TC3 Hunting Tournament winter 2018 - Sign-up and running thread

Keyra is now in act 2. 55 min andariel kill, 15 min behind speedrunners practice times lol.

Already found bases and runes for Zephyr, Leaf and Stealth, the only thing i lack is experience (lvl 13 currently).

View attachment 7758

How well would running Cave/Crypt/Mausoleum sparkly chests work for the purpose of this tourney? They can roll desired quality of green or gold, and when that happens, you could get more than one item in the drop.

EDIT: Xyx the level 23 Necromancer is now done. The Act II areas took 2h 43min. I could afford a more leisurly pace, which was much less tiring and more enjoyable.
The whole thing took me 9h 21min. I thought 15 hours would be too short. Nice to see that he (and I) was up to the challenge.

What you guys are doing is way out of my league. I couldn't enjoy playing any other way than I do. Too much freedom otherwise, too many decisions to make. And being able to make those decisions while the clock is ticking, too. (okay, most of it can probably be planned outside gaming sessions, but still...)

Next character I play will definitely be back to taking 25 hours to get the Cube...

Last edited:
How well would running Cave/Crypt/Mausoleum sparkly chests work for the purpose of this tourney? They can roll desired quality of green or gold, and when that happens, you could get more than one item in the drop.

EDIT: Xyx the level 23 Necromancer is now done. The Act II areas took 2h 43min. I could afford a more leisurly pace, which was much less tiring and more enjoyable.
The whole thing took me 9h 21min. I actually though 15 hours would be too short. Nice to see that he (and I) was up to the challenge.

What you guys are doing is way out of my league. I couldn't enjoy playing any other way than I do. Too much freedom otherwise, too many decisions to make. And being able to make those decisions while the clock is ticking, too. (okay, most of it can probably be planned outside gaming session, but still...)

Next character I play will definitely be back to taking 25 hours to get the Cube...

Play the way you enjoy! I'm recording it all and I was chatting about how I was automatically playing like a typical untwinked character, and then discussed how much you might struggle to change to a fast paced rushing style. 5 minutes later, you posted about your 5 hour mark :rolleyes:

I made a leaf and finally realised that FoF is not phoenix strike :rolleyes: I also crappy shrines and had to run the cube twice because I forgot to pick it up - catastrophic so far! Oh, and I can't FoF with Gull if I have/find it...

Just keep Gull on switch and use the 3rd Charge from FoS (the one that gives fire duration)

@jiansonz I hear you! It is definitely a challenge for me to shift from my usual slow methodical ways. I keep on dropping back into that mode and having to focus to get back up to speed. At times I'll find myself just sitting staring at the screen while thinking about different options, and then realise that the clock is still running and I should save my thinking for later (or at least run and think at the same time).

Having said that, BaneAshBites has hit the 8 hour mark and is maybe level 22.

Reached the Cube at the 4 hour mark and was able to make Stealth by cubing some Nefs. Leveled to 21 in the Dry Hills (the highest area level we have access to), probably would have been better leveling in a slightly lower level area with a higher boss density though?

At level 21 was able to make Zephyr, once again from cubing Nefs. Originally I'd planned on leveling to 24, but I was impatient so I headed back to Act 1 to see what my maps were like. Ended up with a nice little route:
  • Cold Plains to check a shrine close to the waypoint;
  • Stony Field for Rakanishu who was a couple of steps from the waypoint (see below). A Poison Creeper cast into the middle of the stone circle would often take care of him and all his minions. When it didn't we would have to chase him down.
  • Dark Wood for Treehead, who was close enough to the waypoint to start running as soon as we appeared (see below). It was a race to see whether Floria could pick him off with her bow (3os Comp Bow: RalRalSapphire) before BaneAshBites could reach him. There was also a shrine nearby, but unfortunately in the complete opposite direction to Treehead, still worth checking though.
  • Inner Cloister for Bone Ash. There was usually a boss pack just outside the door on the right side and then another one just inside the door. There would sometimes be a third boss halfway down the Cathedral and then Bone Ash himself.
View attachment 7770

View attachment 7769

After a couple of hours of this run, I decided I really wanted to be running Andy. My Andy map was terrible though. So, I bit the bullet and rerolled my maps. First time for me to ever hit the Multiplayer button. I then spent at least 30 mins trying to get a map that wasn't terrible. Quite a few that would have been fantastic with teleport. Eventually settled on one that is much longer than I would like but will do me for now.

