Mafia - Borderlands!

but, based upon my limited experience, posting very little or a great deal has far more to do with the schedule of the player (and, perhaps their interest in the game) than it does their actual guilt or innocence.

This is only my second game. But, that's kinda what I think also. If you're busy in RL, or aren't online at the same time everyone is posting, it seems like people think you're trying to hide something.

That's because the mafia goofed that game. I suspect we're dealing with a different set this game.

::cough:: @Scott Berland ::cough::

Sorry.. had to do it! :p

Yea, once I saw we got 1 Mafia for free on N1, I figured it would be easy win for town.

As for the effectiveness of early accusations: you're still new. You haven't seen someone completely flip their shit as soon as the first finger points their way.

I was wondering if this actually happened. I would love to see it! :D

Assumption is the mother of all f* ups.

I felt pretty confident, especially after pow-wow with you and CG. I actually wanted to switch votes to Leo, but it was too late. :(

Jamez, I see nothing wrong with helping fellow players understand this or understand that. You just did in the longest post in the game thus far. You also so those players who ask should be default lynch/shot? what about those who do the explaining? Those are the ones you claim could be scum hiding in plain sight.
So, you say we should shoot the ones who ask the question, not the ones stalling the game deliberating on what it means?

Your big long post stunk to me more than any has. Especially the part about players contributions. We've all seem games where town and mafia slide through the game with minimal posts. I, personally, don't have much time to contribute to the games. If that, in your book, is a declaration of scum, then, friend, it is misguided.

I'll wait to pull out my pistol to see what you, and others, have to say. But, zemaj, you are position 1, 2, 3, and 4 on my list this day.

::cough:: @Scott Berland ::cough::

Sorry.. had to do it! :p

Yea, once I saw we got 1 Mafia for free on N1, I figured it would be easy win for town.

Hey, I had 2 kids (still have them) that were not yet back in school during that game. I didn't have time to concoct sinister plots to take out the townsfolk. Hopefully I'll be more effective in my role (whatever that may be) in this one.

Job? No. Function? Frequently...

THIS! One thousand times, THIS! If you are "lying back", you are not contributing. Period. You can add whichever qualifiers you like, dress it in whichever garb you fancy, you still are not contributing. If you are not contributing, then we are better off lynching you and gaining whatever info we can from that. Harsh, but that's the name of the game.

Setup speculating is a stalling technique often employed by scum, basically to look like they are contributing without actually moving the dialogue in any fruitful direction. In short: we don't know what the setup is. We will not know what the setup is, unless mod does a reveal at the end, which is not gaurenteed, so we may never know. Speculation and trying to count scum is a meaningless activity... Hell, I may try to dig up the "Somewhat Vanilla" game for you. It illustrates my point on how little players know, superbly.

As for the effectiveness of early accusations: you're still new. You haven't seen someone completely flip their shit as soon as the first finger points their way. It happens, and thus accusations at any stage are vital to the game. If nothing else, when someone presses another player, and they respond, that leaves clues to be analyzed if/when one or the other is lynched, and we now know their alignment.

True. Except the content of the posts they do make. That can be as telling/convincing as any number of bs fluff posts. Typically though, if someone is posting a shitload of fluff, they are hiding in plain sight, so to speak. That said, I've been known to spam a game thread if I'm really digging that particular game. So yeah... Both are correct, you may get more posts from one player than another, but you shouldn't be counting posts, rather reading and thinking through the content of the one post, not glancing over the many.

Well, at least you recognize that it is scummy...

Hopefully, though, you got the mangled, confused, zemaj-style logics I tried to convey. Not really 'reasoned explanations', but I gave it a shot, anyway...

Cheers! (oh, how I miss the old emotes... :Guinness: would have followed the "Cheers!" once upon a wayback...)

Assumption is the mother of all f* ups.

Thank you. This was a very useful post. As this is only my 4th game of Mafia (and in 2 I was unceremoniously whacked/mod-killed early--once as town and once as Mafia) I'm still learning the ropes. From outward appearances, and literally, I haven't been the most vocal player. Part of that is due to my aforementioned kids/work responsibilities but, also, In large part having no idea what to say---whether I be town or scum. In my opinion the only way to "improve" my gameplay is to play a bunch of games and take note how successful players play out a strategy on the thread.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to help a relative noob.

