TC3 Hunting Tournament winter 2018 - Sign-up and running thread

First of all ... 19 entrants already, low level madness confirmed !!! This is great guys, good luck everybody.

@Dezrok Rabies definitely has a high novelty value.

@jiansonz Great I could get you out of your comfort zone :).

@drmalawi That's definitely the kind of Rakanishu map you want. Ran a very similar one a lot with my Holy Fire Paladin last time. The pulse was enough to kill him at a distance at /p1, so that saved yet some more time on those runs. And yes, jewels of Envy are one of the nice side effects of this tournament. Speaking of which ...

View attachment 7748

Might be the best Jewel of Envy I have ever found.

Btw, as far as screenshots go: you can post screens about stuff you found in the tournament during the tournament, except for qualifiers. So no TC3s, everything else is fine. Side note: you might be wearing one of the TC3s you found, but not think about it, when posting a non-TC3 you found. Try to avoid that ;).

@ffs (and others) You have to remember that player setting doesn't affect S/U drops. So /p1 is all you need. Obviously gaining some levels is important too, so if you can set the player setting higher without slowing down too much, that's a good thing.

I just sped through the game on the highest setting I could do fast. That was changing between anything between /p1 and /p7 iirc, but mostly /p1 and /p3 I think. That was with a fire trapper though, and a driver who didn't even think about Leaf runeword :(. Holy Fire Paladin for example can mostly play on the higher settings for example, at least iirc.

I ran Countess enough to be able to make Stealth, but was quite fortunate with my map and drops, so it didn't take me too long. I had a ridiculously good 3 shrine map at Dark Wood, so immediately took the time getting 2 topazes up to perfect. After that I went all the way to the cube, spent some more time on another perfect topaz, but then got impatient and rerolled maps. In hindsight I should have continued until I got 2 more perfect ones, but my reasoning was that I'd probably encounter shrines when running specific targets on new maps, which wasn't the case then. It turned out that I was lucky enough to get a great Coldcrow and Andy map after 2 rerolls, but without any shrines on the way. So now I'm torn between just running those with lower mf, or doing that one area (I think it's Dark Wood again) where there's one shrine next to the waypoint.

Anyway, that's my take on it: go through the game fast, up to the cube. Try to gain some decent levels, so you get to lvl 20+ (depends on the build, lvl 24 - 25 should not take too long and is what most people shot for last time; I'm only at lvl 22 now, but that's because I changed from Fire Trapper to DTalon too fast, and the latter isn't the best area runner). In the end, that isn't that important though, as /p1 is what you need anyway for drops. Most important stuff is fast movement speed and mf. Almost any skill can kill fast at /p1 at this stage, so you can pick a lot of different stuff there. After that, but again that is my take on it, you can either try to upgrade runes first (cubing is slow, you want shrines for that), go for Nagelrings (Andy) or try to hit Gull dagger fast (Coldcrow). Actually Rakanishu probably is the best target, but you want to increase mf first, hence one or more of the three targets above first.

@Gynli You are only allowed to go until the area where the cube is. See rule number 1.

Again, good luck everyone !!!

I have to admit, after my initial play earlier, I am tempted to drop to P1 until I get the cube, and then level up a bit with some farming. Anybody have any interesting plans for gambling? I'm focusing on boots/gloves as I would with an ordinary untwined character, hoping for of luck. After that, daggers all the way until I get Gull. After that, probably just whatever I don't have...

Nightmare?

I thought Dry Hills in Normal was the last area allowed to run?

I meant that I will be taking this Assassin over to the untwinked 99er after this tourney is over. So I need to use a build that can take me through normal and nm with at least some ease. For this tourney though, just normal act 2. that's all. =P

@Gynli You are only allowed to go until the area where the cube is. See rule number 1.

Dang, I had wished to power level at Beetleburst, but I guess that's not possible.

I will start either tmr or day after. Gl to everyone~

I haven't started yet, but I also plan on gambling some boots for "of luck" and also a chance at Tancred's Hobnails. Maybe a few circlets too, and hope to get lucky. Mechanic's circlet of luck would be awesome. Mechanic's anything would be better than a 2 socket cap. At the very end I'd gamble my remaining gold on leather armors, caps, and boots.