I started the journey by rushing to Countess Runs, starting the runs at P1 and ramping up the players count as I got stronger. I only needed runes for Stealth and Leaf, and fortunately the Countess cooperated. I've had runs where the Eth rune would never drop, so I was glad to see it drop early. Static Field made short work of P8 boss packs, with charged bolt and later nova as the finisher. I grabbed the cube 58 minutes in, just reaching level 18 in time to incorporate teleport into the leveling/gearing phase. I had forgotten to skill telekinesis at level 17, but the Book of Skill saved me in that regard.

I have 2 nearby shrines in the Black Marsh, and 3 shrines in the Stony Field that I checked for gem and exp. shrines. There were 2 additional shrines in the Stony Tomb where I leveled up to 26 by the 2 hour mark. I shopped MF gloves and boots from Elzix during these runs since the entrance to the rocky waste was on his side.

I respec'd to firewall and checked my MF target options. Catacombs is decent, but Coldcrow, Rakanishu, and Treehead were distant. MP games are slow to create, so I decided to forgo rerolling any maps and run Andariel only.

Awesome FCR/MF ring.
JMmX4vv.jpg

Actually a rare find in Act 1 norm. I think only the Catacombs Ghouls can drop Isenhart's Case here?
DqWMDZg.jpg

I quickly found Hsarus' belt and a life SC to boost life pool. Died one time playing inventory tetris while being poisoned down to 1 health- a phantom fireball from a Shaman got me. 5 hours in as of now.

The Cave is area level =2 and so poppables can't drop any set or unique items, which have a min qlvl =3.
The Crypt and Mausoleum are area level =3 and so can only drop 3 of the TC3 S/Us from poppables.
Reference: This nice guide by Quickdeath https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:Sparkly_Chests_v1.10,_by_Quickdeath

What might be interesting is racking in the Tower (area level =7) for the qlvl 7 wand, staff and scepter (item types that are three to four times less likely to drop from monsters than the other item types) ... if you get to a stage where these are the only items you still need.

@NanoMist That sounds terribly efficient. I bet you'll have a good chance at victory again. Then again luck will still determine much obviously.

I'm currently running Coldcrow. Runs take some 37 seconds, long S/E time included. Not great but not too bad either. Mf is close to 200%, main focus is on finding Gull for 100% more, then I'll probably switch to Rakanishu. When I was doing him for a bit earlier, I was also including Tristram, but drops were terrible there. I don't have the feeling it is worth it.

I just got my character started this afternoon: Barbarian Torc_CairnIII (in honor of our TC3 tournament). His will be a bit of an unconventional build, but I never planned to be too competitive with this anyway. He should be lots of fun to play, and a pretty fast monster slayer.

After 50 minutes, I managed to rescue Cain and have a great Dark Wood WP just next to Treehead. Before logging off I went back to do the Den of Evil quest, and noticed a gem shrine on the way. I still had not found any topaz, so after clearing the Den I went back and tried my luck:

Spent just under 3 hrs today over 3 sessions.

1st sessions was spent on finishing sewer/den for the extra 2 skills, and rolling a 3 shrine map for 5 PTopazes. The session took about 140 or so runs over 1.5 hours.

After the 1st session, I quickly came to realize how important frw was for this tourney, so I decided to run Countess for Zephyr and leveled to 21.

Afterwards, i spent good 30 minutes on rerolling for a decent Andy map, and I am happy I did. The current map has the strairs just around the corner from the wp and a short walk from 3 to 4. It also turns out Rakanishu is just a screen away from the WP, so I have a good map to run for a long while. I tested out a dozen Andy runs on /p5, and decided i'm happy at the current kill speed. So, any extra skill points will now go towards Burst of Speed for the extra frw.

I plan to dedicate 100 runs on andy, and move on to rakanishu + tristram for the remainder of the hours.

Cumulative run time : 4 hrs.

Last edited:
Anybody have a problem with me joining late? I’ve been working a lot because of inclement weather, and I wasn’t sure how much time I would have over the next bit to get a full 15 hours. I think it may be possible, but if the tournament is closed it’s all good.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High