On a separate note...Caluin- the clock that you link to is a huge help. First time I've seen it employed. Would encourage all future game managers to us it.

Thank you. This was a very useful post. As this is only my 4th game of Mafia (and in 2 I was unceremoniously whacked/mod-killed early--once as town and once as Mafia) I'm still learning the ropes. From outward appearances, and literally, I haven't been the most vocal player. Part of that is due to my aforementioned kids/work responsibilities but, also, In large part having no idea what to say---whether I be town or scum. In my opinion the only way to "improve" my gameplay is to play a bunch of games and take note how successful players play out a strategy on the thread.

In any event, thanks for taking the time to help a relative noob.

No. You were only mod killed once, that was last game (BTILC) as Mafia and in the game before that (Bad Ash v. Noodle), you were not modkilled but rather were lynched in endgame, which lead to mafia win. You were a mafia goon in The Baltimore Game and won as scum.

On a separate note...Caluin- the clock that you link to is a huge help. First time I've seen it employed. Would encourage all future game managers to us it.

Also no. I started using that in the BTILC game also.

Why the misrepresentations Scott Boy?

No. You were only mod killed once, that was last game (BTILC) as Mafia and in the game before that (Bad Ash v. Noodle), you were not modkilled but rather were lynched in endgame, which lead to mafia win. You were a mafia goon in The Baltimore Game and won as scum.

Also no. I started using that in the BTILC game also.

Why the misrepresentations Scott Boy?

Shroud, when using the "/" I was indicating that I was whacked once and mod-killed once. As such, no misrepresentation there.

With respect to the clock. If there was a clock, I was not aware of it's existence-- therefore it it served me, personally, no benefit.

Almost forgot I signed up. Fantasy football work ...

Thanks for saying how many games Borland has been in. Enough of a mafia vet for me:)

Going to read over day 1 again, I think I remember something.

Is that -vote thing game flavor or a power? If it is a mafia power, I would think day 1 (well, lynch day 1) would be a not great time to use it.

Noticeably more quiet today? Everybody was shooting off their guns willy-nilly yesterday.. But, now that it counts people are being a bit more cautious? Or, maybe just nobody been online?

I'm guessing it'll pick up soon once the weekend really starts. I know I'm still tangled in rl stuff.

Is that -vote thing game flavor or a power? If it is a mafia power, I would think day 1 (well, lynch day 1) would be a not great time to use it.
A RABBLE-ROUSER HAS BEEN DETECTED. While this role is in effect, all necessary lynches are at a -1 penalty.

Looks like a role to me, no use in assuming it's mechanics or limitations at this point imho.

If RABBLE-ROUSER is an ability, would it be Town, Neutral, or Mafia sided?
My guess would be Neutral, as the Mafians would all know their abilities and, from the times I've been Mafia, they would deliberate on when to use such abilities. I guess Neutral because it was used on D1 with no clear indicators on who's who from the Twilight before.
It does sound like a nasty little ability, and if used further into the game, I would think harder on which side it landed on.

If RABBLE-ROUSER is an ability, would it be Town, Neutral, or Mafia sided?
My guess would be Neutral, as the Mafians would all know their abilities and, from the times I've been Mafia, they would deliberate on when to use such abilities. I guess Neutral because it was used on D1 with no clear indicators on who's who from the Twilight before.
It does sound like a nasty little ability, and if used further into the game, I would think harder on which side it landed on.

So your assumption is that it is a solo neutral role used by an inexperienced player?
I could see that. Not necessarily sold on it being a neutral role.

It is VERY quite here today, innit?

HELLO!

Here's an impromptu vote count for everyone, now that my vote count subroutines are finally functional!

ERROR. No votes detected.

Huh? Did I forget to load the guns again?

Shoot: Mr. Torgue

Also, in the interest of complete transparency; Mr. Torgue is my account that I created for the fluff of this game. Hence why he's not in the players list in post #1.

Just curious, is @CL4P-TP another fluff account?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High