1.09 News, Info and Gossip - Make 1.09 Great Again

I'm sure that Hone Sundan will do the job but I have a Tresher rack in 1.07 so I have infinite source of eth Treshers. In fact I think all my Act II mercs have now 1.07 eth Tresher base in all pathces I play =)

m4ke
Fair enough. My guide is focused more on what you can obtain in 1.09, so it really doesn't assume full access to broken 1.07 items.

Yeah, welcome back! @RobbyD

I reposted your guides here so they aren't lost in the old forum should it ever go down. Maybe @maxicek can transfer them back to you?
I even kept the "o" in the title of the second one :D

• Haha
Reactions: D2DC
Thank you maxicek and Art_Vandelay. I'm glad to see there's still interest in the 1.09 patch.

While not discussed in my guide, I did go back and dig up the original set of characters I started back in 2001 and developed them (I'm pretty sure I Patted the Pally and Barb) - I think I chronicled that project in the old 1.09 progress thread. I remember getting an Ohm from the sparkly chest behind Mephy.

Two stats questions:

- I know that, for % based reduction, the order of operations in 1.09 is block->DR%/Resists->Energy Shield->life. At what point is DR/MDR applied?
If it's after DR%/Resists, I wonder if it's worth loading up on Sols to try and drive damage down.

- AFAIK, Act 5 mercenaries still get double damage from 1h swords in 1.09. I'm curious about how well they hold up vs. Might Act 2 mercenaries - my suspicion is that Act 5 will deal more raw damage when wielding Headstriker (to take advantage of the guaranteed deadly strike), but I'm not really clear how useful something like Hone Sundan's crushing blow is.

IDR should be applied after Energy Shield, similar to how it works currently. The same goes for MDR.

Do note that both of these actually happen before any %-effect on damage. This means that resistances (including Conviction) and %-dr (from gear, Amplify Damage, Decrepify) do not actually matter for them at all. Also, MDR should be much more viable against quick attacks (FW etc.) in 1.09.

As for the Mercs, Barbs probably do more damage. However, the short leash makes the mercs pretty bad in dealing sufficient damage, at least in my opinion. Crushing Blow should be highly useful against bosses however, if they ever get a single hit in.

Reactions: DariusTriplet
I've had a Zon with good MDR stand in the middle of Diablo's Fire attack and not have the life bulb move at all - I don't know if it's before or after resists or not, but MDR is effective against such attacks.

To the Merc question - I never tried an Act 5 merc after discovering how good Act 2 mercs are. The Shael in the Hone gets like 3 FAS breakpoints, so the merc applies that CB at a decent pace. If you're playing P3+, I would guess that the (scaling) CB trumps the CS/damage of the Headstriker on an Act 5 merc. Keep in mind, if you go with a Might Act 2 merc, he benefits from that aura too, so the non-CB damage is not trivial. You could do a side-by-side comparison, building similar characters, one that uses the Barb, and one that uses the Town Guard.

Fun fact:
My CD/DVD drive busted on my computer, so I have not had the chance to play D2 in a while now (been playing PoE), but getting back into this discussion makes me want to go through the hassle of installing the new drive that's been sitting on my shelf for over a year so I can fire D2 back up and, perhaps, finish the remaining original characters that I found in an old save folder.

Reactions: DariusTriplet
IDR should be applied after Energy Shield, similar to how it works currently. The same goes for MDR.

Do note that both of these actually happen before any %-effect on damage. This means that resistances (including Conviction) and %-dr (from gear, Amplify Damage, Decrepify) do not actually matter for them at all. Also, MDR should be much more viable against quick attacks (FW etc.) in 1.09.

As for the Mercs, Barbs probably do more damage. However, the short leash makes the mercs pretty bad in dealing sufficient damage, at least in my opinion. Crushing Blow should be highly useful against bosses however, if they ever get a single hit in.

