What are you favorite untwinked builds to play through the game with?

NorthDakota

Aug 10, 2012
I've been enjoying playing some untwinked builds through the game lately, and I was wondering what your guy's favorites are so I can have more ideas for what to play! Late game mfing and leveling is sort of wearing me out a bit, so I've been playing more untwinked characters and enjoying the gear I've been finding. I've been struggling my way through with a holy freeze paladin but hoo man it's a struggle. Attack rating is such a chore.

Anyone have really fun untwinked builds they play? Extra points for smooth/relaxing builds, extra points for less meta ideas.

I've had great fun with Holy Freeze Zealot and Aggressin (Dragon Claw Sin), also a War Cry Zerker with 2Her is safe and I thought fun (if a bit slow). Honestly, pure trapper is also a blast to play untwinked, as is Fishymancer, I think. I've had great fun with those. I also played a passive zon (which wasn't exactly fun, but largely driven by tourney rules and drops).

I love to play a singer barb through the game. The only thing that drives me insane when playing untwinked is to get through the Flayer Jungle in Hell. Singer can get through it pretty easy because he stuns, so I love him. Other than that I haven't tried many unconventional builds.

Reactions: NorthDakota
I love the fishymancer, the only real pain is the maggot lair. Definitely shop a teleport staff as soon as you can to help with telestomping. Its expensive (repairs), but makes that area tolerable. The fishymancer can clear all the areas and is a build that allows a bit more passive play style - i.e. you can literally just let your summons get everything while you sit back and have your favorite beverage.

I don't really like being frustrated from slow progress, so my favorites untwinked builds are mostly the usual cookie-cutter builds that aren't dependent on good weapons.

Sorc: Blizzball + static
Necro: CE + amp + whatever (Bone or summons)
Paladin: Hammerdin
Amazon: Java with mix of light/poison + jab
Barb: Everything is terrible, pick your poison. Singer or 2x Black Frenzy can beat the game... eventually.
Druid: Fire till A5 NM, respec to Windy + PI solution by A2 Hell
Sin: Fire till A5 NM, respec to LS, DS, FB.

Sniper assassin (super easy for almost all game)
Spectral amazon (irresistably versatile)
Leapin barbarian (speed independent, crushing crowd control)
Skeletons and mages summoner necromancer (nothing immune, 20 skill points left for customization)

Sniper assassin (super easy for almost all game)
Spectral amazon (irresistably versatile)
Leapin barbarian (speed independent, crushing crowd control)
Skeletons and mages summoner necromancer (nothing immune, 20 skill points left for customization)
I'm going to need you to elaborate what a sniper assassin and spectral amazon are? Because that's got to sound way cooler than it actually is.

• Haha
Reactions: coju and Kinkara
I've had great fun with Holy Freeze Zealot and Aggressin (Dragon Claw Sin), also a War Cry Zerker with 2Her is safe and I thought fun (if a bit slow). Honestly, pure trapper is also a blast to play untwinked, as is Fishymancer, I think. I've had great fun with those. I also played a passive zon (which wasn't exactly fun, but largely driven by tourney rules and drops).
Howd you get through with your holy freeze zealot? did you aura swap a lot in hell or what?

Lots of crushing blow, and might merc, and some running away when needed. In all seriousness, if you can get solid CB, holy shield helps with max block and defense with limited trade off for synergies. Smite as needed for real nasties, and he’s quite solid.

It’s been quite a few years since I’ve done this, so a bit hazy (and three way dance pally died at ancients, but that was while tree ruled out and gear limitations). I’m actually doing one of these as S/U tourney playthrough in most recent SPF tourney, so may have updated feedback in short order.

You're welcome.

Speaking of untwinked builds, are there any particular druid builds that splits between summons, elemental skills and shapeshifting (arch-druid?)? I think I've only seen combinations of two skill trees but not three, at least not with any focus on the third. And with the loot being unpredictable, such a druid could take advantage of most kinds of powerful items he came across.

Reactions: Swamigoon
The first one that came to my mind is a "flaming rabies" werewolf, in which a skill in the summon tree synergizes Rabies, and skills in the elemental tree synergize Fire Claws. But I don't feel those synergy skills make him an arch-druid, because that build's focus is still on the shapeshifting skill tree.

