1 (10) Raise Skeletal Mage
1 (11) Blood Golem
1 (10) Summon Resist
1 (10) Iron Golem
2 (11) Revive

Poison and Bone:
1 (18) Teeth
1 (21) Bone Armor
1 (18) Poison Dagger
10 (29) Corpse Explosion
1 (18) Bone Wall
1 (18) Poison Explosion
20 (39) Bone Spear
20 (38) Poison Nova

Curses
1 (12) Amp, Weaken, Terror, Decrep, Life Tap, Lower Resist
20 (31) Iron Maiden

He was pretty much terrible during most of the game, even at players 1. I have a writeup here, from when I pat'd him: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/t...-guardian-archive-thread.50/page-35#post-2788

For leveling, I played on Players 8 in the cow Level, which is the only place where he could be considered "strong".

Basically I played like this:
Herd a lot of cows, summon Blood Golem, cast Iron Maiden on all the cows, spam Poison Nova and Bone Spear. When one cow dies, switch to Amplify and spam Corpse Explosion. This makes use of the old IM/BG bug and is the only way I've found to be a decent killer to reach level 99.

Last edited:
No, when the golem takes damage, it will leave me at 1 hp, so it's pretty safe. But the IM/BG combo makes it so that all the damage reflected by the golem via IM counts as his own damage, so it actually heals me very quickly, except when the monster is PI.

I play on Players 8, because I'm on 1.09d. I wasn't aware of players setting going all the way up to 64 in 1.09a/b when I started. Now I'm much too deep in to start over haha.

Reactions: d2lover
Does anyone know Hell Duriel's damage on his various attacks? I'm trying to figure out how much life/DR% a character needs to fight him and not get immediately aced by the charge.

(EDIT) I'm also curious if Slows Target is worth it on a mercenary. I just found an eth Kelpie Snare, and wonder if that on a Holy Freeze mercenary is better than my current plan of giving an Act 5 mercenary a one-hander (Bloodletter now, Headstriker eventually).

Last edited:
It might be a long shot, but is there a place somewhere on the internet where I could find D2 1.09 Classic builds/guides?

I came up with decent builds for Barb, Amazon and Sorc, but my Pal is pretty weak despite having some really strong rare gear, and couldn't find anything reliable for a Necro to be able to run Hell CS. I Googled quite a bit to find old guides for 1.09 classic, but unfortunately found nothing.

Does anyone know Hell Duriel's damage on his various attacks? I'm trying to figure out how much life/DR% a character needs to fight him and not get immediately aced by the charge.

A1: 112-168, A2: 85-119. His charge is slvl=5, so that's an additional +200% damage. Jab is lvl 15 and Smite is lvl 7.

I might be the only person who still plays 1.09 to this day hehe. Maybe nobody cares about this post, but I had nobody to share this with.

I recently finished leveling my LoD SC Barbarian, Omega, I'm now at 6/7 level 99s

1665939936823.png

Since I am using 1.07 Arkaine Valor, I decided to never put a single point in Vitality, and put everything in Strength to maximize damage and kill speed. Though I still needed 49 base Dex to be able to wear The Grandfather.

Some of my gear choices are more for style points than optimization.

Stats:
506 (572) Strength
49 (131) Dexterity
Base Vitality
Base Energy

Skills:
1 (6) Howl
1 (6) Find Potion
1 (6) Shout
1 (6) Find Item
20 (25) Battle Orders

20 (25) Sword Mastery
1 (6) Increased Stamina
8 (13) Iron Skin
1 (6) Increased Speed
11 (16) Natural Resistances

1 (8) Bash
1 (8) Leap
1 (8) Stun
1 (8) Leap Attack
1 (8) Concentrate
20 (27) Whirwind
20 (27) Berserk

Gear:
Helm: Arreat's Face (198%/6LL) with 14 all res / 12 Max damage Jewel
Weapon 1: The Grandfather (239%) with Shael
Weapon 2: Cruel Colossus Blade (271%) with Eth Shael Shael
Armor: 1.07 Arkaine Valor with Um
Gloves: Crafted Blood Gloves (20 IAS, 3LL, 10% CB, 6 Dex, 14 life)
Belt: String of Ears (8LL/14%DR)
Boots: Waterwalk (64 life)
Amulet: Rare with 6% Mana stolen, 16 Strength, 14 all res
Ring 1: Raven frost (20/230)
Ring 2: Bul Khatos

Switch: 2x 3 Warcries weapons

Charms: Max damage / Attack Rating. Including some 1.07 charms.

This barb was pretty frail until level 85. He was using Shaftstop before he could wear Arkaine's Valor. Also, the Crafted gloves might be useless in a way since he deals enough damage I'm not sure the CB changes anything. Might be better off using Laying of Hands, but it's too late now because he can't wear Grandfather without the Dex from the gloves and he's 99 lol.

Now only the Amazon is left to level to 99 (currently 90) until I have a full 99ers sept. But before I finish her, I absolutely want a Windforce. I am currently running Pindle a lot. I found lots of rare items so far including 3x Grandfather!! And a Ist rune, which is about 8x rarer than WF from Pindle...

Other progess made:
My HC Classic Barb reached level 86
My SC Classic Amazon reached level 84 and imbued a nice Gothic Bow.

CG, nicely done. I'd like to ask. What are the builds of your other chars and where did you level them? Also, is Pindle viable for lvl 99?

I might be the only person who still plays 1.09 to this day hehe. Maybe nobody cares about this post, but I had nobody to share this with.

Not true mate, I still use my 1.09d installation. I typically only use it for hell forge rushes though, although occasionally I'll do some minor MF with uncle Mephy lol

What are the builds of your other chars and where did you level them?

GG, I second this. I've been wanting to improve my arsenal of 1.10s toons, and I figure leveling them in 1.09 and then forwarding them to 1.10s may be the smarter choice

CG, nicely done. I'd like to ask. What are the builds of your other chars and where did you level them? Also, is Pindle viable for lvl 99?
Depending on the build, I mostly level my characters in the Cow level. Sometimes, for variety I would go level in Act 5 ice caves (Ancient's Way, Glacial Trail, etc.), the Zombie Garden, and sometimes Baal as well. Some characters were leveled only in the ice caves (Pal, Druid), some others only in the cow level (Necro, Assassin, Sorc). The Barb can do it all, so will the Amazon. Technically the Sorc can do it all too, but was leveling significantly faster in the Cow Level.

The builds are mostly cookie cutter from 1.09
Amazon: Multishot / Freezing Arrow
Assassin: Phoenix Strike / Death Sentry
Barbarian: Whirlwind
Druid: Fury werewolf
Necromancer: Iron Maiden / Blood Golem / Bone Spear
Paladin: Zeal / Fanaticism with Vengeance / Convitction for physical immunes
Sorceress: Frozen Orb / Fire Wall

I think Pindle is very viable for level 99, if you play on players 8 and clear the zombie garden as well. It's actually really good XP even at high levels. Killing Pindle and his minions only to 99 might be feasible, but slow. But definitely don't do this on players 1.

I played 1.09 back in the early 2000s and have got back into it recently. Amazing work you are doing there! And a 1.09 Stormspire.. wow just wow! TC 90 felt like seeing a Tyreals might + zod double drop

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High