Holy smokes, we're going to get there! 5 hours and 18 minutes in, we're standing on the stairs to the Catacombs. By far the fastest ever for me. May even be twice as fast as my second fastest. Still not sure if I enjoy it, but it's interesting. :cool:

That's more than halfway. I think I will even have time to think (!) a little on how to optimize my gambling, and also time to actually do it. Getting unusaully rich, from all those gems, amulets and rings I normally don't sell.

My first MF gamble was 21% Fortune boots, something like my 8th gamble at clvl 13. Only 10% chance to get ilvl 17 that I needed, and they rolled upper half Fortune, too. Sweet.

5th topaz in the outdoor Marsh area, I think. 10th (the last I've seen) in Barracks entrance room.

Main skills are Clay Golem (with a few levels in Mastery), level 2 Amp and level 5 Dim Vision (that's where I think DV starts to get reasonably user friendly in Normal).

I had a change of heart and ended up starting a day early. =D

@jiansonz 5 hours!? made me double check the rules to see that this isn't a single-pass ;)

Anyways to my first update.

I followed typical speed running route as I've seen MrLlamaSC do on his speed runs; rushing to Countess, running her for Stealth and Leaf, stopping only for boss packs along the way for some quick levels. Countess was being stingy and dropped me a Tir rune at about 10 or so runs in; but eventually I made a leaf in a 2os plain staff I bought from Akara, and Stealth in a random 2os armor from Charsi.
View attachment 7751
View attachment 7752

After the tower runs, I just sped through rest of the act straight to Andy, finishing the act at lvl 15.
View attachment 7749

Few more mins later, I picked up my cube, and she is now ready to start rerolling a good Andy map.
View attachment 7750

Stealth was just a nice addition to the leaf; I had planned to just go for leaf, but got the Tal/Eth before I got Tir/Ral. I will replace it when I find/cube enough flawed topazes for this neat 3os bp from Fara.
View attachment 7754

I have very minimal experience with the run counter, so i'm not 100% sure if the # of runs is what it says it is. It seems to not register sometimes. Nevertheless, the total run time seems to work fine, so here's the screenshot of the RC for day 1.
View attachment 7753

Plans for her now are...
- Den of Evil/Sewer for 2 skill points
- Reroll Andy map, and farm up for a good while. iirc T72on1 ran her for Nagelrings last time.
- Start picking up items to sell for gambling.

Oh and lastly, I see the rule for muling items off the char, but nothing else. Does that mean I shud assume no extended stash for this tourney? Asides from a stash full of TC3s, I guess.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I only need the stash for the TC3s; and that's only muling off. I'll be fine w/o the extended stash.

Last edited:
@ffs (and others) You have to remember that player setting doesn't affect S/U drops. So /p1 is all you need. Obviously gaining some levels is important too, so if you can set the player setting higher without slowing down too much, that's a good thing.
Um, I thought that players setting affected S/U drops for Andy (p5 is designated best) and for poppables and I'm pretty sure for regular monsters as well. It's just bosses and champs that aren't affected. Right? I probably should go and use the drop calculator to check these things before posting...

I've been going p1, with the plan to stay p1 till I get the cube. Something like Den of Evil, Tristram, Countess, Andy, Radamant, Cube. Then level a bit (to lvl 24ish) at p8 before running the TC3 targets.

BaneAshBites mucked around a bit at the start and hit the Countess at the 1:20 mark - level 9. I then ran Countess to get the runes for Stealth and Zephyr (3xRals to cube to the Ort). An hour later I had reached level 15 and had 4xRal, 7xTal and not a single Eth. Far too much time wasted here so I'll hope for the 2xEths along the way. Pushed on a bit further to the Inner Cloister and level 16.

Somewhere along the way I realised it has been ages since I played a wolf and I really had no idea what gear I should be looking for. So, I stopped and did a bit of research, read up on the skills, looked at breakpoints and class specific IAS, that sort of thing. Have a much clearer picture of where I'm going now.

Another thing I've noticed is that Poison Creeper is killing fast and so I've decided to become a Poison Creeper Wolf and skip the Rabies altogether. A few points in Feral Rage and Werewolf for the FRW and to get 7fpa. Feels like it is going to be a laugh even if it isn't efficient!