I've never tried one myself, but I remember a couple of posts/guides that recommended a Buriza-Do-Kyanon for a hunter's (summoner's) ranged weapon, and also for a shapeshifter's (melee with a crossbow) weapon. An untwinked druid might never find that unique ballista, but regardless, perhaps this may provide some inspiration for an untwinked arch-druid hunter:
  • Summon some nice pets:
    • Most hunters use Dire Wolves and/or Grizzly.
    • Heart of Wolverine improves every melee and missile attack.
    • If you choose to spend lots of time mixing it up while shifted, a Carrion Vine might be a desirable defensive bloodsucker.
  • Depending on monsters encountered, either:
    • Support the pets with ranged attacks, or
    • Shapeshift, using your bow to melee alongside them.
  • Complement with an elemental spell:
    • A defensive player might want a nice Cyclone Armor to absorb a few hundred cold/fire/lightning damage points.
    • A Hurricane might only last ten or so seconds, but if cast right before shifting, its temporary "aura" can soften up enemies right as you start attacking them in your wereform.
    • Or, of course, Armageddon could be recast at will, whether in wereform or lanky-form.

Reactions: Friiser and Noodle
I had some ideas of combinations, three to be exact. It's mighty hard to obtain three damage types like a sorceress archmage but then, a druid is not a total spellcaster so it's reasonable that the damage will be weighted towards physical and the ability to use a weapon opens up for a lot of versatility as well. A big advantage of being able to shift in and out of human form is that you can use curses liberally from wands and whatever and then shift to take advantage of them in melee, like a wand of life tap.

Of course, being untwinked you will likely find stuff that excels at one or two of the areas but not all three, but on the other hand you can also pretty much count on finding stuff that is useful for you in some way.
Maxed Hurricane - Twister - Dire Wolves - Fury
Fire mage to be guarded by wolves and wind.
8 Werewolf
Heavy armour, matching white wolves and wind.
Staying power, good against small groups. Weaken packs with wind or flank them as werewolf while dire wolves tank.

Maxed Rabies - Spirit of Barbs - Fissure - Firestorm
10 Poison Creeper
Lightning mage to add area damage.
Light armour
Swift offense, hit and run with rabies or ranged fire. Wastes large crowds with rabies and fissure. Many annoying poison resistant monsters are sensitive to fire. Only needs to hit once with rabies so less need for points in werewolf, he can use a weapon full of just Shael and Eth runes if needed.

Maxed Grizzly - Volcano - Molten Boulder - Fire Claws
Cold mage to freeze for volcanoes.
8 Werebear
Medium armour, matching volcanic rock.
Heavy hitting against single targets or small groups. Weak but offensive bear will be helped by freezing and boulders breaking up packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swamigoon
I always like a Frenzier, especially through normal. Use the underappreciated Battle Cry coupled with shout, and you have good survivability.

The first one that came to my mind is a "flaming rabies" werewolf, in which a skill in the summon tree synergizes Rabies, and skills in the elemental tree synergize Fire Claws. But I don't feel those synergy skills make him an arch-druid, because that build's focus is still on the shapeshifting skill tree.

I've never tried one myself, but I remember a couple of posts/guides that recommended a Buriza-Do-Kyanon for a hunter's (summoner's) ranged weapon, and also for a shapeshifter's (melee with a crossbow) weapon. An untwinked druid might never find that unique ballista, but regardless, perhaps this may provide some inspiration for an untwinked arch-druid hunter:
  • Summon some nice pets:
    • Most hunters use Dire Wolves and/or Grizzly.
    • Heart of Wolverine improves every melee and missile attack.
    • If you choose to spend lots of time mixing it up while shifted, a Carrion Vine might be a desirable defensive bloodsucker.
  • Depending on monsters encountered, either:
    • Support the pets with ranged attacks, or
    • Shapeshift, using your bow to melee alongside them.
  • Complement with an elemental spell:
    • A defensive player might want a nice Cyclone Armor to absorb a few hundred cold/fire/lightning damage points.
    • A Hurricane might only last ten or so seconds, but if cast right before shifting, its temporary "aura" can soften up enemies right as you start attacking them in your wereform.
    • Or, of course, Armageddon could be recast at will, whether in wereform or lanky-form.
This is such a useful post it almost qualifies as a guide.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High