Tournaments: How to increase participation?

What are general thoughts about S&E in tournaments.
I wouldn't change that rule. When I'm playing hardcore I only S&E from town just to be sure I'm not doing something cheesy ... but maybe that's just me being crazy.

If the mechanics of S&E in Single Player were the same as on Battle.net (where the game keeps going, and the monsters keep coming to kill you when you hit Esc) I might feel differently. Hitting Esc, and then Save and Exit, while the monsters are still trying to kill you, and you're probably in a panic is something of a skill. I've certainly read hardcore posts from people on Battle.net who tried to S&E, and in their panic ended up in some random game menu while the monsters finished off their character (um yeah, they would've been better off continuing to play) ... But in Single Player, it's totally different. All you have to do is hit Esc and everything stops. No skill involved. You just need to know where the Esc key is located ... (I'm not impressed).

I guess bottom line: Are we Hardcore or not?

Hardcore

noun
1. the most active, committed, or strict members of a group or movement.

adjective
1. highly committed in one's support for or dedication to something.

I guess bottom line: Are we Hardcore or not?
Well you know, there are two kinds of hardcore players: the good hardcore players, and the bad hardcore players.

The good hardcore players...<i let you go there>

Anyway, for me the discussion here is about the little things that can be opened to have more participation.

IMO those kind of tournaments are a shared personal journey in a given set of rules. Some could be tuned (MP/SP, HC/SC with elimination on death, Extended stash or not, etc.), and in the middle of that the S&E could be. Score is here for bragging support, showing how far it went, or how well, but that's not a strict competition as it can be with MF/RF tournaments.

So... yes, basically there could be a Hardcore set of ruling, and a Softcore one. Or accept each player to tune down/up his journey constraints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pb_pal and Vang
What are general thoughts about S&E in tournaments. I know they are shunned, but really outside of normal how often do they apply?

In most games on normal I die without a S&E because I got trapped and you can see the death ahead of time. In most late NM/Hell there isn't even a chance to do that as your already dead by the time you process it. Would this be an option to include (maybe as mentioned on the "easier tournament track")
Why not go a bit further and do events in two groups? One for the HC/single death players who love the extra challenge and another one for less experienced or people who enjoy a more relaxed playstyle where a single death isn't the end of the event for you?

Reactions: Vang
If an event had points you could halve the points for each death ending at 1 min.

Eg. Kill Baal = 8 points
After 1 death kill Baal = 4 points
After 2 deaths = 2 points
After any further deaths = 1 point.

But generally it is the same question as we have with PvP. Changing the rules isn't the biggest barrier to entry. It is time and the adjustment to think about the build in a different way.

Reactions: Vang
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High