TC3 Hunting Tournament winter 2018 - Sign-up and running thread

Started playing a sorc using the charged bolt / nova combo. Got to lvl 19 and got leaf. used up 2 hours. I skipped the catacombs lvl 2 waypoint on my playthrough but apparently its one teleport from the lvl 3 entrance. lvl 3 is like 15-20 seconds of running with no boss packs. Idk if i should keep the map or try to find a gem shrine map and run that for topazes. Found a 27% nagelring in act 2 so thats nice.

Started before going to bed last night. My plan is to make a Curses-and-Golem Necro, the ultimate merc helper that won't need to kill much himself.

A very strange experience, this constant stress of trying not to waste any valuable time! Totally different from what I usually do. I even got stressed because my hotkey setup was mapped after a Sorc (my latest created/played character) and I had to switch around the keys so I can map newly acquired skills the way I want to.
No time for shopping any good 2s helms, just go with a Cap I found and the first other I saw for sale (another Cap). No time for shopping a decent Scepter either but I found one already in Blood Moor, with some +%ED and lightning damage. Will probably not need a better melee weapon.

Halfway around the Cold Plains perimeter, I was getting pretty close to lvl 8, so I went into the Burial Grounds and soon completed the level-up on the undead there (they give much better XP than the Fallen packs on the Plains). Hired rogue and powershopped 3s Long Bow from Gheed (took about 15 trips), put a ruby in it, soon to be followed by a sapphire and another ruby. All other non-topaz gems will be sold for gambling money. Pretty quickly cleaned out the rest of these early areas, then went powershopping for 3s Ring Mails (I've lucked out with the Camp layout with WP close to Charsi). Took maybe 30 trips to get the first one, then I got the second about half a dozen trips later. What luck!

If I need to kill something quickly, I use Amp + javelin tossing. Pwnage so far.

Two topazes found. Not quite level 12 yet. Will do my first boots + gloves gambling at clvl 13. Have decided to sell all jewelry I don't wear as well, since there is so little left to play once I get the Cube, and far too much item administration to keep them around to cube.

Time used: 1h 15 min
I am pleased with my performance, but my brain was completely fried when I saved...

[Highlight]Xyx the Necromancer and a Fire Rogue, level 11, Stony Field next[/Highlight]

Last edited:
Found a envy jool right off tha bat in cold plains :)
Gonna do like 3 Burst of speed, 1 Cloak of shadows, rest into Fist of Fire.
Goal is to get a Claw socketed with Tal runes, shield with Diamonds, gloves, boots, rings, amulet with MF, Armor and helm with Topazes.
Blessed aim act 2 merc???

Got a godly Stony Field map. Poor Rakanishu, gonna get killed soooo many times :D

View attachment 7738

Last edited:
Holy Fire paladin reminds me of my holy frost zealot I made back in the day. That ranks close to the top of my favorite build.

I'm still new (again) to the single player experience. Do gem shrines stay static with the single player maps?

Holy Fire paladin reminds me of my holy frost zealot I made back in the day. That ranks close to the top of my favorite build.

I'm still new (again) to the single player experience. Do gem shrines stay static with the single player maps?

No the gem shrines are not static.

I am gonna make a little YT video about this tournament and perhaps draw more people to the forums :)

I also made a HF Paladin for my first character in this tourney. Had some decent luck so far, just over 6 hours in. Rushed for the cube and don't regret it as I'm having terrible luck with finding gem shrines. Have had incredible luck gambling but terrible luck with shopping the few things I needed to shop for. Map rolls are pretty good. Enjoying the character which may inspire me to continue playing the character or respec him after the tourney is done. Good luck to everyone else!

So what's everyone's strategy? Gear up first for awhile, and if so, have you set a deadline after how many hours you run your personal target(s) exclusively? Or running the target right after getting cube? Intuitively I'd get the cube and start running Andy ASAP, but I'd be interested if there are other approaches. :)

I got the cube and did some countess. After getting leaf and a few chipped topazes, I went shrine hunting / farming. When I got an exp shrine, i went to do halls of the dead lvl 2 and 3 at players 8. Got me up to lvl 24 pretty darn fast. Leaf and firewall make a killer combo. I have like 750 avg fire damage per second with it. About 3h 15mins played. I have 1 square topaz but thats about it

I'm in with a Barb. Starting as soon as I get a counter.

Edit: 1 hour of play in, I've only just rescued Cain, and not a single topaz.

I'm rusty! Might enter a few different characters, as I went for Barb being in the single pass mindset. 15 hours is the limitation, not single pass. Need speed and power!

Last edited:
I'll join with an Assassin. Gonna be a fire trapper, as I plan to continue on with her into Hell with it.

Leaf staff for weapon and mf everywhere else is my plan so far. Will have to read up on targets to run and etc first though.

I play /p1 while questing through normal and nm, and only gradually bump up to /p8 on leveling targets. For Act 1 and 2, that's Rakanishu and Beetleburst.

For clarification, am I allowed to progress further than getting the cube, as long as I farm anything prior to it?
I'm wondering if power leveling at Beetleburst is allowed in this tourney.

Oh, this seems fun, I'll slide in a little late here and see what I can do this weekend.

Will probably not do anything too optimized, and instead play some sort of quirky low level gimmick build, because when do you really get the chance to do such a thing?

Who needs optimization when you can let RNGesus take the wheel anyways.

I play /p1 while questing through normal and nm, and only gradually bump up to /p8 on leveling targets. For Act 1 and 2, that's Rakanishu and Beetleburst.

For clarification, am I allowed to progress further than getting the cube, as long as I farm anything prior to it?
I'm wondering if power leveling at Beetleburst is allowed in this tourney.

Nightmare?

I thought Dry Hills in Normal was the last area allowed to run?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High