Mafia - Borderlands!

And, sorry to keep beating a dead horse.. But, I'm still wondering why lynching on D1 is a good idea? It's basically shooting in the dark, unless someone loses it and basically confesses to being scum.

I don't really know the setup for most games. But, sounds like there will be ~20% Mafia. Which means 80% (random) chance of killing town. I know you can't wait forever, because they will just keep NK. At least on D2, you will hopefully have some info/investigation to go off of?

Also, it would seem just as likely that you kill a town power role? So, perhaps 2/10 times you get Mafia lynch, another 2/10 times you lynch a Cop or Commuter (someone powerful), and another 6/10 times you lynch some random townie.

And, sorry to keep beating a dead horse.. But, I'm still wondering why lynching on D1 is a good idea? It's basically shooting in the dark, unless someone loses it and basically confesses to being scum.

I don't really know the setup for most games. But, sounds like there will be ~20% Mafia. Which means 80% (random) chance of killing town. I know you can't wait forever, because they will just keep NK. At least on D2, you will hopefully have some info/investigation to go off of?

Also, it would seem just as likely that you kill a town power role? So, perhaps 2/10 times you get Mafia lynch, another 2/10 times you lynch a Cop or Commuter (someone powerful), and another 6/10 times you lynch some random townie.

I'd rather not get to hung on this so I'll keep my answer brief;

The town's main tool of gaining info is interactions combined with lynches, if you keep waiting for info to go on, you might as well not lynch at all. Since the scum know each other, there will be tells in their interaction or lack of interaction with each other. Lynching/votes apply pressure and force people to play their hand and interact in a way that can hopefully lead the town to the mafia down the road even if the first lynch hits a townie.

That said, I have questions that need answering.

@The Silver Shroud- who strikes you as most fishy in their overall behavior and why?
@DiabloTwoinDC- if you had to choose 3 candidates for today's lynch who would they be?
@zemaj- according to your previously stated rule we should consider DiabloTwoinDC our default lynch now, right? Do you stand by that?

@DiabloTwoinDC- if you had to choose 3 candidates for today's lynch who would they be?

- I believe this is the first game for IronArrow and MrEwak? I know it's not strategy, but I'd hate to vote someone out first night on their first game. Might discourage further participation. That being said, we made it through N1 with no NK, and IronArrow was the most defensive on D1. So, he'd be a candidate.

- Bad Ash, because he seems to be the most quiet. I expected a lot more trash talking between him and Noodle (even though I have no idea what all that is about).

- Zemaj is posting, but tone/content seems different than BTILC game. Although, we had more info to go off in previous game.

I'm ALWAYS in favor of lynching Bad Ash, but I'll settle for doing so just in the context of the game, for the moment.

You are right about one thing: I am part off a group, the town.

I've been wrong plenty of times, but my focus is zemaj and his want to lynch those asking questions about mechanics.....

Theorycrafting should be reserved for while not in-game, the game thread is for playing, not philosophizing. My opinion, anyway.

My bad. It is only my second game. @The Silver Shroud directed me to Mafiascum.net, so I have been reading. But, I'm still trying to learn on the fly. :confused:

That said, I have questions that need answering.

@The Silver Shroud- who strikes you as most fishy in their overall behavior and why?
@zemaj- according to your previously stated rule we should consider DiabloTwoinDC our default lynch now, right? Do you stand by that?

Right now two people:

Scott Berland and Bad Ash.

Scott for one is still playing as if he's new which in itself isn't a bad thing but this is his fourth game and he should at least know the basic mechanics by now. But he's still asking questions about how the game works. Kind of odd that he chooses to do so once the game is in progress but he does not do so in the sign up thread nor does he ask any questions post game.

The you tube videos he posts seem like an attempt to appear friendly and give off a non threatening appearance - which would work for him if he's scum.

Not to mention his slight mis representation of the facts he's stated so far regarding his past games and the use of the count down timer.

(He says this game was the first time he saw it, but it was used last game)

Last is his OMGUS vote on me yesterday.

None of those is really scum worthy by itself, but together they raise an eyebrow.

Bad Ash: well because hey...dummy (bad ash's sig) BA hasn't posted much yet so while he could be scum, but maybe he's afraid of Noodle. My thought process on BA is of the "he could be scum and coasting' line of thought.

This can change if he shows.

Yes. In your specific case, it's even more scummy, because while I know it's only your second game, you obviously have done your homework and play much more like you've done this before. Theorycrafting should be reserved for while not in-game, the game thread is for playing, not philosophizing. My opinion, anyway.

So you admit that is an OMGUS? Good to know.
lol. You're going to have to do better at twisting words around! You're the one that told me to vote for you if I felt strongly about it. There is no "Oh my God you suck" about that.

Silver Shroud is making a lot of sense. Histrionics aside, I'd be fine with voting for either Scott Berland or BA.

Right now two people:

Scott Berland and Bad Ash.

Scott for one is still playing as if he's new which in itself isn't a bad thing but this is his fourth game and he should at least know the basic mechanics by now. But he's still asking questions about how the game works. Kind of odd that he chooses to do so once the game is in progress but he does not do so in the sign up thread nor does he ask any questions post game.

The you tube videos he posts seem like an attempt to appear friendly and give off a non threatening appearance - which would work for him if he's scum.

Not to mention his slight mis representation of the facts he's stated so far regarding his past games and the use of the count down timer.

(He says this game was the first time he saw it, but it was used last game)

Last is his OMGUS vote on me yesterday.

None of those is really scum worthy by itself, but together they raise an eyebrow.

Bad Ash: well because hey...dummy (bad ash's sig) BA hasn't posted much yet so while he could be scum, but maybe he's afraid of Noodle. My thought process on BA is of the "he could be scum and coasting' line of thought.

This can change if he shows.

Shocker!! This might even come off as a reasoned argument IF YOU HADN"T TAKEN A POT SHOT AT ME IN YOUR SECOND POST OF THE GAME (during twilight, I may add). Doesn't seem like your "intuition" has evolved much over the last week. Further, in later comment you accuse me of making false accusations vis a vis my prior experiences in mafia, and when I rebut those accusations {crickets}.

I wouldn't want accuse you of bullying a relative noob for laughs, so my best guess is that this is a CLASSIC case of DEFLECTION.

Shoot: The Silver Shroud

Last edited:
Silver Shroud is making a lot of sense. Histrionics aside, I'd be fine with voting for either Scott Berland or BA.

Interesting.

@mrewak - do you agree with the Noodles?

Do what you will. But consider my previous post before choosing me. Ask yourself, "Whose arguments are based on FACTS and whose are based on FEELINGS"?

And with respect to the fact that I had the utter audacity to "lurk" before making my initial post. I plead guilty. No disrespect intended, but the woodchipper commentary was not an engagement that I had any interest in partaking in.

I was gonna call out @Scott Berland also, but he started posting more today. I still dunno what to ACTUALLY base my vote on, other than activity (or lack thereof), and people's "reactions" to votes.

For those of you that play more Mafia games on here: Is the no NK/no Lynch on N1 a typical rule?

This was the quote the piqued my interest. 1. He is way to into voting, which was useless on day 1 (and he knew that) and 2. He seemed to foreshadow the lack of a NK.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High