Time has come to rid Sanctuary of Andariel once and for all. She needs to be killed in order to travel east and stop Diablo.
Act I: Sisters to the Slaughter
- Quest Name: Sisters to the Slaughter
- Act: Act I
- Triggered By: Finishing the Malus Quest, or by reaching Catacombs level three
- Given by: Cain the Elder
- Location: Andariel's Throne Room, Catacombs level four
- Reward: You may travel with Warriv's caravan to Lut Gholein and Act II.
- Quest Priority: Mandatory, you must kill Andariel to advance to Act II.
Andariel is the Quest boss of Act I, and the hardest monster to defeat in the Act. She is in a large inner room at the bottom of the Catacombs, on level four. You enter in a long room that usually has a few zombies in it, then enter a larger room with a blood lake and tons of Dark Ones, the black type of Fallen. Once you clear that room you face a large set of double doors, and within Andariel awaits.
It's time to face the demon queen Andariel, who has corrupted the Rogue Sisterhood and defiled their ancient Monastery. You must kill her before the Monastery becomes a permanent outpost of hell and the way east lost forever.
Prior to v1.08 she would usually rush right out once you opened the doors, but now she is found well back in the room, which gives you a chance to clear out the monsters near the door before you encounter her. Andariel's main attack is her poisonous sting and the poisonous cloud she spews out in a half circle. This poison will drain your hit points at a terrible rate if you don't have poison resistance and/or lowers poison resistance equipment. Stocking up on some antidote potions before this battle is never a bad idea.
Once you defeat her, she immolates in a huge pillar of fire, the screen shakes, rocks fall, the floor is torn up, and after a few seconds a portal opens up back to town. Andariel drops a random assortment of magical items, usually two of them, along with two chipped gems and one normal one, the first of that quality you see in the game. Her drops are improved in v1.08, like all of the Act Bosses, so you may get multiple blue items and even some Rare or Unique or Set items now.
Use the blood lake in the second room to run in circles around if you can't go toe to toe with Andariel, a common problem for ranged attacking characters early on. Poison antidote potions are very useful, as are items that cut poison duration. You should find some in Act One, save them to wear for Andariel.
- It is certain that we face the demon queen, Andariel, who has corrupted the Rogue Sisterhood and defiled their ancestral Monastery. This does not bode well for us, my friend.
- Ancient Horadric texts record that Andariel and the other Lesser Evils once overthrew the three Prime Evils -- Diablo, Mephisto and Baal -- banishing them from Hell to our world. Here, they caused mankind untold anguish and suffering before they were finally bound within the Soulstones.
- Andariel's presence here could mean that the forces of Hell are once again aligned behind Diablo and his Brothers. If this is true, then I fear for us all.
- You must kill her before the Monastery becomes a permanent outpost of Hell and the way east lost forever.
- Andariel has desecrated all we hold dear. She must not be permitted to serve Diablo.
- Destroy her! Her corruption of our Order must be undone!
- Send Andariel back to the Hell she came from!
- Diablo is heading east for some foul purpose. And the only passage east is through the Monastery gate. Obviously, Diablo summoned Andariel to block any pursuit.
- For her part Andariel hopes to win Diablo's favor... the lesser demons are always vying for positions of power within the unholy hierarchy!
- You're going after Andariel?
- ... One of my wagon wheels is in need of repair. I'll be under the wagon, if I'm needed.
- I can imagine a thousand different ways to kill Andariel. You need only choose one.
- The mapmakers tell us the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
- Our way east is a line that runs through Andariel's stronghold, the Monastery.
- You have done much to help us, but I sense that this has only fueled Andariel's fury. She will not stop until we are all dead.
- You must kill Andariel before her army can gain the upper hand.
- If you are the hero that you seem to be, now is the time to prove it.
- It is clear that Andariel is acting on behalf of Diablo to prevent anyone from following him eastward. Her defeat would allow you to continue the pursuit.
- Ancient lore has it that while Andariel was spawned in the Burning Hells, she is not fond of fire.
- Have you stumbled upon that Demon Queen, yet? I hear she's quite the beauty... as far as Maidens of Anguish go, that is.
- Deckard Cain has important information about Andariel.
- May I remind you that my caravan can only go east, if the Monastery is cleansed?
- Finally, we may rejoice!
- We owe you a debt we can never repay. I only hope that in time we will be able to rebuild our Order.
- All our thanks go with you, my friend.
- You'll probably go east now... It was good to know you. I hope you'll come back if you ever need anything.
- This is a great victory indeed, but many more battles await. I will accompany you on your journey, lending what assistance I can...
- Remember... Diablo is still out there, seeking something in the desert. I'm afraid that this nightmare will not end until you find what it is that he seeks.
- I'm going to party like it's 999!
- Andariel's death brings about renewed life for us all. We mourn the loss of our dear Sisters, but at least now we can get on with our lives.
- I... may have misjudged you, outlander. You are a true hero and testament to the noble spirit which has inspired our Order for generations.
- Fare well... my friend.
- The caravan is prepared. We may now journey eastward to Lut Gholein.
|Quests of Diablo II - Quest Items [e]|
|Diablo II||Lord of Destruction|