Yes, PC is very good, especially early on.

I wanted to go for Zephyr too, but in the end didn't bother to run Countess for the runes, hoping for a lucky Ort later on. Not sure if that can even drop from other monsters than Countess in the areas allowed though. Anyway, so I'm without a Zephyr, but probably should have gone for it.

Uniques are definitely not affected by player setting, and those are the only ones you should bother killing. I'm in doubt about Andy now. Hopefully someone will chime in and give us some insight on it. If that's the case, I'm screwed, because my character can't do her properly.

I mucked around too much on the session this evening. Couldn't really decide what to focus on, so ended up doing everything and nothing at the same time. In the end I kept rerolling maps until I had a good 2 shrine map (both very close to the waypoint) and got the 2 remaining topazes to perfect. Than I rerolled maps until I got a good one for Coldcrow (with Bishibosh also next to the waypoint, although I'll have to check if he can actually drop something useful).

Next time will be devoted to some extended Coldcrow running. If you want a high level of 'ah almost' feelings in this tournament, you should definitely run her. She drops almost exclusively good bases for the tournament, but (almost) always blue and yellow, with the latter really common, which makes for that 'ah almost' feeling.

@Gynli: I understand the usefulness of Stealth but why do you want Leaf for a non-Sorceress?

Yes, I know that it isn't single-pass, but it is for me. Areas I have already played simply do not exist for my characters.

@T72on1: First drop chance for Ort isn't until Travincal or so.

Act bosses are affected by the players setting, because it reduces the risk that some of the drops become no-drops. To reduce the no-drop risk to 0, you need /p5 for Andariel/Duriel, and /p3 for the three prime evils.

I like my new merc's weapon:

View attachment 7755

I just checked with the DropCalc and for Champs, Uniques and Super Uniques players setting makes no difference.

For Andy. The drop chance for Gull with 100%MF went from 1:830 on p1, to 1:567 on p3, to 1:486 on p5, to 1:466 on p7/8.

Regular monsters also show significant improvement of drop odds on higher player settings. That Gull dagger with 100%MF for a regular monster in Tristram goes from 1:139,293 on p1, to 1:68,776 on p5 and 1:60,941 on p8. All of which are pretty long odds.

Just for completeness. That same Gull with 100%MF.
Coldcrow 1:487
Uniques in the Caves Lvl 1 1:974
Champs in the Caves Lvl 1 1:2470
Minions in the Caves Lvl 1 are 1:51,303 on p1, 1:25,331 on p5 and 1:22,445 on p8

Despite the fact that both my Stony Field and Black March maps were godly, the Catacombs maps were awful. So I decided to reroll them. Got a pretty good map already at the first trial, and Andy dropped me a (16%MF) Nagelring at the same time :)

4 hours in, got a second nagelring, hsarus boots and belt from andy! The belt is very nice with the 3 slots it offers. The nagel was a 29% so my MF is somewhere in the 70's.

Just thought I'd share a few of the jewels I've picked up so far :) Not sure what to look for in low level jewels but these seem decent.

Ghoul Heart
Jewel
Required Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xc1e3a862
Item Level: 5
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+3 to Life
11% Extra Gold from Monsters
Requirements -15%

Beryl Jewel of Avarice
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x4f624b61
Item Level: 2
Poison Resist +15%
20% Extra Gold from Monsters

Grim Eye
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x6265d872
Item Level: 7
7% Enhanced Damage
+3 to Life
Fire Resist +14%

Rune Talisman
Jewel
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x646ee134
Item Level: 12
+3 to Dexterity
+14 Maximum Stamina
Cold Resist +14%
Requirements -15%

Death Gyre
Jewel
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x8f85f4e5
Item Level: 7
+2 to Minimum Damage
+8 Defense
Poison Resist +12%
Requirements -15%

Here are my two good jewels, they are sitting nicely in Merc armor :D

Code:
Jewel of Envy
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xccd72550
Item Level: 5
Adds 20 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)

Camphor Jewel of Envy
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0x9f3435e0
Item Level: 15
Adds 20 Poison Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
Lightning Resist +8%

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High