The Jason Bourne Mafia Game

Shroud, thanks for hosting. You clearly went out of your way to create a creative narrative. That said, a vanilla game would have better for me as all of my efforts were frustrated (prior to my self-sacrificing attempt to take out Drixx.)

In the future I'll try to be more involved in the "dead thread". It was pretty "dead" in there (pun intended) for the first few days. Then, after the massacre, I got busy and stopped checking. (I did pay attention to the game thread, however.)

Thank you for hosting, SS! It was an interesting game, and fairly frustrating also. Mostly by my own doing, as I misinterpreted the way my role worked. I should have clarified it, but I felt it was clear as it was written, and that my vote would not show if I voted for D2DC, which is why I was voting so much. Either way, everyone wanted to lynch me, which is typical.

Mutli mafia games are always tough to balance, as crossfire is an issue that is hard to plan for.

I dislike the randomness of the night actions, although I do find it interesting. But in the end randomness just makes it harder to discern what is actually going on and do use information to judge alignment, which is the fun part of the game.

Re: General Thoughts
I really like the thought behind this setup. It would have been really cool if there had been more activity or more players in general. As it was, I think it suffered from over-mechinization... things got in the way of each other and stacked oddly a couple of times, while other times mechanics just didn't do anything. Not sure if more players would have helped, but something to give more 'room' for the global mechanics to not affect micro-mechanics so hard. Anyway, frustrating as hell, and just as fun... good one.

Re: Voting

My particular issue with that was/is I would rather have the rules spelled out prior to the game, and if any discrepancies arise, the literal word of the rules as previously stated should be used to resolve. At least, that's always been my theory on having rules...

In any advent, I like the "half-of-living-players rounded down + 1" model better anyway.

The only good part of my predicament is that I can picture Zemaj behind a soundproof window screaming his lungs out but I can't hear anything.

Zemaj is literally pounding his skull on his desk, I'm sure.
Actually, no... upon reading of my death, I felt an immediate and massive spike in my frustration and general annoyance. Then I just as quickly relaxed completely. Being dead is the ultimate panacea for a frustrating mafia game... there is nothing you can do, so just sit back and watch the show, post in the dead thread and keep your fingers crossed. It also helped that, despite being horribly wrong, I feel I had done my due, and had probably outlived my usefulness anyway.

So I ask - am I over reacting? If so, then I'll offer an apology to Shroud.

Yes and no. I get the massive frustration, and also wanting to vent it. I also get displeasure over seeming inconsistency. But I also get having this awesome setup envisioned, then having to keep fixing things as two things interact unexpectedly. While it was poor form imo, he has offered explanation.

So yeah... don't see any need for anyone to apologize. SS made some bastard calls, you called him on it, he essentially admitted such. Another game of mafia in the books! :D

@Leopold Stotch
For the record, I'm roleblocking you next time :mad:

Last edited:
As to the Scum Chats, they aren't in a Quick topic format. They were all in PM thread. Since its difficult and time consuming to copy and past multiple PM's, I'm just going to invite everyone to those PM chats, view whenever.

Actually, my plan would lean heavily on this.. is it standard.to.reveal roles.on death, or just alignment?

Standard here is to have full reveals (role, alignment) on a lynch but not on a night kill. That information goes to whomever killed the party in question.

Its funny, like every couple years we get a run of mafia games together, and then nothing again for the next couple years.

Its funny, like every couple years we get a run of mafia games together, and then nothing again for the next couple years.

Not enough people seem to want to or be able to host. Most play, but everyone should take a turn hosting, it's only fair. Some people like @Prestige7 rarely watch the forum or post anything except when there's a game going.

This doesn't even count people that aren't here and haven't played in months. Like @Bad Ash.

Not enough people seem to want to or be able to host. Most play, but everyone should take a turn hosting, it's only fair. Some people like @Prestige7 rarely watch the forum or post anything except when there's a game going.

This doesn't even count people that aren't here and haven't played in months. Like @Bad Ash.

I've been crazy busy at work recently. Things should lighten up by mid July. I'd be willing to host after that--although it would likely be relatively vanilla because I have no idea how to do it.

I like to host games as a creative outlet and writing exercise, but the last few I've tried I ended up getting busy and missing deadlines, which was frustrating for all those involved, so I've said I'd not do it again until I had the time and energy to actually devote to doing it correctly.

Things are a lot better now though (new, far less stressful job), so maybe I could take a go at it. I'd like to run another WIFOA game, but I'd need at least 12 players to make it good.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High