Thanks! Just so I'm clear, the order is blocking->ES->iDR/MDR->DR%/Resists->life? If so, then it seems like integer DR and MDR are much more valuable than DR%/resists on a Sorceress - after the flat 50%+ reduction from ES, the remaining damage will likely be under 100, at which point iDR/MDR scale better than % reduction.

re: mercenaries - I'm playing untwinked, so I'll probably go with whatever Mephisto coughs up first 😉 That's a good tip re: the CB and IAS on Hone, though.

Hey guys! Jumping to 1.09b today :)

Are there any accepted rune colorization mods for this patch? Coming from 1.08 /p1, I am overwhelmed by the number of drops on /p13...Do I have to memorize the patterns or is there some other way to avoid missing runes?

After @m4ke and @art_vandelay 's posts regarding the exile bases, I came to 1.09b lower kurast looking for a sacred targe rack and the /p 13 runes (note that in 1.09b you dont use the '/' for the players command, and there is no confirmation after typing).

However after a few hours i noticed that not a single sacred targe has rolled above 35 all res or +50% ed. I believe that 1.09b sacred targes cannot get the highest automods available on paladin shields.

Tldr: get your exile base in 1.10+ not 1.09.

Last edited:
The true tldr is that Exile isn't worth the hassle :D

I don't have D2 installed right now or I could look into whether the stuff about the automods is true. But if I remember correctly the automod related txt was never changed...

automagic.txt is the same across all versions. I have no idea why Chromatic wouldn't spawn on Sacred Targes, there's nothing indicating it can't.

Picked up a couple hundred shields and neither chromatic or knight's spawned even once...

I hope that I could post a shot with that green text to 1.07 thread (done some leveling at P19 Meph):
01_Puzzler.jpg

Got also Harly and Stormshield but no shots of them.

m4ke

@silospen Is there any chance that GoMule could come to 1.09? I know the character format is vastly different for 1.07-1.08 (they share a lot of traits with classic) but 1.09 should be much closer to the 1.10 format. Also there is an excellent reference on the format for 1.09 which I can't link to here in the open, but I can send you a link to it if you are interested.

I'm not familiar with the GoMule code base so I can't judge how much work this would be. In any case I (and many others I'm sure) would be available for extensive testing.

Reactions: DarkMaster
@silospen Is there any chance that GoMule could come to 1.09? I know the character format is vastly different for 1.07-1.08 (they share a lot of traits with classic) but 1.09 should be much closer to the 1.10 format. Also there is an excellent reference on the format for 1.09 which I can't link to here in the open, but I can send you a link to it if you are interested.

I'm not familiar with the GoMule code base so I can't judge how much work this would be. In any case I (and many others I'm sure) would be available for extensive testing.
Yeah, I think you're right, I should be able to adapt a 1.09 version pretty easily. Do you mind sharing a couple of characters to [email protected]? That'll help me understand if the existing code will work. If you also have a clean copy of the txt files, or a source of the txt files that'd save me a bunch of time too :D

Yeah, I think you're right, I should be able to adapt a 1.09 version pretty easily. Do you mind sharing a couple of characters to [email protected]? That'll help me understand if the existing code will work. If you also have a clean copy of the txt files, or a source of the txt files that'd save me a bunch of time too :D
I sent you an archive with all my 1.09 characters and ATMA stashes. I always assumed that ATMA stashes and GoMule stashes used the same format (modulo the item format of the specific version) so maybe those are helpful as well.

It also contains the .txts from all versions 1.00 to 1.13a I could get my hands on. You probably need 1.00-1.09d so you have a full set of .txts and 1.10a-1.13a is for comparing. That being said I already did some comparing of my own (via checksums) and all 1.09 versions have the same .txts but there are hardcoded changes. (I can't find my notes on this but I faintly remember that the same is true for 1.11-1.12)

I'll send you the link to the character file format website via PM as max probably doesn't like that to be posted in the SPF.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High