The player must rescue Cain from the demons. He is the last descendant of the Horadrim, and likely the only one who can help to stop Diablo.
Act I: The Search for Cain
- Quest Name: Rescue Cain
- Act: Act I
- Triggered By: Reaching the Dark Wood
- Given by: Akara
- Location: Tristram, reached via the Stony Field
- Reward: Free item identification from Deckard Cain and a ring from Akara. Ring Ilvl: Normal 7 (magical ring), Nightmare 28 (Rare Ring), Hell 49 (Rare Ring). The ring's Ilvls are preset, it doesn't matter what your Clvl is when you do this quest or get the reward.
- Quest Priority: This is not a mandatory quest, but it's useful to get free ID's from Cain and the ring reward.
Akara informs you that you are facing an evil difficult to comprehend and there is one Horadrim Sage, schooled in the most arcane history and lore who could help known as Deckard Cain. You must travel to Tristram to find him. To begin your quest the people of the Rogue Encampment tell you to find bark from the Tree of Inifuss which holds mystical runes. Take the bark to Akara. Once she has translated it she tells that you find the Cairn Stones and touch them in the order written.
Finding and rescuing Cain is the most complicated quest in Act One. You must:
- Travel from the Stony Field through the Underground Passageway to the Dark Wood.
- Find the Tree of Inifuss and click on it to get the Scroll of Inifuss.
- Take the Scroll of Inifuss to Akara where she will translate it.
- Take the translated Scroll to the Stony Field and click on the five stones in the correct sequence. (Or just click on them all randomly as they light up one by one.)
- Go through the red portal that opens up in the middle of the stones to Tristram.
- Find Cain in his cage in Tristram and free him by clicking on it.
- Return to the Rogue Encampment for your reward(s).
There are a lot of monsters to kill along the way, and some very cool stuff in the burned out Tristram, including a couple of the old Diablo I NPCs who are rather changed by now, including Griswold. It's well worth exploring, and you need to get Wirt's Leg for the special seventh quest of Act I, though you can come back and get it later.
Find the Waypoint in the Dark Woods before you return to town with the Scroll of Inifuss. This will save you a long walk back from the Stony Field through the Underground Passageway to the Dark Woods after you rescue Deckard Cain.
Note: If you do not rescue Deckard Cain before continuing to Act II, it will be considered a failed quest until a new game has been made. In this case, Deckard Cain will tell you that he was rescued by the Rogues, and you will have to pay 100 gold per item to have them identified by him. This is the only quest in Diablo II that can be failed.
In multiplayer games created by characters who have already rescued Cain or moved to Act Two, Cain will be in town for even brand new characters, the Rescue Cain quest will be unavailable, and he will charge them to identify items. A character who has not yet rescued Cain must create their own game to do so, or join a game created by someone who has not yet completed that quest or moved on to Act Two.
- It is clear that we are facing an Evil difficult to comprehend, let alone combat.
- There is only one Horadrim sage, schooled in the most arcane history and lore, who could advise us... His name is Deckard Cain.
- You must go to Tristram and find him, my friend. I pray that he still lives.
- Tristram is too far to journey by foot... Cain would likely be dead, when you arrived. However, there is a magical portal that will take you there instantly.
- To open it, one must stand within the circle of Cairn Stones and touch them in a certain order. The proper order can be found in the runes written on the bark of the Tree of Inifuss.
- You must find the sacred Tree of Inifuss and bring back its bark. I will translate the runes to unlock the Stones' mystic pattern.
- If you bring back the bark of Inifuss, Akara will tell you how to get to Tristram.
- I would sooner micturate in a tankard of my own ale than journey to Tristram!
- The bark of Inifuss holds mystical runes.
- Akara can translate them... into our revenge!
- Months ago, I came across a few survivors from Tristram. They said that Cain had gone half-mad and could no longer distinguish fact from fantasy.
- How will you find Cain without going to Tristram? Finding the Tree of Inifuss is the first step on your journey.
- Without the bark of Inifuss you can't find Cain.
- Barking up the wrong tree, huh? You'll find it, just keep looking.
- The Tree of Inifuss is hard to find, but you'll know it when you see it.
- He who seeks that which cannot be found must look inside himself for further guidance... or look harder!
Return (with scroll)
- Ah, very good. I have translated the runes on this scroll. You must find the Cairn Stones and touch them in the order that I have written.
- Get this to Akara.
- Only she can understand it.
- Look, friend... I trade a lot of strange items, but I'm not going to start dealing in bark. Okay?
- With this scroll you may open a portal back to Tristram. Only Akara can decipher its logic.
- This looks like gibberish to me. Akara may know what to make of it.
Return (after scroll)
- If he still lives, Deckard Cain may be in grave peril! You must hurry to Tristram before all is lost!
- I have heard that Tristram is now in ruins! Without Cain I fear for the ruin of all of us.
- I'm told that Tristram now resembles a mead hall... after a Barbarian wedding! I will wait here for your most glorious return.
- Deckard Cain has crucial knowledge about the Evils we face. You must find him!
- It is too dangerous to travel to Tristram. I won't be leaving here until the way is clear!
- You have risked your life to rescue Cain. For that we thank you.
- We must seek his counsel immediately.
- Akara wishes to reward you for your bravery in returning Deckard Cain.
- ...I thank you, friend, for coming to my aid.
- As a token of my gratitude, I will identify items for you at no charge.
- Oh... Blessings on the Rogues! They finally rescued me from that cursed place!
- Ah, Cain is here... another customer. I haven't been this pleased since a love-starved maiden let down a bit more than her hair.
- Again, you amaze me, outlander.
- The Sisterhood is grateful to you for delivering Cain to us. I believe Akara has something to tell you.
- Only a brave adventurer could return with Deckard Cain. Akara has a reward for your valor.
- Regrettably, I could do nothing to prevent the disaster which devastated Tristram. It would appear that our greatest fears have come to pass. Diablo, the Lord of Terror, has once again been set loose upon the world!
- As you know, some time ago Diablo was slain beneath Tristram. And when our hero emerged triumphant from the labyrinth beneath town, we held a grand celebration that lasted several days.
- Yet, as the weeks passed, our hero became increasingly aloof. He kept his distance from the rest of the townsfolk and seemed to lapse into a dark, brooding depression. I thought that perhaps his ordeal had been so disturbing that he simply could not put it out of his mind.
- The hero seemed more tormented every passing day. I remember he awoke many times -- screaming in the night -- always something about 'the East'.
- One day, he simply left. And shortly thereafter Tristram was attacked by legions of foul demons. Many were slain, and the demons left me to die in that cursed cage.
- I believe now that Tristram's hero was that Dark Wanderer who passed this way before the Monastery fell.
- I fear even worse, my friend... I fear that Diablo has taken possession of the hero who sought to slay him. If true, Diablo will become more powerful than ever before.
- You must stop him or all will be lost.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [e]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|